Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

minimizing players racing to max level - is it possible? I have a concept idea perhaps.

novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Server starts and level 1-30 is unlocked for all players.

In order to unlock level cap 31-40, you need X amount of Nodes 3 (let's pretend 20) in the server to exists. A World event occurs which unlocks players to go to level 40 cap.

In order to unlock level cap 41-50, you need Y amount of Node 4 (let's pretend 10), another world event occurs and players can now level up to 50.

In order to unlock level cap 51-55 or 51-59, you need Z amount of Node 5 (let's pretend 5 is needed on the server). Another story event happens.

Then to unlock level 56-60 or 60, you need 1 node to hit level 6.

So people can rush to "end game" but will be continuously hit with a wall when server starts. So instead of having 1-5%, this may allow 25%-50% of the population to catch up before there are sufficient nodes on the server for them to move to the next cap.

Eventually - the final stretch level 56-60 or 60 should be approx 20-40% of the server population or even more hitting it together.

Some benefits:

* No lifing and playing 20-24-30-36-48 hours non stop isnt healthy. This should deter them from going all out, knowing it is pointless and enjoy the journey.
* Prevent early monopolies and pvp establishments off the bat from gate keeping others off the bat.
* Thus - there is more competition and pvp/friction to happen when most are in equal standing and not just a handful of players zooming on Meth and Ashes non-stop.
* This is a one time event that only happens when a server starts it life cycle.
* Showing appreciation and admiring the work that the devs and writers put into this game, instead of players zooming by. These nodes wont grow as fast vs the players who likes to race to end game. Enjoy the story, the world, the nooks and crannies, dungeons in each level range before we begin end game loop. Properly gear up and get those dungeon sets at lvl 20/30/40/50/55.

Cons:

honestly - I just cant think of any outside of selfishness and ego. The real con, allowing a power gamer / guild rush to end game, potentially sharing an account with a sibling taking turn to non stop grind, lock down an area for the guild. Or a singular guild dedicated no lifers ruining a server potentially because they were able to no life or find a way to play non-stop - ie Account sharing with guildies to get X amount of characters end game to secure dominance.

I'd rather we fight it out, in-game friction - multiple races, that in the end - level 60 it isnt just a handful of players there for a week or two, but just for a couple of hours, up to 3-4 days before the rest of the herd arrives. That several thousands will be 60 within hours of each others - now posturing for dominance.
{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.

Comments

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2023
    Not a fan of false level governance mechanisms. If folks want to race let them race. Those expecting the typical mmo endgame will attrition out, and those that knew what to expect will lay the foundation of the first real nodes to progress.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    why do people want to stop others from leveling fast so much? and wh do they say just enjoy the game...everybody enjoys the game in different ways. i enjoy it grinding mobs for 15 hours straight. thats fun and relaxing for me. you go explore and do quests and chop trees.

how about we set a limit on how many trees you can cut a day, or items you can craft, or quests you can finish, or gold you can get? this prevents a few players from taking over if they decide to not focus on leveling and just make money early on. why we dont talk about that?

also, this is how the game revelations online worked, but each level tier had "an endgame" so while no one could rush to max and had to wait until the next tier of levels activated after a global event where everyone contributed, players had an endgame loop at each level tier, however, the game was designed that way. i doubt ashes is doing that.

and we all already have walls anyways, cant really level too much until nodes grow. doesnt matter if i play 15 hours a day but im getting 1 exp per hour waiting for nodes to level up. no lifing will work for alts or new players coming in. any characters leveling after there are metropolises in the game
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am not against.
    However the no lifers would complain, snd AoC is aimed at competitive gamers.
  • Options
    As someone with a full-time job, volunteering, other hobbies, and general adulting ... this idea is still a hard 'no' for me.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Node Stages will already be doing some level gating.
    We will test how that feels during Alpha 2.
  • Options
    The link to this video was posted recently, where we can see Steven's opinion that he doesn't want such solutions.
  • Options
    This is an MMO. Max level is only the start of the journey.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited September 2023
    novercalis wrote: »
    Server starts and level 1-30 is unlocked for all players.

