Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Feedback Request] Alpha Two Freehold Preview Shown in June Livestream

Comments

• Options
    lokielokie Member, Founder
    -[How do you feel about the size-and-shape inventory management system?]

I like the size/shape Inventory Management system, it feels more realistic, and will greatly benefit your Caravan looting system - just please don't add weight limits which affect your travel speed, that was highly annoying in games like Skyrim.

-[How do you feel about the systems shown thus far for planting crops on your Freehold? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?]

We weren't shown any crop planting in the video, but it would be nice to know if Tills, Hoes, or Rakes are needed to prepare the soil before seeding/planting. Also, I would like to see a "Picking Action" and rustling leaves sounds used when harvesting certain things like Tomatoes, Corn, Berries, etc. Just waving the little sickle around for each food resource got boring real fast. Especially for Apples, nobody is going to use a sickle on an Apple Tree or an Ashes Apple Bush either.

-[How do you feel about raising livestock and collecting resources from them? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?]

I really liked the "good boi" harvesting wool from the sheep using a Pet emote, that was really unique and I enjoyed it very much!
    For the gathering of Meat, I think it would be more entertaining if you could only harvest meat from a fully grown Fat Pig or a Fat Cow, and when you do collect Meat the animal reverts back to it's baby Piglet size or Calf size instead of dying.
    If you do move forward with the killing for meat gameplay, it might be nice to have a friendly setting on your Freehold for "Good Boi Mode" where instead of Killing the animals, you give them good boi pets instead.
    The Cow Milking was really really entertaining, don't change a thing there!

-[What kind of customization do you want with your Freehold, or buildings on your Freehold?]

Themed Outdoor Seasonal/Holiday decorations are a must have. Including but not limited to indoor/outdoor strings of christmas lights/lanterns/lighted flowers that we can run across the roof, fencing, etc.
    The amount of outdoor decoration slots has always been dismal in other games, please just give us a LOT and I mean a LOT of furniture/decor slots inside and out! I'm talking at least 50 outdoor and 250 indoor decor for a Small Freehold house!

-[Is there anything in particular you’re excited about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?]

I'm excited about the 1.5 Acre size and being able to harvest my own Vineyard and Beehives to make Mead, Mulsum and Wine in my Freehold/Node Store, I'd also like to be able to sell some items from my Bazaar bag on my back while traveling, dungeons, etc!

-[Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?]

In addition to in-node housing, you MUST add in-Node instanced Housing which is available to every Citizen at Node rank 4 or higher. No bidding none of that, leave that up to the In-Node Housing and Freehold Processing folks.
    If People want to pursue Processing beyond Journeyman, then you have to Bid on a Freehold plot somewhere outside the city, risk/reward and all that. But instanced-basic (up to Journeyman) housing must be available to everyone in every city beyond rank 4 or higher.
    In-Node Apartments are an absolutely unacceptable solution, it's a fantasy game and you must give people the ability to attain home ownership in a world they'd otherwise be unable to. I think an instanced in-Node Small House should be absolutely free with Citizenship, with medium and large in-Node instanced housing costing X-Luxury gold taxes every month. Players who do not want home ownership/processing/etc can use your INN/Tavern system throughout the world.

Lastly, I don't think it's a good idea to have players able to be attacked while on their Freehold. Especially if you're going to have a crafting mini-game. I don't think you should be able to be murdered while collecting your chicken eggs either, that's just not fun.
    Sure, if you're out in Timbuktoo Mining gold ore that should be risk that's taken into consideration.
    But leaving your house, picking Tomatoes, then getting murdered and someone steals them from you just isn't fun.
    If you are going to go this "killed on Freehold" route, the Freehold must come standard with 5 NPC Guards that patrol your Freehold. None of this get sniped from the treeline bullshit either, they gotta come ONTO the Freehold footprint to attack you, Guards immediately sound the alarm, and you can either help them fight, or run into your house and call for help. That persons name should be automatically logged into your Freehold guestbook for reference as a hostile individual.

Thanks for your time!

Ditto.
  • Options
    Another separate note, which doesn't really relate to any other feedback. Having parcels/frehoolds tighter and closer together the closer you get to the actual node-center would probably make for another aspect of immersion. As in, you would feel yourself getting closer to civilisation that way.
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Thank you all who have given feedback!

Please, let's keep conversations polite and constructive. Let's also remember to be well unto one another, and follow forums rules. If you're new here, the rules can be found here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/41679/forum-rules-code-of-conduct#latest <3

This has been a very interesting thread to go through, and we appreciate all of your feedback! ^_^

It would be awesome to get some feedback on the feedback. This is clearly a topic that invokes a lot of emotions and opinions, given so many hopes and dreams are directly tied into the ownership of Freeholds.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Not a fan of the inventory system. Its cumbersome and MMOs inventory itself always turns into too much work/time to manage. Having each bag be its own space to put things, over all bags just making one big bag, is a huge fail. You need sort options to play this silly Tetris game for you. Options to sort the bags by types, crafting, consumables, etc. I hate item management and this just look inconvenient to use. Just no!!!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be good if multiple people can use a processing unit at the same time.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    fogovivofogovivo Member
    edited July 2023
    -[Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?]

I only say one thing. Freehold cannot be an exclusive privilege as it is against the MMO concept. The only way it works is to be instantiated so that it is accessible to all players as "end game", with or without family, with or without guild. And it cannot be instantiated with a look or design that cannot be changed at will. The ArcheAge model of limiting player space and asset accessibility has already proven to be a failure. It makes no sense to make the same mistake. 29jl6g412bil.png
  • Options
    NerdalertNerdalert Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    How do you feel about the size-and-shape inventory management system?

- I like how the current inventory looks, the ability to add bag space and the interface. I'm not a fan of having to Tetris in different items to fit a certain space in one of my bags. It just seems like a unnecessary complication. A positive is maybe adds to the "realism" because you have to organize your bags for things to fit IRL. That just isn't fun to me personally.

How do you feel about the systems shown thus far for planting crops on your Freehold? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?

- Looks great. Keep cooking. It looks sort of Archeage-ish and that is one of the few things that game did really well. Maybe even revolutionary? Man the wasted potential on that game...don't get me started.

How do you feel about raising livestock and collecting resources from them? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?

-Same as above. AA-ish, good. Go to sleep pig.

What kind of customization do you want with your Freehold, or buildings on your Freehold?

- This is where I start to have some questions/concerns with the current iteration of the Freehold system. I think that you could make the overall size of the Freehold smaller like 1 acre instead of 1.5 (I believe you were measuring in acres?). But yea they were too small before but too big now. Go for a Goldilocks situation and more can participate in the system while still keeping it meaningfully challenging to obtain. I liked the way you can SimCity the plot of land when you are doing your initial layout.

Is there anything in particular you’re excited about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?

- What was shown outside of how housing in general is going to work looks great. Art team is killin it.

Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?

- I believe that housing should be available to more people than what is currently planned. I think you can reduce the size of Freeholds (see above) and/or as a node levels up have dedicated housing zones (Like AA) open up for houses and maybe room for one station only. Suburbs style with property lines, Community Associations etc. Every city has suburbs, right? That way now you have apartments, housing (but on a greater scale) as a mid situation and then finally the coveted Freehold that will be the hardest to get. You need the semi-casuals to stick around for the ecosystem to work. If you put in the work and play a lot only to be left out of *non-instanced* housing then the drive to stick with the game long term goes down quickly. Everyone wants to see their house.
  • Options
    Is there anything in particular you’re excited about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?

