Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Secondary Archetype Prediction

The secondary archetype will change the character's class & role WAY more than most people are anticipating.

Many people on these forums have taken the position that the Secondary choice will only add minor modifications, or "flavor", to your primary archetype abilities. However, Steven is on record as saying it can dramatically change your character's role and your active abilities.

https://youtu.be/rrD4RCTbxds

16:40

Balancing 64 unique classes would be near impossible, but IS has made it clear that they are not looking to balance all of the classes.

I am anticipating 64 fairly unique classes. I mean, do people really think that Ashes will only have 1 healer, with 8 slightly different variations? No. There will be multiple unique healers (not including the Bard, tbd on that). My only hope is that there aren't a small handful of clear metas (High Priest, Guardian, etc).

I am further predicting that the 64 classes will end up being one of the most beloved features of Ashes.

Mark it.

Comments

• Options
    BeOwningUBeOwningU Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The archetypes abilities will retain their core conceptual purpose and imo will indeed be flavored with augments despite the augment, in some cases, drastically changing the functionality of the ability.

"Augments can affect a multitude of things. It can drastically change the ability itself. It can change the damage type. It can change the cooldown period. It can change the damage values. It can change the distance. It can dramatically change it from a ranged effect to a melee effect. Augments are essentially can create- they are creating entirely new skills, but they're going to keep obviously some identity with what that primary active ability was."[13] – Steven Sharif
    kzlop9coy4kh.png
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    I am hoping we see some reactive heals today... or that you are right and we can eventually get to them with augments and secondary archetypes.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    mcnasty wrote: »
    I am anticipating 64 fairly unique classes.

Sorry, but you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. I recommend keeping realistic expectations, this is an independent studio with no previous game development experience and a limited budget, with TONS of systems and content that are extremely ambitious. Sometimes we need a reality check.

8 classes to begin with some build variations is more than enough.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Pretty much what Linker said. OP, you're huffing copious amounts of copium and think that every single thing Steven says will exist in the exact way he says it. But you conveniently forget about the main thing he says that "everything is subject to change" and you're also forgetting about countless other things he has said that have either disappeared into the ether or were just misinterpreted by us and/or misrepresented by Steven.
  • Options
    iccericcer Member
    This is still one of the areas we haven't seen anything about really.

I'm expecting augments (from the secondary archetype) to meaningfully ALTER the primary archetype.

I'm not expecting 64 totally unique and separate classes, with own separate set of abilities, etc.

I do however expect secondary archetypes to alter the visuals of a class, and generally create a somewhat unique class identity. I also expect it to somewhat alter primary archetype's abilities.

So if I pick a Fighter + Mage combo, I do expect my class to look somewhat unique, and different from the regular Fighter. I expect some abilities to be altered to grant them "mage" feel. Gonna use the same example I used previously: a Whirlwind (spin to win) ability from Fighter, turns into an elemental tornado (the element depends on which augment you used), like a fiery tornado that burns, a freezing wind tornado that...chills enemies, an electrifying tornado that shocks enemies, etc. And with the Mage showcase, I'm really positive something like this will be in the game.

And if I pick Mage + Fighter combo, I still expect my class to play like a mage, but maybe with more focus on melee abilities, borrowing some stuff from the Fighter archetype (not sure what that stuff is, because we haven't even seen full Fighter class showcase with 10+ abilities). Something like turning a PBAoE, into a whirlwind...

With Fighter + Cleric, you could infuse some abilities with light/holy theme, and those abilities could have additional effects, they could heal you for example.

That was my understanding of how the system will work, and it's the most important thing to me, and the reason why I even follow this project. So I hope they nail it, and make it so there's a lot of customization available.

• Options
    I've been saying secondaries could have class changing effects this whole time...

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51718/archetype-roles-i-swear-im-not-crazy/p1
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been saying secondaries could have class changing effects this whole time...

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51718/archetype-roles-i-swear-im-not-crazy/p1

Well, we're about to get a Cleric stream.

I feel grossly overconfident that once I've seen 15+ Cleric abilities I can dissect the entire currently intended Augment and battle system.

We shall have answers!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

I feel grossly overconfident that once I've seen 15+ Cleric abilities I can dissect the entire currently intended Augment and battle system.

We shall have answers!

hi bae uwu
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This idea has gone round and round for years. We won't have any solid idea until they show us and alpha 2 when we can test it.

However you will not be getting skill and abilities from your second choice. The secondary will only augment your abilities. What precisely does the mean time will tell.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes
    A player may choose a secondary archetype when they reach level 25.[4] The combination of primary and secondary archetypes is referred to as a class.[4][1][5]

The secondary archetype does not provide additional skills.[11]

The player can then augment their primary skills with effects from their secondary archetype.[4][8]

Each skill in the primary tree will have several augment options from the secondary tree. This is an example of horizontal progression.[8]
    Augments to primary skills can fundamentally change the way the ability works - adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary archetype/class.[13]
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited July 2023

We shall have answers!

We also need more than the 10 examples of augments we have had for years...
  • Options
    I'm not taking any chances with my expectations. I've dig a foot deep trench, put the bar at the bottom, and piled the dirt back.