In order to unlock level cap 31-40, you need X amount of Nodes 3 (let's pretend 20) in the server to exists. A World event occurs which unlocks players to go to level 40 cap.

In order to unlock level cap 41-50, you need Y amount of Node 4 (let's pretend 10), another world event occurs and players can now level up to 50.

In order to unlock level cap 51-55 or 51-59, you need Z amount of Node 5 (let's pretend 5 is needed on the server). Another story event happens.

Then to unlock level 56-60 or 60, you need 1 node to hit level 6.

So people can rush to "end game" but will be continuously hit with a wall when server starts. So instead of having 1-5%, this may allow 25%-50% of the population to catch up before there are sufficient nodes on the server for them to move to the next cap.

Eventually - the final stretch level 56-60 or 60 should be approx 20-40% of the server population or even more hitting it together.

Some benefits:

* No lifing and playing 20-24-30-36-48 hours non stop isnt healthy. This should deter them from going all out, knowing it is pointless and enjoy the journey.
    * Prevent early monopolies and pvp establishments off the bat from gate keeping others off the bat.
    * Thus - there is more competition and pvp/friction to happen when most are in equal standing and not just a handful of players zooming on Meth and Ashes non-stop.
    * This is a one time event that only happens when a server starts it life cycle.
    * Showing appreciation and admiring the work that the devs and writers put into this game, instead of players zooming by. These nodes wont grow as fast vs the players who likes to race to end game. Enjoy the story, the world, the nooks and crannies, dungeons in each level range before we begin end game loop. Properly gear up and get those dungeon sets at lvl 20/30/40/50/55.

Cons:

honestly - I just cant think of any outside of selfishness and ego. The real con, allowing a power gamer / guild rush to end game, potentially sharing an account with a sibling taking turn to non stop grind, lock down an area for the guild. Or a singular guild dedicated no lifers ruining a server potentially because they were able to no life or find a way to play non-stop - ie Account sharing with guildies to get X amount of characters end game to secure dominance.

I'd rather we fight it out, in-game friction - multiple races, that in the end - level 60 it isnt just a handful of players there for a week or two, but just for a couple of hours, up to 3-4 days before the rest of the herd arrives. That several thousands will be 60 within hours of each others - now posturing for dominance.

I would like something a bit similar. But not blocking the level progression. Just make interesting quests that give access to areas where you can level up faster.

For example at level 15 - 25 - 30 - 45 you can unlock new areas where XP is better. If you want to continue to xp on low level areas, you can but it will be much longer.

It's gentely forcing players to explore the world and not grinding at the same place. It also allows you to immerse yourself in the game's scenario, learn about classes, religions, nodes etc. A soft half quest/half tutorial progression.

But real interesting quests, not FexEx boring quests.
  • Options
    No limits.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Absolutely No. Hate these mechanics, I want to play 16h a day at launch and have progress, a developer should focus on making good gameplay loops and not capping player's progression
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited September 2023

funny-laughing.gif
    If Intrepid is really going to take an interest in my health, then I'd much rather they buy me a mini-gym for my home (although it probably wouldn't fit, so they may need to buy me a bigger home too in which to fit it).

Anyone else wants a bigger house and a mini-gym, DM Vaknar! :p:D

Alternatively, they could just focus on making a game?

