Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freeholds: do you want a PvP settings for your freehold?

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited March 2023 in General Discussion
I am curious if freehold owners would appreciate the ability to customize the PvP configurations specifically for their own freeholds. These settings are about the PvP activities in the vicinity of the freehold, and not within the actual residence.
  • 1) full PvP with no flagging, just like the open seas
  • 2) regular flagging
  • 3) no PvP, except if there's war targets or corrupted
  • 4) no PvP at all
  • 5) never let players decide this, it's Intrepid call and everybody should have the same settings

What's your opinion about this?
Would you like this?

What if no PvP gave no bonus of any kind and then the more PvP your freehold is allowed the more bonuses you get?
Most players are grown men, let them handle how much PvP their property allow and bonus them accordindly, even if it's very little... maybe 0.5% of something per "pvp level" from that list

Also, at the freehold gate, it should have a small flag with the color of the settings, if it's a purple flag than people would already know it's a free for all pvp yard, if it is a green flag then people would know it is a no pvp zone, etc. I would add a one week timer for the next settings change. I would add tiny progressive bonus from np pvp up to free for all pvp.

* node's ruined state surpasses all

edit #1:

I think a colorful flag at the freehold gate is good enough:
  • green flag: no pvp of any kind
  • red flag: free to attack corrupted/war targets
  • green/purple/red stripes: normal pvp, follows the server flagging system with no changes
  • purple flag: free for all pvp

n10bhe92y9jy.jpg
      n9lbo3szh0j9.png
      3jdlbubr5f95.png

Literally a flagpole with a flag like that, so you can see from distance the pvp settings from that particular freehold.

Absolutely, need simple rules:
      • only owner could change pvp settings
      • changind settings should have a 7 days cooldown
      • should have a flagpole at the gate, so people can see from distance the pvp setting before they step in the freehold
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
      NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
      My opinion here is that the general idea is good. However, there are two things I wouldn't put up as options.

The first is the option for no PvP at all. That opens up players to creating their own little PvP safe zone in an area where they may be the only person that is in the know. Allowing freeholds to be PvP free completely has some serious repercussions and is best just left out of the game imo.

The second thing I would leave out is having freeholds as beign safe from guild or node wars. These wars should always override any other PvP setting imo.

The above aside, giving players the option to set their freehold as being normal PvP flagging or essentially FFA sounds good to me - though there would need to be an in game visual representation of a freehold set to FFA.
    • Options
      Noaani wrote: »
      My opinion here is that the general idea is good. However, there are two things I wouldn't put up as options.

The first is the option for no PvP at all. That opens up players to creating their own little PvP safe zone in an area where they may be the only person that is in the know. Allowing freeholds to be PvP free completely has some serious repercussions and is best just left out of the game imo.

The second thing I would leave out is having freeholds as beign safe from guild or node wars. These wars should always override any other PvP setting imo.

The above aside, giving players the option to set their freehold as being normal PvP flagging or essentially FFA sounds good to me - though there would need to be an in game visual representation of a freehold set to FFA.

what if the player had the possibility to choose and get bonus from maybe 0% (no pvp atll) up to 3% (for full pvp)
    • Options
      edited March 2023
      I am fond of these settings, specially if there are bonuses associated with each option. If you are wearing the "man of the house pants," you should get some bonuses, even if it's very little.
    • Options
      No, keep it the same for all. I definitely do not need to elaborate why.
    • Options
      AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      While I'm obviously not opposed to the settings given my other previous posts on the matter, I don't really understand the ones you've chosen, so I'll just reiterate what I wanted out of that:

"A Freehold Owner can set a status that prevents them from being attacked on a Freehold as long as any players who signed up as their Defenders are still standing. That player cannot interact with those Defenders or any Attackers either. There is a cooldown once all Defenders have been defeated before the immunity can kick in again. Purpose is to allow people to do Freehold Artisanship safely while under guard."

Anyways, I'm also good with a Free PvP zone, can even be a building.

Set up 9 Freeholds in a big square, 8 are 'stadium seating' and the middle one is just a big battle arena (since Freeholds supposedly can't be placed right next to each other, presumably the FFA PvP zone would extend to the edge of the 'exclusion zone' for the middle one)

Player agency!
      Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
      edited March 2023
      Azherae wrote: »
      While I'm obviously not opposed to the settings given my other previous posts on the matter, I don't really understand the ones you've chosen, so I'll just reiterate what I wanted out of that:

"A Freehold Owner can set a status that prevents them from being attacked on a Freehold as long as any players who signed up as their Defenders are still standing. That player cannot interact with those Defenders or any Attackers either. There is a cooldown once all Defenders have been defeated before the immunity can kick in again. Purpose is to allow people to do Freehold Artisanship safely while under guard."

Anyways, I'm also good with a Free PvP zone, can even be a building.

Set up 9 Freeholds in a big square, 8 are 'stadium seating' and the middle one is just a big battle arena (since Freeholds supposedly can't be placed right next to each other, presumably the FFA PvP zone would extend to the edge of the 'exclusion zone' for the middle one)

Player agency!

I just want to hear people, I'm not really advertising what could be better, the options I brought are just for fights, not related to attacking the freehold itself, it has nothing to do with attackers vs defenders. But maybe having an option that makes your freehold just like a caravan event by having attackers and defenders could be thrilling!

Also, at the freehold gate, it should have a small flag pole with the color of the settings, if pole has a purple flag than people would already know it's a free for all pvp yard, if it is a green flag then people would know it is a no pvp zone, etc. I would add a one week timer for the next settings change. I would add tiny progressive bonus from np pvp up to free for all pvp.

Well, AoC is not a sandbox, so I don't think Intrepid would invest in any sophisticated housing system, I do have a very cool housing system in mind, but I never told anyone. I would ask payment in money if a company develops my housing system design. :#
    • Options
      for me, the second option is suitable, but guys come on, let's be realistic! There will be a 5th option xD
    • Options
      VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
      edited March 2023
      I don't want anyone to be able to attack me on my freehold. Nobody flagged red or purple should be capable of entering a freehold area.
    • Options
      edited March 2023
      A freehold owner should have sovereignty over the rules that apply to his land

• Options
      Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

what if the player had the possibility to choose and get bonus from maybe 0% (no pvp atll) up to 3% (for full pvp)

I cant see any bonus that someone setting up their freehold to use for farming or crafting would want that someone setting their freehold up as a PvP safe zone would care about.

Keep in mind, anything you give players the option of doing, you have to assume players will do. If players have the option of making their freehold PvP free, some players will simply look at freeholds as PvP safe zones they can place down and nothing more.
    • Options

I cant see any bonus that someone setting up their freehold to use for farming or crafting would want that someone setting their freehold up as a PvP safe zone would care about.

Keep in mind, anything you give players the option of doing, you have to assume players will do. If players have the option of making their freehold PvP free, some players will simply look at freeholds as PvP safe zones they can place down and nothing more.

Coud be even xp bonus or how fast the crops grow... crafting speed...

You know in AoC, crafting won't be instantaneous, so if you could get a crafting speed bonus then it would diminish a bit the chance of being ganked
    • Options
      DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
      edited March 2023
      As long as:

1) The freehold owner has exclusive control over the setting.
      2) Guests receive a warning and adequate time to depart so they too get to choose. (Without this, you will 100% have full loot freehold traps).

With those two things, plus active fixes for any exploits when they arise, I think it's a fantastic idea!

It would be great to have places to practice pvp. You could set up a fight club style saloon.

Awesome idea.
    • Options
      edited March 2023
      Diamaht wrote: »
      As long as:

1) The freehold owner has exclusive control over the setting.
      2) Guests receive a warning and adequate time to depart so they too get to choose. (Without this, you will 100% have full loot freehold traps).

With those two things, plus active fixes for any exploits when they arise, I think it's a fantastic idea!

It would be great to have places to practice pvp. You could set up a fight club style saloon.

Awesome idea.

I think a colorful flag at the freehold gate is good enough:
      • green flag: no pvp of any kind
      • red flag: free to attack corrupted/war targets
      • green/purple/red stripes: normal pvp, follows the server flagging system with no changes
      • purple flag: free for all pvp

n10bhe92y9jy.jpg
          n9lbo3szh0j9.png
          3jdlbubr5f95.png

Literally a flagpole with a flag like that, so you can see from distance the pvp settings from that particular freehold.

Absolutely, need simple rules:
          • only owner could change pvp settings
          • changind settings should have a 7 days cooldown
          • should have a flagpole at the gate, so people can see from distance the pvp setting before they step in the freehold
      • Options
        @NiKr @daveywavey @Dygz "Get over here!" ~ Scorpion voice
      • Options
        72tudsnv7mq3.jpg
      • Options
        NiKrNiKr Member
        NiKr "Get over here!" ~ Scorpion voice
        I already said my opinion. Option good
      • Options
        edited March 2023

Coud be even xp bonus or how fast the crops grow... crafting speed...

You know in AoC, crafting won't be instantaneous, so if you could get a crafting speed bonus then it would diminish a bit the chance of being ganked

90%+ of MMO time online is spent at the level cap, making experience meaningless 90% of the time.

Someone that is using their freehold as a PvP safe zone isnt growing crops or crafting.

That's the thing you are perhaps missing. A freehold is for farming, crafting or selling. However, if you allow players to make them a PvP safe zone, that becomes an entirely new use case for them.

