Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lessons from Baldur's Gate 3

12346»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Percimes wrote: »
    But ultimately yes, those who are better organized will have a stronger say in this system.
    Yeah, this part is the point.

If Intrepid want to have a system in the game that influences world events, cool - just add one in that isn't messing with players just wanting to harvest.

Then you add in that this same notion is being applied to so much of the game (far more than other games where it is basically just limited to raid content), and really, I don't see how people can't see this as an issue.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2023
    Noaani wrote: »
    You do realize that I hope I am wrong, right?

Step 1: say as much ridiculous bullshit you want, make shit up out of thin air and call it facts, lie, be disingenuous all you want, waste people's time with completely ridiculous statements and absurd assumptions

Step 2: Cover your ass with the "but I hope I'm wrong" or the "it's just my opinion" card so you don't get called out when time shows you were obviously wrong.

You can tell Noaani has been doing this for a long time in other communities lol dude is a pro
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    You do realize that I hope I am wrong, right?

Step 1: say as much ridiculous bullshit you want, make shit up out of thin air and call it facts, lie, be disingenuous all you want, waste people's time with completely ridiculous statements and absurd assumptions

Step 2: Cover your ass with the "but I hope I'm wrong" or the "it's just my opinion" card so you don't get called out when time shows you were obviously wrong.

You can tell Noaani has been doing this for a long time in other communities lol dude is a pro

Dude, the post id tag on that above quote is from the post you were originally going to reply to but then didn't - rather than being the id of the post you actually replied to.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dude, the post id tag on that above quote is from the post you were originally going to reply to but then didn't - rather than being the id of the post you actually replied to.

ok... thanks, fixed
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

ok... thanks, fixed

Cool - now I'll reply to that post...

So, obviously I don't want the things I see right now to actually happen - I wouldn't be bringing them up as actual potential issues if I wanted them to happen. People don't bring things they see as issues up in the expectation/hope that they will remain. What would be stupid/foolish on my part is to bring to light things that others may consider issues, but that I would actually like to see make it to the final game.

That isn't being "pro". That isn't covering anything up. The very act of pointing out an issue in a game (or anything in development) would signify that you don't actually want to see that thing in the final product.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    literally cant progress in a mmorpg without others past some point, that means others have full control over your progression...unless its one of those solo mmorpg. dont you need a raid to do a raid? what if no one wants to take you? you cant progress and you cant buy those items since the only way to get them is by doing the raid.

imagine if everybody in your guild from eq refused to do a raid you want to do or need? how are you going to do the raid? you would have to look for people outside your guild. what if no one wants to party you because they dont like you? how are you going to do content and progress?

not sure if you can buy raid drops at the market place but if you cant (because in some games you cant) how are you going to get the item?

we go back to the same thing. in ashes, you might not be able to do something but you can do something else and buy whatever you want. not every guild will be able to do everything at the same time. also, it might be possible to make really good money with t1 and t2 stuff and you might not even need to do t4 or t5, and that could actually be less money per hour, kind of like it is in nw. I guess we will just have to wait until a2 or release.
    I'm not sure why you are so fixated on raiding as a comparison.

If my whole guild decides they aren't raiding any more, then we are no longer a raid guild.

The key thing is, we would then have other parts of the game we can play with no one stopping us - this is the part Ashes doesn't have, and is the part that I have an issue with.
    also, this is the thing I was talking about

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_policies

so probably by killing a boss or completing story arcs on an enemy node zoi you are helping them.

You won't be killing a world boss by yourself. However, doing any content within the zone of influence of a given node will benefit that node.

As a system though, node policies are just one more of those cases where a few players are able to control many.

Are you starting to see a pattern with how the game is being designed? Everything is designed around giving a few people control over the many. While this is fine (good) for some situations, Ashes has it for far too much already, and we haven't even got details of many systems where that will no doubt be added to.

raiding was just an example. so if you really need to kill a boss because of its gear, or do a dungeon and your guild refuses, then you are ok with that? you cant see how that stops your progression and you can never acquire that gear you want and you would have to find another guild? really noaani really...

node policies. the major selects them but citizens need to vote for them. i guess 50% + 1 vote wins, but thats not giving a few the control over many...and everybody will benefit by the policy anyways
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    raiding was just an example. so if you really need to kill a boss because of its gear, or do a dungeon and your guild refuses, then you are ok with that? you cant see how that stops your progression and you can never acquire that gear you want and you would have to find another guild? really noaani really...
    The reason the whole raid thing just doesn't work is because there is still other activities to do.

What I would not be fine with is if a person (or a few people) with the ability to make such a decision decided I wasn't able to raid, run group content, harvest, craft or quest - or at least made it exponentially harder to do any of these.

If you alter your discussion to include all of these, then we can continue. As long as you are only including one, then it simply isn't an appropriate parallel.

And for the record, if someone were to make a decision such as the above, I would have an issue with it.
  • Options
    The reason the whole raid thing just doesn't work is because there is still other activities to do.

What I would not be fine with is if a person (or a few people) with the ability to make such a decision decided I wasn't able to raid, run group content, harvest, craft or quest - or at least made it exponentially harder to do any of these.

If you alter your discussion to include all of these, then we can continue. As long as you are only including one, then it simply isn't an appropriate parallel.

And for the record, if someone were to make a decision such as the above, I would have an issue with it.

you are sidestepping the point. but ok ill play along.
    lets say your guild says they arent in the mood to do any of those things you mentioned, they just want to log in and talk to other people in town (which ive seen in ro btw). are you going to accept now that you cant progress without them? assuming you got everything you could have got by soloing.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

you are sidestepping the point. but ok ill play along.
    lets say your guild says they arent in the mood to do any of those things you mentioned, they just want to log in and talk to other people in town (which ive seen in ro btw). are you going to accept now that you cant progress without them? assuming you got everything you could have got by soloing.

I'm sidestepping the point because you are talking about scenarios that aren't linked at all.

I may as well be taking about what I think about a sporting controversy, and you come in and ask what I think of public transport. That is how disconnected your question is.

There is simply no connection at all, analogous or otherwise, between a situation where a player feels trapped in their guild and unable to leave, and where people in a guild decide they don't want to run some content or what ever.

I've explained to you why this analogy simply doesn't work. You are talking about progression, I am talking about having basic access to content - there is no parallel between these two things that I can think of, and you have so far not made one.

As such, rather than answering a pointless question, I'm going to continue to explain why it is pointless until you can provide me with that point.
  • Options
    everybody has basic access to content. maybe after a while some guilds will prevent you from doing some boss or farming certain area, but you can still farm another area.

my point is that you still need people to progress, even in the other games you've played. just using your own logic here.
  • Options
    everybody has basic access to content. maybe after a while some guilds will prevent you from doing some boss or farming certain area, but you can still farm another area.

my point is that you still need people to progress, even in the other games you've played. just using your own logic here.

Yeah, but I'm not arguing that someone that leaves their guild should still be able to progress, I'm arguing that they should be able to pla.

The problem with just "farming another area" is that all of the games content will be under some players thumb. That is how the game is being designed.

That means the game absolutely will act as a feudalism simulator.

Again, you may nit have an issue with that, but I do.