Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Primary Class Utilities - Thoughts?

We know that certain classes will have utilities that will help in exploration and discovery.

Some example concepts already talked about would be Rogue’s having a Spyglass ability, Mages revealing magical traps or barriers, or a grappling hook that could be given to more movement based classes.

Talked about it on the Discord couple times and collected people’s thoughts to put into a post. My question is what do you think each class should get as a utility?

Utilities should provide no stat benefits like more damage or quicker gathering but rather something that belongs to the primary class’ identity as shown above.

Some ideas talked about already:
Bard - No ideas yet
Cleric - Dispell evil magic like curses on a locked chess
Fighter - Ability to mantle or climb certain terrain to provide new vantage points
Mage - Reveal hidden runes, get rid of magical barriers
Ranger - Able to scout with animal companion/ping enemies
Rogue - Spyglass able to see farther away, grappling hook
Summoner - Able to summon physical platforms to help groups cross treacherous terrain like lava
Tank - Able to life heavy gates or clear debris to reveal new paths

These abilities should match well with the primary class identity and feel useful in niche settings. Something that makes people think “Hey we need a *class name* for this upcoming dungeon because there’s a hidden/blocked path we can take.”

I want to hear your thoughts and ideas on this because I know there’s better ones out there. Tell me what you think.

Comments

• Options
    rogue should disarm traps and open hidden doors.
    there can be certain npc inside the dungeons that can be convinced by bards to give a reward, or open a path to a treasure or do something
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bard could sing vines and branches apart to reveal a new path.
  • Options
    SolmyrSolmyr Member
    Looking at the territorial behavior of the spiders in the Cyclops stream, I think Bard could have some very interesting utilities relating to influencing the behavior of enemies.

For example, say a particular dungeon has a large number of mercenary guards near the entrance. These guards won't immediately attack players on sight, instead they'll draw their weapons and tell the player/party to get lost. Bards could have a special ability that allows them to talk to the mercenaries and convince them to let their party enter the dungeon.
  • Options
    maybe similar to archeage in downtime between fights a bard could play their instrument giving their teammates little buffs or a HoT
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    RandyBK wrote: »
    Talked about it on the Discord couple times and collected people’s thoughts to put into a post. My question is what do you think each class should get as a utility?

Not really. Some classes simply aren't focused on out-of-combat utility at all and in my opinion it would look like some hollow attempt to say "we ticked that box for every class" if Intrepid would try and shoehorn that in. Having lower out-of-combat utility means to me that they will excell other classes in combat. From my perspective that is the same as with with the ability to heal - not having it means greater strengths in other regards.

Leaving that part of the discussion aside I think it has already been mentioned and documented on the Wiki that Bards will have high out-of-combat utility which might even go as far as giving additional resting benefits,
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    @Kilion

I think that reference in the wiki on the bards high out-of-combat utility is referring to buffs perhaps.

And while I do kind of agree that ""we ticked that box for every class" would be a little.. weird.. I think it just seems weird on the surface like it's generic, like "all the games do that", which surprisingly they don't, that would actually be kind of a unique feature.

As for the pro/con aspect of classes, I think out of combat abilities can be exempt from that. That's more of a balance thing which arises from people feeling a class is OP or underpowered. They all do sort of have pros/cons by classes having some things that others don't. The summoner seems OP though, screw the rogues grapple and the fighters mantle, the summoner will just make a platform for everyone lol.

As far as RP goes, a non technical side of things, It seems most people would consider it more immersive and fun than the opposite.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    RandyBK wrote: »
    Some ideas talked about already:
    Bard - No ideas yet
    Cleric - Dispell evil magic like curses on a locked chess
    Fighter - Ability to mantle or climb certain terrain to provide new vantage points
    Mage - Reveal hidden runes, get rid of magical barriers
    Ranger - Able to scout with animal companion/ping enemies
    Rogue - Spyglass able to see farther away, grappling hook
    Summoner - Able to summon physical platforms to help groups cross treacherous terrain like lava
    Tank - Able to life heavy gates or clear debris to reveal new paths

I think these are all great and would be absolutely no brainers to have in the game as long as they were just adorned heavily. I want to see cool little opportunities to really use and take serious advantage with these things all over in really cool spots/ways.

I will say though that the rogue spyglass seems questionable in that I can't imagine it would serve much of a group function beyond open world PvP scenarios.

5lntw0unofqp.gif