Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node buddies

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Wait, people have guilds already? :sleepy:

I bet they would love to. >:)

But how if there is not even something like a Lobby aside from Discord or Teamspeak and so - and even the Testing Servers of Verra are still in a Fantasy-World far, far away ... ... :D

I mean, I have the same guild I have been in for 20 years or so, across about a dozen games.
  • Options
    blat wrote: »
    Percimes wrote: »
    Read thread title as "nude bodies" ... :|

No guild. No plan to join one. Not as opposed in joining one as people think, but if so it will be done "organically" as I play and meet people. But, no, really, don't send me invite right now.

Do people only read the first sentence then mentally auto-complete the rest? :D

Yes.

If your first sentence is asking how many people already have a guild, people will think your thread is about guilds.

If your thread isn't about guilds, asking how many people have guilds should not be your first sentence.

Even if they do read the whole post, they are doing so from the understanding that you are asking about guilds, because that is the first thing you said. You can ask that question later in the first post, but it shouldn't be the thing you open with.

The first sentence should entice the reader to want to continue to read more, while also setting the expectation and understanding of what the rest of the work is about.

Look at my post here. My first sentence is simply "Yes." That is specifically so you understand that I am pointing out to you that the thing you said (and seemed to not believe) is indeed true. It sets you up with the right understanding of what I am about to elaborate on right from the very beginning.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Noaani wrote: »

No guild. No plan to join one. Not as opposed in joining one as people think, but if so it will be done "organically" as I play and meet people. But, no, really, don't send me invite right now.

Do people only read the first sentence then mentally auto-complete the rest? :D

Yes.

If your first sentence is asking how many people already have a guild, people will think your thread is about guilds.

If your thread isn't about guilds, asking how many people have guilds should not be your first sentence.

Even if they do read the whole post, they are doing so from the understanding that you are asking about guilds, because that is the first thing you said. You can ask that question later in the first post, but it shouldn't be the thing you open with.

The first sentence should entice the reader to want to continue to read more, while also setting the expectation and understanding of what the rest of the work is about.

Look at my post here. My first sentence is simply "Yes." That is specifically so you understand that I am pointing out to you that the thing you said (and seemed to not believe) is indeed true. It sets you up with the right understanding of what I am about to elaborate on right from the very beginning.

Lol this place is unbearable.
    I'm going to have to to assume a certain section of regulars here spend a significant portion of their lives gnawing at each other's forum posts, which would go some way to explaining some of the smug condescension.

I'm not saying you're wrong, btw. But Christ.
    Ok yes my first sentence mentioned guilds. The following text was however pretty damn clear and to the point.
    I don't think I'm expecting too much here!
    Given the average Ashes forum poster is what.. 35+ and literate?

Maybe separating by region would help.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC3juvn8XI
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Ok yes my first sentence mentioned guilds.
    That sentence is also the only one with a question. A call to action is weaker than a question, especially when that call to action could be seen as an ask to answer the question.

I do agree with Noaani's "your first sentence gives a theme to the thread". It's never too late to just remove that sentence completely :) It serves no purpose for the goal of this thread. Removing it changes nothing, when it comes to understanding your point, while keeping it obviously confuses people as to what you were asking them about.
  • Options
    Ok yes my first sentence mentioned guilds. The following text was however pretty damn clear and to the point.
    I'm going to make a suggestion for you, based on the above.

Rather than admitting your first sentence didn't set the correct expectation or tone and then still blaming others, consider this a simple learning experience for yourself.

As a thread, this is one of the least useful this forum has ever had. People aren't looking for others to play a game that is years away, especially not based on in game systems they have no more than half of the information on.

Thus, take what I said above in, learn from it, make it so something worthwhile actually comes from this thread, and make a point of starting your future threads and posts off better going forward.

As I said at the start, this is just a suggestion.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Wait, people have guilds already? :sleepy:

I bet they would love to. >:)

But how if there is not even something like a Lobby aside from Discord or Teamspeak and so - and even the Testing Servers of Verra are still in a Fantasy-World far, far away ... ... :D

I mean, I have the same guild I have been in for 20 years or so, across about a dozen games.

whats ur guild's name?
  • Options
    I'm going to make a suggestion for you, based on the above.

Rather than admitting your first sentence didn't set the correct expectation or tone and then still blaming others, consider this a simple learning experience for yourself.

