Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Excessive advantage of a large purposeful guild

13»

Comments

• Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    xmix wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    For 400-500+ hours I would say ok.but if they say 200 hours?that's not okay with me.bigger mmo pulls up 1 character per month with 200 hours.
    Why?

Why?

If someone is putting in two or three times the time as you, they are always going to be ahead of you.

What difference does it make if they are level 20 out of 50 while you are only level 10 out of 50, or if they are level 50 out of 50 and you are only level 35 out of 50?

That is essentially the difference you are talking about here. Regardless of how much time it takes, if you are putting in half the amount of time as someone else, they will still be twice as far ahead as you, and get to the level cap in faster than you.

The only actual solutions here are for either you to spend more time leveling, or for you to not concern yourself with what others are doing and just play the game your way.

Whoever plays more gets a bigger advantage.but it doesn't matter what benefits you get.there are server restrictions.profession,guild buff, and no fast travel.can be avoided with more characters.

What is your solution? I'd rather here that right now on what you want exactly. right now it just sounds like you physically don' want people that play more than you to gain more progress... Without saying a proper solution and trying to pass it off as an idea this is kind of pointless to keep complaining. And pointless because in any normal game you playing more gets you more progress. Unless you go mobile route like lost ark / tower fantasy and cap player progression daily

You entered 1 conversation and did not read history.I would like to know how long it takes to develop 1 character. 1 profession and max lvl approx.if 200 hours will be 1 character, I think it is not enough because they draw 1 character every month.if 450+ hours will be 1 character, then it is not such a problem.I think your server will have a negative effect if there are too many sub characters for people. Develop your 2-3 characters more slowly.1 character on 1 server, but they don't want that, not on all servers, but it would be optional.this is perhaps the friendliest : more time 1 character should be max lvl level.

Ya this is a lost cause I'm just going to chalk it up to you are wrong, you are not giving a proper solution. If you spend more time playing the game you should have more progression. You have not said anything to make me think other wise.

You don't need to be competitive with top players, stop trying to advocate for reducing the amount of work other players put in because you won't play as much and/or make proper connection between other players.

We both play 1000 hours each.only I developed it into 1 character.another person developed 8 characters.this means 8 professions for him. he can be present at 8 points on the map with 2 clicks.and has 8 castes.

• Options
    For 400-500+ hours I would say ok.but if they say 200 hours?that's not okay with me.bigger mmo pulls up 1 character per month with 200 hours.
    Why?

Why?

If someone is putting in two or three times the time as you, they are always going to be ahead of you.

What difference does it make if they are level 20 out of 50 while you are only level 10 out of 50, or if they are level 50 out of 50 and you are only level 35 out of 50?

That is essentially the difference you are talking about here. Regardless of how much time it takes, if you are putting in half the amount of time as someone else, they will still be twice as far ahead as you, and get to the level cap in faster than you.

The only actual solutions here are for either you to spend more time leveling, or for you to not concern yourself with what others are doing and just play the game your way.

Whoever plays more gets a bigger advantage.but it doesn't matter what benefits you get.there are server restrictions.profession,guild buff, and no fast travel.can be avoided with more characters.

What is your solution? I'd rather here that right now on what you want exactly. right now it just sounds like you physically don' want people that play more than you to gain more progress... Without saying a proper solution and trying to pass it off as an idea this is kind of pointless to keep complaining. And pointless because in any normal game you playing more gets you more progress. Unless you go mobile route like lost ark / tower fantasy and cap player progression daily

You entered 1 conversation and did not read history.I would like to know how long it takes to develop 1 character. 1 profession and max lvl approx.if 200 hours will be 1 character, I think it is not enough because they draw 1 character every month.if 450+ hours will be 1 character, then it is not such a problem.I think your server will have a negative effect if there are too many sub characters for people. Develop your 2-3 characters more slowly.1 character on 1 server, but they don't want that, not on all servers, but it would be optional.this is perhaps the friendliest : more time 1 character should be max lvl level.

Ya this is a lost cause I'm just going to chalk it up to you are wrong, you are not giving a proper solution. If you spend more time playing the game you should have more progression. You have not said anything to make me think other wise.

You don't need to be competitive with top players, stop trying to advocate for reducing the amount of work other players put in because you won't play as much and/or make proper connection between other players.

We both play 1000 hours each.only I developed it into 1 character.another person developed 8 characters.this means 8 professions for him. he can be present at 8 points on the map with 2 clicks.and has 8 castes.

Doesn't matter that is for him to decide. If you don't want to put the work in you don't deserve any of the benefits. And that is a substantial amount of work to do that for multiple character and a accomplishment.

