Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do people fearmonger too much about proximity voice chat?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think Ashes should be an industry leader in community moderation tools. Having the ability to mute & submit feedback on a player, and then having intelligent systems to automatically apply similar actions for those who opt in.

So, let's say someone is blasting music through proxy chat:
    -20 nearby players all mute the offending player for "proxy chat spam" within a timeframe.
    -System flags user as a spammer.
    -Settings have options to auto mute proxy chat spammers for a configurable duration.
    -Similar settings for global chat spammers, auto-deny friend/trade requests, auto block private messages, etc.

We can have nice things if we also have the tools to effectively moderate it ourselves. It will only be a problem temporarily until these "bad apples" are eventually just moderated into a single player experience because they lack the social nicities to play with others.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    no auto ban or auto punishments please. that will just lead to people mass reporting players who haven't done anything wrong to get rid of them.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kionashi wrote: »
    I mean, all the time, when the topic is brought up, people jump to complain that everybody will be screaming the n-word all the time, kids will be making weird noises with shitty mics, or guys will blast crappy hip hop 24/7 in the main plaza.

It makes me believe allowing that option will turn AoC in a call of duty lobby or something like that. Something like hell on earth.

Now would that really be the case though?

Im aware Im speaking from ignorance since I haven't played a game with open mic before, but I want to believe that kind of players will be few a far between, and with easy tools to mute annoying players it shouldn't be a mayor issue. Like yeah... you might find someone who annoys you from time to time, but I think the ease to talk with random people you find in the wild will open new avenues to socialize and make friends inside the game, and I think that would be potentially a pretty amazing experience.

My voice sounds like shit across general low grade electronics.

You definitely don’t want to hear it on shitty equipment or prox chat.
  • Options
    LadyZelLadyZel Member
    edited July 2023
    I'd have it off permanently. There isn't enough maturity out there to make it a worthwhile experience for me.

People will be annoying. They will play obnoxious music. They will make random noises, use unpleasant language, and sound like the unwanted cousin the neanderthals left to die in the wilderness.

If most people were mature, and you could have normal interactions, I'd keep it on, but in my experience it rarely happens.
    "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." —J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Options
    I think Ashes should be an industry leader in community moderation tools. Having the ability to mute & submit feedback on a player, and then having intelligent systems to automatically apply similar actions for those who opt in.

So, let's say someone is blasting music through proxy chat:
    -20 nearby players all mute the offending player for "proxy chat spam" within a timeframe.
    -System flags user as a spammer.
    -Settings have options to auto mute proxy chat spammers for a configurable duration.
    -Similar settings for global chat spammers, auto-deny friend/trade requests, auto block private messages, etc.

We can have nice things if we also have the tools to effectively moderate it ourselves. It will only be a problem temporarily until these "bad apples" are eventually just moderated into a single player experience because they lack the social nicities to play with others.

If they had a robust system where you could auto-mute players that others have reported as being obnoxious prox chat spammers, then maybe I'd be more inclined toward it. It would just require a lot of development and testing that could be used elsewhere, so I'm unsure if the opportunity cost would be worth it; but I wouldn't complain about a system like that as long as it worked well. I still imagine most people just turning off prox chat though.
  • Options
    DrDefault wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    DrDefault wrote: »
    Proximity chat is great and if people act toxic just whisper a gm, they’re going to be active in the game. So, I don’t see it as a nonissue if they implement proximity chat.

In a game like Ashes, toxicity isnt against the rules.
    That’s good then, I think toxicity is pretty healthy for a gaming community that’s pvp centric. I really can’t stand the false positivity that people try to push online because it’s bullshit anyways.

I mean, one thing is thrash talking or sassy banter, and another thing is flaming and death threats....
  • Options
    just ignore it...
  • Options
    Ezk1Ezk1 Member
    I'm all for proximity voice, of course there will be annoying people, but lots of awesome stuff out weights that.
    Maybe you need to be certain level to use it, to discourage risking your account? I play a lot games with open voice system nowadays, and generally its positive. Also, lets be real, we will never get back to level of those old-school Halo/CoD lobbies =D
  • Options
    Kionashi wrote: »
    I mean, one thing is thrash talking or sassy banter, and another thing is flaming and death threats....

Like I said, report it.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Nope.
    Most people are self centered and members of the 'fur the lulz' group.
  • Options
    The problem is most people assume the majority would have good intent. That has never been the case in any instance of proximity chat/voice in almost any game (co-op focused games not being counted in this). The second you empower people to have no filter on the internet, it goes bad fast and there are infinite examples of such. It shouldn't be on me to have to filter out people and /ignore people every day multiple times a day to weed these people out. Text chat is enough and discord for my group/guild is superior.

Hell play a game of Dota 2, or COD, or any other team based multiplayer setting.
  • Options
    Alot of non COD players in here it seems
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Alot of non COD players in here it seems

Yeah, different demographics with the same result and the "work" of blocking people and filtering left to me instead of not introducing it at all. You would be surprised what people who sit behind a computer screen will do when they don't think there is any repercussions. These were obviously examples, but I'd love to be wrong in this case.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    The problem is most people assume the majority would have good intent. That has never been the case in any instance of proximity chat/voice in almost any game (co-op focused games not being counted in this). The second you empower people to have no filter on the internet, it goes bad fast and there are infinite examples of such. It shouldn't be on me to have to filter out people and /ignore people every day multiple times a day to weed these people out. Text chat is enough and discord for my group/guild is superior.

Hell play a game of Dota 2, or COD, or any other team based multiplayer setting.

This sounds like negative bias. Most people either don't say anything or are nice. In your last game that had a negative player, how many other people were there not being negative?

At the end of the day, if it's not your thing, you should be able to mute the feature so others can enjoy it.
  • Options

This sounds like negative bias. Most people either don't say anything or are nice. In your last game that had a negative player, how many other people were there not being negative?

At the end of the day, if it's not your thing, you should be able to mute the feature so others can enjoy it.

I appreciate the point you are making, and you are correct.

I realize the nature of negative bias, and I am not stating that out of 100 people 90 of them will be running around ruining the environment. My hope is that the subscription model/mods will remove the majority of this issue, but I have just never seen a proxy chat ever employed in a way that has erased this issue. I don't think it's make or break for the game and let me be wrong and that's fine by me but there aren't many "positive" versions of this to point to. Or if there is, please share as I would love to see how this can be deployed effectively.

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I appreciate the point you are making, and you are correct.

I realize the nature of negative bias, and I am not stating that out of 100 people 90 of them will be running around ruining the environment. My hope is that the subscription model/mods will remove the majority of this issue, but I have just never seen a proxy chat ever employed in a way that has erased this issue. I don't think it's make or break for the game and let me be wrong and that's fine by me but there aren't many "positive" versions of this to point to. Or if there is, please share as I would love to see how this can be deployed effectively.

When you are playing with people, especially with people you know, isn't the main way you communicate with them through voice?

The positive is the convenience of easily communicating with people around you. There is a reason most people get in voice chat when they are playing a team game, it's easier to communicate by talking than typing.

As for your complaints, I think they are solved with a mute option.