The farming aspects and how the farming ties into cooking and alchemy. I feel you should be able to farm and perform cooking or alchemy on the sane freehold because you can master two skills within processing. I feel cooking and alchemy processing units shouldn't take up more than one slot on a freehold or even better should be done on apparatus which can go inside houses either node based or freehold based.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    fogovivo wrote: »

I only say one thing. Freehold cannot be an exclusive privilege as it is against the MMO concept. The only way it works is to be instantiated so that it is accessible to all players as "end game", with or without family, with or without guild. And it cannot be instantiated with a look or design that cannot be changed at will. The ArcheAge model of limiting player space and asset accessibility has already proven to be a failure. It makes no sense to make the same mistake. 29jl6g412bil.png

I agree that that will be a offputting for lots of players (not being able to get your own place) but they supposedly want to offset it by rental space, so you can get a "habitat" freehold as a guild and use one of the parcels for rooms that individuals members can decorate.
  • Options
    Thank you for allowing me to give my feedback.

I know it was only a preview, but the inventory management system was very lack-luster. I like the idea of a tetris style inventory system for gatherables, but I think you need to think outside the bag, heh heh heh.

What we were shown
    dyif22fvuzqy.png

Different sized rectangled items are cool, it reminds me a lot of Diablo 2 inventory management, but I think gamers can play with something a little more complicated. A tetris style system would be a lot more fun to play around with. Tetris shapes:
    irejq38v9e6a.png

These shaped items would be pretty unique and fun to play around with in the inventory. OR... OR... when I was younger we use to have to do tangram puzzles:
    3zvnn9dr7nd2.png

Or even things like this:
    qqhpg4mvjf33.png

Bag shapes dont have to be rectangles either, they can be triangular, octagonal, rhombus, or other shapes. But when yall said tetris style inventory management, this is immediately where my mind went. And I know that this is very different from what people are use to seeing, but it could provide a fun shakeup to the current inventory management meta in games. It would fall inline with the immersion of the game that items arent always rectangles. Different mineral ores will form or break-off differently then other minerals ores. Some might be long and skinny, some triangular, "L" shaped minerals or those perfect squared gems.

The Steven giveth and the Steven taketh away
  • Options
    DaddySteveDaddySteve Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    • How do you feel about the size-and-shape inventory management system?
      It feels like it will be more limiting than the weight system but easier to understand. If size and shape are used then there should be item specific tabs for items that take up a lot of space over time (i.e. the issue with gems in Diablo 4).
    • How do you feel about the systems shown thus far for planting crops on your Freehold? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?
      The system looked pretty standard for planting crops which is acceptable especially for A2 gameplay. I would like to see how the seasons impact the type of plants that can be planted and the yield.
    • How do you feel about raising livestock and collecting resources from them? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?
      Raising livestock is great and I would also like to see environmental impacts on this process.
    • What kind of customization do you want with your Freehold, or buildings on your Freehold?
      I would like the ability to create custom signs (TOS filtered) for buildings and plots, add lighting like lamps and outdoor lighting and the ability to paint buildings.
    • Is there anything in particular you’re excited about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?
      I'm excited to learn more about how crafting/processing is impacted by progression of the freehold/node system. I like the freehold system being limited to an extent because it makes them more meaningful and prestigious to own.
    • Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?
      Limiting freeholds to max lvl characters makes it feel like there will be a rat race to get to max lvl as soon as possible to get the limited slots. I am curious to see how the Tetris inventory management will work out during testing.

Lastly, I loved the slideshow format for announcing and going over this system. It was extremely informative and made even better with a video walk-through. My hope is there will be at least 50% of the max concurrent players allowed to have a freehold. If the number is less then it will feel a bit too exclusive and a turnoff for folks that wanted to get into processing and maybe don't want to join a family.
  • Options
    Suggestion for appartment in regards to feeholds

Have an item drop or crafted that is a dimension door or something like that, that can be placed/equiped to an appartment, What this does is allows you to convert appartments into freehold type dimensions however you cant do any of the freehold activity on it aka farming/processing this would diminish the value of open world freeholds however these will just act as a alternative to appartments encase somone want to build up a freehold as a home instead of an appartment room, itsd like a cosmetic change to appartment for a more outside landscape. Might help with some of the tears of players hoping to have a freehold to decorate if they wanna play the housing game without affecting value of freeholds.
    This is also a low risk venture since appartments just get blueprinted and items returned to you if node is destroyed so people can safely have there instanced freehold without destroying the freehold economy/value
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I think the upgrade tiers need to be cheaper on a freehold if you lose everything after a successful siege. Furthermore, the benefits of the upgrades need to be better to make them worthwhile. Right now, freeholds are a privilege but a not so worth while privilege.

