Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Does anyone else wanna just be a nobody?

Comments

• Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    Dryadez wrote: »
    You don't know what my character was doing before the portal and you don't know my intentions after stepping through the portal. That's the beauty of this game, you can't call me a hero if my character is a pirate, jumping peaceful players in the ocean to steal their cargo. This game gives us options
    Doesn't really matter. Walking through the portal is considered to be a heroic act - by the game lore.
    The people who travel to Verra are considered to be heroes, rather than nobodies...
    Might be able to be a nobody if you are a Tulnar who stays in the Underrealm....

Oh no good sir. I am just a nobody who walked through the portal to be a simple contributor to a py'rai village.
    A hero, subjective. But a nameless guard to most.

Some came under the guise of being a self-less warrior ready to retake land in the name of their kin but see opportunity in these new untamed lands of old and become anything but heroes.Pirates, murderers and thieves. Power hungry warlords. The devs have made pretty clear the idea is to carve what and who you want to be. Maybe coming through the portals is a brave act to be sure but a heroic one? Depends on your intent.

One heroic act does not make a hero either way but if that's how you personally want to view yourself and others then have at it. I won't be greeted by everything i bump into as a hero or champion, unlike other games where your linear story leads you to become some sort of heroic champion.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2023
    Walking through a Portal to be a "simple" contributor to a Py'Rai Village is a heroic act.
    Nameless guard is unlikely. Expect people to have kept track of the names of those chose to brave Corruption and the other magical threats of Verra.
    If you just wanted to be a simple nobody... you would have stayed on Sanctus, where life is objectively more simple than life on Verra.

By the lore, you will be considered a hero just for stepping through the portal.
    If you want to view yourself as a nobody...
    But... that's kinda like viewing yourself as an atheist on a world where gods actively engage in world events.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    By the lore, you will be considered a hero just for stepping through the portal.

If we want to go all RP about this, sure, "considered" by others maybe, on a surface level, but that is quite different from what the motive might be. I could be walking through the portal with the intent to steal and become powerful for entirely selfish reasons, and just pay lip service to the whole hero thing. People can decide to be nobodies or villains as they see fit. Other people in that world don't define that, nor does game lore.

It's like that weird hero worship/mythology some countries have towards their veterans/soldiers. Going to war or just serving in the military doesn't automatically make anyone a hero in RL either, in and of itself. Most are just a regular bunch of people, doing regular people things with regular people motives. Some might do heroic things, and some will do horrible war crimes, and many will just exist and not accomplice much individually other than being a cog in the wheel.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    A hero is not the same thing as a saint. And... in this case, we're talking about "nobodies". People who travel through the Portal from Sanctus to Verra are not considered to be "nobodies" by the game lore.
    Again... you could also decide your character is an athiest where gods actively roam and influence the world.
  • Options
    Everyone is a hero just by walking through the portal.
    If you really wanted to be a nobody, you would have stayed on Sanctus.
    i7gc8lancoeg.png

These settlers walked through the portal too and they do not seem exactly heroes.
    https://youtu.be/db-S7QfjZWo?t=447
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Yeah, this is likely one of those dicussions where people have widely different interpretations of the words "nobody" and "hero", thus making it all pointless until a set of definitions can be agreed upon. And frankly I don't care enough ;)

As I see it, the hero thing is just the lie the leaders on Sanctus are trying to sell to people to get them to sign up and go through the portal.
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Walking through a Portal to be a "simple" contributor to a Py'Rai Village is a heroic act.
    Nameless guard is unlikely. Expect people to have kept track of the names of those chose to brave Corruption and the other magical threats of Verra.
    If you just wanted to be a simple nobody... you would have stayed on Sanctus, where life is objectively more simple than life on Verra.

If you want to view yourself as a nobody...
    But... that's kinda like viewing yourself as an atheist on a world where gods actively engage in world events.

I mean do we even know what's going on in Sanctus and why we are having this mass exodus to begin with? But I don't think theres any official lore saying anyone is a Hero for existing in Verra, if you wanna think were all Heroes have at it my friend. Your story is yours and your views are yours. This is a strange hill to fight on.

• Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Yeah, this is likely one of those dicussions where people have widely different interpretations of the words "nobody" and "hero", thus making it all pointless until a set of definitions can be agreed upon. And frankly I don't care enough ;)

As I see it, the hero thing is just the lie the leaders on Sanctus are trying to sell to people to get them to sign up and go through the portal.

That's the best part of games like this, where you don't just follow a guide start to finish and boom the game is done, enjoy your nice gear and mounts. Roleplay is entirely open to interpretation and leaves room for imagination. Even if my personal roleplay lacks alot of it because I quite frankly do and want to be and will be a nameless guard
  • Options
    That reminds me of the good old times when WoW started in 2004 and you were just a civilian who enlisted for your nation/race/tribe.
    To set out and find ally's or help to bolster your own people's standing in the world.
    You were not a "Champion" like today, you walked on foot until you could afford a meagre +60% walkingspeed mount and you were given the tasks of a mere adventurer.
    Cause you were one.
    Now you are already a Legend who (in the Lore) fought the mightest Dragons, the Lichking, the burning Legion and safed Azeroth 1000 times over. And it shows in how NPC's adress you.

Totally looking forward to going back to the roots and rise up whole nodes with actions that actually matter to shape the world around me, with the frenemies we make along the way.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited December 2023
    Just curious, is anyone else excited to just be a nobody in this game?

Oh, i CAN'T WAIT to be away from :

" Ohhh, Champion !! Now, "finally" You are here !! Now Azeroth is saved. And alternate Draenor, too !! And the Afterlife, too !! And the Dragon-kill-Mafurion-off-Islands, too !!

Thanks the Titans you came !! Are you going to wipe our butts for us, too ?? We're so helpless without You !
    "

( No kidding i can hear this in Magni's Voice )

It was okay around/until/after Cata in WoW -> but i noticed how later on, We - The Player - were written like we are this mysterious, nigh unstoppable Force - that will tip the Scales into our Favor every single Time no matter where we arrive at.

Enough.

ENOUGH of this, Please.

Let me be an Adventurer again. Like back in WoW Vanilla. Let me be Someone who is BARELY better than just be a Murderhobo without a Plan and without a Perspective. (lol)

I am not the chosen Hero to slay the Demonlord, Omnissiah or nigh omnipotent Eldritch Gods,

- i am just me.
    Just an Adventurer. Just a Member of a Race, Faction, etc.

This was taken from us almost completely for all the Time. I want it back. And i am excited about the Thought of Sir Steven giving it back to me - and to all of us.

Like you're not the champion, the savior, the godkinghero...

Where do i need to sign ?? lol

is anyone else just excited to be something as mundane as a guard... or a mercenary.... or a farmer.... etc like you don't even have to be someone who goes out and kills monsters to contribute to the success of whatever territory you commit to.

I know i am. Just a humble, little Person nearby the Node i prefer, while COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY there is some strange Skeletons and/or Zombies running around nearby me, who want to do my bidding ... ... x'D

Nothing to see here, Folks. 😁

No statues made in my honor, no main characters pulling me into their drama, just a nameless guard. Love it.

I think the "least" we can - or should - be able to do, is taking care of any corrupt Territories and Area's popping up here and there from time to time,

or else something - WILL - without fail, come close to the Gate You are guarding - and a single Guard won't be able to stop it. 😁 >:)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    You were not a "Champion" like today, you walked on foot until you could afford a meagre +60% walkingspeed mount and you were given the tasks of a mere adventurer.
    Cause you were one.
    In AoC we will not have flying mounts... but IS calls us glorious adventurers.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Just curious, is anyone else excited to just be a nobody in this game?

Oh, i CAN'T WAIT to be away from :

" Ohhh, Champion !! Now, "finally" You are here !! Now Azeroth is saved. And alternate Draenor, too !! And the Afterlife, too !! And the Dragon-kill-Mafurion-off-Islands, too !!

Thanks the Titans you came !! Are you going to wipe our butts for us, too ?? We're so helpless without You !
    "

( No kidding i can hear this in Magni's Voice )

It was okay around/until/after Cata in WoW -> but i noticed how later on, We - The Player - were written like we are this mysterious, nigh unstoppable Force - that will tip the Scales into our Favor every single Time no matter where we arrive at.

Enough.

ENOUGH of this, Please.

Let me be an Adventurer again. Like back in WoW Vanilla. Let me be Someone who is BARELY better than just be a Murderhobo without a Plan and without a Perspective. (lol)

I am not the chosen Hero to slay the Demonlord, Omnissiah or nigh omnipotent Eldritch Gods,

- i am just me.
    Just an Adventurer. Just a Member of a Race, Faction, etc.

This was taken from us almost completely for all the Time. I want it back. And i am excited about the Thought of Sir Steven giving it back to me - and to all of us.

Like you're not the champion, the savior, the godkinghero...

Where do i need to sign ?? lol

is anyone else just excited to be something as mundane as a guard... or a mercenary.... or a farmer.... etc like you don't even have to be someone who goes out and kills monsters to contribute to the success of whatever territory you commit to.

I know i am. Just a humble, little Person nearby the Node i prefer, while COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY there is some strange Skeletons and/or Zombies running around nearby me, who want to do my bidding ... ... x'D

Nothing to see here, Folks. 😁

No statues made in my honor, no main characters pulling me into their drama, just a nameless guard. Love it.

I think the "least" we can - or should - be able to do, is taking care of any corrupt Territories and Area's popping up here and there from time to time,

or else something - WILL - without fail, come close to the Gate You are guarding - and a single Guard won't be able to stop it. 😁 >:)

Lol the murderhobo part got me.

I'm so glad to see the hype from all my fellow not so special adventurers.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

Flying Mounts will be just rare. Like REALLY rare, if i memorize that correctly. Sir Steven just said that You would need to be for Example the Major of a Node or Someone else very important or unique or lucky or so, to have one. Or to be granted one.

If People would for Example be the Leader of a Religion as well - i could imagine these few People to have flying Mounts, too.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

Flying Mounts will be just rare. Like REALLY rare, if i memorize that correctly. Sir Steven just said that You would need to be for Example the Major of a Node or Someone else very important or unique or lucky or so, to have one. Or to be granted one.

If People would for Example be the Leader of a Religion as well - i could imagine these few People to have flying Mounts, too.

Steven creates a society. Some will be rich. The rest will work for them, pay rent and taxes, defend their castles, their freeholds... And we will even have politicians.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited December 2023
    One who role-plays a beggar can truly be nobody
  • Options
    Everyone is a hero just by walking through the portal.
    If you really wanted to be a nobody, you would have stayed on Sanctus.

Me personally, I would rather be a protector than a hero. I am not looking for renown or notoriety, but would still like to make a positive impact on the world of Vera and Sanctus. Making friends and being connected with the world is the reward to me.
  • Options
    Just being a good ol' adventurer sounds good to me.
  • Options
    You don't know what my character was doing before the portal and you don't know my intentions after stepping through the portal. That's the beauty of this game, you can't call me a hero if my character is a pirate, jumping peaceful players in the ocean to steal their cargo. This game gives us options
    Doesn't really matter. Walking through the portal is considered to be a heroic act - by the game lore.
    The people who travel to Verra are considered to be heroes, rather than nobodies...
    Might be able to be a nobody if you are a Tulnar who stays in the Underrealm....

You are only a hero if your act of entering the portal is known by the people of Sanctus. If no one knows where you went, and sneak through the portal, by definition you are not a hero. You would be a porter, that's it. The characters of Vera may think you're a hero for arriving in Vera. I agree, you could be a nobody if you're a native of Vera(tulnar). If you do something noble or courageous DO NOT let any one know that you did that thing and you can be a nobody.

Perhaps what players want is to be allowed to adventure where they want, when they want, and not have a quest giver telling you this is the only way you can adventure or have a purpose in Vera.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    you are the main character of your own story ;3

What if it is a Story with boney friends ? Or Zombie Friends ? Who don't talk to much and manage to work as a Team where most MOBA Players fail embarrassingly in comparison ? lol

darthaden wrote: »
    You people can save yourselves from whatever threat Vera has, I'll be too busy trying to become rich being the go to guy for whatever crafting or processing skill I decide to go with.....I'll be happy to sell you the goods to save yourself though.

I like me some spicey Flavor, imagine your Voice being kinda sadistic and charming when You say that, hahahahah.

Nobody will want to be a mayor and fly a dragon?
    Or at least own a freehold?

I imagine You can be a Freehold-Owner, plus of Course being a "GRANDMASTER" of two Professions there, which You need a Freehold to use the "best"(?) Devices from,

but that doesn't automatically make You an "a~HHHHH", i get it. You will be the Hero of everyone who might need your Service, then. :D

Steven creates a society. Some will be rich. The rest will work for them, pay rent and taxes, defend their castles, their freeholds... And we will even have politicians.

" Then upset the established Order, Depraved ... ... ... and everything becomes ... ... ... Ch~aos ... ... " >:)

Absolut wrote: »
    I don't want to be the hero they want, I want to be the hero they don't need.