Only good surprises allowed now!
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    hi bae uwu
    Really living up to your nickname lately
  • Options
    <3
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »
    Sorry, but you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. I recommend keeping realistic expectations, this is an independent studio with no previous game development experience and a limited budget, with TONS of systems and content that are extremely ambitious. Sometimes we need a reality check.

8 classes to begin with some build variations is more than enough.
    I mean... the dev team has plenty of game dev experience.
    Steven is the one who has no previous game dev experience.

The studio seems to have an unlimited budget somehow.

But, yes... the game was supposed to release in 3 years. It's been 6 years and we haven't seen Augments yet.
    We also haven't seen a lot about Nodes, yet.

By design... the OP is correct.
    Whether or not IS can implement the original design well remains to be seen.

Really, no way for us to meaningfully comment on whether they can implement that design well until we're able to test it.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    The studio seems to have an unlimited budget somehow.

This is about the third time you have said some version of this. What are you getting at?

I assure you there is not an "unlimited" budget, but why do you keep pointing this out? It doesn't even seem to have anything to do with what you are trying to say here.
  • Options

We shall have answers!

Do we, though? Can't we just reverse engineer Tradd's combat design ethos from first principles based on 2 minutes and 14 seconds of video and claim with absolute certainty that we know how Augments are going to work?

That's so much spicier.

• Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    This is about the third time you have said some version of this. What are you getting at?

I assure you there is not an "unlimited" budget, but why do you keep pointing this out? It doesn't even seem to have anything to do with what you are trying to say here.
    How can it not have anything to do with what I'm trying to say?
    They don't have a publisher giving them funds for development - which is how things typically work.
    Steven is the one funding the project.
    The project was originally due to release before 2020.
    They did not release before 2020.
    It is now 2023 and they have not yet hit Alpha 2. We don't know when Alpha 2 will be. Most likely Alpha 2 will start after 2023.
    IS is still hiring more devs.
    Steven does not seem to be worried about running out of money before the game releases.
    That's what I'm getting at.

• Options
    edited July 2023

How can it not have anything to do with what I'm trying to say?
    They don't have a publisher giving them funds for development - which is how things typically work.
    Steven is the one funding the project.
    The project was originally due to release before 2020.
    They did not release before 2020.
    It is now 2023 and they have not yet hit Alpha 2. We don't know when Alpha 2 will be. Most likely Alpha 2 will start after 2023.
    IS is still hiring more devs.
    Steven does not seem to be worried about running out of money before the game releases.
    That's what I'm getting at.

do you think that if steven was worried, you would know?

you have a very strange perspective to me.
  • Options

We shall have answers!

Do we, though? Can't we just reverse engineer Tradd's combat design ethos from first principles based on 2 minutes and 14 seconds of video and claim with absolute certainty that we know how Augments are going to work?

That's so much spicier.

Oh yeah
    You right
    My bad... I do love some spice.
  • Options
    who is tradd?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Assuming Steven is actually planning to release the game someday...

If Steven were worried about running out of money:
    He would lock down the game design now rather than saying that everything is subject to change based on feedback from fans...
    He would announce that they have finished hiring new staff...
    He would announce the date for Alpha 2... and it would probably be before 2024...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    who is tradd?
    Tradd Thompson is a Senior Game Designer (aka Resident Combat Designer) featured in the recent Alpha Two Cleric Archetype Update video.
  • Options
    who is tradd?

Senior Game Designer at Intrepid for Ashes.

Put some respec on his name.

Today he respec to Senior Combat Designer for the stream.

Next week maybe he respec to something else.

Primary Archetype will remain the same.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Assuming Steven is actually planning to release the game someday...

If Steven were worried about running out of money:
    He would lock down the game design now rather than saying that everything is subject to change based on feedback from fans...
    He would announce that they have finished hiring new staff...
    He would announce the date for Alpha 2... and it would probably be before 2024...

i am no longer proud of you.

This is propaganda.

He is MORE worried about making a successful, IMPACTFULL game.
  • Options
    oh ok. ty
  • Options
    This is propaganda.
    Propaganda of what...?

• Options
    This is propaganda.
    Propaganda of what...?

i dont know... that was pretty strong. Can i retract it?
  • Options
    This is propaganda.
    Propaganda of what...?

i dont know... that was pretty strong. Can i retract it?

😆
    I love the honesty, I say we let him have the do-over
  • Options

We shall have answers!

Is the dissection complete?
  • Options

We shall have answers!

Is the dissection complete?

Oh, ya sure.

Subscribe to my Patreon for the deets.

More seriously there wasn't that much to analyse beyond what I've already done. No skills seemed to fall outside standard MMO/MOBA stuff, and their transformability is pretty clear. I feel like the specific way in which mana cost and range are displayed in the tooltip UI has some very minor implications, but nothing I'd bother to run the gauntlet for.

SirChancelot is still right. It is not particularly difficult to apply class changing effects to these abilities. Standard stuff I think. So no reason I saw to change from my old list except that I don't know if healing can still crit and I don't think I saw any crit heals.