If you have a guild you don't need to rely on you doing everything yourself and you can work together to do things faster than someone spending 3k hours.

If you don't want to put the work in and don't have a group or guild you work with. You should have tons of difficulty for end game artisan items since you refuse to work with the community and/or put the work in yourself.

So yes that guy spending hours should have a huge advantage over you, there is nothing wrong here. You are choosing to not be competitive.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Why?

Why?

Doesn't matter that is for him to decide. If you don't want to put the work in you don't deserve any of the benefits. And that is a substantial amount of work to do that for multiple character and a accomplishment.

If you have a guild you don't need to rely on you doing everything yourself and you can work together to do things faster than someone spending 3k hours.

If you don't want to put the work in and don't have a group or guild you work with. You should have tons of difficulty for end game artisan items since you refuse to work with the community and/or put the work in yourself.

So yes that guy spending hours should have a huge advantage over you, there is nothing wrong here. You are choosing to not be competitive.

Either you don't want to or you can't understand what I'm writing.no need to talk to you.if you don't understand the difference between 200 hours of development and 600 hours of development.
  • Options
    Why?

Why?

Either you don't want to or you can't understand what I'm writing.no need to talk to you.if you don't understand the difference between 200 hours of development and 600 hours of development.

I'm saying you are out of luck and aren't competitive , everything is working as intended in the game. What you want I don't want, as well as plenty of other people. If you can't put time in or don't want to commit time to a mmorpg don't play it competitively and don't worry about other players.

Play the game for your own fun. I will be the one to put a crap ton of hours in though so good luck :)
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited August 2023
    Why?

Why?

well, lets do the opposite and go with your suggestion. then people will complain that if you play just 1 character you get a boost, so if they want to play multiple characters, its not fair for them.

the difference is, if you leave things how they are, you arent screwing people who put in the effort.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    In this scenario, did both of you ONLY work for yourselves, or did you work with a guild/node?

Cause if you're talking the PUREST of solo gameplay - yes, that 8-alt player would have an advantage, in the context of "200h maxes out your profession".

But if there's any shred of multiplayerness in your gameplay - your 1k hours will represent a much deeper social network that allows you to gain access to much better resources and at a much faster pace. The 8-alt person won't have shit, because his entire attention was split across different characters w/o any deep connection to his local players.

Also, the "2 clicks to be anywhere on the map" won't work because of no TPs and difficulty of transfer. In the context of pure solo play, that 8-alt player would have to transfer all of his mats on his own, which would mean insane hours of gameplay spent on purely the secure transfer of stuff bit by bit (cause he can't use a caravan, due to high risk).

Ashes is a social game. You'll need parties of people to farm stuff, you'll need parties of people to defend the stuff you've farmed. Being a "do-it-all" solo player will not work out in majority of cases, unless you're fine with being at the bottom of the food chain. But in that case we're not talking about someone benefitting from maxing out their profession.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Why?

Why?

I'm saying you are out of luck and aren't competitive , everything is working as intended in the game. What you want I don't want, as well as plenty of other people. If you can't put time in or don't want to commit time to a mmorpg don't play it competitively and don't worry about other players.

Play the game for your own fun. I will be the one to put a crap ton of hours in though so good luck :)

when the new world was published, I put 200 hours into it in the first month.you will say whether it is too much or too little?(in addition to work).I can see the advantages of 2-8 characters.but maybe someone just wants to push it by 1 character.but if I am a woodcutter and the other 1000 people also have woodcutter characters. who will trade with me?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    but if I am a woodcutter and the other 1000 people also have woodcutter characters. who will trade with me?
    Those who don't have woodcutter alts. Not everyone has the time to max out their entire account-worth of alts. But they will have time to farm some money and trade you for your wood. And the chances are, there'll be around 30-40k people like that on any given server, because the hardcore players with a shitton of time are a minority.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    In this scenario, did both of you ONLY work for yourselves, or did you work with a guild/node?

Cause if you're talking the PUREST of solo gameplay - yes, that 8-alt player would have an advantage, in the context of "200h maxes out your profession".

But if there's any shred of multiplayerness in your gameplay - your 1k hours will represent a much deeper social network that allows you to gain access to much better resources and at a much faster pace. The 8-alt person won't have shit, because his entire attention was split across different characters w/o any deep connection to his local players.

Also, the "2 clicks to be anywhere on the map" won't work because of no TPs and difficulty of transfer. In the context of pure solo play, that 8-alt player would have to transfer all of his mats on his own, which would mean insane hours of gameplay spent on purely the secure transfer of stuff bit by bit (cause he can't use a caravan, due to high risk).

