Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why some spell effects in ashes does not fit the enviroment?

SnekkersSnekkers Member
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
What is this post about?
It's been noticeable for a few shows now that the spell effects don't match the environment. At first I thought it was a question of how high the quality of the environment is, but in retrospect I see that it has many shortcomings, such as foliage. So why do some effects seem not to match? I found the answer to this in Narc's recently released video on mage skills.
So I would like to expand and describe this problem here based on this video for people who don't want to watch it for various reasons.

What seems to be the problem?
On the stream of the Ashes of Creation move to Unreal 5, Steven was moving around the winter biome, and even though the texture of the snow was of dubious quality, when he entered the cave, the game looked really good. Realistic lighting did a lot of work there. So it's safe to assume that Ashes uses the latest technology to bring real light to the world.

r8i8vkku77zt.png

However, when we look at the effects of some skills, they seem very cartoony, and their lighting creates a strange unnatural contrast with the environment. Light doesn't actually disappear completely in an instant, which is why all hard transitions between light and shadow just look bad.

y9jfezj1tgb5.png
83j7kqs43s1w.png

How to fix it?
Based on good quality sketches, Narc in the video showed a good visual rework of Ball Lightning's ability. In this example, we can see that there is no hard contrast between the effect and the world around. More pronounced interactions with the environment make the ability feel more in tune with the environment. The light emitted by the ability behaves naturally, which makes the difference between the darkest and brightest point smaller, which in turn makes the ability appear less shiny. In general, it seems to me that this example is the perfect scheme of what skills in Ashes of Creation should look like.

djtf8h2cd9ja.png

Video Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVb1FagPxQI

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I do agree with the last screen shot art direction wise. I feel people would gravitate towards it because it is more realistic with a bit more of a mature edge kind of thing. Like in my mind if magic were real i could see it more looking like that.
  • Options
    SnekkersSnekkers Member
    edited May 2023
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I do agree with the last screen shot art direction wise. I feel people would gravitate towards it because it is more realistic with a bit more of a mature edge kind of thing. Like in my mind if magic were real i could see it more looking like that.

you see, it's really indeterminate because there's no such thing as magic. In your video, that magical style fits the world, so it's fine there, but it wouldn't fit the style of the Ashes world. Keep in mind that magic is a loose term, because in real life bending the laws of physics would already be considered magic. No need for flashy effects. Ashes would be mature, so mature spell effects will look best in it.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The reason the ball exists is to contain the lightning. Its like a tesla ball in reality. The effect without the ball looks weird because light doesn't act like a limb.

I don't see what the issue is here.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Magic itself is somewhat unnatural. Trying to make magic natural seems a little odd.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Magic itself is somewhat unnatural. Trying to make magic natural seems a little odd.

that is true, i should have used the word authentic, effects should look like they fit the world, and that is the point of this post.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    The reason the ball exists is to contain the lightning. Its like a tesla ball in reality. The effect without the ball looks weird because light doesn't act like a limb.

I don't see what the issue is here.

if we wanna go to how it would work in real life then every mage lightning spell would bounce instantly to him and shock him or would bounce to the ground cuz electric charge looks for the way with least resistance to the ground.
  • Options
    The spell effects turn corners, weave across the floor and emanate from the characters. I fail to see how that doesn't equate to authentic spells...the spells are more authentic to the game world in ashes than any other game lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The spell effects turn corners, weave across the floor and emanate from the characters. I fail to see how that doesn't equate to authentic spells...the spells are more authentic to the game world in ashes than any other game lol.

thats why i said some spells, cuz yea, i think chain lightning looks very good. But the example of spell that does not fit is ball lightning.
  • Options
    SnekkersSnekkers Member
    edited May 2023
    Also i would like to know your opinion guys about light emitted by the spell, not just spell effect itself :)
  • Options
    Lasers can hit a point but be invisible on route - I don't think it makes a good spell effect.

Spheres of light must be contained or the light would bleed out and be ineffective.

I think the lighting effects look bad on a 2k resolution monitor. I haven't tested a 1080p monitor. The game looks lush on my 4k Oled though. Its clear the renditions are done in 4k and downscaled. Not sure if I prefer this method or the other method of upscaling.

Light has no molecules and can be absorbed by mata. The ball in ball of lightning is the mata i presume. This is why it cannot walk like a limb and does require the ball.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Lasers can hit a point but be invisible on route - I don't think it makes a good spell effect.

Spheres of light must be contained or the light would bleed out and be ineffective.

I think the lighting effects look bad on a 2k resolution monitor. I haven't tested a 1080p monitor. The game looks lush on my 4k Oled though. Its clear the renditions are done in 4k and downscaled. Not sure if I prefer this method or the other method of upscaling.

Light has no molecules and can be absorbed by mata. The ball in ball of lightning is the mata i presume. This is why it cannot walk like a limb and does require the ball.

