Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tower of Carphin - What do you want to see and expect?

Curious what people will expect to see and what they might want to see as well? Unsure of the level they will start at, I'm guessing it will be 15-30 since they have not shown the full classes that unlock at lvl 35. Which I'm guessing they are doing it to show some more group level gameplay, maybe new class and dungeon mechanics for around that level.

So as the title what kinds of things do you guys think you will see, and want to see in terms of difficulty, mechanics, gear drops, etc.

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I expect people to watch youtube videos of Tower of Insolence and Cruma Tower.
  • When discussing towers, the first things that come to mind are traps, puzzles, scrolls, chests, gargoyles, and prisoners.

I would be thrilled if certain items could only be crafted in a tower and perhaps certain magical items could only be repaired there as well. It would be fantastic if there was also a workshop in the tower that players could use.

Furthermore, it would be interesting if players could rescue NPCs and have them perform various tasks such as tending to their fields (or else), acting as a shopkeeper, or even becoming a consumable item for summoning a fighting spirit.

Certainly, completing a tower like this should offer a high chance of finding a temporary mount that can only be obtained within the tower.

The possibilities for gameplay in the tower are endless.

5131TxAEg9L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • What I expect to see? Literally fuckall. I expect to see the same mobs, with the same non-existent AI, on the same 15 lvls, with the same 4 archetypes and probably same 4 players instead of full 8. I expect to only see a few semi-populated rooms and maaaaybe a boss at the end of a corridor deeper in the dungeon.

What I want to see? All the things I've listed but much better. But as we all know
    ubmumgnqtiwr.gif
  • NiKr wrote: »
    What I expect to see? Literally fuckall. I expect to see the same mobs, with the same non-existent AI, on the same 15 lvls, with the same 4 archetypes and probably same 4 players instead of full 8. I expect to only see a few semi-populated rooms and maaaaybe a boss at the end of a corridor deeper in the dungeon.

What I want to see? All the things I've listed but much better. But as we all know
    ubmumgnqtiwr.gif

Well pretty sure we are going to see a boss so you could head cannon the difficulty level of mechanics you would like to see, and maybe theory craft some potential ideas. This show case is a month out so we might be able to provide some good information here ^_^
  • I was playing the closed beta for once human, I've noticed a pattern of difficulty being more skewed towards casual players with developers scared to make more difficult games. Elden ring should be an example that difficulty can be fine with players.

I have no issue when they get to the boss if they can't beat it, id rather see it with some good mechanics revolving group play and add management where the chance of being wiped is high. So you can feel rewarded when you finally manage to beat it, as well with random elements so it doesn't feel cookie cutter after the first few times upon beating it.

• Mag7spy wrote: »
    Well pretty sure we are going to see a boss so you could head cannon the difficulty level of mechanics you would like to see, and maybe theory craft some potential ideas. This show case is a month out so we might be able to provide some good information here ^_^
    Nah, anything I come up with will not be in that showcase no matter how far away it is :D I'd rather just prepare myself for the worst right now than overhype myself on my own supply of copium and then get disappointed when the showcase is nowhere near what I thought up for myself.

But I agree with George. I pretty much want Cruma or ToI from L2. Both of them are basic as hell, so it's really not a high bar to clear for Intrepid. Just some rooms with some mobs and a boss at the end (with maybe even a mechanic to unlock its room). And if the boss has at least 3 mechanics/abilities - I'll be fine. That's not what I want, but it's smth I'd be fine with seeing.

Here's a video of what I expect. Rooms, mobs, a door that a rogue needs to use an ability on to open, a boss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gCGsBkRHw
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Nah, anything I come up with will not be in that showcase no matter how far away it is :D I'd rather just prepare myself for the worst right now than overhype myself on my own supply of copium and then get disappointed when the showcase is nowhere near what I thought up for myself.

But I agree with George. I pretty much want Cruma or ToI from L2. Both of them are basic as hell, so it's really not a high bar to clear for Intrepid. Just some rooms with some mobs and a boss at the end (with maybe even a mechanic to unlock its room). And if the boss has at least 3 mechanics/abilities - I'll be fine. That's not what I want, but it's smth I'd be fine with seeing.

Here's a video of what I expect. Rooms, mobs, a door that a rogue needs to use an ability on to open, a boss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gCGsBkRHw

I will take the copium for both us then because I can handle if there is less than I expect lol. I do hope that it isn't possible to just stealth things, perhaps there are mechanics within he tower you have to do to progress forcing you to fight somewhat.

Like maybe you need to get certain items from mini bosses that spawn through the tower to get to the second floor. Kind of like 3 keys.
    I will take the copium for both us then because I can handle if there is less than I expect lol. I do hope that it isn't possible to just stealth things, perhaps there are mechanics within he tower you have to do to progress forcing you to fight somewhat.

Like maybe you need to get certain items from mini bosses that spawn through the tower to get to the second floor. Kind of like 3 keys.
    Yep, all of that would be something that I'd like but will not expect to see :D
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Yep, all of that would be something that I'd like but will not expect to see :D

Im sure not everything will be in it being not in alpha 2 yet. But honestly for this video my pre feedback would be to explain different things that can happen and challenges even if they don't have it all in the showcase.

It will give people an idea on what their goal is and allow people to offer better feedback on what they would want for harder difficulty content.

ie mechanics on dungeons, random elements to dungeons and how they might work, mob variety, dungeon mechanics, boss mechanics, random boss modifiers that will change how an entire encounter might work allowing for more replayability, more floors with harder content be it higher or lower, hidden rooms, alternate paths, etc
    Im sure not everything will be in it being not in alpha 2 yet. But honestly for this video my pre feedback would be to explain different things that can happen and challenges even if they don't have it all in the showcase.

It will give people an idea on what their goal is and allow people to offer better feedback on what they would want for harder difficulty content.

ie mechanics on dungeons, random elements to dungeons and how they might work, mob variety, dungeon mechanics, boss mechanics, random boss modifiers that will change how an entire encounter might work allowing for more replayability, more floors with harder content be it higher or lower, hidden rooms, alternate paths, etc
    Ok, that's true. And this would probably be my biggest piece of feedback for purely the showcase itself.

Please, shoot the video beforehand, explore as much as you like and show off whatever you want BUT! Instead of doing a live commentary during the recording, just invite a dungeon/AI/mob/etc design dev onto the showcase stream and co-comment the video together.

In other words, literally do director commentary on the muted video (maybe low sfx/music). You can stop the video at any point and go in-depth on your discussion w/o constantly panicking that you aggroed half the damn dungeon while talking about smth. This way you can show off combat and mob design (if there is anything to show), while also explaining any and all design intricacies and future plans you have. And the commentary would be much better, because devs (and Steven) wouldn't be constantly distracted by the gameplay.

That's my feedback and hope for the showcase.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I expect people to watch youtube videos of Tower of Insolence and Cruma Tower.

Nothing more to add!
  • i expect it to be tall.. like a tower..

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2023
    I expect Steven to get to the gate and say:

"now this is the tower of carphin and we could go on all day about the dangers lurking inside, and I think we should show you!... But first we have to do the attunement quest!"

*queue 2 hour long stream of Steven tanking more group content and showing off the quest log instead*

pyqybrddyhes.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Not really expecting much.

While the Tower of Carphin and Cyclops boss (which we're apparently going to see soon) are needed for the final game for content, neither is really anything special.

The Tower is just a regular dungeon, and the Cyclops is just a world boss, neither is really anything new in regards to systems which is what we need to see. We had dungeons and world bosses both in A1.

I guess hopefully they do the Mage showcase next month too since Carphin and Mages are connected in lore?
    nI17Ea4.png
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    yea, I wanna see a Mage showcase
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • I think we will be invited to the "Tower of Carphin" museum. it won't be a walkthrough.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • I would love to see a new class revel but it might be expecting too much.

Other than that, I would love to see more than just walking around and exploring, but actually organized combat gameplay with the full party of 4 classes we got so far.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to know where the Tower is on the map, due to its impact on the economies of nearby nodes.
  • tautau wrote: »
    I would like to know where the Tower is on the map, due to its impact on the economies of nearby nodes.

