Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

#corruptioninthecloset - Why a bounty hunter? Do Inquisitor instead

Corruption is a spiritual thing, this term "bounty hunter" is in AoC just because it sounds cute, bounty hunter has no place in this game since it is not about crime, mundane justice, imprisonment and assassinations.

A more fitting title would be "Inquisitor", who is guided by the Essence to track down and cleanse the corrupted. Inquisitors should also have quests specifically tailored to cleansing corrupted areas, such as summoning and defeating greater evils or opening/closing portals to other planes of existence from where corrupted armies are sent to attack Verra.

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Corruption is a spiritual thing

I got this far in and you are wrong.

Corruption is a representation of The Ancients magic.

It is a magical thing, not a spiritual thing.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »

akz43j1fbeed.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 2023
    Bounty hunter is fine, straight forward and makes sense. What the devs want to call their stuff is fine.
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »

akz43j1fbeed.png

Dude, you circled the wrong part.

The part you wanted to circle was the start of the next quote from Steven.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

akz43j1fbeed.png

Spiritual essence tarnishes and it inhibits a players ability to use magic.

It's definitely a spiritual issue,

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore

Full explanation of Essence, how it's like Chi and it gets manipulated to create magic. When a players spiritual essence is corrupted, it inhibits their ability to use magic. (which is the stat dampening)

• Options

akz43j1fbeed.png

Full explanation of Essence, how it's like Chi and it gets manipulated to create magic. When a players spiritual essence is corrupted, it inhibits their ability to use magic. (which is the stat dampening)

Right, so, you obviously didn't get it.

In my first post, I specifically said;
    This was a direct quote from Steven - a quote that is on the wiki, and was even in the picture you so helpfully posted.

Now, if you go to the wiki page you suggested I read as "proof" that corruption is a spiritual thing, and you search for the word "spiritual" (or even just "spirit"), you will likely notice very quickly that there are no hits at all - the word isn't mentioned on the page at all.

So, I find it somewhat intriguing both that you fully believe the above, and also that you would suggest a page on the wiki that literally doesn't even mention the word you are talking about.

You are clearly making shit up here.
  • Options

akz43j1fbeed.png

Right, so, you obviously didn't get it.

In my first post, I specifically said;
    This was a direct quote from Steven - a quote that is on the wiki, and was even in the picture you so helpfully posted.

Now, if you go to the wiki page you suggested I read as "proof" that corruption is a spiritual thing, and you search for the word "spiritual" (or even just "spirit"), you will likely notice very quickly that there are no hits at all - the word isn't mentioned on the page at all.

So, I find it somewhat intriguing both that you fully believe the above, and also that you would suggest a page on the wiki that literally doesn't even mention the word you are talking about.

You are clearly making shit up here.

fyxmb59jghvj.png

Highlighted in green, clearly says, spiritual.

Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished.[3] – Steven Sharif

In case you continue have a hard time with reading Stevens own quotes.

The Essence
    The Essence is a metaphysical energy or life-force (Chi) that can be manipulated to create what could be viewed as magic. There are different planes of existence (realms) with varying degrees of strength (of magic), determined by their proximity to the Essence. The planes of existence in Ashes of Creation are connected across bridges created by the Essence, referred to as Rivers of Essence.[10][11][12]

I guess you didn't know the Essence is spiritual, but now you do.

Even implies The Essence is spiritual by calling it a life-force or Chi.

Here's what thesaurus.com says for life force,

c76hkid6pwoc.png

And a quick and lazy bing search,

uh1539mrb9qk.png

You should have done this before, you come at someone thinking you know something, when clearly you dont.
  • Options
    i really dont understand why this thread is a thing, or even worth putting energy into...
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    i really dont understand why this thread is a thing, or even worth putting energy into...

Because maybe it's thematically incoherent enough to annoy Arya?
  • Options

Bounty hunting in AoC is a sham and the whole idea of having a role of antiganker just to go after gankers won't even be thing. Bounty hunting is dead in it's conception, it should be properly addressed into the religious aspect in the game and launch Inquisitors. Rebrand the thing and empower it properly

The whole idea of "bounty hunting" is just spite
  • Options

Yeah, but that quote isnt from the page you linked.

We'll get back to me proving you wrong on your whole point soon, for now I am more focused on how you linked a page as proof that corruption is spiritual, when the page in question didn't even contain the word spiritual.

Do you have an explanation at all as to how that happened? Did you just assume you were correct in your assumption, made a second assumption that the lore page of the wiki would prove you right, and so linked it without even checking?

