Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[THE OTHERS] Divine node / Under realm nodes.

Could you make a Divine node dedicated to one of the 3 "Others" as opposed to one of the "Seven"? Also could this Node be underground and would there be underground freeholds?

Comments

• Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited November 2023
    Better on the surface, in lava biome.
    Underground was supposed to be where the tulnar found safety.
    But what would such a node offer to players?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Raven016 wrote: »

A mega crypt beneath the underrealm. Even deeper tunnels/areas.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    HavocMason wrote: »
    Could you make a Divine node dedicated to one of the 3 "Others" as opposed to one of the "Seven"? Also could this Node be underground and would there be underground freeholds?

There are under realm nodes and divine can definitely be down there. The tulnar do worship the pantheon so in theory it may very well be an option, however I dont know if you can choose one of the "others" as a full node decision.
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    From all I have read on the Wiki and seen in the livestreams there won't be evil nodes like that.

Why? Probably because that could break the game loop by establishing a lore supported antagonistic faction for everyone else to go after establishing predefined factions for player which Intrepid seems to specifically against. Allowing would mean a major shift in story arcs, biome design and all economic systems beyond the scope what is realistic to expect at least in the base game. I could see this become kind of a plot point for an expansion or event, where players can (or maybe must) align themselves with good or evil, but for general gameplay it doesn't seem possible IMO.

With that being said: I also read that on certain occasions player will have the opportunity to kind of side with the Others / Ancient or at least not support the Seven. How that plays out exactly, I don't know.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    HavocMasonHavocMason Member
    edited November 2023
    Kilion wrote: »
    From all I have read on the Wiki and seen in the livestreams there won't be evil nodes like that.

Why? Probably because that could break the game loop by establishing a lore supported antagonistic faction for everyone else to go after establishing predefined factions for player which Intrepid seems to specifically against. Allowing would mean a major shift in story arcs, biome design and all economic systems beyond the scope what is realistic to expect at least in the base game. I could see this become kind of a plot point for an expansion or event, where players can (or maybe must) align themselves with good or evil, but for general gameplay it doesn't seem possible IMO.

With that being said: I also read that on certain occasions player will have the opportunity to kind of side with the Others / Ancient or at least not support the Seven. How that plays out exactly, I don't know.

Who said anything about an evil node? Why are the Others evil? Because they wanted to give mortal beings ultimate power though the essence and so they were cast out for it? I think you are being biased equating Good and Evil with the Seven and Others. It's just as easy to see the Seven as oppressors and the Others as liberators, no?
  • Options
    Why are the Others evil?

Steven Sharif: "The beginning of the creation of the universe that exists within Ashes of Creation was a result of a group of god beings. There were ten of them and there was a celestial struggle in this universe that resulted in a fraction of those gods. And there exists within this story two components of good and evil.
    "

I think you are being biased equating Good and Evil with the Seven and Others. It's just as easy to see the Seven as oppressors and the Others as liberators, no?

Steven Sharif and Jeffrey Bard calling the Others evil - I guess me calling the Others "evil" in the context lead designers of this universe presented the lore to me has it's reasons.

I even agree with you that there is a point to be made that "good" and "evil" just as in reality are not as clearly defined in the world of Ashes as it is portrayed, but with what Steven has written, it seems clear to me that in the game we will get the Others + the Ancients as evil enemies and therefore the game mechanics will in all likelihood not allow for players to side with them.

If you still feel some way about that - maybe discuss this with Steven. And I am not being sarcastic here, I am serious. Make a post and discuss this point of lore, that's what this forum is for.

The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    Why are the Others evil?

Steven Sharif: "The beginning of the creation of the universe that exists within Ashes of Creation was a result of a group of god beings. There were ten of them and there was a celestial struggle in this universe that resulted in a fraction of those gods. And there exists within this story two components of good and evil.
    "

I think you are being biased equating Good and Evil with the Seven and Others. It's just as easy to see the Seven as oppressors and the Others as liberators, no?

Steven Sharif and Jeffrey Bard calling the Others evil - I guess me calling the Others "evil" in the context lead designers of this universe presented the lore to me has it's reasons.

I even agree with you that there is a point to be made that "good" and "evil" just as in reality are not as clearly defined in the world of Ashes as it is portrayed, but with what Steven has written, it seems clear to me that in the game we will get the Others + the Ancients as evil enemies and therefore the game mechanics will in all likelihood not allow for players to side with them.

If you still feel some way about that - maybe discuss this with Steven. And I am not being sarcastic here, I am serious. Make a post and discuss this point of lore, that's what this forum is for.

I suspect Steven may be intentionally warping our initial perspective. I don't believe the face value presentation of the universe morality. I suspect that we see it from the perspective of the Seven because we as the Divine races are in communion with them and still seek their influence/favor. Maybe the so-called pagan religions in the under realm have knowledge unknown to us at the start. I'm just spit-balling here. Thanks for the reply!
  • Options

That could be offered in a Tulnar metropolis maybe.
    If a node would be able to create temples for the Others, that node would probably become corrupted.
    Players living in those nodes would be permanently flagged and visible to bounty hunters on the entire map.
    It could be boring to be a citizen there, isolated and having 85 enemy nodes.
  • Options

If a node would be able to create temples for the Others, that node would probably become corrupted.
    Players living in those nodes would be permanently flagged and visible to bounty hunters on the entire map.

Speaking for myself alone, that actually sounds fun.

• Options

Speaking for myself alone, that actually sounds fun.

For the corrupted one would not be fun.
    You know that?
    "Only one citizenship may be declared per account, per server.[3][9][10][11]"
    Also corrupted players have disadvantages when fighting against green and purple players.

The only advantage such a node would bring is a place to hide when you are just temporarily corrupted. To store your stuff there. For now Steven is against this possibility.
  • Options
    BainSamrynBainSamryn Member
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    BainSamryn wrote: »
    I am unsure on how will nodes be handled along with freeholds but the current land area map is too small for game content and nodes/freeholds . I returned to a game that has it .and sad to say it will not work unless the land map is at least 4 fold larger than the projected map . You got to choose game content or nodes/freeholds ,doing both is a recipe for trouble ,

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freeholds

Good information under the baronies and auctions section

They allowed less free holds but made them bigger.
  • Options
    MorgalfMorgalf Member
    edited November 2023

Maybe where they landed! That would be cool. Signs of their previous presence and such.

I always liked the idea of being able to "turn to the dark side." Aka worship evil and become always corrupted with a single location of safety. Becoming an evil enemy to all could have 0 perks, so that its rare, but it would be cool to see now and then.
    c8ybb18afj2p.jpg
    "The gods do not fear death. They greet death as an old friend. When your time comes to return to the ashes, move forward knowing death is merely one of many paths to a new adventure."
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Raven016 Regarding your comment that corrupt players could use such a node to store items, corrupt players cannot store things in nodes: "Player to player trading, interacting with vendors or NPCs, and the ability to access storage is disabled for corrupted players."

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

• Options
    I am unsure on how will nodes be handled along with freeholds but the current land area map is too small for game content and nodes/freeholds . I returned to a game that has it .and sad to say it will not work unless the land map is at least 4 fold larger than the projected map . You got to choose game content or nodes/freeholds ,doing both is a recipe for trouble ,
    @BainSamryn
    I had the same conclusion but not because freeholds. Because traveling between nodes.
    In case of freeholds, they restrict the number of them and not every player will get one. And they can be placed in predetermined locations, where developers allow them.
    Going from a node to another takes little time. To not be an issue for caravans, they reduced their traveling speed.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    @Raven016 Regarding your comment that corrupt players could use such a node to store items, corrupt players cannot store things in nodes: "Player to player trading, interacting with vendors or NPCs, and the ability to access storage is disabled for corrupted players."

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

I know.
    The possibility was considered in the eventuality that temples dedicated to the Others would be allowed. The Others are those who teached the Ancients about the Essence, the Seven banished them and the Ancients corrupted it.
    Having temples dedicated to the Others would put the nodes on the same side with the Ancients, making them corrupted nodes.
  • Options
    @Raven016 would make for some really interesting POI dungeons with node tier progression. The biome could offer a plethora of dark (and glowey) themed things. We currently dont know what kind of augments are available if biome plays a significant role specifically for divine nodes.
  • Options
    @Raven016 would make for some really interesting POI dungeons with node tier progression. The biome could offer a plethora of dark (and glowey) themed things. We currently dont know what kind of augments are available if biome plays a significant role specifically for divine nodes.

What to do in those corrupted node dungeons?
    Something will exist

There will not be temples to worship The Others, but there will be quest paths that will enable darker forms of worship.[4]

...but these players have as enemies other players, who typically stay green. Only when they start fighting against monsters will they start cleaning their corruption.
  • Options

What to do in those corrupted node dungeons?
    Something will exist

There will not be temples to worship The Others, but there will be quest paths that will enable darker forms of worship.[4]

...but these players have as enemies other players, who typically stay green. Only when they start fighting against monsters will they start cleaning their corruption.

The various forms of corruption within the game is interesting. Darn those harbingers.
  • Options
    BainSamrynBainSamryn Member
    edited November 2023
    Would it be possible to corrupt an existing player node like settlements, and have it over run with mosters

• Options
    Should be interesting to see the ley line streaming through various planes for story telling.

4 planes(currently) - celestial, ethereal, material, void
    Pantheon - 10 gods divided, 7 "good" 3 "bad"
    Essence manipulation

Ley line of essence traversing through all planes diminishing towards the void... wonder what's there...
  • Options
    Would it be possible to corrupt an existing player node like settlements, and have it over run with mosters

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corrupted_areas
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Monster_coins