Again though, allowing players to set between flagged PvP or FFA is a good idea.
      • Options
        DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

90%+ of MMO time online is spent at the level cap, making experience meaningless 90% of the time.

Someone that is using their freehold as a PvP safe zone isnt growing crops or crafting.

That's the thing you are perhaps missing. A freehold is for farming, crafting or selling. However, if you allow players to make them a PvP safe zone, that becomes an entirely new use case for them.

Again though, allowing players to set between flagged PvP or FFA is a good idea.

I mean no reason they couldn't do both. Use the area to do all your normal freehold stuff and set the flag for the type of pvp you want (or the no pvp flag if you want).

My guess is that an overwhelming majority of players will not activate pvp on their freeholds, which is fine. However, those who do will find their holds will become pvp social hubs, which is great. It would be that roughneck bar you go to on the south side of town when you are in the mood.

It would also give pvp junkies and non crafters a compelling reason to be excited for, and engage with, the freehold system. Also, it could be a great place for guilds to organize pvp practice sessions so they are better prepared and organized.

I see nothing but positives here.
      • Options
        NiKrNiKr Member
        What if this option determined the taxes you pay for your freehold? No-pvp option costs more than a ffa pvp one. And service tax could be inverted, so a tavern/crafting stall service would pay lower taxes from no-pvp freeholds and the other way around.

This would push people towards different setups of their freeholds, but also increase profits of those who go for a riskier setup. A ffa pvp tavern might attract more people, so while service tax will be higher, the pvp setting would be covered by the overall amount of money you receive. And carebear crafting stall would cost a ton to upkeep, but low service tax would allow them to set lower prices and attract more customers that way.

And those who setup freeholds for purely their own benefit and don't want any risk of pvp will have to pay a ton of money.
      • Options
        DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
        Haha!
        Just based on the title, I was going to ignore this thread. I did open it, but didn't make it past the first sentence.
        However... I have been Summoned, so I'm taking a closer look.

I think 1-4 on the OP list sound like acceptable settings included in the Freeholds Permissions options.
        My expectation would be that a warning would pop up when players cross the threshold - similar to what happens when players near the Open Seas and Caravan Battlegrounds.

I don't think PvP needs to have a bonus... and probably should not have a bonus if Ashes is not intending to be PvP-centric, but...
        I already think the Open Seas makes Ashes too PvP-centric for me, so... doesn't really matter to me much if it becomes more PvP-centric.
        Even without the Open Seas - restricting the Permissions changes to once per week would be an automatic deal-breaker for me. I like PvP combat sometimes, but that is for, like, 1 hour out of an 8 hour play session (maybe 2/8??). I might find a 24hr restriction acceptable, but that would be a stretch.

But, I mean...
        I'm a carebear, so...

(Good suggestion for PvPers, Arya_Yeshe)
      • Options
        edited March 2023
        NiKr wrote: »
        And those who setup freeholds for purely their own benefit and don't want any risk of pvp will have to pay a ton of money.
        LMFAO
        Those people just would not play the game.

• Options
        NiKrNiKr Member
        Dygz wrote: »
        LMFAO
        Those people just would not play the game.
        I mean, if the concept of risk/reward doesn't suit them, they wouldn't be playing Ashes in the first place. Also, freeholds will already be expensive for any casual player, so a random player with no time to play would probably not even have a freehold to worry about.

Plus there's always the good ol' trick of "this price is the base one, while all the pvp prices are just cheaper". If it works with death penalties, why not here B)
      • Options
        edited March 2023
        Paying a ton of money to not have PvP in my Freehold Tavern is not what I consider risk v reward. I consider that to be punishing non-PvPers, but...
        Yeah, people who don't like PvP won't be playing Ashes so... I'm pretty confident that exceedingly few Ashes players would pay a ton of money to keep PvP out of their Taverns. It might not actually be zero, but close to it statistically.
      • Options
        NiKrNiKr Member
        Paying a ton of money to not have PvP in my Freehold Tavern is not what I consider risk v reward. I consider that to be punishing non-PvPers, but...
        Yeah, people who don't like PvP won't be playing Ashes so... I'm pretty confident that exceedingly few Ashes players would pay a ton of money to keep PvP out of their Taverns. It might not actually be zero, but close to it statistically.
        I mean, we're gonna be paying taxes on our freeholds. So all Intrepid need to do is say "by default you have a no-pvp zone on your freehold and your taxes are X. But you can change the zone to a semi/full-pvp zone and your taxes will be 0.5X". Literally the same as the death penalty stuff.
      • Options
        edited March 2023

I mean no reason they couldn't do both. Use the area to do all your normal freehold stuff and set the flag for the type of pvp you want (or the no pvp flag if you want).
        There is no reason indeed - but that isnt the point.

We aren't looking at most players and what they will do, we are looking at the edge cases and working out how they will use it, and indeed exploit it.

