Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gliding Mounts

In the last development update we saw a mount that was able to glide a certain distance.

I think skills and mounts that give additional mobility options are very cool, really. But unfortunately I also think that the damage they do to a game world is not worth it.
I struggle a bit with my limited english here, but I try to make my point:
Flying in World of Warcraft and (to a smaller but still significant degree) Gliding and Jumping Mounts in Guild Wars 2 both seem to have the effect, that they kind of "remove" the character from the game world while moving. You no longer run around the zones and get to know the terrain, the mobs and the dangers and instead 'fast forward' to your destination.
When these additional mobilities make you immun or nearly immun to mob-aggro because you are flying/jumping over them or you are too fast to be caught this takes away aspects of the world, I think are important.
In a game where OpenPvP is a thing this may also be affected.

I dont want to argue against mobility skills (wether from a mount, character skill or item) but I think they should be limited or have their downsides.
If a gliding mount for example would be significantly slower or more vulnerable (or whatever disadvantage you can think of) this may solve the problem, because then it becomes the usual risk vs reward formula.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I agree with you. I didnt like how ez it was to traverse the cliffs with the mount.
    Without the mount, the environment we saw on the latest update would have been so good for adventuring.

I can see all the players/characters switching from speed modifier land mounts to bypass mobs, to glide mounts to bypass terrain, to aqua mounts to bypass ships, with each one having a more crazy mount than the previous.

• Options
    I can see all the players/characters switching from speed modifier land mounts to bypass mobs, to glide mounts to bypass terrain, to aqua mounts to bypass ships, with each one having a more crazy mount than the previous.

and what if they do? Their loss. Nobody is forcing you to play a certain way, why force others to play "your way"? I want to explore, so that's what I'll do. How others choose to play is entirely up to them. It's a sandbox.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »

and what if they do? Their loss. Nobody is forcing you to play a certain way, why force others to play "your way"? I want to explore, so that's what I'll do. How others choose to play is entirely up to them. It's a sandbox.

Please...... dont give me the "what's forcing you" argument in a competitive mmo.
    If you wanna stay ahead you will skip the terrain, whether you like the damage done to the game or not.

It's a design flaw, not optional way to pass the time ingame.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Please...... dont give me the "what's forcing you" argument in a competitive mmo.
    If you wanna stay ahead you will skip the terrain, whether you like the damage done to the game or not.

I mean, it isn't a design flaw.

If you are in the game for competition, you want more things that other people can do to hold them back. If you run past all these environments in the race for competition and I stop and look around, then you have beaten me in regards to competition. Grats to you.

You can't play a game in a competitive manner and then complain about the things you do in that game to be competitive.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I mean, it isn't a design flaw.

If you are in the game for competition, you want more things that other people can do to hold them back. If you run past all these environments in the race for competition and I stop and look around, then you have beaten me in regards to competition. Grats to you.

You can't play a game in a competitive manner and then complain about the things you do in that game to be competitive.

There is a reason why flying mounts wont be accessible.
    The glide mounts remove the dangers of all downhill content.
    Any time your character faces downhill, on the whole map, you skip all the terrain and go straight to the POI.

You are confused as to what the issue is, just because it's appealing to you to place me at fault (somehow).
    The glide distance, and ease of landing from A to B shown in last months update was extreme.
    If glide mounts are ez to acquire all downhil content of the game will be skippable. Forget about the need to survive against mobs and forget about PvP encounters. Just jump to the desired location.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited May 2023
    what if the desired location is downhill? :D

also, how did he get to the hill in the first place? maybe he had to go up the hill to begin with and fight mobs
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    what if the desired location is downhill? :D

also, how did he get to the hill in the first place? maybe he had to go up the hill to begin with and fight mobs

The mountain wont always be on the far end.
  • Options
    yeah maybe you can skip some stuff, but not everything. also, sometimes you just wanna get to where you are going asap instead of spending an hour fighting trash mobs to get there so that then you can start doing the activity you want to do.

didny ou run past mobs in l2? didn't you run past mobs in catas since they would reset? why didn't you fight every mob in every room until you got to your desired room?
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    yeah maybe you can skip some stuff, but not everything. also, sometimes you just wanna get to where you are going asap instead of spending an hour fighting trash mobs to get there so that then you can start doing the activity you want to do.

didny ou run past mobs in l2? didn't you run past mobs in catas since they would reset? why didn't you fight every mob in every room until you got to your desired room?