Much love.

as they stand right now there perfect imo they are the key to high end resource and require high investment to get that return. they are literaly the high risk, high reward housing options. if you want low risk housing then thats the appartments for you since there basicly no risk with them.
    Freeholds are a cornerstone for a healthy node economy and missuse of them will be determental to the defence of the node if there miss used. you have no idea how important these are.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I think the upgrade tiers need to be cheaper on a freehold if you lose everything after a successful siege. Furthermore, the benefits of the upgrades need to be better to make them worthwhile. Right now, freeholds are a privilege but a not so worth while privilege.

Much love.

as they stand right now there perfect imo they are the key to high end resource and require high investment to get that return. they are literaly the high risk, high reward housing options. if you want low risk housing then thats the appartments for you since there basicly no risk with them.
    Freeholds are a cornerstone for a healthy node economy and missuse of them will be determental to the defence of the node if there miss used. you have no idea how important these are.

If you make them too resource intensive no one will be able to upgrade them enough between sieges. I realise how important they are and they are so important they shouldn't be made redundant.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KrystalKittenKrystalKitten Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh, I just thought of this, housing, furniture needs to be functional. like chests, dressers, things like that to add storage space, maybe even able to place piles of logs/stones for future processing. we should be able to place food items on the table for eating/sharing with family and the more customizable the better
  • Options
    How do you feel about raising livestock and collecting resources from them? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?

The resource collection from livestock was interesting. Slaughtering the pig was funny and all, mostly because of the shock value, but I don’t know if I can take hearing that pig squeal like that 1000 times. Milking the cow was really cool, it looked nice and seemed pleasant. I feel like I could milk cows for hours with the current animation. The chickens were fine, nothing special, but cool dance! Harvesting the wheat was nothing special either but it worked. Harvesting the tomatoes seemed a little off. Why did that 1 tomato splatter on the ground? Was that a failed attempt because your gathering skill was too low? If that’s the case, then I have no problem with that. Maybe there could be items that add +vegetable gather skills. We didn’t get to see you feed any of the animals. There was a big pile of hay laying around the chickens, it would be more immersive if I had to go to the pile of hay, gather some of it, and then place it by the cow pen so they can eat it. Same thing with crops, it would be neat to have to water and fertilize each individual crop and then down the line with more upgrades eventually get an irrigation system that feeds and waters for you.
  • Options
    Concerns:
    I think gatekeeping professions behind the freehold system is an issue. You have a really fantastic idea in animal husbandry, one that no other game has done/are doing, like you're doing it and a profession many players are keen to do. Making it so you can't max this profession unless you get a freehold seems off. Very few people will get a freehold and therefore very very few people will be able to max that profession, a profession which is a great addition for your game, so don't lock it away, open it back up to nodes as well.

Bidding for freeholds may cause issues that others have already discussed in more detail than I am able to. However, If you're intent on a bidding process, maybe allow people to see what the top 3 bids were or at the very least the winning bid so people can see what it might take to actually win. It might also create some interesting decisions during the next bidding process on the freehold.
    You could also put a recommended price for the freehold, obviously people will still bid more/community will dictate what they are worth. But this will also let see people that X are paying 5x more and it's not worth it, possibly bringing down prices to make them more attainable. I realise this is unlikely given how sought after they will be but thought I'd share the idea.
  • Options
    rocsekrocsek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Some of my thoughts/ideas

-Please no. I hate playing Tetris in games that aren't actually Tetris. I plan on mastering a few gathering professions, and this will hurt my soul. I'm playing either way, but if you're taking yays and nays I'm a nay.