*edit: Please don't DM Vaknar!!!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    why do people want to stop others from leveling fast so much? and wh do they say just enjoy the game...everybody enjoys the game in different ways. i enjoy it grinding mobs for 15 hours straight. thats fun and relaxing for me. you go explore and do quests and chop trees.

how about we set a limit on how many trees you can cut a day, or items you can craft, or quests you can finish, or gold you can get? this prevents a few players from taking over if they decide to not focus on leveling and just make money early on. why we dont talk about that?

also, this is how the game revelations online worked, but each level tier had "an endgame" so while no one could rush to max and had to wait until the next tier of levels activated after a global event where everyone contributed, players had an endgame loop at each level tier, however, the game was designed that way. i doubt ashes is doing that.

and we all already have walls anyways, cant really level too much until nodes grow. doesnt matter if i play 15 hours a day but im getting 1 exp per hour waiting for nodes to level up. no lifing will work for alts or new players coming in. any characters leveling after there are metropolises in the game

About crafting cooldown I saw it in many games. Its a very bad mechanics to maintain rarety. It works but it’s terribly annoying.
  • Options
    that was my point. why limit levels and not limit other aspects of the game?
  • Options
    I would rather you play your way and I will play my way without additional constraints on what level I would like to achieve or how much time I am willing to provide.
  • Options
    HillefuegoHillefuego Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If players want to no life and race to max lvl, why shouldn't they be able to? Because of their health? Gamers gonna game, I doubt it will do anything. They'll still play 16h a day to min-max out their gear at 30 if is capped so they can start pumping again in the next race. If it takes to much time in between, people will get annoyed really fast.

This is a really bad idea in general imo.

Actually, now we're on this topic: I'd actually prefer if there was no xp penalty killing higher level monsters. Sure you do less damage and miss more often etc, but if people find crafty ways of killing them anyway, devs should let them (unless its a bug exploit).
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hillefuego wrote: »
    Actually, now we're on this topic: I'd actually prefer if there was no xp penalty killing higher level monsters. Sure you do less damage and miss more often etc, but if people find crafty ways of killing them anyway, devs should let them (unless its a bug exploit).

Usually this just leads to mass powerleveling. So a level 60 will party with a level 1 and mow down everything to level up their friend/client extremely fast. Cheapens the work/meaning of leveling.
  • Options
    No.

Yours truly (and likely many others who keep up-to-date with the forums!) plans on arranging time off and to no-life the game, for launch and probably a few weeks, after; I don't feel there's any benefit to limiting levelling.

The only thing this would cause me to do is to roll a toon on other servers and work on THAT levelling, until the cooldown/conditions on the first toon wear down/wear off. This wouldn't be beneficial to the Nodes I join, however, because yours truly is typically a single-server player; I'd be leaving/abandoning any side-servers for whichever one looks best, at the end of the levelling process - and it takes time for abandoned properties to become available, again.

• Options
    id like to actually get to max level before my great grandkids are born so please no
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options
    @NiKr Next thread on how to limit peoples experience on the game xD
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    NiKr Next thread on how to limit peoples experience on the game xD
    This one was made before the login one :)
  • Options
    Some benefits:

1. No lifing and playing 20-24-30-36-48 hours non stop isnt healthy. This should deter them from going all out, knowing it is pointless and enjoy the journey.
    2. Prevent early monopolies and pvp establishments off the bat from gate keeping others off the bat.
    3. Thus - there is more competition and pvp/friction to happen when most are in equal standing and not just a handful of players zooming on Meth and Ashes non-stop.
    4. This is a one time event that only happens when a server starts it life cycle.
    5. Showing appreciation and admiring the work that the devs and writers put into this game, instead of players zooming by. These nodes wont grow as fast vs the players who likes to race to end game. Enjoy the story, the world, the nooks and crannies, dungeons in each level range before we begin end game loop. Properly gear up and get those dungeon sets at lvl 20/30/40/50/55.

1. Your suggestion will not change this.
    2. Your suggestion will not change this.
    3. Actually that would make it less equal. Instead of those who are ahead moving on - they will be constantly stuck competing with those who are behind, and there would be even more players clumped up.
    5. Your suggestion will not change this, except for gear part. But that is much better achieved by simply making it worth the time investment to progress the gear, compared to time saved leveling by being faster and more competitive. And seems like AoC leveling will be slow enough for that to some extent.
  • Options
    Rather than asking "Is it possible?" - which it 100% is because everything is programmable in a game - I'd be more interested in finding out: Is it necessary? And tbh so far I haven't had much reason to think it is.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Regarding the 'gear skip' part, was this even an actual problem in early EverQuest/EQ2?

