Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Absence of Distance Indicators on Targets

TricksterTrickster Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion

duzcro337b1g.png

During the latest livestream discussion about Archers, a noteworthy observation came to my attention. It pertains to the absence of a distance indicator on the target tab, a crucial element not only for Archers but for any class. In my opinion, having this feature is essential for accurately executing skills and determining the optimal proximity required to unleash abilities effectively.

Please add the distance indicators on the target tab!!

Exemple of a distance indicator
gtwek53vo9s5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    As a counterfeedback - I don't want a distance meter. I just want all abilities to give us their range in their description, and players will need to learn to know that distance by feel and practice.
  • Options
    Trickster wrote: »
    duzcro337b1g.png

During the latest livestream discussion about Archers, a noteworthy observation came to my attention. It pertains to the absence of a distance indicator on the target tab, a crucial element not only for Archers but for any class. In my opinion, having this feature is essential for accurately executing skills and determining the optimal proximity required to unleash abilities effectively.

Please add the distance indicators on the target tab!!

Exemple of a distance indicator
    gtwek53vo9s5.jpg

i like distance indicators, but they also make the combat easier ;-; to be or not to be T_T
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    As a counterfeedback - I don't want a distance meter. I just want all abilities to give us their range in their description, and players will need to learn to know that distance by feel and practice.

/Sign.

We can easily figure it out by learning and doing even if there is no Indicator.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I don't think distance indicators is needed at all. You'll learn your distance by simply playing.
    Skills that require a target won't fire anyways unless you're within range.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I don't think distance indicators is needed at all. You'll learn your distance by simply playing.
    Skills that require a target won't fire anyways unless you're within range.

Exactly.

One could also made that an optional - well - Option, right ? Wouldn't it mutilate the Players learning Abilities if everything is so easy that a Chimpanzee could play the Game ? 😅
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The distance indicator is the fading of the abilities on the hot bar depending on how far you are
  • Options
    The distance indicator is the fading of the abilities on the hot bar depending on how far you are

100% this. It was clear on the ability.
  • Options
    I dont need see the need or requirement for a range finder in the UI. Seems like games are filled with unnecessary features and indicators these days.

But I suppose since the game favours tab-targeting regardless of soft targeting (action targeting), I would imagine what @PlasticLemons mentioned it being visible on the Ability Bar.

As an example.

The original Star Craft games never told you how many workers you had on your resources. That was a skill the player needed to master as part of their macro/micro awareness. Now it's the norm...

Look at FPS games now. Aim assist hard coded into the gun range with bullet magnetism. Yeah I'm talking to you CoD, Battle Field, Destiny 2! etc

Dont really need to get into the shame of addons in mmorpg's with what they reveal...

Gamer's are just built different now.. lol
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Isn't the size of the target a distance indicator, just like in real life?
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Isn't the size of the target a distance indicator, just like in real life?

Tricks of the trade lol
  • Options
    I foresee us getting distance indicators; It's just not built in, yet.

Always good to know exactly how far you are away from certain bosses, in avoiding accidental aggro's.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Always good to know exactly how far you are away from certain bosses, in avoiding accidental aggro's.

next they'll want visual circles around the mob representing the aggro distance
  • Options

Is there a game that does that?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Is there a game that does that?

I've read enough community posts about wanting it in various forums. I'm not aware of an MMORPG off the top my head. Range finders will essentially be used to determine aggro range and tip toe through dense mob area's.

Gamer's are "special"
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Yes I support this post! implementing this on the action camera mode would also be great, like Tera did

5anelqk2au1r.png

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm perfectly fine with just not having it at all.

I don't much care if it is in the game either - I just don't see it as being overly important either way.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2023
    Love me a distance tracker. When you have multiple characters with different spells over many hours of play, it can get annoying to judge distance. Especially if you have characters of varying sizes.

It does not break anything to know that a target is within range of you and I would rather look at their nameplate than have to look down at my skill to see if its ready/spam it until it works.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Love me a distance tracker. When you have multiple characters with different spells over many hours of play, it can get annoying to judge distance. Especially if you have characters of varying sizes.

It does not break anything to know that a target is within range of you and I would rather look at their nameplate than have to look down at my skill to see if its ready/spam it until it works.

who looks at their action bar? :wink:
  • Options

who looks at their action bar? :wink:

home-alone-hector.gif
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    I see that people are divided on this and there are many who approves and many that don't but for me, it is absolutely necessary, just think about it... Even more so when you want to ambush player caravans, determine how far a ship is from you at sea, or gauge your proximity to a boss to avoid aggro. I don't think it would make PvP easier; rather, it would make it smarter. Knowing the distance won't change your damage or anything, but it will help you in determining the best time to use it. For example, as a ranger, knowing the distance can be crucial in preventing melee opponents from getting closer

Surely by adding it as optional would be the best, some people will want some will not, and by adding it would avoid even people creating addons for it
  • Options
    Knowing the distance won't change your damage or anything, but it will help you in determining the best time to use it.
    Which makes it easier to pvp.
    Surely by adding it as optional would be the best, some people will want some will not, and by adding it would avoid even people creating addons for it
    That second part is the only true part, exactly because people will want an easier game and will create addons to achieve that.

I dunno if non-api addons can achieve that though. If they can, I guess even this meter is inevitable as well :/
  • Options
    I vote against distance indicators.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2023
    Raven016 wrote: »

So should abilities just tell you the range when moused over and not be red or grey when out of range? Are we truly advocating for no distance indicator or just one on the nameplate?

I really dont get why knowing the distance to your target suddenly trivializes the gameplay. This is not where skill will be determined in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    I really dont get why knowing the distance to your target suddenly trivializes the gameplay. This is not where skill will be determined in any meaningful way.
    If the range is only visible in the description of the ability, then only people who know ranges of majority of skills across all classes would be able to move in and out of ranges, while also using their own stuff w/o spamming buttons needlessly.

Even ability bar going grey when outside of range wouldn't really help, cause high skill players don't look at the bar, but they would notice the range if it was on the nameplate, cause you can just move the nameplate to be right within your vision.

And all the casuals can just rely on the bar indication or just spam their buttons away. The skill floor is still low, but the ceiling is a bit higher.
  • Options

I haven't seen THIS before, and it sounds un-needed. As long as it's toggle-able, though, then yours truly wouldn't be opposed to it.

• Options
    edited December 2023

I haven't seen THIS before, and it sounds un-needed. As long as it's toggle-able, though, then yours truly wouldn't be opposed to it.

Would rather it never be a thing and never a toggle feature to be honest. Gaming is watered down remedially enough for MMORPG's and is spreading like cancer across the other genre's. I remember when gaming used to be about personal skill and awareness. Seems like it's more about cosmetics and making people feel good about themselves these days.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @Tyranthraxus I know I brought it up. I just used the example to show how stupid gaming & gamers are becoming with people wanting things like that.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

" To far away. "

" I am to far away. "

" My Target is to far away. "

" To much Distance. "

" I must move closer first. "

" I am out of reach. "

and so on - and so on ... ... 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    @Tyranthraxus I know I brought it up. I just used the example to show how stupid gaming & gamers are becoming with people wanting things like that.

I figured there was a degree of snark in there - but I always allow for the possibility of someone being from a different country.

/Agree; Proximity "spheres" or radii are un-needed, and are kind of a "kid-gloves" approach to gaming.

• Options

I figured there was a degree of snark in there - but I always allow for the possibility of someone being from a different country.

/Agree; Proximity "spheres" or radii are un-needed, and are kind of a "kid-gloves" approach to gaming.

No worries :smile: I just just say things as they are sometimes haha