Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Increasing concerns about community suggested scope creep

2»

Comments

• Options
    There is a lot of "fleshing out the unknown" too. Part speculative. Part wishful thinking. Part brainstorming. Despite how open IS is about development, they can't show all ideas or at all stages of building them. But we can. And so we explore the vagueness and we fill the void.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    GrandSerpentGrandSerpent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think this is really the community's responsibility. Ultimately, it's the job of Intrepid's project managers and designers to manage scope creep, and decide the cost/benefit of implementing any given feature.

While they obviously doesn't have the time or resources to implement everything that players might want, they need to understand what possibilities excite people in order to be able to make strategic decisions about what to prioritize, what to rework, and what to cut.

If I were running their dev team, all I would personally want was for the community to be understanding about the realities of development, and the fact that not everything that might sound good on paper will be reasonable to implement. I don't think people holding back on explaining cool, ambitious ideas really achieves anything, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Like someone else said, the developers are the experts here. I like watching Narc's videos, but there's a reason he doesn't work at Intrepid. 0 industry experience other than being a customer. A customer doesn't always know best.

I had a meeting with a leadership coach over at Google last week. She said "Start with the big ideas, then edit them down to smaller ideas to what is actually realistic and doable at the moment". I'm sure the Intrepid team is doing just that. Streamers big ideas are great, but they're not always realistic at the very moment.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Like someone else said, the developers are the experts here. I like watching Narc's videos, but there's a reason he doesn't work at Intrepid. 0 industry experience other than being a customer. A customer doesn't always know best.

I had a meeting with a coach expert over at Google last week. She said "Start with the big ideas, then edit them down to smaller ideas to what is actually realistic and doable at the moment". I'm sure the Intrepid team is doing just that. Streamers big ideas are great, but they're not always realistic at the very moment.

What is this topic even about then?

It's not like Narc suggested something Intrepid didn't say they were considering.

It can't count as 'scope creep' if they tell you 'we might do this' and you go 'yes please do this to the max!'

I smell a food analogy...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

I had a meeting with a leadership coach over at Google last week. She said "Start with the big ideas, then edit them down to smaller ideas to what is actually realistic and doable at the moment". I'm sure the Intrepid team is doing just that. Streamers big ideas are great, but they're not always realistic at the very moment.

sometimes their ideas suck lol. also, just because something works in one game, doesnt mean it will work in another one.
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    I'd like to voice my concerns about this, maybe others might share the same thoughts,

I have a feeling after every livestream with community feedback on the forums, office hours, and content creators that people don't really think about scope creep and don't appear to worry about pushing this game for a 2030 release with the sheer amount of details, gameplay layers, complexity that they want to see in every single system that is showcased,

using this latest artisan showcase just as an example, I was watching a Narc video and the guy is suggesting Intrepid to add a unique gameplay layer each of the 22 professions as well as real-time interaction with people being able to interact and see the minigame plus he doesn't like that we only have 3 pieces of artisan gear he wants a full 8 piece set for all the professions, he wants a skill trees with unique path specialization for each profession etc etc

and all I can think about besides a big no for crafting minigames/gameplay layers is jesus.. this game is already so huge in scope and theres still so much to develop, imagine if Intrepid starts taking a lot of this feedback from what players want to see in the game, isn't that what started to happen with Star Citizen like 10 years ago?

this isn't just about this artisan stream, I got the same concerns when I was reading/watching stuff when nodes were showcased, the event system, caravans and freeholds, theres always so many things being asked and no thoughts about how this would impact development time/cost, but with that said,

I hope Intrepid can keep a realistic approach to these systems and keep scope creep in mind, you don't need to make the most complex, ground-breaking MMO with every system being extremely detailed, just make a good game, deliver a core viable product that has solid systems and fun gameplay loops, no P2W and staff that actually perma-ban cheaters/RMTers and thats it, expansions will make the game better with time and expand the systems,

the road for trying to make everyone happy and developing all these crazy complex systems is long and dangerous, but hopefully the team is aware of this

I’ve had this same thought several times. I still kinda recoil when I hear content creators saying this system needs a wholesale change or an entirely new system needs to be added before A2.

I actively try to avoid doing stuff like that in my videos. If I think something should be changed or added, it’s usually pretty minor.

To echo what you said earlier Liniker, this game will likely proceed despite some calls for huge changes or additions. They’ve been steady at the helm for a while. That being said, if a large segment of the community clamors for additions, they might consider it and you’re right, that’d push things back even farther.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think people holding back on explaining cool, ambitious ideas really achieves anything, though.

This is really the most important thing here.

Let Intrepid handle scope creep according to their own internal plans and schedules. None of us on the outside are better than they are in determining if something is scope creep or not.

Let people dream big and suggest things that are wild and unrealistic. If Intrepid or some of the fanbase tries to stifle that flow of big ideas in the name of Scope Creep, there is a chance that all the small ideas stop too, some of which may be amazing and easy to implement. Even worse, there is a chance that the feedback they keep asking us for also stops pouring forth from our collective brains, if we feel like we aren't allowed to present our own ideas, or that we are severely limited in what we are allowed to suggest.