How do you feel about the systems shown thus far for planting crops on your Freehold? Does anything in particular concern or excite you regarding this?
    -Everything here seemed on par with what I was already thinking. Looks good.

-What I saw was fine, and expected. A little more detail would be fine with me ;) It is a game after all. (No pigs were hurt in the typing of this message.)

Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold Preview?
    -SO this is a two-parter for me.

-1.) I think you should break the mold when it comes to how the bidding system works for gaining a freehold initially from the node. I think there should be a non refundable fee, (xx gold) to buy a ticket (think raffle) Then weight the drawing by how much a person has contributed to the node itself (mobs killed, resourced donated, quests completed). On top of that make it so your failed bid counts towards your next bid in the same node. This would give everyone that's truly working for the node a chance at a FH each time and not just favor a group or guild of people just funneling money to 1 bidder.

-2.) I think there should be a way for a FH owner to open up the FH to others without having to be in the Family. Even if it's just to other same node residents. Seems weird to me that I'd have to say sorry, I know you can see and touch that workbench right there, but my family is full so you can't use it. I'm the type that if I have that type stuff, I'd want as many friends, guildies, and node members using it as possible to help our area out.
    Kaos & Lace Cartel
    "Come join us as you wont like the taste of the Grapefruits we're throwing at our enemies."

"Never settle for what you think you know" - C. Krauthammer
  • Options
    What kind of customization do you want with your Freehold, or buildings on your Freehold?

Like many people have said already, an option to upload custom images as a picture in a picture frame or a poster type object would be cool. Of course, we want the hard to craft and rare sculptures/art pieces/unique furniture. Gargoyles, scarecrows, garden sculptures, swings, fountains, bird baths, slip n slides, hammocks, gorgeous beautiful non-gatherable trees and bushes, different grasses (ie; zoysia, st. augustine, blue, bermuda) Stone pathing with different type of stone patterns, dog houses, bird houses, lounge chairs. I want to be able to build a green house and grow exotic flowers and orchids. Unique looking cactus. I want to be able to install french doors in my house. Open windows, leave doors open, half doors, dog doors, I need my freehold to have a farm dog that runs around and does farm dog stuff, tinted windows, stings of lights to hang from trees, change the color of doors and shutters. I want to be able to customize who can do what with the stuff on my freehold. I can say who can plant and harvest on my property, Humans can eat from my table for free but Tulnar have to pay. Thats all i can think of for now!
  • Options
    MIBMIB Member
    Turjilin wrote: »
    1) i don't like that free holds are limited especially when some skilling can only be leveled trough free holds
    2) the inventory system will become very tedious since it will require constant movement and management of items in the bag
    3) when you get off the mount I liked that they stay there but I suggest giving them a rest animation not just staying there into stiff position

This is my concern as well. The freeholds are the only way to level some artisan classes such as animal husbandry. Buildings such as stables can ONLY be built in a freehold so how are we going to pursue animal husbandry if you have to own a freehold? A freehold that will likely only be owned by the most powerful, wealthy, and connected players. Guilds in particular. For realism this doesn't make sense that you have to be a powerful connected player to be a simple dirt farmer. Some solutions are to add public processing buildings like public stables that can be built in nodes. Expand node housing to have larger space for farming crops or a stable. Or finally to have smaller instanced freeholds that can lead to a small area in the Underrealm where you can set up a smaller freehold although this would still have disadvantages because since it is instanced no one would be able to see a tavern/inn making those pointless to build.
  • Options
    At this stage of development, we don't have a lot of details to work with. So I have plenty of concerns about how things MIGHT work or where they COULD be headed. But I don't have a lot of confidence that what I'm thinking is on-track with current design, or reasonable for the future. I guess I'll just say how I think these systems should work and hope that some of it is constructive.

