Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What I'm looking for in A2

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
Numbers and systems aside, there are a few things daily gamelay wise that I'm checking during A2.

1. Was my time well spent and productive? In other words, am I actially able to set daily goals (even spontaneous ones) and actually acheive them or are most things so combersome and time consuming that they take forever and feel like a job? (Eve Online has this problem).

2. If I leave the node and head out on an expedition, by the time I come back did enough happen to make the time spent feel varied and meaningful. In other words, is the only thing out there the thing I set out for or are there plenty of things happening to make the journey feel eventful.

3. Does the game present options to me and give me surprising things to chase or does it feel more like a blank slate where I always have to invent the fun myself? In other words, can I head out with nothing specific in mind and find enjoyable things to do?

My outlook for this game is extremely positive. What I'm still curious about is what the little day to day experiences will be like.

Comments

• Options
    SinderSinder Member
    I look forward to seeing what you report back with A2 feelings regarding this, hopefully the world feels full of fun and adventure.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited March 28
    I hope you want to see all of those things later on in A2's cycle, cause I doubt that A2's release will have enough content per person to satisfy all 3 points (hell, if even any of them).
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I hope you're want to see all of those things later on in A2's cycle, cause I doubt that A2's release will have enough content per person to satisfy all 3 points (hell, if even any of them).

Well yeah, it won't be any where near feature complete, but I'm hoping to be able to see and test what the day to day experience will be like.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »

" ... ... ... ... ... "

5a8sbtj7x33t.png

I wonder if i should put this into the MeMe Topic as well ... ... ... ^.^
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »

" ... ... ... ... ... "

5a8sbtj7x33t.png

I wonder if i should put this into the MeMe Topic as well ... ... ... ^.^

Gasp! You're so internet scary.
  • Options
    What I will be looking for is simply some glorious footage!
    Do not have a key and do not need one. In general I wish the game would just do what WoW did back in the day and that is to host open alpha/beta at some point, maybe with no access to area's that are not as polished yet.

I'm tired of seeing haters shit on Ashes, say how they cannot wait to have their grandchildren play this game or have the game be called a scam entirely. This would be the ideal chance to shut them up or at least a big part of that noisy crowd.
    The monthly update's are nice too of course but I also understand that some people want to be closer to the game and when any kind of Alpha or Beta approaches again, I hope this could become a more regular thing in general or just be constant in general, just like WoW the last year before release.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A2 isn’t really the time to test what daily experience will be like.
    Especially not at the beginning.
    Half the design will be missing.

Beta is when you should test what the daily experience will be like.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Beta is when you should test what the daily experience will be like.

You can still get an early idea of what gameplay is going to be like. You guys shouldn't go into this thinking you are just bug testers. That's really just saying "I just want to play the game early". If you don't experiment and test the waters early on, ask questions and give feedback, you can't complain when the game design took a turn you don't like.

"It's fine, it's just alpha" is a prelude to forum posts later on saying they should redesign whole gameplay systems because we were not paying attention in the beginning.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm going to:

1. Explore, learn all the back roads on all the map that is released
    2. Learn all about the game that I possibly can
    3. Give IS the best feedback I am capable of
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I've yet to participate in an alpha test of a new game that ended up being representative of the final gameplay experience.

I've been involved in alpha testing expansions that were representative of the final experience - but that is largely because the base game was already there.

Take from that what you will.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Noaani wrote: »
    I've yet to participate in an alpha test of a new game that ended up being representative of the final gameplay experience.

I've been involved in alpha testing expansions that were representative of the final experience - but that is largely because the base game was already there.

Take from that what you will.

Fair point. Hopefully with this being a persistent alpha we will see a lot more meat to bite into.

With the open development approach they have taken so far, I'm willing to bet we will be able to see and give feedback on a lot more than what other developers have shown in the past. It would be best to put as much in as possible IMO, most of the other restricted alphas resulted in bad games. Best to find gameplay loop issues early on.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    I hope you're want to see all of those things later on in A2's cycle, cause I doubt that A2's release will have enough content per person to satisfy all 3 points (hell, if even any of them).

Well yeah, it won't be any where near feature complete, but I'm hoping to be able to see and test what the day to day experience will be like.

Ashes of Creation's core game systems are expected to be in place at the start of Alpha-2.[4][5] By the end of Alpha-2, the game is expected to be feature complete, but it will not be content complete until launch.[6][7]

Because Alpha 2 will last until launch, probably we will not see content like story.
    The day to day experience is what Steven wants to see too, to be able to balance everything.
  • Options
    Throughout the entire phase of A2, I am hoping to get a proper vibe check on class gameplay. Both for myself, and my friends.
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Frame data!

And the Bounty Hunter system. I really hope A2 doesn't start without the BH system at least feature-complete, the buyer's remorse whiplash might be too much.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Frame data!

And the Bounty Hunter system. I really hope A2 doesn't start without the BH system at least feature-complete, the buyer's remorse whiplash might be too much.

Curious Question over here,

is the Bounty-Hunter System really THAT desired ? I have no Idea actually. I know only that some to many People are afraid of getting corrupted for Playerkilling - and that Bounty-Hunters apparently can set on hunting said Playerkillers.