As a thread, this is one of the least useful this forum has ever had. People aren't looking for others to play a game that is years away, especially not based on in game systems they have no more than half of the information on.

Thus, take what I said above in, learn from it, make it so something worthwhile actually comes from this thread, and make a point of starting your future threads and posts off better going forward.

As I said at the start, this is just a suggestion.

im actually looking for people to play this game (and a2), even if its years away. more than a guild, im looking for a cp, then we can join a guild that recruits cp only.
  • Options
    blatblat Member

Classic forum gatekeeping bs. You don't represent the readers of this forum.
    I could not care less how "useful" you deem this or any other thread to be.

Your posts in this thread (and many others, btw) have zero constructive value.
    I made the purpose very clear (opening sentences aside ;) but considering the lengthy paragraphs you've been writing then I assume you can read beyond that).

So as a suggestion for you: maybe the next time a thread has no interest for you, you leave it alone for others to enjoy?

There were a thousand ways of making your "suggestion" without being a miserable, gatekeeping bellend.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Ok yes my first sentence mentioned guilds.
    That sentence is also the only one with a question. A call to action is weaker than a question, especially when that call to action could be seen as an ask to answer the question.

I do agree with Noaani's "your first sentence gives a theme to the thread". It's never too late to just remove that sentence completely :) It serves no purpose for the goal of this thread. Removing it changes nothing, when it comes to understanding your point, while keeping it obviously confuses people as to what you were asking them about.

Lol I do agree, but I didn't come here for advice on post construction.
    The point could still be made if he absolutely couldn't resist, without being a complete tit (alas, a bridge too far).

If you don't like the thread, consider not posting in it.
    When someone has clearly laid out expectations for a thread and you have no interest in it, posting anything else is non-constructive and goes against the spirit of the forum.

Also, how many years away people should start looking for others to play the game with is completely subjective and absurd for anyone to be making judgements on.
  • Options
    Classic forum gatekeeping bs.
    That isn't gatekeeping.

Someone explaining to you why others aren't reacting to something you did the way you thought they would is not gatekeeping.

No one here is controling or limiting access you have to anything. In fact, the only people that could do that are the forum moderators - accusing anyone that is not a forum moderator of gatekeeping on a forum lowers your credibility a good amount.

Sure, there may have been other ways I could have presented the issue of your initial post to you, but as you have already proven yourself to be one of those "blame anyone but myself" type people, I felt the way I presented it was the most applicable to the situation.

People that accept responsibility deserve better, people that continually blame others do not.
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    Since my playthrough of Elden Ring without any guides, wiki, help etc.

It was magical.

I actually had fun for the first time in a long time. I hope I find likeminded people to make memories and memes.

Much love ❤️
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    That isn't gatekeeping.

Someone explaining to you why others aren't reacting to something you did the way you thought they would is not gatekeeping.

No one here is controling or limiting access you have to anything. In fact, the only people that could do that are the forum moderators - accusing anyone that is not a forum moderator of gatekeeping on a forum lowers your credibility a good amount.

Sure, there may have been other ways I could have presented the issue of your initial post to you, but as you have already proven yourself to be one of those "blame anyone but myself" type people, I felt the way I presented it was the most applicable to the situation.

People that accept responsibility deserve better, people that continually blame others do not.

Cherry-picking one small piece of a post and arguing definitions.
    Read the rest.

You've made zero constructive contributions here.
    Posts like yours make the forum a less pleasant, welcoming place for people to discuss Ashes.

If a thread isn't for you, don't post.
    If a thread isn't for others, well it won't hang around for long will it.
  • Options
    This is the general discussion forum... There is a guild recruitment forum section, where this thread might have got the reaction you were hoping for.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    This is the general discussion forum... There is a guild recruitment forum section, where this thread might have got the reaction you were hoping for.

I don't think "General Discussion" is the issue here.
  • Options
    blatblat Member

You're telling me a thread isn't welcome on a forum based on your own subjective PoV. This is gatekeeping.

I do wonder how many Ashes fans have been put off by this place over the years.
  • Options
    That isn't gatekeeping.

Cherry-picking one small piece of a post and arguing definitions.
    Again, it was the first 4 words I was replying to (assuming you consider "bs" to be a word).

Can it really be called "cherry picking" if it is literally the first sentence?
  • Options

You're telling me a thread isn't welcome on a forum based on your own subjective PoV. This is gatekeeping.

I do wonder how many Ashes fans have been put off by this place over the years.