Freehold acquisition:
    The world should be packed with as many parcels as possible, as long as they aren't literally blocking roads/dungeon entrances/entire POI. Make them smaller and more densely packed if necessary. I know there are other considerations to keep the game functional, but it's critically important that there is enough slots for more than 10% of the playerbase to get a freehold. I'd rather have more parcels than is necessary than too little (some parcels empty, only the best real estate has fierce competition). Also, I heard that there is supposed to be a minimum buffer between freeholds so players can't put their freeholds right next to each other. Why?

Assuming there still won't be enough freeholds for everyone, the restrictions for getting a freehold (namely, being level 50 and outbidding everyone else) only serve to reward a two types of player - those who no-life grind to level 50 on release to beat the land rush, or those with the most access to capital (long-term gold grinders, or people with economic-focused guilds). This system depends far too much on how many man-hours you (and your friends) can devote to making money over the entire lifetime of the game. Looking ahead, imagine how bad the bidding wars will be after 2 years of typical MMO wealth inflation.

Ideally there would be different ways to win freeholds in different areas. Like via reputation or duels. Different acquisition systems that make freeholds accessible to different player types. And I'm not saying everyone needs/deserves a freehold... But even a pure lottery system for some freeholds would be better than elite economists owning literally everything.

Really though, the important part is making sure that every player can access the core systems that they bought the game for. Whether that's through freeholds, instanced apartments, public processing stations/farms, or whatever.

Placement system:
    The placement system for building/decorating should aim to be as powerful and flexible as Wildstar's. Fine-grained placement/rotation. Anything should be able to stick to almost any surface (no designated "table/shelf" objects and "tabletop only" objects.) Resizing should be possible to a reasonable extent. Full control over color isn't necessary, but there should be plenty of options, whether that's from skin variants or dyes or whatever.

Bag systems:
    "Inventory bag Tetris" should only be a thing if it's supported as a fleshed-out minigame. 2x2 or 3x1 inventory items are not interesting. A 5% bonus to gathering certain materials is not interesting or worth any extra effort managing bags. If bags are going to go down that route, give me a reason to actually care about it (large bonuses to efficiency, small combat effects, or unique conveniences.) And make it an interesting problem to solve to maximize those bonuses: Where the item is in the bag should matter; shapes should be more varied and weird; the relation of those items to each other (adjacent or not, which side, etc.) should matter; maybe even add special empowering items that exist solely to interact with that grid and buff items around it or the whole bag.

If the design isn't deep enough to require thought or meaningful decisions, then there's no reason to have different item shapes at all. A 2x2 item just takes up 4 times as much space. But you could get the same effect by increasing it's weight or decreasing it's stack limit.

Processing building perks
    The perk trees looked enticing, but again I hope there's enough depth to make it worthwhile. Players should be making trade-offs between efficiency, convenience, quality, and throughput. There should be some major perks (not all) that go beyond % bonuses and actually change how your "assembly line" works. Single-step processes that get broken into two to provide extra quality or throughput. New materials salvaged from scrap (round-about efficiency). Automation or larger batches to cut down on the time you need to physically interact with the stations (convenience).

And there should be some level of synergy between different processing stations, and between other systems (bags, crafting gear/stats), to allow more holistic builds to develop, tailored to available inputs or desired outputs. Maybe materials are scarce in the area so you stack Resourcefulness (example stat taken from WoW) and you do a lot of the processing without automation to cut down on waste. Maybe you just want the best top-tier crafting possible, so you stack whatever-the-crafting-equivalent-of-Critical-Strike-is and you pick perks with random proc effects that boost quality.

Farming
    I don't have a lot of experience with farming gameplay, and this post is already too long, so I'll defer to others on this. All I will say is that I think the "feel" of the mechanics is probably more important than the depth for this system. It's a lot nicer to gather 50 plants one at a time, or feed the animals for the 50th day in a row, if the action has a nice flow to it and some good audio/visual feedback. (And please treat the animals nicely. I appreciate the little animation soothing the pig before it was time to serve his purpose...)
  • Options

Much love.

