Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do people fearmonger too much about proximity voice chat?

I mean, all the time, when the topic is brought up, people jump to complain that everybody will be screaming the n-word all the time, kids will be making weird noises with shitty mics, or guys will blast crappy hip hop 24/7 in the main plaza.

It makes me believe allowing that option will turn AoC in a call of duty lobby or something like that. Something like hell on earth.

Now would that really be the case though?

Im aware Im speaking from ignorance since I haven't played a game with open mic before, but I want to believe that kind of players will be few a far between, and with easy tools to mute annoying players it shouldn't be a mayor issue. Like yeah... you might find someone who annoys you from time to time, but I think the ease to talk with random people you find in the wild will open new avenues to socialize and make friends inside the game, and I think that would be potentially a pretty amazing experience.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kionashi wrote: »
    Now would that really be the case though?
    Yes.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    The questions is why would the devs, knowing of the chaotic bahaviour of online people, spend time coding something that most people will mute for most of the time?

Why should they have to deal with the complains that will arise from that, and you know people will rather not mute, but sit there and get offended.

Why?
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    My new world experience with a proximity voice system changed my opinion.

Most of the time, I was happy with the interactions and enjoyed the conversation of random, but there were occasional individuals who used inappropriate language, engaged in off-topic discussions, or played sports or music in the background.

Frankly, the distasteful/inappropriate content played or spoken by a few people made me not want to use the system at all. It is on mute now. Just not worth it.

Much prefer controlled environments such as discord.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Proximity Chat is something I want to see in the game for 2 main reasons

1 - devs will already spend the time coding it there is proximity chat confirmed for POIs so adding it to the open world is just an option - this also already makes them having to deal with the "issues" that come along

2 - all the arguments against it are completely irrelevant because never in history there was a game with proximity chat that didn't allow you to turn it off, most games have it off by default, which could be the case
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If they add it they should add the ability to mute accounts.
  • Options
    Proximity chat bad. DayZ proximity chat is toxic. Like George said above, why would they spend the time coding something when most people will turn it off? And why you using the word fearmonger? Who is fearmongering this idea? Devs have said for awhile that there will be no proximity chat. Just a Voip for raids and dungeons. Why are you fearmongering @Kionashi ?
    The Steven giveth and the Steven taketh away
  • Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ya, I just do not think it would go over well. I'm on the nope wagon.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    4b172iluflpi.png
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Voice_communications

Be the change you want to see. If you're able to participate or know someone who can join Alpha2 - be on your best behavior and report any dumb shits who mess up the voice chat.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    0/5 Stars - Would not recommend.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited July 2023
    Some people like it some don't, thats part of what it means to give players a choice. Encouraging social interaction is a pillar of the game too, so there is probably a stronger argument to include it vs not to. Either way, people will be able to communicate in other ways, so there is nothing wrong with letting people choose their preferred method.
  • Options
    KionashiKionashi Member
    edited July 2023
    The questions is why would the devs, knowing of the chaotic bahaviour of online people, spend time coding something that most people will mute for most of the time?

Why should they have to deal with the complains that will arise from that, and you know people will rather not mute, but sit there and get offended.

Why?

and my question is...are you sure most people will mute it most of the time though? just because you will mute it doesn't mean most people will do it.

People tend to think that their opinions are the opinions of the majority of the playerbase of the game and they are speaking for the community When in reality all the people from the forum + all the people from the reddit combined will still be a tiny insignificant fraction of all the people who will play AoC on day one. Most people don't go on forums for a game that is not even out yet.

Of course by the same token, I can't claim people will love the voice chat and everything will be dandy....but I think is worth a shot, especially considering voice chat will be implemented anyways for Guilds, parties, and family members anyways so the tech will be there.
    Proximity chat bad. DayZ proximity chat is toxic. Like George said above, why would they spend the time coding something when most people will turn it off? And why you using the word fearmonger? Who is fearmongering this idea? Devs have said for awhile that there will be no proximity chat. Just a Voip for raids and dungeons. Why are you fearmongering @Kionashi ?