I did skip mobs, but never without the many risks.
  • Options
    well, maybe ranged mobs can still hit you if you're gliding above them =x

you'd also take paths where there aren't any mobs (even if there are mobs nearby) to avoid pulling or fighting. that's also a skip =x. we should remove all those paths and roads then, or add mobs on them
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2023
    If glide mounts are ez to acquire all downhil content of the game will be skippable.
    I fail to see the issue with this.

If the content is designed to not be necessary, then we should be able to skip it.

If it is designed to be necessary, we wouldn't want to skip it.

There is no point at which you can blame the fact that players are skipping content on the method they are using to skip it - you can only ever blame the fact that players are skipping content on the fact that the content they are skipping isn't necessary.
    I did skip mobs, but never without the many risks.

See, the thing with you is that you like to jump up and down about everything in Ashes that isn't ripped straight from L2.

Gliding mounts - and Intrepids implementation of them - are pulled directly out of Archeage.

It works just fine, your concerns are completely invalid. There is still risk in flying over content - arguably more as falling damage doesn't give you a chance to fight back.

And let's not get in to the actual literal glider dogfights from Archeage. Swooping down on an unsuspecting guild of 20 people and managing to send half of them falling to their demise is a special kind of fun.
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited May 2023
    I also didnt like what I saw. I knew aoc will have gliding, but I thought just off cliffs and not jumping 20 meters high and then gliding. Especially what is the purpose of the bridge of the tower of carving then? Then everyone can just glide on the other side without waiting for node progression.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    that glider mount didn't bother me in the least, in fact, I thought it should of had a greater reach... just me though
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For me gliding mounts are fine. They are fun and add efficiency to travelling. Those who use them all the time will, to their own detriment, miss content that exists in the areas they glide over. There may be hidden cavern doors, special plants and rocks, and fascinating little byways all of which the quick traveler will miss.

Those who love exploration will probably not use the gliding mounts very much and will add to their enjoyment of the game by poking their noses everywhere. Those who glide a lot will not enjoy the game as much as will end up complaining about lack of content...because they glide over the content!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steven said you can develop the flight potential of gliding. Not sure if we saw the maximum potential though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I think we’re blowing the whistle too early. Level design can have a huge impact on whether terrain traversal negatively impacts the gameplay experience. When WoW introduced dragon riding (basically gliding on steroids) to Dragonflight in the first zone of the expansion, breaking from recent tradition of no flying for months into each expansion, it worked rather well, because they designed the zones differently than usual to work well with the gliding system. More verticality to the landmasses and content availability, more “empty” land between POIs, etc. If intrepid can design their zones to function harmoniously with this method of terrain traversal, there may be little to actually worry about. We won’t know for sure until we get to try it for ourselves, however much we like to theorize.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was a little caught off guard by how easy it seemed to skip terrain with a gliding mount, but no opinion really, need to see more examples.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I think we’re blowing the whistle too early. Level design can have a huge impact on whether terrain traversal negatively impacts the gameplay experience. When WoW introduced dragon riding (basically gliding on steroids) to Dragonflight in the first zone of the expansion, breaking from recent tradition of no flying for months into each expansion, it worked rather well, because they designed the zones differently than usual to work well with the gliding system. More verticality to the landmasses and content availability, more “empty” land between POIs, etc. If intrepid can design their zones to function harmoniously with this method of terrain traversal, there may be little to actually worry about. We won’t know for sure until we get to try it for ourselves, however much we like to theorize.

Pattern I've noticed is people complain about every feature to the T.