If you make them too resource intensive no one will be able to upgrade them enough between sieges. I realise how important they are and they are so important they shouldn't be made redundant.

Dont forget there not designed for solo players either so resource cost reflects that.

And your suppose to defend you node and if you do succeed there a CD before they can seige again, they are the high risk hgh reward housing
  • Options

Much love.

Dont forget there not designed for solo players either so resource cost reflects that.

And your suppose to defend you node and if you do succeed there a CD before they can seige again, they are the high risk hgh reward housing

They are no more high risk than static houses. In fact, they are less risk because you can transfer a freehold to a new zoi after a siege if a t3 zoi covers the plot.

Just because the devs claim something is a privilege doesn't make the aspect the highest risk.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    After reading through all the discussions about the freeholds, it seems like there is obviously no one perfect system to decide who gets freeholds. But maybe since there are 4 different types of nodes, there can be 4 different methods to get freeholds. Military and economic freeholds could be big and fought over by the hard core players (bidding). Meanwhile scientific and divine freeholds could be smaller and be more attainable. For instance, for the divine node, maybe there is a way to learn how to “pray” for housing once a day. And when divine freehold(s) become available, invitations go out randomly (divine intervention), to the players who have “prayed” the most (once you get a freehold, your count goes to zero).

Also, I’m wondering if you’ve considered the interplay between the Tetris storage system and the gathering artisan class. It seems to me that the gathering Artisan class is already the least appealing to master, as the rewards are less immediate than mastering processing or crafting. And gatherers would have to be constantly dealing with this somewhat tricky storage system that other mmos do not have. Maybe as you master gathering, lower level items that you gather become stackable squares instead of shapes. And for master gatherers even journeyman level items become simple stackable squares.
  • Options
    PagemasterPagemaster Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of having to change material bags to the activity that I'm doing at the time. As long as there's one free material bag, that has all slots allocated, incase you come across something you didn't plan on doing so.
    Also, with the system where bags/pouches/items/etc. Will show on your person, I think it'll be a refreshing visual experience everytime you decide to go out adventuring.

I like the idea of being able to allocate more space to the things you choose.
    I am concerned about while out and adventuring, your crops dying. Will there be a notice that you need to water or fertilize the land?
    Will I not be able to stray too far away from my freehold?
    In rainy weather do I still have to water my crops?
    In different biomes will certain crops prosper more than others?

The showcase of livestock and the collection of resources was perfectly fine.
    I'm hoping like crops, I can allocate more space to livestock.
    It did look like barely any resources was collected though, will the time be worth the value?
    Same things, can I not stray too far away from my freehold because they have to be fed and watered.
    Could I grow crops and then feed my livestock with crops?

Ability to set a price to use facilities (specifically processing stations) for anyone.
    Public, guildies, friends and family.
    Other than that, I think I need to see more or get my hands on it.

Is there anything in particular you’re concerned about regarding what was shown with the Freehold?

The whole idea of freehold is exciting, it sounds like there can be alot of perks for players. I'm looking forward to what perks other housing will have.

I do have some concerns.
    1. Does the node still have to be tier 3 (village) before being able to buy the plot of land for the freehold?

3. It seems the only restrictions to aquire a plot of land is a quest and money. I thought it was going to be difficult to aquire a freehold? Do you think making it easier will tempt players or groups of people to aquire these plots of land, then re sell them or other nefarious ideas?