I imagine something like Geralt's Witcher Senses or something else, that may help You looking in the "about Direction" of the targeted Playerkiller the Bountyhunters are going to hunt. 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Going into an alpha with the mindset of testing the game is equivalent to "just wanting to play the game?"
  • Options

^
    |
    This. ;)

Hence my Picture from above. :D Alpha Two will be more like " Hell in Verra ", instead of taking a tiny shot of playing the Game. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Going into an alpha with the mindset of testing the game is equivalent to "just wanting to play the game?"

Not really. What I'm seeing a lot of, and its been this way for several years now is folks focusing more on balancing issues for their own personal class and other things exclusive to themselves. For a lot of people it seems like this is more of a personal practice session to get a leg up on launch. Just read between the lines when people post. This mentality won't work anyway, the larger community will catch up in no time.

I'm more worried about whether or not Ashes will actually be a fun video game. Luckily it looks like this stuff will be present as the alpha goes on so we'll be able to test it.

Honestly, how some of you managed to manufacture the negative in even that simple concept is miraculous.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    ....is the Bounty-Hunter System really THAT desired ?

It'll likely be the same as it is in other games: appealing to some, not to others, Yours truly played live Star Wars: Galaxies for about 5 of the 8 and 1/2 years it was up, and have played SWG: Legends (the game's unauthorized emulator) on-and-off since 2016, and have NEVER tried to collect on a player-bounty. This, despite placing them fairly often.

Will be in the Alpha to break it; I want to find all the little bugs that initial development hasn't already caught. What happens when I try to put a bag of holding into another bag of holding? Will collision-detection cause players to become trapped in taverns if I *try* to block a doorway? Will any of the abilities still fire, despite showing that they are still supposed to be on cooldown? Can I rock/roof-climb into a quest-area, even when we are explicity intended to fight through/travel through certain areas? What happens to my crafting materials/items if I lose connection in the middle of the crafting process? Etc, etc.

I ultimately don't want this game to face the legion of troubles that New World went through, after they skimped on pre-launch testing.

• Options
    Looking forward to learning the systems
    Seeing how developers tweak things prior to a games launch
    Creating alliances and friendships in the Alpha and Beta testing phases

And killing time as the other mmos are not keeping my attention span and I need something different to do and explore.
  • Options
    edited April 7
    You can still get an early idea of what gameplay is going to be like. You guys shouldn't go into this thinking you are just bug testers. That's really just saying "I just want to play the game early". If you don't experiment and test the waters early on, ask questions and give feedback, you can't complain when the game design took a turn you don't like.
    We should go in testing - since that is the primary purpose of the Alpha 2 for Ashes of Creation.
    Balanced gameplay is not a primary goal of Alpha 2. Especially not at the start of Alpha 2.

The very last thing the devs want us to do with Alpha 2 is play as though it already has the typical balanced daily gameplay expected at release. Or even to give feedback in that manner.
    The purpose of Alpha 2 is to test; not play.

Sure... give feedback on how the A2 gameplay feels.
    But, that should still be with the understanding that the gameplay in the Alpha 2 is not truly representative of how the devs hope daily gameplay will feel at launch.
  • Options
    Hope they bring out Arena (even if it’s not ranked) but get to trial 1v1 / 3v3 and 5v5 Arena matches. Also a chance to see the 20v20 sieges and the 8v8 battlegrounds would be cool too
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Here’s my approach:

1) does the game function as designed? (Testing / Bug logging / retesting)

2) how does the current design match the spirit or direction of that capability? (UX / experience issues)

3) will the game break if I play it ‘my way’?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

Sure... give feedback on how the A2 gameplay feels.
    But, that should still be with the understanding that the gameplay in the Alpha 2 is not truly representative of how the devs hope daily gameplay will feel at launch.

I agree if you reverse that a bit:

"Sure... test for bugs/glitches/exploits.
    But that should still be with the understanding that if the general gamplay feels off or unsatisfying, we should have the initiative to start asking if this is what they truly have in mind or if other systems are missing."
  • Options
    edited April 8
    You should expect the general gameplay to feel off or unsatisfying because representing the general daily gameplay is not really a development goal for the start of Alpha 2.

You could also say you're going to test to see if Tulnar, Summoners and Bards are in Alpha 2 and write bugs if they don't play like they're expected to play at release.
    You can do that if you want to, but... including Tulnar, Summoners and Bards are not development goals for the start of Alpha 2, so those bugs won't be particularly meaningful.

We already know that the start of Alpha 2 will not be representative of the intended daily gameplay.
  • Options
    Well I'll give you an example. With Commissions that they showed in February, if you start doing them in A2 and they feel boring and repetitive is it not important to explore that and give feedback?

They could be developing further assuming we are fine with the basic design, while we are assuming they will fix it up later.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    You should expect the general gameplay to feel off or unsatisfying because representing the general daily gameplay is not really a development goal for the start of Alpha 2.

You could also say you're going to test to see if Tulnar, Summoners and Bards are in Alpha 2 and write bugs if they don't play like they're expected to play at release.
    You can do that if you want to, but... including Tulnar, Summoners and Bards are not development goals for the start of Alpha 2, so those bugs won't be particularly meaningful.

We already know that the start of Alpha 2 will not be representative of the intended daily gameplay.

wait what? i thought the bards were going to be present at thee start of alpha 2 and only the summoner was going to be missing. where did you see that? T_T
  • Options
    That could have been a 2022 statement rather than a 2023 clarification.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    T_T

also diamaht you gonna be dissapointed if you have those expectations for a2 xd
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Going to be testing the corruption system... a lot >8D