Where did I say it wasn't welcome?

I said it was one of the least useful - I didn't say anything about it being welcome or not. That isn't my call to make.

What I will point out though - to you whom is accusing me of gatekeeping - only one of us in this thread has said the other shouldn't post in it, and it wasn't me.

Telling someone they shouldn't post in a thread is gatekeeping, you gatekeeper!
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Posts like yours make the forum a less pleasant, welcoming place for people to discuss Ashes.

I'll leave you with this.
  • Options

I'll leave you with this.

You think you are the first person to say something like this to me?

I mean, look at my first post in this thread. You started a thread no one was interested in, but a few people found a discussion they considered worthwhile that was tangentially related. You got all upset and asked everyone to keep the thread on point - you were trying to stop people having a discussion they considered worthwhile having, simply because it wasn't the discussion you wanted to have.

I simply said no to your request to keep the thread on topic, because others found a topic of discussion that they considered more worthwhile than the one you wanted to have.

Yet you are claiming it is me that is making the forum a less pleasant place, when you are trying to prevent others having the discussions they want to have, and are telling others still that they shouldn't post here?

Yeah, I'm happy to call you out, and make you feel uncomfortable, but only because of your actions.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    If you don't like the thread, consider not posting in it.
    When someone has clearly laid out expectations for a thread and you have no interest in it, posting anything else is non-constructive and goes against the spirit of the forum.
    I mean, his point is that you didn't in fact lay out the point clearly :)

You had a question in your OP. People answered that question. They were interested enough in answering that question. You just slightly fumbled the question direction, so instead of your preferred direction for the thread, people mistook it for a different direction.

Like, 7 of the posters who, seemingly, responded to your OP - responded to the guild part of the post. Only Tomb followed your instructions, though it'd be difficult to say if they read through the thread and saw your clarifications and annoyance with "wrong" answers or if they responded "correctly" right after reading the OP.

You can complain all you want that people don't read or whatever, but getting angry at people for answering a question you yourself postulated is, imo, sillier than just realizing that they're doing so due to your own mistake.

While Noaani's nature of posting can definitely seem abrasive and "all high and mighty", and definitely snobby - I do think that his advice is valid, cause if you had changed your OP as soon as you saw that 2 first responders didn't follow what you wanted them to follow - you wouldn't have had to argue with people in the responses.

I know that you didn't come here for advice on posts, but I do believe that it would be beneficial for you to at least listen to what that advice implies.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    edited April 29
    Tbh I had the impression you were better than this @NiKr.

I'm not debating whether or not my post could have been marginally improved for the benefit of those with ADD and the reading-comprehension levels of a goldfish, that much is clear by now. Point taken.

The guy is a pure troll. Except this particular type of troll happens to have enough brain cells to wrap his blatant trolling in a neatly-worded package, with misery rebranded as "suggestion" and "logic" etc.
    It is clear to many who read these posts, I can easily imagine many of them deciding it's too futile & exhausting to bother engaging, though.

ob1bch8g5yua.png
    ub6zg1wai0g8.png
    People aren't looking for others to play a game that is years away, especially not based on in game systems they have no more than half of the information on.

^^^ Zero constructive input whatsoever. Derailing threads that he personally doesn't like. He may be "right" on occasion but shows absolutely zero class.

@NiKr - re-read my original post. It's what... 3 sentences long?
    Could it be clearer? Well yes it seems so.
    Was it still fairly clear, at least thanks to its brevity? Yes it was.

This is a forum to discuss the upcoming MMO Ashes of Creation, I think many here could do with keeping that in perspective.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Tbh I had the impression you were better than this NiKr.
    I know you're new to the forum so you haven't gotten used to the regulars' posting mannerisms, but that's just how Noaani is. Everyone here is "special" in some way. Everyone, from time to time, claims to "ignore" some other special people. But in the end we all usually keep going in circular discussions of the same things, because we've been here for years and know each other's arguments all too well already. And designs of the game haven't been shown in enough detail to properly discuss something with a bit of trolling here and there.

I'd say your best way to go about interacting with people is to ignore those you want to ignore and interact with those you want to interact with.

Even if someone's trying to derail your thread - just interact with those who responded normally, because it's easier to assume that they'll also ignore the derailer(s).