I mean, at best that is just sloppy and lazy. At worst it is outright dishonest. I'm just trying to work out where on that scale this specific situation is - then we can get back to me pointing out where you are wrong.
  • Options

Bounty hunting in AoC is a sham and the whole idea of having a role of antiganker just to go after gankers won't even be thing. Bounty hunting is dead in it's conception, it should be properly addressed into the religious aspect in the game and launch Inquisitors. Rebrand the thing and empower it properly

The whole idea of "bounty hunting" is just spite

But religion and corruption are not the same thing.

A real brief way of looking at it is that religion is the dedication to one of the gods, where as corruption is a result of actions of a race of beings that were made by the gods.

Thus, assuming you believe in some real world deity of some kind, corruption in Ashes is as spiritual as that wooden spoon you made in 8th grade woodshop.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Reee or something I guess. Idfk. p8ke15dave6k.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited April 2023
    It would also allow for moving bounty hunter system from military nodes (doesnt quite seem right for military nodes imo to a religious node instead.

To me military node should be more lenient on corruption penalty for there bonus making comflict and battle happen more around there area.
    and religionous node can be the counterpart so the more anti PK nodes and send there inquisitors on a crusade to snuff out the non believers :P aka corrupted players :P

i dunno to me military seems more Pvp kinda node with the elections being a arena with champion kinda deal where religion is more PvE with the quests for the churches to get there mayor leadership thing so makes sense to me that military bonus leans more to PvP reducing corruption penalty in some way where the religious to be more PvE friendly+people wanting to protect them kinda deal

like in the past take Aztec, Vikings and mongols for example they did alot of bad thing to places they took over they didnt have an internal group punishing those people generaly who **** or plunders aka warcrimes to enemy faction it was generaly an outside force so doesnt make sense having the bounty hunters aka anti bad guy system in the town that general does the most bad guy things.
  • Options

akz43j1fbeed.png

tbh there seems to be 2 forms of corruption from this picture one is world corruption and other is players corruption which leads to confusing elements between the term corrupted.
    in the form of players corruption it is tarnish/decay of spirital essence which would technically be the opposite of religious so it would make sense with inquisitors, but again your right with the ancient magic corrupting the land so technically both are right from the wiki perspective.

btw yeah as i mention above i do think it be better to have the bounty hunter (anti pk system) moved to religious since thats more the PvE focused town it seems with quests seems to be what leads to mayor system. and have military nodes lead more into PK players where corruption isnt as penalised as much since military states tend to throw there weight around which would lead to more corruption and doesnt make sense to have the anti PK based in an area where PK would be more favored to keep there presence known.

Doesnt matter what they call the bounty hunter system though but i think moving it to another node and having military a little more favored by PKer and relgious favors more PvE player would be a right step i think but not my game so my option means nothing realy but thats my thought
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Yeah, but that quote isnt from the page you linked.

We'll get back to me proving you wrong on your whole point soon, for now I am more focused on how you linked a page as proof that corruption is spiritual, when the page in question didn't even contain the word spiritual.

Do you have an explanation at all as to how that happened? Did you just assume you were correct in your assumption, made a second assumption that the lore page of the wiki would prove you right, and so linked it without even checking?

I mean, at best that is just sloppy and lazy. At worst it is outright dishonest. I'm just trying to work out where on that scale this specific situation is - then we can get back to me pointing out where you are wrong.

I linked you the quote that came from Steven. After you told Arya he's wrong, the very quote that specifically states that player corruption is spiritual.

Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished.[3] – Steven Sharif

Here it is again for you to read bold and outlined, the part where Steven specifically states corruption tarnishes a players spiritual essence. You know, the thing that Arya is clearly referring to in his post. It should have stopped there.

Or maybe I should focus on the part where you need Essence (spirit) in order to have magic to begin with, since you keep insisting Corruption is a magic issue.

Corrupted Essence

Corrupted Essence (commonly referred to simply as Corruption) is a negative aspect of The Essence that was spread by The Ancients during the Apocalypse.[33][35]

There it is again, corruption is the negative aspect of The Essence. Right there in the Steven quote.

The Essence

The Essence is a metaphysical energy or life-force (Chi) that can be manipulated to create what could be viewed as magic. There are different planes of existence (realms) with varying degrees of strength (of magic), determined by their proximity to the Essence. The planes of existence in Ashes of Creation are connected across bridges created by the Essence, referred to as Rivers of Essence.[10][11][12]

Here we are again, directly from Steven quotes exactly what Essence is.