I've been given the impression it wasn't a real problem in Lineage 2.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Azherae wrote: »
    Regarding the 'gear skip' part, was this even an actual problem in early EverQuest/EQ2?

I've been given the impression it wasn't a real problem in Lineage 2.

Assuming I'm understanding the term, it wasn't an issue with EQ at all to my knowledge, and in EQ2 it was only an issue several years after release.

The developers of EQ2 had the general notion that leveling should take about the same amount of time even if the level cap is higher. This meant that when the games level cap was 100, leveling was twice as fast for any given level range as it was when the cap was level 50.

The way the developers kind of put it though, was that this was only an issue if players were looking for issues. If they were new to the game and the worst thing they had to say about it was that they didn't need to always be on the lookout for gear upgrades while leveling, they considered that an overwhelming success.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2023
    Nodes themself will level gate people since as they level up mobs get stronger around there might not be any lvl 40+ mobs for example until there a lvl 4 or 5 node in the world to make them spawn in the first place which would slot people progression down if they speed to far ahead but who knows atm
  • Options
    Yeah, this is one of those HOT take posts that have already been discussed. Whether no lifers or casual, agree or disagree, this won't be implemented. Like said, they've discussed things around this topic a few times and it's just not going to happen. And for my vote personally, I'm glad it doesn't, players shouldn't be limited because others feel they won't be able to keep pace.
  • Options
    Why penalize the “Speed Run” folks.

There already exists pros and cons associated with faster level progression. Will you have the resources/gear built up at the higher levels to be competitive?

Also getting something first doesn’t guarantee you’ll keep it. Hint is in the title of the game - “Ashes”.

Now will guilds employ a strategy of having a few members run fast to stake their claim first with the bulk of their members going at a more sustainable pace? Sure. But that too will be temporary. Will other non-guild players benefit? Sure, since the game seems more centered around node citizenship than just guilds. And we are likely to have different guild strategies than just dominating a single node? Get the feeling a more rounded, diverse guild coming from multiple strategic nodes will be more effective than the single node guild.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They will always race. The only way that I have ever seen the process slowed down in an effective way is by making leveling take longer and having hell levels but still have content available throughout every step so you don't really notice. That was EverQuest.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 2023
    Fantmx wrote: »
    They will always race. The only way that I have ever seen the process slowed down in an effective way is by making leveling take longer and having hell levels but still have content available throughout every step so you don't really notice. That was EverQuest.

I don't see any point in lowing them done, it doesn't matter how hard they make those levels they will get past them. That method just makes it so everyone else suffers to effect the 5%. And allows that time of raw hour grinding to be a bigger gap allowing them to take advantage of end game content far before anyone else.

The only thing you can do is go full mobile and make it so you can only get 2 levels a day lol.
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »

There will kinda be hell levels in AoC tbh, if you out level node progression there not gonna be many thing to farm for XP in theory, since nodes level up the world as they progress there a good chance Node lvcl 0-1 will only have lvl 10 mobs, node lvl 2 = lvl 20 mobs, node 3= level 30 mobs for example and node levels slow down quite a but after level 3

0. Wilderness
    1. Expedition - Few hours
    2. Encampment - Many hours
    3. Village - Few days
    4. Town -Many days
    5. City -Few weeks
    6. Metropolis -Many weeks

So if people get to far ahead of world progress via nodes they be hitting a wall that slows down there progression.

It not like the MMO that many of you guys are use to this zone = lvl 1-5 this one 5-10 next one to 10-15 and so on, as nodes level up the world under the influence of the node progresses and levels up too atleast thats how it sounds like it gonna be from what the devs have said.