Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pile of ashe

AsmodeusAsmodeus Member
edited April 23 in General Discussion
I find the concept of a dead corpse turning into ashes rather unappealing. I would much prefer to see a body remaining on the ground after a player is killed. It feels more realistic and is much more visually appealing to me.

Will there be a setting to turn on/off [PILE OF ASHE] on death?

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 23
    "Characters entering into the world of Verra are empowered with the spark of life that comes from the Goddess of Creation. This spark houses a portion of what represents their mortal coil/soul and their conduit to The Essence.[55][2][3][56] When a character dies they disintegrate into ashes, in accordance with the mythology of the cycle of life, death, and rebirth that is associated with the celestial avatar of the Goddess of Creation, the phoenix." - https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death

there is a reason why they turn into Ashes, I find this really cool, and there shouldn't be a way to turn this off
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I also dont like it. Linking the lore behind it doesnt change a thing.
  • Options
    I understand your point. And I dont feel like undermining any visions the studio has for the game, but the option to turn this feature on/off (for my screen), cater to a wider range of player preferences without compromising the game's overall experience.

Valorant did it, so why shouldn't this game have it aswell.
  • Options
    FinovFinov Member
    Asmodeus wrote: »
    I understand your point. And I dont feel like undermining any visions the studio has for the game, but the option to turn this feature on/off (for my screen), cater to a wider range of player preferences without compromising the game's overall experience.

I completely agree with this feature. By the way, I also don't like a pile of ashes in the form of a corpse.
  • Options
    I find the concept of a dead corpse turning into ashes rather unappealing. I would much prefer to see a body remaining on the ground after a player is killed. It feels more realistic and is much more visually appealing to me.

Will there be a setting to turn on/off [PILE OF ASHE] on death?

We can probably all guess the Reason, can we ?

It will save Frames. Data-Burden. The Details that get bigger and bigger and bigger the more People fight in a single Location. It is there to save Power so that the Game runs a bit smoother, doesn't it ?

Takes less Power to animate. Hence, the tiny pile of Ash. ^.^

If you are a Madman with a NASA-Computer (lol) then by all means, turn it off in a Mass Battle in Case that Option would exist in the Game. But then your Game might crash. ^.^;"
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

well, valorant didn't have to keep track of thousands of corpses on the same spot =x that's probably good reason for not keeping the body in the game after death. not sure how res will work tho, or if you will be able to stay dead or you will be forced to respawn immediately or almost immediately.
  • Options

If thousands of players can be in one spot, casting spells, walking, and attacking, I believe that having corpses lying around wouldn't significantly harm the overall performance of the game as much as the same player being alive and casting spells and doing all sorts if things. Additionally, the corpses wouldn't stay there forever, would they?
  • Options
    i wasnt necessarily talkinga bout performance, although there might be a component of it. btw trees don't move or cast spells or anything, but trees will fuck up your frames more than spells if you arent careful on how you implement them, xD

but yeah Idk for how long they gonna stay there. but I could be quite annoying for other players if more people keep coming back and now you have corpses, then people alive, then dying. it can be annoying for other players. its visual aids. it hard to explain unless you have experienced it yourself and got annoyed by it T_T

I'm not really against or in favor of such setting, I was only replying on why valorant probably did it and ashes wont
  • Options
    I believe it will take some time for players to reach their death location, and the revive cooldown will be significant. While I agree that trees can cause significant performance problems, it seems unrealistic to worry about stationary objects causing lag in a massive MMORPG like Ashes Of Creation, especially with hundreds of players moving around and likely engaging in much more performance-intensive activities like PVP and large scale warfare.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’m hoping we can place portable campfires. So when you eventually return to your body, I’ll be there with some s’mores ready.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 24
    I think the only real comment I have on this is that I have used corpses to crash servers in a number of different MMO's - in ways where it was unable to be patched out. Every game I have played that has corpses that are anything other than immovable, static assets has left a way to be able to crash the game.

If Ashes is going to have immovable, static corpses, it is FAR better than they be ash.
  • Options
    I believe it will take some time for players to reach their death location, and the revive cooldown will be significant. While I agree that trees can cause significant performance problems, it seems unrealistic to worry about stationary objects causing lag in a massive MMORPG like Ashes Of Creation, especially with hundreds of players moving around and likely engaging in much more performance-intensive activities like PVP and large scale warfare.

Its not any single part of a game that kills its performance, its the aggregation of all the parts together... and thus the optimization of all of them together that allow for smooth gameplay.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We can't even use cosmetics in sieges right now due to performance lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Songcaller wrote: »

Yes, "right now". This game isn't even close to beta.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I’m hoping we can place portable campfires. So when you eventually return to your body, I’ll be there with some s’mores ready.

We must just take care not to accidentally call them Bonfires. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I have to agree with most on here. Not a fan of the pile of ashes.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Songcaller wrote: »

Yes, "right now". This game isn't even close to beta.

It is highly unlikely to change.

And it isn't that we can't use cosmetics, it is that every player character will be drawn using a default model.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    It will save Frames. Data-Burden. The Details that get bigger and bigger and bigger the more People fight in a single Location. It is there to save Power so that the Game runs a bit smoother, doesn't it ?
    Takes less Power to animate. Hence, the tiny pile of Ash. ^.^

That is actually a smart thought. In a gigantic PvP battle with +200 vs +200 players, instead of the dead bodies in WoW for example, if the ashpile is smartly done, it would cost much less polygons to animate.
    But also not a fan of it. I like dead bodies more.
    No necrophile of course. ;)
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg