Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character body stances

Are you in favour of more realistic combat stances or more fantasy influenced? And I dont mean anime fantasy, tiny schoolgirls swinging greatswords around.

Personally I do not like the current 2handed warrior stance.
Too hunched, makes the character look short.

I would prefer more proud, defiant stances, even though they might not be historically accurate.
Give your feedback to the devs.

Comments

• Options
    As much as I would like a more realistic flavour for combat, I'm afraid it isn't a liked thing by players. Melee combat depends a lot on footwork, weight transfer and body mechanic, which make it a rather static business with launches and retreats in and out of measure. For Honor captured it well, but I believe it was one of the aspects that wasn't well implemented and liked in Throne and Liberty's beta test* and in one of the old presentations of melee combat pre-alpha 1 for Ashes.

Without realistic attack animations, realistic stances are not as important. So I'm fine with the rule of cool, as long as it's not in the ridiculous territory.

*Range classes in that beta could move out of reach of melee too easily. People don't realize it's quicker to swing a 5-7 lbs two-handed sword (or any lighter weapons) than it is to move your whole body out of its range. You can't easily walk or run away unpunished, and realistically all it takes is one good hit to incapacitate someone. Realism vs game.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Could not care less about it :)
  • Options
    As long as it looks good, I'm happy either way.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm a fan of Heroic Movement in High Fantasy settings.
    I would also like to see Villainous Movement.
    Same for stances. Both Heroic and Villainous stances.
    For Classes, Professions, Social Orgs, Religions and Races.
  • Options
    Am fine with a variety of different stance for combat; Different weapons demand different bodily equilibrium, and maybe casting with involve a small amount of 'dancing'.

Was eye-balling Steven's walk, in the latest demo: His left hand seemed to rest on an invisible sword hilt, while his right hand swung free.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Am fine with a variety of different stance for combat; Different weapons demand different bodily equilibrium, and maybe casting with involve a small amount of 'dancing'.

Was eye-balling Steven's walk, in the latest demo: His left hand seemed to rest on an invisible sword hilt, while his right hand swung free.

I saw the hand too. It seemed "mayorly".