Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption: Does it / Should it Diminish While Logged Out?

TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
The wiki at this time doesn't specify if corruption diminishes while you're logged out. Being corrupt puts a 60-second log-out timer on logging out - but there's no mention if it diminishes while your logged out.

It kind of feels like it probably should, if you're gone *long enough*. If a player has to leave the game for 2 or 3 months, there's probably no sense in them returning to find out they're still corrupted. If you come back after 2 days, though, it doesn't really feel like it should be gone.

Maybe auto-remove corruption after something like 30 days?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Definitely against this. If you remove any and all amounts of corruption after some set amount of time - you're helping PKers with alts clean their alts w/o losing anything.

If you're setting some veeeery slow decay rate - it's meaningless for the absolute majority of people, and that guy that left the game for months would've returned to a literally whole different game (different nodes, different content, different guilds, different gear progression), so dying a few times to remove his corruption would be the least of his problems.

And if you want to have a quicker timer on that decay - you're helping PKers even more, which is kinda the opposite of what the system is supposed to do.
  • Options
    I can see this being implemented, but it should be at a significantly reduced rate.

I wouldn't want someone to be able to rack up corruption at the end of thier play session, log out for the night and then hop back on the next day with the corruption wiped clean.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In principal, no. Karma should not be worked off by being off line.

However, if the time was measured in weeks to months, then perhaps I would consider some form of offline karma burning.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    NO. not even a slow rate.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I suggest the opposite.

If logged out for an extended time with corruption, it rots your gear away.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The wiki at this time doesn't specify if corruption diminishes while you're logged out. Being corrupt puts a 60-second log-out timer on logging out - but there's no mention if it diminishes while your logged out.

It kind of feels like it probably should, if you're gone *long enough*. If a player has to leave the game for 2 or 3 months, there's probably no sense in them returning to find out they're still corrupted. If you come back after 2 days, though, it doesn't really feel like it should be gone.

Maybe auto-remove corruption after something like 30 days?

I think once a person marks themselves they should stay marked.

Someone may remove the corruption from them, but the marks should be forever.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    pyreal wrote: »
    I suggest the opposite.

If logged out for an extended time with corruption, it rots your gear away.

I like this idea.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Was asked and answered years ago. You will not be able to "afk the bad away" You did the crime, you do the time. (as in grind or death to clear)
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Ashes is designed about risk and reward, The risk, or "reward" for pking is corruption. Removing corruption passively is removing that risk vs reward gameplay loop. Its also rather unfair for the ones that got killed. He killed our raid, looted our stuff, then logged off for a month, and in the mean time played on an alt (or main) and now he logs back in corruption free with our loot!

Passive removal of corruption, no matter the time it takes is antithetical to what the corruption system is designed for.
  • Options
    No I do not think it should go away when logged out. Otherwise I just troll people and log to do it again tomorrow. Where is the real punishment besides logging early? Now If I have to be in game for several hours and wait for it to wear off, that is more obnoxious.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, I think it should stay as is when offline. Being rewarded for not playing isn't a good system I think.
  • Options
    Was asked and answered years ago. You will not be able to "afk the bad away" You did the crime, you do the time. (as in grind or death to clear)

Now that you've mentioned it, I seem to recall such a response, either during an early between-devs discussion or a Reddit Q&A. Most folks seem to agree.

There'll still be some kind of quests to lessen it, as well; As long as there's an option to reduce it by play, then we likely don't need an over-time logged option.

• Options
    Looking for a solution to cleanse your corrupted character in your favorite MMO game? Look no further! Come to my freehold where I offer top-notch corruption cleansing services for all corrupted players. You can rest easy knowing that all dropped loot will be returned to you. I offer the best rates in town and most importantly, our services are completely confidential. Your secret is safe with me! Don't let corruption hold you back any longer. Contact me today to schedule your cleansing session.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    All deaths of the non-corrupted, players or creatures of any kind, should bring corruption to the enviroment where those deaths happened, so stronger mobs could spawn. The seas may turn blood red, the skies dark and ominous, and thunderstorms and blood may begin to rain down. In an area where people tend to hunt peaceful creatures, it could bring corruption and bring some corrupted mostrosities with it ;)
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    corruption would best be reduced with actual in-game time; log in, afk idle run in place, use another account until cleared... as they say, rinse and repeat
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    corruption would best be reduced with actual in-game time; log in, afk idle run in place, use another account until cleared... as they say, rinse and repeat

No AFK mining allowed. All miners are expected to remain at their keyboards at all times, and are required to prove their presence by responding in local when requested by the Supreme Protector or one of his Agents.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The easiest answer to this is no to any period of time. You do the crime you do the time.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Agree - no decrease in corruption for logging off. Corruption is a deterrent, let it remain so.

Arya offers, in a post above, quick cleansing of corruption on his freehold. I will offer even quicker cleansing on my freehold by giving all corrupt players a dirt nap.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited April 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    that guy that left the game for months would've returned to a literally whole different game (different nodes, different content, different guilds, different gear progression), so dying a few times to remove his corruption would be the least of his problems.

And if you want to have a quicker timer on that decay - you're helping PKers even more, which is kinda the opposite of what the system is supposed to do.

You mean that those who go on holidays or must work hard for 3 months have no reason to come back in the game?

It would mean that the game will add some artificial progression « à la New World » and in this case the game would sux a lot!

