Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Got To Jail and Don't Pass GO

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I'm pretty sure they've said no jail system like Archeage, and we all know how AA screwed that great idea up and how easily it was circumvented. You have to admit it was a riot seeing people plead their cases in court over global chat.

I bet there isn't a person in here who played Archeage who doesn't remember their local dirtbag always on trial after killing someone and escaping from prison lol.

Also helps the world see what people are up to mischief.

Now hypothetically and for giggles anyone who played Archeage and is familiar with the system..

How would you improve on that system to make it much less exploitable how would you do it?

Is a system like this every really feasible in some facet or is it always doomed to be manipulated?

Personally I think their should be SOME way to work a penalty off, and that will be the cost of your skullduggery, because losing real time sitting there does kind of suck BUT, if you didn't know how to escape you did learn your lesson lol.

Again this post was just for fun, just passing the time.
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    Any system that depends on the impartiality of online-players is doomed to fail a miserable and horrible death.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I never played archeage, but I think it would be really cool if say a corrupted player had a Bounty placed on them, and a player or group of Bounty hunter killed that person, the corrupted individual would respawn in a jail cell amd be given a choice in what they could do to assist the node that imprisoned them. Such as choosing to cut lumber in an enclosed area which would be automatically contributed to the node's resources. Or they could attempt to escape from the enclosed area and have to fight or run from the guards, and if they did that their corruption would remain.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 8
    I am not familiar with that, so I will create my own thread about this?
    Yes

edit: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/58919/verras-penal-island
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    For those that didn't play here is the their prison system at a glance:

Crime Points
    You accumulate Crime Points should you commit a crime, such as stealing or assault of players. If you receive more than 50 points you will be sent to trial on your next PvP death.

Court
    Prison soccer
    You will have your day in court. A Jury of your peers will decide upon your guilt and you are given the opportunity to defend yourself.

Jurors
    These are selected from a pool of level 30+ players without infamy points, who are eligible for Jury Duty (have finished a quest, Witness Protection in Austera on Haranya for example).

Sentence
    Should you be found guilty, you will serve a sentence determined by a number of minutes (this has been known to go into the hundreds if not thousands!).

Prison Break
    Prison break
    Should you break out of Prison and are subsequently caught again you will be placed on Trial another time. Should you be found guilty, your time from your previous sentence will be added to your new sentence.

The system itself was very fun, However it was easily manipulated by guilds and friends who were on the Jury, as to be a member of the just you just had to do a quest.

To combat corrupt jury's they would have to come up with a better way to keep people from unbiased opinion.
    Maybe a appeals court to another jury if found innocent.

It brought a whole new dynamic to the game, I would bet money if we asked Steven if he was ever a criminal in Archeage he would say yes :)

Again I don't think they have plans for this, since they have the corruption system, this was just something fun from archeage that would be cool if they found a way to make it better. maybe down the road
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    To me the jail system sounds like the worst possible method of punishing criminal-like behavior.
  • Options
    @ILLPeonU I am not fond of a jail system that resembles a real justice system, because it brakes the game experience

I would support ideas that use what the game already have, like doing quests, or travelling, or having to fight someone somewhere, paying fees, etc. So, my penal island idea is a wrap up of everything the game already has.

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    SoSpokeMikaSoSpokeMika Member
    edited February 8
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they've said no jail system like Archeage, and we all know how AA screwed that great idea up and how easily it was circumvented. You have to admit it was a riot seeing people plead their cases in court over global chat.

I bet there isn't a person in here who played Archeage who doesn't remember their local dirtbag always on trial after killing someone and escaping from prison lol.

Also helps the world see what people are up to mischief.

Now hypothetically and for giggles anyone who played Archeage and is familiar with the system..

How would you improve on that system to make it much less exploitable how would you do it?

Is a system like this every really feasible in some facet or is it always doomed to be manipulated?

Personally I think their should be SOME way to work a penalty off, and that will be the cost of your skullduggery, because losing real time sitting there does kind of suck BUT, if you didn't know how to escape you did learn your lesson lol.

Again this post was just for fun, just passing the time.

I would create entire penitentiary for a new, entirely different gameplay from the one outside the game. Doing jailtime with other inmates could lead to interesting stories. Especially if the guards are not NPC's and jailtime is really long.
    Keep in mind that I would make:
    -Escaping almost impossible.
    -Even if you do escape, your gear is not returned. You are still wearing prisoner's garb with shackles.
    -Everything would be grey in crafting menu. All except one recipe for makeshift knife... Shanking prisoners should be a thing.
    -Prison tattoos unlocking only available if you do time.
    -Reputation based on time spent in jail. Especially among bandit factions.
    -If you die, you respawn after the jail time.

I mean, I could go on for days how jail mechanics could be improved upon...

• Options
    Starting to sound more like a singleplayer game, making a punishment like this is just going to deter people from attacking caravans so there goes a whole game mechanic in popularity just because you want it to be more RP

If I wanted to go to jail for my crimes I’d go play Skyrim
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Starting to sound more like a singleplayer game, making a punishment like this is just going to deter people from attacking caravans so there goes a whole game mechanic in popularity just because you want it to be more RP

If I wanted to go to jail for my crimes I’d go play Skyrim

Archeage was a pretty popular game, with many aspects of it that will translate to AoC.

Again if you never played Archeage, and don't understand the system then it's kind of hard to explain.

Matters not, the more I think about it, the corruption system sounds like it will work just fine.

7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    how many jail threads does this make it now?