Or maybe someone ridiculously overpowered will just become a Hero for an Hobby. Probably going to one-shot everything he comes across, just to look at us with the most silly, disorganized Face possible - telling us he has no Clue about what the actual Problems with the Corruption are - and that his Sense of Direction is horrible.

While probably following a easy-sounding Workout-Routine and living in the only Ghost Town ingame. Ohhh, i can see it now.

Oh wait. Wrong Fantasy Universe. 😋
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    A hero is not the same thing as a saint. And... in this case, we're talking about "nobodies". People who travel through the Portal from Sanctus to Verra are not considered to be "nobodies" by the game lore.
    Again... you could also decide your character is an athiest where gods actively roam and influence the world.

You are leaving out the possibility of being an unknown, unacknowledged character. There needs to be a possibility where the character is unknown. There is more than one way to get to Vera. I remember hearing there are 5 divine gateways scattered across Vera. There may also be 5 divine gateways located some where on Sanctus. Each individual divine gateway may be more or less divine than the other 4.
  • Options
    I have always felt everyone being "THE" somebody meant effectively everyone was nobody.
    Personally I aspire to be apart of a group that has a quality name as mercenaries but for the most part to live fight and die in the world of Verra as another player, another cog in the machine. Recently started playing a game called foxhole where everyone is but a cog in the machine. I quite enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JC31 wrote: »
    You are leaving out the possibility of being an unknown, unacknowledged character. There needs to be a possibility where the character is unknown. There is more than one way to get to Vera. I remember hearing there are 5 divine gateways scattered across Vera. There may also be 5 divine gateways located some where on Sanctus. Each individual divine gateway may be more or less divine than the other 4.
    Only way to reach Verra is through the 4 Divine Gateways.
    Each Gateway has an exit for Verra and an exit for Sanctus.
    They are all equally divine.

People on Sanctus may not know or care that you left Sanctus.
    There will be a bunch of people at the Starting Areas at each Verran Portal who will know who is arriving on Verra.
  • Options
    you are the main character of your own story ;3

What if it is a Story with boney friends ? Or Zombie Friends ? Who don't talk to much and manage to work as a Team where most MOBA Players fail embarrassingly in comparison ? lol

darthaden wrote: »
    You people can save yourselves from whatever threat Vera has, I'll be too busy trying to become rich being the go to guy for whatever crafting or processing skill I decide to go with.....I'll be happy to sell you the goods to save yourself though.

I like me some spicey Flavor, imagine your Voice being kinda sadistic and charming when You say that, hahahahah.

Nobody will want to be a mayor and fly a dragon?
    Or at least own a freehold?

I imagine You can be a Freehold-Owner, plus of Course being a "GRANDMASTER" of two Professions there, which You need a Freehold to use the "best"(?) Devices from,

but that doesn't automatically make You an "a~HHHHH", i get it. You will be the Hero of everyone who might need your Service, then. :D

" Then upset the established Order, Depraved ... ... ... and everything becomes ... ... ... Ch~aos ... ... " >:)

Absolut wrote: »
    I don't want to be the hero they want, I want to be the hero they don't need.

Or maybe someone ridiculously overpowered will just become a Hero for an Hobby. Probably going to one-shot everything he comes across, just to look at us with the most silly, disorganized Face possible - telling us he has no Clue about what the actual Problems with the Corruption are - and that his Sense of Direction is horrible.

While probably following a easy-sounding Workout-Routine and living in the only Ghost Town ingame. Ohhh, i can see it now.

Oh wait. Wrong Fantasy Universe. 😋

you messed up my quote, i didnt say that ;-;
  • Options
    Maybe not exactly a nobody, but I do want to be somewhat naive and not afraid to fail. Roleplaying weakness and flawed characters has mostly kind of disappeared from games.

I'm going to go dark prior to launch and avoid CCs like the plague. I don't want to know the perfect way to build a character or do a quest before I try it myself.

Recapturing a sense of discovery (in all things - not just the physical world, but systems as well) from my early gaming days is still the main thing keeping me in the waiting room.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    you messed up my quote, i didnt say that ;-;

Oh !! (.__.) x'D

Apologies. I noticed after like Three or Four Quotations, the "List" to put them into a Comment, doesn't function properly anymore. Looks like i failed to sort them out correctly. ^.^;"
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    "the champion, the savior, the godkinghero..." if nobody else wants the job, I'll take it....