I think the idea of the OP is good. The corrupted fpk can have fun killing noob but his capacity of nuisance will be limited if it has to disappear for 3 months to be clean.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Myosotys wrote: »
    You mean that those who go on holidays or must work hard for 3 months have no reason to come back in the game?
    No, I mean that dying a few times after 3 months of not playing is not important.
    It would mean that the game will add some artificial progression « à la New World » and in this case the game would sux a lot!
    Mmo always keep some way to endlessly progress. Or they at least prolong the process to its max.
    I think the idea of the OP is good. The corrupted fpk can have fun killing noob but his capacity of nuisance will be limited if it has to disappear for 3 months to be clean.
    Any normal PKer can just go kill some mobs or have their friends kill them. 3 months does nothing for them, because it's pointless to wait 3 months just to PK some more.
  • Options
    Even tough, most people here didn't support the op's idea... what if he is the only one who is right?

Let's spin this around and settle his idea in a better way, just for the sake of brain exercise. If corruption only wears off by time, then the alt is burned for that time, the alt will have the corruption penalties plus will drop gear all along. So the player who is running corrupted could simply sit this alt for days.

In a sense, this will offer more in protecting the greens over letting the corrupted pick a few flowers and wash the corruption and gank again

@Tyranthraxus you did not advertise your idea in an appealing way, but I fixed your idea for you LOL... your idea would protect the greens way more, it would be more effective
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    To me, Intrepid's view on how to wash corruption away is disturbingly bad... guy ganks a miner, then ganker do some mining and he is in green again. Bwahhaueha!! >:) Also, this is very unapppealing

The OP's idea about washing corruption through time is more effective, the player would have to delete his alt or sit his alt for days, maybe weeks if he ganked a lot. This player will have to spend his extra alt slots just to store corrupted and stay out of the game with them

Not that I think that washing through time i ground breaking good, it's just that Intrepid's proposal is so bad that almost anything will be better and efficient... even time will be
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Even tough, most people here didn't support the op's idea... what if he is the only one who is right?

Let's spin this around and settle his idea in a better way, just for the sake of brain exercise. If corruption only wears off by time, then the alt is burned for that time, the alt will have the corruption penalties plus will drop gear all along. So the player who is running corrupted could simply sit this alt for days.

In a sense, this will offer more in protecting the greens over letting the corrupted pick a few flowers and wash the corruption and gank again

Tyranthraxus you did not advertise your idea in an appealing way, but I fixed your idea for you LOL... your idea would protect the greens way more, it would be more effective
    And it would completely ruin the corruption system. No reasonable person would do it and we'd see no non-event owpvp. That's shit and exactly what I'd want to avoid.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @NiKr oh baby, you couldn't be more wrong about this

There will be plenty of owpvp... you can come as purple and land a couple shots on a green... if he doesn't fight back you can just go away and don't finish your kill... some people will turn purple on you and kill you tough

These 30 days of corruption are too much, but 1 day per kill is fine... maybe it could be hour based ... if a level 50 kills a level 1 then he gets 50 hours, something like this... maybe could be rebalanced or even double the amount of time

Plus, could do other activities to speed this up
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    There will be plenty of owpvp... you can come as purple and land a couple shots on a green... if he doesn't fight back you can just go away and don't finish your kill... some people will turn purple on you and kill you tough
    Why would people ever fight back if they know for sure that not doing so would mean removing that annoying attacker from the game for days?

This is exactly why I want the corruption balancing to be way laxer than what it seems to be. If victims know that not fighting back is endlessly more beneficial - they'll never fight back.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Why would people ever fight back if they know for sure that not doing so would mean removing that annoying attacker from the game for days?

This is exactly why I want the corruption balancing to be way laxer than what it seems to be. If victims know that not fighting back is endlessly more beneficial - they'll never fight back.

Some people will be green baiting
    Some people will fight back and win
    Some people are great pvpers and that's just the work alt chopping trees, he is thirsty for a fight

Anyway, you don't have to fight back, just turn yourself purple and you will lose only half the stuff and xp

Nobody said the pk will be red for days, except for the OP, even tough 30 days is too much

Making the pk run errands is just a form of carebear spite against the pk, it's not even logical... now the corrupted will simpy have their network of friends and safe farm spots... he will wash the corruption off in no time
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The top 3 pk punishments:
    1. slavery
    2. time
    3. Intrepid's proposal

In many cases, pk are heroes tough, but in AoC there will be no rewards for PK... except when it is the bounty hunter pkilling the corrupted... the big guild pkilling the smaller guild in a guild war... the better node pkilling the other node etc. If it's sanctioned and community driven then it's fine? :p
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Anyway, you don't have to fight back, just turn yourself purple and you will lose only half the stuff and xp
    Again, why would he fight back when removing the PKer completely is way more beneficial.
    Nobody said the pk will be red for days, except for the OP, even tough 30 days is too much
    Even if it's just few days of offline time - it's still much better than having an annoying attacker next to you.
    Making the pk run errands is just a form of carebear spite against the pk, it's not even logical... now the corrupted will simpy have their network of friends and safe farm spots... he will wash the corruption off in no time
    And BHs should have enough time to get to the PKer's location and try killing them. That's the fun of the suggested system. "Errands" are just there to keep the PKer playing the game instead of literally not existing in it.
  • Options
    You will never remove the pk, NiKr! People will just wash it and return

Time is not a bad idea if it's well balanced, even if time runs 10x slower than running errands
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    You will never remove the pk, NiKr! People will just wash it and return
    It's as if you're not reading my comments. I literally want more PK in the game. Like, way more than there'll be under the currently planned balancing.