Ashes is a social game. You'll need parties of people to farm stuff, you'll need parties of people to defend the stuff you've farmed. Being a "do-it-all" solo player will not work out in majority of cases, unless you're fine with being at the bottom of the food chain. But in that case we're not talking about someone benefitting from maxing out their profession.

I think that if a lot of people get a lot of sub characters in a relatively short time.there are 500 lumberjacks on the server, but because of alts, there will be 5000 lumberjacks on the server.if you choose a bad profession or a popular profession, you cannot sell it because if you have a profession, you will not pay for it.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I think that if a lot of people get a lot of sub characters in a relatively short time.there are 500 lumberjacks on the server, but because of alts, there will be 5000 lumberjacks on the server.if you choose a bad profession or a popular profession, you cannot sell it because if you have a profession, you will not pay for it.
    I addressed this in the comment above.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    I addressed this in the comment above.

I would be interested in how the developers think about development and vocational training.They think in 80-200 hours or 200-600 hours.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I would be interested in how the developers think about development and vocational training.They think in 80-200 hours or 200-600 hours.
    I feel like you only care about the first month of the game instead of its entire lifetime. Sooner or later anyone who has the time to level up several characters will outfarm you and will be able to sustain themselves off of their alts alone.

And the exact same people will outfarm you within the first month as well, even if the profession leveling process is 600h instead of 200.

This is why others can't see the issue you're trying to bring up.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    I feel like you only care about the first month of the game instead of its entire lifetime. Sooner or later anyone who has the time to level up several characters will outfarm you and will be able to sustain themselves off of their alts alone.

And the exact same people will outfarm you within the first month as well, even if the profession leveling process is 600h instead of 200.

This is why others can't see the issue you're trying to bring up.

1000 hours 5 characters in 1200 hours 2. 200 hours or 600 hours for 1 character.but if the development takes 200 hours, you are forced to do so.I'm not sure I'll get into +600 hours.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2023
    I guess I don't understand why anyone thinks all Woodcutters will have harvested the exact same types of Wood. An individual Woodcutter might specialize in types of Wood other player characters (including alts) have not.

Also... I would probably be leaving Wood with my Guild. I would be bringing Wood to my Node to help progress it to a Village/Town/City/Metro. Or to construct specific Services. Same for Castle defenses.

Who says that each person with a Woodcutter alt will be as dedicated to Woodcutting as your 1 character?
    Also, probably I would be not be trading Wood with some random stranger. Even if I did not have a Woodcutter alt, I would probably barter with a Woodcutter I already know in my Community.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    1000 hours 5 characters in 1200 hours 2. 200 hours or 600 hours for 1 character.but if the development takes 200 hours, you are forced to do so.I'm not sure I'll get into +600 hours.
    Again, those hours only matter if you look at a short period of time rather than, potentially, years of the game's life.

And again again, even if it's 600h to max out - your pace could be slower than a hardcore player's pace, so you will still lose no matter what.

The whole point of the argument is that people who play more will always have more, no matter if there's only one character or several.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why?

Why?

Yes, people that play a game more will have advantages in that game over people that play that game less.

I don't see the issue.

OK, let's assume these numbers.

He put 125 hours each in to 8 different professions, making up his 1000 hours.

Let's then assume that it takes 125 or so hours to get to the profesion cap.

What that means is that this player has invested 1000 hours, but is yet to recoup anything at all from that effort. They are just now at the point of starting to recoup it. They can finally start to make a profit.

You, on the other hand, have put in 1000 hours on on character. You got to the cap in 125, and then spent the remaining 875 hours making a profit.

Now, it could be said that the player with 8 professions is in better position than you to make a proi going forward, but that is only because that player invested more time in to getting themself in to a position where they could make more profit, while you want for faster profit with less time invested.
  • Options
    Why?

Why?

when the new world was published, I put 200 hours into it in the first month.you will say whether it is too much or too little?(in addition to work).I can see the advantages of 2-8 characters.but maybe someone just wants to push it by 1 character.but if I am a woodcutter and the other 1000 people also have woodcutter characters. who will trade with me?

ok fair enough. how does your suggestion of boosting your production because you only have 1 character solves this problem? there are still 500 more woodcutters, and they might also receive the boost.

if you are worried about people not wanting your wood (wink wink) then maybe the solution is to make people need more wood than wood can be acquired...
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Why?

Why?

Yes, people that play a game more will have advantages in that game over people that play that game less.

I don't see the issue.

OK, let's assume these numbers.

He put 125 hours each in to 8 different professions, making up his 1000 hours.

Let's then assume that it takes 125 or so hours to get to the profesion cap.