It comes down to the fairly simple notion of "do you believe that players in Ashes should be able to designate patches in the open world as PvP free or not?".

It isnt about freeholds and activities done on freeholds, because freeholds are open to all players whether they want to participate in those activities or not .

If you do not believe I should be able to set up a PvP free zone close by a major player route or by an important gathering area and then use said PvP area to my advantage, then you should be against being able to set a freehold to being PvP free.

Again though, the rest of the idea is fine.
      • Options
        edited March 2023

My guess is that an overwhelming majority of players will not activate pvp on their freeholds, which is fine. However, those who do will find their holds will become pvp social hubs, which is great. It would be that roughneck bar you go to on the south side of town when you are in the mood.

It would also give pvp junkies and non crafters a compelling reason to be excited for, and engage with, the freehold system. Also, it could be a great place for guilds to organize pvp practice sessions so they are better prepared and organized.

I see nothing but positives here.

Yes, there is a big social aspect in being outside, stepping on grass while PvP is on, would be amazing setting the freehold for free-for-all and let the guild and friend go wild.

• Options
        edited March 2023
        Haha!
        Just based on the title, I was going to ignore this thread. I did open it, but didn't make it past the first sentence.
        However... I have been Summoned, so I'm taking a closer look.

I think 1-4 on the OP list sound like acceptable settings included in the Freeholds Permissions options.
        My expectation would be that a warning would pop up when players cross the threshold - similar to what happens when players near the Open Seas and Caravan Battlegrounds.

I don't think PvP needs to have a bonus... and probably should not have a bonus if Ashes is not intending to be PvP-centric, but...
        I already think the Open Seas makes Ashes too PvP-centric for me, so... doesn't really matter to me much if it becomes more PvP-centric.
        Even without the Open Seas - restricting the Permissions changes to once per week would be an automatic deal-breaker for me. I like PvP combat sometimes, but that is for, like, 1 hour out of an 8 hour play session (maybe 2/8??). I might find a 24hr restriction acceptable, but that would be a stretch.

But, I mean...
        I'm a carebear, so...

(Good suggestion for PvPers, Arya_Yeshe)

Thank you, but my intention with the suggestion was letting people be confortable and decide for whatever settings they want.

I don't think it is important for the game ecology having PvP in every freehold, if a few/some freeholds have PvP off it will change nothing in the big scale, but those people who REALLY want PvP off will be very pleased by this.

But there's still the risk-reward thing, if PvP is on I think at least the crafting speed, crops growth, etc should be faster... I am not saying having bigger output, but being faster. People who risk nothing and chose safety, their buff is safety.
      • Options
        edited March 2023
        NiKr wrote: »
        What if this option determined the taxes you pay for your freehold? No-pvp option costs more than a ffa pvp one. And service tax could be inverted, so a tavern/crafting stall service would pay lower taxes from no-pvp freeholds and the other way around.

This would push people towards different setups of their freeholds, but also increase profits of those who go for a riskier setup. A ffa pvp tavern might attract more people, so while service tax will be higher, the pvp setting would be covered by the overall amount of money you receive. And carebear crafting stall would cost a ton to upkeep, but low service tax would allow them to set lower prices and attract more customers that way.

Tax changes, crafting speed, crops growth, etc, there's many possibilities. Some people will gladly pay a little more for bringing safety to himself and others... but I think it should not be to the extent of bring punishing

I am more favorable of giving speed buffs to that freehold: growth, xp, crafting, animal husbandry etc

I prefer letting the PvP freehold have a bigger yeald, than punishing the no pvp freehold... I don't think the carbears should feel punished... I would rather make them feel greedy about the bonuses the pvp freehold has

Remember boys, the trick is making the carebears feel greed, that's how you pull them out of their confort zones, they don't like plain punishment for no reason. That's why I would have the pvp freehold with better yealds, just some some extra buffs, the buffs shouldn't be overpowered to the point people force themselves into the PvP setting

That's how I see this
      • Options
        edited March 2023
        Voxtrium wrote: »
        I don't want anyone to be able to attack me on my freehold. Nobody flagged red or purple should be capable of entering a freehold area.

I think it would automatically switch people to green when entering a no pvp freehold, just like people automatically go purple when entering the sea

When people leave the zone, then they automatically go back to the previous flag, the sea is like that... the same system should run in the freehold imho

So, the system itself already exists, I am just suggesting that Intrepid add the option to the freehold
      • Options
        edited March 2023
        I don't think people should be automatically penalized in gold or anything else for whatever option they choose.

But having better yealds is reasonable when PvP is on, because then the player will actually have to go outside and work around the freehold with the PvP on... it is a double edged sword in a way B)

If you want to reap the rewards for having PvP on, then go outside!