Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question about Bosses and PvP

I’m curious about the mechanics of bosses mixed with PvP. So basically my question is this.
If you and your team are out in the world fighting a boss like the Cyclops and another group of people Run in and start to attack your group, then shouldn’t that boss see the new group of people as being more dangerous to itself? It the bosses “thoughts” this new group are obviously there to kill it as well and this is a secondary wave.

I think this would fit great within your risk Vs Rewards gameplay mechanic or loop.

One it would make people think twice about the idea of attacking engaged players because you could end up fighting the group you just ganked and the mobs at the exact same time.

I have played Lineage (both) and ArcAge and both had very interesting systems. It seems that in AOC you are leaning more towards lineage who’s risk/reward system had glaring holes. Maybe you have ideas around that. I just thought this would be one interesting idea with how you guys at AOC are always weighing risk vs reward.

Comments

• Options
    I’m curious about the mechanics of bosses mixed with PvP. So basically my question is this.
    If you and your team are out in the world fighting a boss like the Cyclops and another group of people Run in and start to attack your group, then shouldn’t that boss see the new group of people as being more dangerous to itself? It the bosses “thoughts” this new group are obviously there to kill it as well and this is a secondary wave.

I think this would fit great within your risk Vs Rewards gameplay mechanic or loop.

One it would make people think twice about the idea of attacking engaged players because you could end up fighting the group you just ganked and the mobs at the exact same time.

I have played Lineage (both) and ArcAge and both had very interesting systems. It seems that in AOC you are leaning more towards lineage who’s risk/reward system had glaring holes. Maybe you have ideas around that. I just thought this would be one interesting idea with how you guys at AOC are always weighing risk vs reward.

whyyyyyyyyy. and no, the cyclops will view any1 as a threat..or aybe whoever has the highest threat level, aka people hitting him..you know maybe the cyclops will think that the new people came to help him and kill those people who tried to ruin his stroll
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    If you played Lineage 2 then can i assume you've fought Grand bosses like Antharas and Valakas?
    Something that even people who played Lineage 2 don't know(or forget) is that both of them(and their minions) had random target acquisition of people's target by merely being around it even if not attacking it, making them a threat to who ever is near them(+ their huge AoEs), allies or enemies and it is something i expect to see in Ashes Open World bosses.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the typical combat strategy is to kill the weakest enemies first.
    Because that means you end up with the fewest enemies and thereby the fewest threats/attacks.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I'd find it more interesting if the Cyclops saw the enemy of it's enemy as its friend - or at least as a temporary ally until the second group attacked it. What if the cyclops gave the second group loot since it eliminated the first group? Maybe group 2 is a cyclops savior foundation.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png