What that means is that this player has invested 1000 hours, but is yet to recoup anything at all from that effort. They are just now at the point of starting to recoup it. They can finally start to make a profit.

You, on the other hand, have put in 1000 hours on on character. You got to the cap in 125, and then spent the remaining 875 hours making a profit.

Now, it could be said that the player with 8 professions is in better position than you to make a proi going forward, but that is only because that player invested more time in to getting themself in to a position where they could make more profit, while you want for faster profit with less time invested.

the problem is the one who will have 8 characters.it will completely remove it from the game and development will spiral.buys 1 plot.then you won't even see it.it also has such a side.they will bring in 1 event, you will have to do it with 8 characters because it is worth it.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    the problem is the one who will have 8 characters.it will completely remove it from the game and development will spiral.buys 1 plot.then you won't even see it.it also has such a side.they will bring in 1 event, you will have to do it with 8 characters because it is worth it.
    First, we have no reason at all to assume one player would be able to do that many professions on one freehold plot.

Second, if it is indeed possible to undertake 8 professions on one freehold, if someone spents the time to level up 8 professions and gets a freehold, then they deserve to be able to do that. In an MMORPG, time invested should see a reward. Additionally, they will still need to go out and either gather materials or purchase materials though, as there is no way at all they can generate the materials on that freehold plot.

As to events, if Intrepid do bring in events (which many of us hope they do not, due to how much they ruined Archeage), if a player with 8 characters wants to do that event 8 times, what difference does that make to you?

It's their time, not yours.

If someone else decides they want to spend their time in game doing this, you don't get to say it isn't fair because that isn't how you decided to spend your time. You make your own decisions on how to spend your time, and you get the benefits from that decision. Others decide how they want to spend their time, and they get the benefits from their decision.

Stop concerning yourself that other people may opt to spend their time in a way that rewards them greater in the long run.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    First, we have no reason at all to assume one player would be able to do that many professions on one freehold plot.

Second, if it is indeed possible to undertake 8 professions on one freehold, if someone spents the time to level up 8 professions and gets a freehold, then they deserve to be able to do that. In an MMORPG, time invested should see a reward. Additionally, they will still need to go out and either gather materials or purchase materials though, as there is no way at all they can generate the materials on that freehold plot.

As to events, if Intrepid do bring in events (which many of us hope they do not, due to how much they ruined Archeage), if a player with 8 characters wants to do that event 8 times, what difference does that make to you?

It's their time, not yours.

If someone else decides they want to spend their time in game doing this, you don't get to say it isn't fair because that isn't how you decided to spend your time. You make your own decisions on how to spend your time, and you get the benefits from that decision. Others decide how they want to spend their time, and they get the benefits from their decision.

Stop concerning yourself that other people may opt to spend their time in a way that rewards them greater in the long run.

the problem is that we only see small details of the game.the problem is that alpha 2 doesn't last anywhere.none of us knows anything about because not even the developer knows.
  • Options
    the problem is that we only see small details of the game.the problem is that alpha 2 doesn't last anywhere.none of us knows anything about because not even the developer knows.
    Yeah, but the things you are complaining about are not things we need to know.

The basic idea of "put more time in, get more rewards out" works the same regardless of how long anything takes.

The only thing that matters in order for the above to be the case is that the developers put the same requirements in front of every player. if you and I both start a character that we want to be a tailor, then we should both require to put the same amount of effort in to it.

As long as that is in place, everything is fine.

We have no reason at all to assume that won't be in place.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    It may take some time to determine but I'd bet that AoC will monitor guild activity to ensure both large and small have meaningful options and gameplay with an eye towards not letting guilds run rampant over the other players on the server. I only speculate this to be since Steven will be babysitting this game for quite awhile to ensure its overall success, as opposed to other developers that just let a game devolve because it's too hard to adjust out problems.
  • Options
    A larger guild with 300 people will have 20-50 miners and 1-2 processors and will receive the metal for free. I, who am in a smaller guild and buy the metal to process it, will I compete?I'm 20-50 times behind.The small guild gets a bonus.It's not hard to get around.I would put a weekly or monthly limit on how much you could improve in a profession.Avoid some problems with this.who would cut the tree for 8 hours a day just to grow.Exploiting markets when someone will produce 100 axes just to quickly improve their skills.and 1 smaller character should also have a chance to bring in the backlog.

I'm not sure what you are expecting. Do you expect there to be an even playing field for 10 people vs 100? This isn't a hand holding game where everyone will get a trophy, you have WoW and every other MMO for that. Of course more people will have an advantage and that can never truly be fixed. But read the wiki and see how they are trying to mitigate some of these issues.