Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do secondary archetypes work?

I've been reading that a player's primary archetype is the root of everything, but then one can choose a secondary archetype which will modify the abilities of the primary archetype. So, if I were a Mage with Cleric secondary archetype, would my spells gain secondary healing or protective effects? What if I chose Ranger / Ranger on a character named CarlosDanger? (OK, that would be a bit ick.) Would choosing a secondary archetype identical to the first simply push all of the original spells a notch higher, or would there be secondary effects as varied as a Ranger / Tank combo?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bluntly, we don't know.

Would you like some links to incredibly long discussion threads on the matter between players?

From developers, whatever is on the wiki is all we have. Sorry.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Well, I was never that much of a theorist when it comes to class mechanics, but sure. Send the links, I'll try to follow along.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/48848/the-potential-issue-with-the-augment-system-and-hype-about-classes-in-general
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/52275/class-augment-theorycraft
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51444/controversial-augmentation-might-be-a-bad-idea-if-set-to-25-and-later
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/57668/is-64-classes-still-a-good-idea

These are 'in order' relative to how much information you can absorb from them, sorted secondarily by 'if you keep reading, the next thing will answer your likely questions'.

The last link is 'where we are now' in terms of 'how much the community is generally interested in discussing it without more information from Intrepid'. Basically, don't take it any specific way if this thread gets either 'entirely ignored' or 'overrun with stuff like the 64 classes one'.

'Enjoy'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    OK, so the total number of abilities they want in play is 420. Got it :smile:
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited March 10
    Telandras wrote: »
    How do secondary archetypes work ?

Apparently they work in two ways.

One is a bit of Lore and/or Optics. For Example being a Summoner and a Cleric, makes a Person a Necromancer. So you might want to expect, that only Summoners with Secondary Archetype Cleric will have Skellies or Zombies or so around them, doing their bidding.

Active as in Skills -> you might get a few passive and/or active Abilities from the other Archetype/Class that You will have as your secondary Archetype.

If you are a Warrior, Fighter, Tank, etc. -> and your secondary Archetype will be Rogue for Example -> expect that You get a few, tinier Skills that usually only Rogues are able to use.

Be it something stealthy, or maybe lockpicking, or maybe Parkour-Stuff like climbing over Walls and so on, who knows ?

Actually i don't even care if Sir Steven and his mighty Crew will still develop them for " Years " even after Ashes should have been released one Day -> until Players are truly satisfied. Sir Steven is told be a kinda Perfectionist, so expect great Balance and possible (lol) Player-Satisfaction to unfold even at the Date of Release,

but i personally am confident we will see Greatness unfold even later on in the Years, when Ashes is already out since a good while.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Bluntly, we don't know.

Would you like some links to incredibly long discussion threads on the matter between players?

From developers, whatever is on the wiki is all we have. Sorry.

Seconded... Probably won't know until closer to alpha 2... If that's even going to be in alpha 2.