3. There was a skill tree shown with one of the skills showing feather beds, first thing, great idea. Second, I dont think it's a good idea to have a general level or adventuring level linked to these skills trees. I feel it's gate keeping someone that wants to focus on their freehold(horizontal progression). If I chose to solely work on my freehold, my upgrades should be based on how well I run said building or system on the freehold. Like weapons, the better I'm with a weapon, the more skills I should aquire. I think it will give players more of a reward for taking the risk of putting their time into these systems. Now, I do agree with a base level to complete the quest or certain goals you have to achieve first, but it shouldn't be gate keeper behind your adventuring level. The other skill shown with the helpers in the processing tree and you have to be a grand master in the profession FIRST, before you can gain that skill, I think is PERFECT. All skills requirements should be focused around said system, building, etc.

4. It was said guild halls on freehold plots will be coming at a later date. I think this is where we will see more light shown on the family system, guilds and freeholds.

5. The family system needs to be explained. As a player I should be able to delegate to guilds, public, friends and family how my freehold charges them or what they can interact with. All systems should go through the player.

6. I'm okay with only a certain amount of freeholds, but it has to be difficult to attain. If someone at launch chooses to be a processor and focus on being the best processor, that means adventuring level is going to be placed on the back burner. (Horizontal progression vs vertical progression)
    That's the way the player is deciding to play and it SHOULD come easier to them if that's what they are focusing on.

7. In this freehold system and family system. What happens to players that join the game a year after launch and no freeholds are available? What if they want to go processing and no freehold are available, immediately the game becomes harder for new players to break the barrier, or they have to buy their plot or their spot into a family at a premium.

Maybe some things need to be explained more.
    I'm looking forward to more information.
      Guild Leader of The Adventurers Guild,
      Pagemaster
    • Options
      VeeshanVeeshan Member
      edited July 2023

Much love.

They are no more high risk than static houses. In fact, they are less risk because you can transfer a freehold to a new zoi after a siege if a t3 zoi covers the plot.

Just because the devs claim something is a privilege doesn't make the aspect the highest risk.

Thats appartments that you can transfer to new nodes which is the low risk houisng. Freeholds can be destroyed if not defended within 2 hours after a node it associated looses poofing all investment into it (i think u keep furniture however but building and materials are gone.
      Same deal with in node housing but there less resources invested into them only gold it seems so it less risk than freeholds
    • Options

Much love.

Thats appartments that you can transfer to new nodes which is the low risk houisng. Freeholds can be destroyed if not defended within 2 hours after a node it associated looses poofing all investment into it (i think u keep furniture however but building and materials are gone.
      Same deal with in node housing but there less resources invested into them only gold it seems so it less risk than freeholds

You can transfer the same blueprints of a freehold though. The resources are a sink, not a risk. A siege would be the risk.
      2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    • Options
      VeeshanVeeshan Member
      edited July 2023

Much love.

You can transfer the same blueprints of a freehold though. The resources are a sink, not a risk. A siege would be the risk.

Much love.

blueprint transfer means nothing it just saves your layout so u can dump resources into them again.

Resources are a time investment so its a risk every risk is just a time investment
    • Options
      It's not really a risk though. There is nothing risky about a resource sink. Same applies to armour repair. The sinks are not about risk but about player agency. The risk is corruption to the armour, the risk is siege to the accommodations.
      2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    • Options
      WasilahWasilah Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
      I'm going to guess that many have talked about the number of houses and number of players and how some may end up not having a home. I think this is not overly bad for the large cities just because it helps encourage people to build in the surrounding nodes. I would however like to see the ability to turn a low level node into something that can fit more freeholds in or can handle more housing. Something like if there is a single node between a city and a town it can be upgraded to hold X more players(via freeholds/apts), if there are 2 nodes between a city and town they can be upgraded to hold some lesser amount Y. I'd kind of like to see it where there are nodes of nothing but freeholds and smaller housing.

As for the tradeskill/profession stuff, I REALLY hope we can choose the shape/size of the crop fields. Would love to see a dynamic builder for fields where we pick the edges/corners and everything inside it is counted as whatever kind of thing we were building (i.e. crop field, grazing pasture, training field, breeding pin, lake/pond for fish, whatever the profession calls for that isn't a station to build)