The Wreckage of Carphin is a zone in the Riverlands biome.
    "It was a focus of the mages and study of the Aelan Empire. Carphin was a city that had a great mage population, so it had a university there. And things went bad there in the last days of the fall. They made some desperate measures in a really awesome quest series that Scott's written up." – Jeremy Gess
    Wiki*
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • There will some malformed creatures (non mage university staff?) that became Reckless Apprentice Mage Experiments Gone Wrong. Usually is.

I'd like to see a choice point to either kill or (temporarily) recruit some of these.

As you wind upwards with greater difficulty you start to regret your decision not to recruit...
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • I would like to see group pvp. How does the layout of the dungeon facilitate when groups meet each other, in both friendly and non-friendly manners.

Also, does the dungeon allow for groups of different levels to enter and participate in dungeoneering? Like, maybe the higher floors will be for higher levels. How does a high level group skip the lower level content?

I don't expect to have any interesting boss fights, but it would be cool to see something that's more than just a tank & spank and don't stand in the fire.
  • I want to see some puzzles or cool group mechanics
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • McShave wrote: »
    I would like to see group pvp. How does the layout of the dungeon facilitate when groups meet each other, in both friendly and non-friendly manners.

Also, does the dungeon allow for groups of different levels to enter and participate in dungeoneering? Like, maybe the higher floors will be for higher levels. How does a high level group skip the lower level content?

I don't expect to have any interesting boss fights, but it would be cool to see something that's more than just a tank & spank and don't stand in the fire.

Group pvp would be a good question. I know awhile back i had a suggestion where door closes so people can fight a boss without being attacked as well before getting to a higher level.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 2023
    tbh the biggest thing i want from AoC is non linear dungeons much akin to say the everquest dungeons

https://eqatlas.ca/map/solusekseye

Here a map for one as you can see there alot of locations of bosses each with specific loot so you can set a group up in an area and pull to a room (Only possible with long or no leash lines however) or move around to bosses to bosses. I think the old school dungeons were more entertaining thats the follow a set path to the end boss that we see now since it always the same experience every time without any unpredicability you got in the old school games where u could gets adds pull to many get a random patrol or runner they were less predicable and more explorative than the ones we see in games now.

Some even had fake walls/floors/painful traps and so on were u can fall though and end up in a lower depth with no way back up without finding a new escape path or teleporting out if u had that option.

Finding a hidden passage through a fake wall for the first time was a omg kinda moment too back in the EQ days and u just wanted to explore it now that being said we come a long way since those days and you could make these much more interesting like finding buttong or doing puzzle to open up new passages and things.

you could even introduce new thing to the game via dungeons lets say crossbows since that was brought up in last livestream what if you introduced new weapon by hiding them in a random dungeon behind a puzzle and the moment a player solve thats and aquires that weapon (or crafting recipe and once it made) there might be a technological advancement in the world where crossbows start to drop off mobs or crafting weapons drop and so on. So this weapon would be dormant on the server until it been discovered for the first time by somone stumbling across something hidden. (can add achievment too here).
    I think adding new thing to the server by adding secret new thing to dungeons and not tell players about it being added so it a omg kinda moment when it been found would be great.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 2023
    tautau wrote: »

a5hesq7fn848.png

its roughly here on the map the gate icon east of the eastern lake around that area, overlayed the mini map and the world map together to get those locations and the assumption is the gate is the dungeon icon (So under the D in riverlands roughly) which would be most likely the tower.
    the fort walls are most likely nodes aswell
  • WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited February 2023
    I have 0 expectations. There are 100 things I'd love to see but I'm just going to watch what is shown without the burden of expectations. (Although, a few new abilities would be cool :D )
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess I'm expecting to see/hear them talk about encounter design.

It would be nice if they either showed another class or filled out the class kits some more. Also would be cool to see some environmental hazards and/or utility skills.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Might see a party of 8 for the dungeon. I don't expect all 8 classes but we might see mage return.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • OrbificatorOrbificator Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I fully expect a simple walkthrough of a dungeon meant for 8 people but only done with 4. Basically the tank showcase but in the Tower. Will show off some new armor, kill a boss, and end the video.

What I'd hope for is actually having 8 people. Maybe a tease of either bard or summoner.
    u4ud44oeff0w.gif
  • 9fi4q6q94b7w.png

4jc1x2lapkdw.png