Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

On "rotations"

13»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2023
    Pop over to wowhead or something for a guide on a class for any major MMOs and they use the term rotation more as a priority organization for skills... Not a literal lock step rotation...
    They do now, but only because the term "rotation" to a WoW player is synonymous with "what I should cast".

The term came about because in early WoW, most classes literally had a rotation as per my definition above.

The term then moved on to other MMO's as per the above again. It was used almost as a derogatory term for an easy class - one that was so easy it was lmoet like playing WoW.

Eventually WoW class design moved ever so slightly away from rotations, but many players and guides kept the term, as players would look for the "rotation" for their class, without actually understanding the meaning behind the term.

That doesnt mean that how it is used with some WoW sites now is the correct use for the term.

Generally speaking, when players bemoan the notion of rotations in MMO's, they are talking about the literal definition of the term, the original, proper term. They are complaining about simple class design that leaves Ayers with little to think about.

A game that makes players have to think about what to cast isnt something people are complaining about - except seemingly you.

It is worth pointing out here though, the difference between what WoW is doing now with class design and what I have explained above is still significant. WoW is still very black and white, there is always one obvious best thing to cast. With what I have talked about above, the best thing to cast is almost never obvious. It isnt always just a case of casting tour biggest ability as soon as it is up, because you may get far more from that cast if you hold off for a little bit.