I personally like to just troll back, but it's obvious that you're not that kind of person, cause you aggroed onto people WAAAY too easily here.
    I'm not debating whether or not my post could have been marginally improved for the benefit of those with ADD and the reading-comprehension levels of a goldfish, that much is clear by now. Point taken.
    You're not doing yourself any favors by posting stuff like this. I know Noaani got you riled up and all, but being argumentative with the regulars (which was majority of replies) would just lead to even more arguments in the future and even more "trolling" from people like Noaani (though he was not trolling btw), because they know what gets under your skin.

Replies didn't follow your commands and it's obvious that it got you upset. People will use that in the future, so just keep that in mind.
    re-read my original post. It's what... 3 sentences long?
    Was it still fairly clear, at least thanks to its brevity? Yes it was.

This is a forum to discuss the upcoming MMO Ashes of Creation, I think many here could do with keeping that in perspective.
    And we all discussed it here. But again, instead of following your strict command of "do this in my thread OR ELSE YOU'RE DERAILING", people simply answered the only question in your OP.

You then got angy at them for answering said question and tried to command them again. You know what a lot of people dislike (especially nowadays)? Being told what to do. You did that several times in this thread. So instead of doing that, people just started having fun instead, because that's more interesting than following someone's command.

If you think that is childish - cool, that's your opinion. If you can't take the higher road or work around "childishness" - this forum will be a difficult place for you to post in. We've got sharks in here and you have just spilled a bit of your own blood. Of course you'll dislike this response as well, because I too am being facetious right now, but that's just how this forum's mirror reflects posters. You get what you give and you get pushed back if you push.

All in all, it is all a learning experience. I just hope you can get past it and keep posting, cause you do have good takes, but I know for sure it's gonna be difficult for you if you keep trying to tell people how to interact with your posts instead of just posting around their replies.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    edited April 29
    Yeah again, as many regulars here love to say: "you're missing the point".
    Sharks.. spilling blood...
    People will use that in the future, so just keep that in mind.

Lol it's so odd to me. There's some weird sense of grandiosity in here, certain individuals seem to think they're accomplished jousters in the arena of discussion, or something.

We're talking about a game. I am here to talk about a game.

It's forum etiquette the world over to at least try to keep a thread on-point. I think that's a reasonable expectation.
    I didn't try to "command" anyone. Just maybe my expectations are a tad higher than yours? As I've said before, that could well be a regional thing (we're all stuck in here together).

You can put it all down to regulars' posting mannerisms and people being "special" if you want. But really it's just being a typical forum c4nt. Keyboard warriors working up a sweat. The type that drag the mood down in forums all over the internet.
  • Options
    I have a group of around 14 people ready to play with me.

@StevenSharif for the love of god, if you don't open a SA server, we will be forced to play with 170 ping in US East (cause US West is like 250 ping) so for the love of god, don't shaft all of South America!

there will be SA servers and they will also cost less than playing on NA xD
    but as is big, depending on where you are and the server is, you might still get high ping :P
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    God damn it. I used normal form of "c4nt" and the entire huge reply got flagged and won't post until checked. Oh fucking well.
  • Options
    edited April 29
    NiKr wrote: »
    While Noaani's nature of posting can definitely seem abrasive and "all high and mighty", and definitely snobby
    I would potentially argue "snobby", but I can also see how I may come across as that at times - so won't.
    Right, so, at that point you stop blaming others.

You could have done better, but you didn't. That is where you place the blame, because that is what you can control. You do not know how much better this thread would have gone if you had have done a better job with the OP, because you didn't do a better job with it.
    It's forum etiquette the world over to at least try to keep a thread on-point.
    But that etiquitte doesn't extend to threads that were never on topic.

If you want a thread to stay on topic, you need to have an OP that is clear, to the point, yet explains the concepts at hand.

Your OP does not do that, and so any etiquette that would be afforded threads that do is simply not applicable here.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    @Noaani, it's a game. You're bringing the neg here for what, a suboptimal sentence? Time to get a grip now I think.

In future, my "suggestion" (and request actually) is: if you don't like a thread of mine then do feel free to leave it alone.
    The rest of the forum can decide for itself how useful/interesting it is, and it'll disappear quite quickly otherwise.
  • Options
    You're bringing the neg here for what, a suboptimal sentence?
    Suboptimal?

It was inadaquate at best, not suboptimal.

Suboptimal would have seen some people not understand what you were asking. Inadaquate would see everyone getting the wrong message - and as is evidenced by the replies, everyone got the wrong message from the OP.