Im using the word fearmonger because I think some people paint an image of AoC with voice chat like a call of duty lobby and I think that will discourage people from supporting the idea or even trying out Voice chat if it ends up getting implemented. That said, english is not my native language so maybe I misused the word?
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited July 2023
    As toxic as it can be, from my experience I very much miss the experiences i've had with proximity chat, in games that decided to remove it. To me the pros outweigh the cons, so I ended up having overall less fun without the feature.
  • Options
    I want to see proximity chat auto on, but push-to-talk with no option to turn it to open mic.

Mic quality is still absolutely abysmal in terms of picking up breathing and background noises. They'd have to dump a ton of money into more audio engineers to design a proper filter for that to be an option I would imagine.

But push-to-talk seems reasonable.

5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Proximity chat is a lot like freedom. You open yourself up to people being annoying so that you can also be annoying.

Plus, you can have some really awesome moments with it, and you can also have some terrible moments.

I think its worth the risk, but this comes down to personal tastes.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/shorts/yxPhRI-eF3I?feature=share

this gem wouldn't be possible without proximity chat.
    img]
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

The thing is that MO2 has tools to deal with annoying people using voip. Its called murdering them and stealing all their loot. A good fix for when you encounter obnoxious people.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We won't know for sure until we see how it's implemented.
    My experience is that proximity chat sucks and is immersion-breaking as other players' home chat and metal music bleeds into the game.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited July 2023
    Sathrago wrote: »

The thing is that MO2 has tools to deal with annoying people using voip. Its called murdering them and stealing all their loot. A good fix for when you encounter obnoxious people.

Sounds like a perfect solution for AoC too. Turning on proximity chat makes you purple all the time, but only to other people who have prox chat on.

Prox-off people like me will see prox-on people as green until they start hitting each other. Then they become purple to everyone.
  • Options
    Spif wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »

Sounds like a perfect solution for AoC too. Turning on proximity chat makes you purple all the time, but only to other people who have prox chat on.

Prox-off people like me will see prox-on people as green until they start hitting each other. Then they become purple to everyone.

Haha, then we will have gangs of purple trash talkers looking for fights hehe.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Wish I had enough faith in players to think this was a good idea, but really don't. Open to testing so long as there is a universal mute option. Too many players in one place pretty well ensures that there will be obnoxious noises that will overbear any genuine utility or fun which could otherwise be had. Would love to be wrong though.
  • Options
    Wish I had enough faith in players to think this was a good idea, but really don't. Open to testing so long as there is a universal mute option. Too many players in one place pretty well ensures that there will be obnoxious noises that will overbear any genuine utility or fun which could otherwise be had. Would love to be wrong though.

yep, people with hot microphones, mouth breathers, children screaming in the background, loud music playing, people yelling about how this guy is a cheater and others crying about other real world problems not suitable for the game. Please no.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    Voice chat is good. Would help figure out if you can trust others or not and find similar minded players easier.
    Also you will recognize players even if they change alts and accounts. If they lose their reputation, they will not enter in guilds anymore.
    And surprisingly people are more polite when they speak than when they write in chat.
  • Options
    At least in this game we'll have the option of killing the toxic voice-chatters or those who just play music through their voice comms. Vote with your weapon!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    does anyone know a game with voice chat that didn't have the option to turn it off or mute other players?

I see people saying "I dont want it because people are loud" or "as long as I can turn it off" all the time,

but to me this is strange, it's like saying "I don't want music in the game" - when in every game you can simply turn it down/off lol
    img]
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I turn the proximity chat off. It will always be off.
    I haven't ever experienced good proximity chat.
    I have experienced great music.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I love proximity chat, but unfortunately I just see it being a disaster. Last thing I need is to hear someone say they'll k**l my family just because I ganked them.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Proximity chat is great and if people act toxic just whisper a gm, they’re going to be active in the game. So, I don’t see it as a nonissue if they implement proximity chat.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    DrDefault wrote: »
    Proximity chat is great and if people act toxic just whisper a gm, they’re going to be active in the game. So, I don’t see it as a nonissue if they implement proximity chat.

In a game like Ashes, toxicity isnt against the rules.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    DrDefault wrote: »

In a game like Ashes, toxicity isnt against the rules.
    That’s good then, I think toxicity is pretty healthy for a gaming community that’s pvp centric. I really can’t stand the false positivity that people try to push online because it’s bullshit anyways.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I love proximity chat, but unfortunately I just see it being a disaster. Last thing I need is to hear someone say they'll k**l my family just because I ganked them.

just tell them u mad bro? XDD