"can be manipulated to create what could be viewed as magic."

I'm not going to bother after this, I've highlighted Steven enough times to realize you have realized that you have this need to validate your intelligence and fail in your attempts to correct others.

Sit down, reflect on that massive L, maybe learn your hubris has you all sorts of fucked up.
  • Options
    I linked you the quote that came from Steven.
    I'm cutting you off here, because as I said, I am not carrying on the larger discussion until this smaller discussion is resolved. I haven't read your post past the quoted portion above, but am happy to continue to read it and reply, but not until the following has been addressed.

You have only provided one link in this thread - the link to the lore page on the wiki. That quote from Steven you want to argue is not on that page.

You have provided cut/paste (or simply retyping) of the quote you want to talk about, and have also provided a screenshot of it, but you have only provided one link. That link is one that you claimed backed up your argument that corruption is spiritual, yet doesn't mention that word at all, including the quote you want to talk about.

Don't take my word for it, look at it again yourself. Tell me which part of that page that you linked has that quote from Steven you are talking about.

The quote from Steven is in other parts of the wiki, but not the one you linked. I am simply trying to work out why you linked that page (the only page you have linked here) in support of your argument when that page doesn't have a single mention of the word "spirit".

Again, the rest of the discussion can continue, but not until I know why you linked that page.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Veeshan wrote: »
    tbh there seems to be 2 forms of corruption from this picture one is world corruption and other is players corruption which leads to confusing elements between the term corrupted.
    in the form of players corruption it is tarnish/decay of spirital essence which would technically be the opposite of religious so it would make sense with inquisitors, but again your right with the ancient magic corrupting the land so technically both are right from the wiki perspective.
    It is true that there are both world aspects and character aspects of corruption, but I don't see them as being confused at all.

While "spirit" can indeed be considered a religious thing, it can also mean things such as morale - as just one of many other correct uses for the word. It would be foolish, imo, to look at one or two uses of the word "spirit" in relation to corruption and come to some grand conclusion that corruption is religion based.

Even more so when we know corruption came from The Ancients, whom are not the object of religion in Ashes.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited April 2023
    Example:
    If an Islamic terrorist bombs a Christian church, they don't send a priest after them. They send the police/army/etc.
    It's the same here. Even if it is a spiritually-inclined crime, the people who chase them down are the secular defence forces, not the religious orders.

Bounty Hunter is fine.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

Reee or something I guess. Idfk. p8ke15dave6k.jpg

I didn't realize we could have a topic worse than changing the name of the tank lmao.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Example:
    If an Islamic terrorist bombs a Christian church, they don't send a priest after them. They send the police/army/etc.
    It's the same here. Even if it is a spiritually-inclined crime, the people who chase them down are the secular defence forces, not the religious orders.

Bounty Hunter is fine.

Your real life example has no place in a high fantasy MMO where there is magical spells and lore about your spiritual essence being corrupted, where people take rebirths and they may have to go through multiple rebirths to cleanse their corruption

A corrupted player needs an exorcist!! Not some nominee of the justice system
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Hear me out:
    • make a special quest chain for getting exalted religious armors and titles
    • if people fail these quests, make them corrupted
    • let the Inquisitors cleanse the corruption from these newbie spiritual seekers

It all fits in, if a newbie player trying to progress in a specific religious quest chain fails these quests, he gets corrupted... but a corruption that leads to no gear drops, since he is not killing any greens. Just turn him red, then other people within the religious branch, who are called inquisitors, will go after him

If the player can progress through all that and get his titles and special religious armors, it is a great accomplishment without being just a chore and a grind

That's something loreful and appealing
  • Options
    Hear me out:
    • let the Inquisitors cleanse the corruption from these newbie spiritual seekers

It all fits in, if a newbie player trying to progress in a specific religious quest chain fails these quests, he gets corrupted... but a corruption that leads to no gear drops, since he is not killing any greens. Just turn him red, then other people within the religious branch, who are called inquisitors, will go after him

If the player can progress through all that and get his titles and special religious armors, it is a great accomplishment without being just a chore and a grind

I want the BH system they are working on. You are effectively talking about making things complicated for no reason....Corruption isn't a quest line, it is not meant to have special gameplay besides just making your life hell and has 0 incentive.

If you watched the list live stream you would have seen this directly mentioned about corruption. Rather than trying to change their system why not have a discussion on their current system on ways you think would be fun, in relation to their core goals...