1. thats why we have to keep the healthy balance of authentic and good in games. Its same with realistic games, they cant be too realistic cuz they will become annoying.
    2. im not sure what you refer to with that one
    3. both approaches to ball lighting effect are on the similar level of realism, they both require infinite charge point in the middle, but thats not the point, this ball creates cartoony border between spell and enviroment that looks odd in semi-realistic world.
  • Options
    It doesn't create a cartoony effect though. The ball Absorbs into the ground. If the ball was floating in mid air I would agree. I don't even think the ball should travel along the ground like an actual ball because more light should just absorb as it travels across the environment.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It doesn't create a cartoony effect though. The ball Absorbs into the ground. If the ball was floating in mid air I would agree. I don't even think the ball should travel along the ground like an actual ball because more light should just absorb as it travels across the environment.

if this ball wouldnt follow the ground it would be very annoying to use
  • Options
    Yes, it would still follow the floor but more would be absorbed. I'm looking at the footage right now at 1080p. There are spikes of lightning which protrude from the ball but it still mimics a tesla ball.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yes, it would still follow the floor but more would be absorbed. I'm looking at the footage right now at 1080p. There are spikes of lightning which protrude from the ball but it still mimics a tesla ball.

It almost doesnt behave like tesla ball at all, and also ball still looks cartoony, tesla ball does not, he have tesla ball in real life and nobody questions it, but ball lighting does not look like it fits the world of ashes, and you might think that it does not matter, but for a lot of ppl it does
  • Options
    I'm talking about the tesla ball which tesla blew the engineering building to pieces with, not a plasma ball.

What are you basing your assessment on? We have giant yellow hammers, a golden whip and lava from a tank.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ZettrexZettrex Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yep pritty much what this boi said
  • Options
    I'm talking about the tesla ball which tesla blew the engineering building to pieces with, not a plasma ball.

What are you basing your assessment on? We have giant yellow hammers, a golden whip and lava from a tank.

See, that is the point, not only ball lighting is a problem, fighter's hammer has similar problem
    But like i said, in this post i would like to focus more on how light spreads cuz that's the problem in every spell that emits light in ashes.

And sorry but i have no clue how this thing "tesla ball" looks like, and when im trying to google it i get tesla cars kekw
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    So, I ran it at 1080p, 1440p and 4k. The issue I have with the lightning is the block effects on clothes to be precise. Either too luminous, too blocky with limited transitions dependant on angle, and no deepening or lightening of shadow to match.

Can't wait for the polish.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ngfsfo1l86oo.png

This looks complete and a physical reality for the game world. The lightning - not light, is contained because lightning flashes and does not linger.

1c26wagf4cs2.png

This looks unfinished and unrealistic. The lightning would just flash and dissipate without a connection. Lightning has to connect to something to act certain ways. It would have the laser effect of being invisible 90% of the time and only active at a target which would equate to a smaller white ball of lightning.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    ngfsfo1l86oo.png

This looks complete and a physical reality for the game world. The lightning - not light, is contained because lightning flashes and does not linger.

1c26wagf4cs2.png

This looks unfinished and unrealistic. The lightning would just flash and dissipate without a connection. Lightning has to connect to something to act certain ways. It would have the laser effect of being invisible 90% of the time and only active at a target which would equate to a smaller white ball of lightning.

Have to say i don't agree with you on this point. Bottom one looks better imo. Also bottom one looks more realistic in terms of magic.
  • Options
    ngfsfo1l86oo.png

1c26wagf4cs2.png

i mean sure, but that lightning going to nowhere is just a visual juice, pretty sure you can just make sure every limb has its end point, what do you think about light (not lightning) on the second one? Remember that its made by editing the first one so its not perfect.
  • Options
    What is making the perfect circle at the bottom of the second picture? Why can a circle look like magic but a ball does not?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    What is making the perfect circle at the bottom of the second picture? Why can a circle look like magic but a ball does not?

Being a full perfect sphere make things look more cartoonish. Things are never perfect and that is why it can be a bit overly distracting cause your eyes are very much drawn to it.
  • Options
    but the ball is imperfect...the lightning bursts out of it. its all well and good to use still images but steven cast enough to show the rendition was not totally contained which added to the feeling of power.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    ??? It is very much perfect, you only have very tiny amounts that poke out of it. But the sphere part being so perfect with a strong contrast it draws your eyes to it more so than anything. Like art direction wise this is picky but it makes it less realistic. If you were thinking like a movie or such if that kind of effect was in it, it would feel a bit cheesy.
    mimjxqldrcqh.png

When i think ball of lightning it should be that, it is like a ball trapped in a sphere, art direction wise makes it feel more soft and not as intimating as lightning should be. Like when you are outside and you hear it, you see it moving in a unpredictable way. There can be a sense of fear. But feeling is dulled with a sphere around it, which to the human mind we associate those shapes as less dangerous.
  • Options
    The sphere is symbolic of the Divine Feminine, Unity, Wholeness and completion which is ironic. Spheres are also indicative of circles and the circles of magic are well documented. Lightning by the very nature is a hazard and the hazard is clear by the ball of lightning. The sphere is a universal concept and many planets are represented by spheres.

I do not see how a Mage - who uses the highest forms of magic, can't conjure a ball of lightning in a ball. In my opinion the ball travels too slow but we're not debating the speed just the form.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    The sphere is symbolic of the Divine Feminine, Unity, Wholeness and completion which is ironic. Spheres are also indicative of circles and the circles of magic are well documented. Lightning by the very nature is a hazard and the hazard is clear by the ball of lightning. The sphere is a universal concept and many planets are represented by spheres.

I do not see how a Mage - who uses the highest forms of magic, can't conjure a ball of lightning in a ball. In my opinion the ball travels too slow but we're not debating the speed just the form.

When i am talking about shapes this is how it works for films, games, etc. You can't twist it into something else. It is the same way vader in star wars is very triangle-ish. I work in the industry, though this is just basic knowledge.
  • Options
    The death star was a sphere...I'm pretty sure everyone was fearful of the death star.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif