Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What subclasses are you most excited to learn about?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MDSMDS Member
    edited February 27
    I'm excited about the Spellsword or Highsword. Simply understanding the full affect secondary archetypes have on the primary arch is exciting enough!

But...

Anyone else have concerns AOC won't be able to manage or deliver on all of these different class combinations? This list is quite staggering and expectations are high. Believe me, I want it to be successful it just seems like an incredible endeavor on top of all the already huge workload.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    MDS wrote: »
    I'm excited about the Spellsword or Highsword. Simply understanding the full affect secondary archetypes have on the primary arch is exciting enough!

But...

Anyone else have concerns AOC won't be able to manage or deliver on all of these different class combinations? This list is quite staggering and expectations are high. Believe me, I want it to be successful it just seems like an incredible endeavor on top of all the already huge workload.

I don't think all sub classes need to be in at launch. If they had 40% and launched a few every few months. Or a number of them at every major update. I would be more then happy with that. So not worried.
  • Options
    Cleric everything
    Rogue everything
    Bard everything
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »

But...

I don't think all sub classes need to be in at launch. If they had 40% and launched a few every few months. Or a number of them at every major update. I would be more then happy with that. So not worried.

I'd rather have all full classes, and them given more augmentations choices overtime people can pick and choose from added in. If we are talking about the devs not being able to do what they said fully.

Again this is a repeated conversation with people thinking things are more complex than they realize. In niagara is very modular in how you make effects in UE4+5.

With the warrior charge as an example with two augmentation being teleport and charge with fire. You can take the wizard blink ability effect and use it on the warrior with some minor adjustments to make it feel slightly different. That does not take that along to do the effects were already made the moment you created the wizard blink effect to begin with.

Fire charge there is going to be fire particle effects made for multiple reasons. You can take the effect from one of the wizard spells and you can apply it on the rig of the character to follow him (legs, feet) as well as leave a fire trail or take the affect effect of another fire spell made that leaves a burning look or ash on the ground.

A lot of the heavy work is done so in terms of just making the effect it isn't that intensive as they aren't making unique abilities but modifying current ones.

If we look at a more challenging example with a stronger ability change with blade summoner. Instead of a hammer falling down it could be multiple swords that fall down in front of them. Perhaps a slightly different animation would have to be used for the character. But the effect would be the same with a change to its color maybe being blue, and instead of a hammer it is like 6 swords. Those swords already having been modelled so its just apply the tweaked material effect where you use a sword instead of the hammer."

These are not that difficult to do and can be done pretty quickly if you are talking about a first phase without polish. Also the idea of every skill being augmented most likely shouldn't be thought of that will be happening. Expectations should be kept in check.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »

But...

I'd rather have all full classes, and them given more augmentations choices overtime people can pick and choose from added in. If we are talking about the devs not being able to do what they said fully.

Again this is a repeated conversation with people thinking things are more complex than they realize. In niagara is very modular in how you make effects in UE4+5.

With the warrior charge as an example with two augmentation being teleport and charge with fire. You can take the wizard blink ability effect and use it on the warrior with some minor adjustments to make it feel slightly different. That does not take that along to do the effects were already made the moment you created the wizard blink effect to begin with.

Fire charge there is going to be fire particle effects made for multiple reasons. You can take the effect from one of the wizard spells and you can apply it on the rig of the character to follow him (legs, feet) as well as leave a fire trail or take the affect effect of another fire spell made that leaves a burning look or ash on the ground.

A lot of the heavy work is done so in terms of just making the effect it isn't that intensive as they aren't making unique abilities but modifying current ones.

If we look at a more challenging example with a stronger ability change with blade summoner. Instead of a hammer falling down it could be multiple swords that fall down in front of them. Perhaps a slightly different animation would have to be used for the character. But the effect would be the same with a change to its color maybe being blue, and instead of a hammer it is like 6 swords. Those swords already having been modelled so its just apply the tweaked material effect where you use a sword instead of the hammer."

These are not that difficult to do and can be done pretty quickly if you are talking about a first phase without polish. Also the idea of every skill being augmented most likely shouldn't be thought of that will be happening. Expectations should be kept in check.

How IS decides to roll I'm behind it. I just don't want rushed sub classes. I rather have 1/2 of them and rest releaser after launch then sloppily done. Either way. I ready to test what they throw at us in A2. I just hope I get a support Bard and a DPS Bard to play with.
  • Options
    im gonna do Fighter/Tank cuz Dreadnought interests me a great deal for survivability
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 7
    At the risk of talking mechanics versus classes, I am going to be interested to see which classes/combos use active dodge/block mechanics. Which will be most effective in using it and which ones all but ignore it.

Examples:
    • Guardian (Tank/Tank) - Will we see dodge/block slow to spin up but highly effective when used well? Best against mobs/bosses with single high damage but slow attacks.
    • Nightshield (Tank/Rogue) - Will dodge be quick to spin up but not as effective against heavy-handed bosses? Best against mobs/bosses with multiple, lower damage attacks.
    • Knight (Tank/Fighter) - Block same as Nightshields dodge.
    • Keeper (Tank/Summoner) - Is this the go-to off-tank who can handle large amounts of adds? Uses their own summons to roundup and control boss summons.
    • Spellshield (Tank/Mage) - Will this be the secondary archetype go-to for mobs/bosses that deal high arcane damage? An arcane shield might be useful to mitigate damage from non martial-based attacks.
    • Paladin (Tank/Cleric) - Is this the games' "bullet sponge" or much more an off-tank/off-healer?
    • Argent (Tank/Bard) - Umm... hmmm. Will be interested to see this combo played well in the right situation. Can't see how this won't be nearly duplicated by any of the above. Exception might be some kind of "charm tank".

Of course, I'll be looking forward to see how active dodge/block is implemented and used by all other classes/combos.
    • Do highly mobile classes use it as part of their normal rotations or do they use them only as an escape mechanic?
    • Do moderately mobile classes make it part of their rotations on a case-by-case basis or just for closer/escape?
    • Do low mobility classes rely so heavily on it that other mechanics get pushed aside?

The active dodge/block being available for all classes might make normally overlooked subclasses much more viable than currently imagined.
    owuEH4S.png