@MrPockets this is the type of post I'm talking about.

• Options
    Hear me out:

I want the BH system they are working on. You are effectively talking about making things complicated for no reason....Corruption isn't a quest line, it is not meant to have special gameplay besides just making your life hell and has 0 incentive.

If you watched the list live stream you would have seen this directly mentioned about corruption. Rather than trying to change their system why not have a discussion on their current system on ways you think would be fun, in relation to their core goals...

@MrPockets this is the type of post I'm talking about.

Uh? Take a screenshot from whoever proposed a corruption quest line and send us, post here

Take that picture right now and post it
  • Options
    I pretty much stated that a certain spiritual persue could have downfalls as punishment for failure

If the spiritual seeker fails to kill a boss or die to a boss, punish him
    At least a quest chain line will be interesting and have some adrenalin instead of just being a chore
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Mag7spy no no no

Be honest, this is not questing through corruption!
    That is suffering a penalty when you fail a certain religious quest chain when you are trying to achieve something greater. If the player take such quest and don't kill a boss or die to a boss within a day, then he suffers this penalty

Corruption is still a bad thing and people will work to stay out of it, but this will intensify the experience

Mag7spy, just block me, please???
  • Options
    @Mag7spy no no no

Be honest, this is not questing through corruption!
    That is suffering a penalty when you fail a certain religious quest chain when you are trying to achieve something greater. If the player take such quest and don't kill a boss or die to a boss within a day, then he suffers this penalty

Corruption is still a bad thing and people will work to stay out of it, but this will intensify the experience

Mag7spy, just block me, please???

You aren't comprehending what I'm saying nor the design pillars they are working with. which makes me question why are you posting so much without doing enough research on the project if you are trying to suggest changes to the design.

They are not supporting anything quest wise in relation to corruption being a positive. IE that includes you doing a quest and failing, which means a positive if you do it correctly and incentive. That means you are adding in corruption to questing in the game when that is not the purpose of it.

This adds nothing to the experience this is not well thought out even int he slightest. And i don't' want to put effort into writing a page why it shouldn't because you are the only one that is going to believe this. Either bosses are easy and you are over leveled or the boss is strong and kills you because bosses are meant to be difficult. And then as you are corrupted you are locked out of doing the boss since others will just pk you on sight.

This idea is bad. People say plenty of ideas good or bad, but you need to be able to take criticism and understand design intentions and other peoples feedback. And then comes back with a strong idea that can fit the design goals, first piece of advice will be do not include corruption in this quest in any form or relation to the quest.

• Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Mag7spy are you trying to prove something to me? Why do you care so much about @Arya_Yeshe 's ideas? (since you seem to not like them). All publicity is good publicity...so if you don't want the ideas gaining traction, just ignore them and move on.

If you are trying to turn me against Arya, it will take a lot more than this. Both this post and the other one you called me out in....seem to be coming from a different point of view (in this case, a focus on lore) and that's OK, keeping an open mind to new ideas is generally something people think is good.

Personally, I do not have strong opinions on this topic, but I can see where they are coming from. We all know corruption's main purpose is to be a PK/PvP mechanic...but there has already been minor lore established around this. To me these ideas are mostly targeted as an expansion of that lore.

Are there rules to what type of ideas can be made on this forum? This is the general section, right? and EVEN IF these ideas are not in line with the current design, why does it matter? Are you afraid that the devs will just randomly put in an idea from a random forum post?

• Options
    MrPockets wrote: »
    @Mag7spy are you trying to prove something to me? Why do you care so much about @Arya_Yeshe 's ideas? (since you seem to not like them). All publicity is good publicity...so if you don't want the ideas gaining traction, just ignore them and move on.

If you are trying to turn me against Arya, it will take a lot more than this. Both this post and the other one you called me out in....seem to be coming from a different point of view (in this case, a focus on lore) and that's OK, keeping an open mind to new ideas is generally something people think is good.

Personally, I do not have strong opinions on this topic, but I can see where they are coming from. We all know corruption's main purpose is to be a PK/PvP mechanic...but there has already been minor lore established around this. To me these ideas are mostly targeted as an expansion of that lore.

Are there rules to what type of ideas can be made on this forum? This is the general section, right? and EVEN IF these ideas are not in line with the current design, why does it matter? Are you afraid that the devs will just randomly put in an idea from a random forum post?

Just giving perspective on some of these post you might not have known how they react. Anyone can say ideas good one and bad ones.

And no I don't expect devs to just take random things and throw them in pretty much no chance of that happening.