Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The One Node to rule them all!

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 12 in General Discussion
What if there was a possibility within the game mechanics such that should a variety of onerous conditions be met and maintained by the citizens of a zone and perhaps even include conditions met with their relationships with other nodes that said node might just unlock a "dark node". Limited to one per server and time constrained.

A dark node being a node that had rewards and risk that came with being a full pvp zone, and chaotic evil zone!

Just a what if!

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ah yes, because that is what this PvX game needs - more PvP.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited May 12
    Assuming that all nodes become very peaceful and the corruption becomes lore wise concentrated into a small place of land, and that would make the node become a full PvP node, those citizens would be tempted to fight each-other.
    If you somehow make rules to prevent infighting, then it is like a normal node being at war with every other node on the map all the time. It is in both cases an imbalance.

( Your mind is trying to get out of the box :smile: )
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    I like the idea.
  • Options
    SengardenSengarden Member
    edited May 12
    A player-run Mordor that my friends and I can have epic battles fighting against, ultimately resulting in a last alliance between elves and men in which the evildoers are driven out, but not wholly defeated? Sign me up!
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    akabear wrote: »

Like "Mortium" (Landscape) in V Rising ? ;)

Constant Battles and Strife for Power ? ^.^
    Such a thing is kinda happening on the open Sea's already ... ... ;->
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I think there may end up some guilds that influence their alliance to max out all wars and therefore a possibility already.. but was wondering if that was to happen, perhaps the game mechanics could trigger some other state!
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    I would like a free PvP zone outside of open seas so that's a yes from me.
  • Options
    AqualutumAqualutum Member
    Chaotic zone eh?

To quote the dark knight movie "Oh, and you know the thing about chaos, it’s fair!"
  • Options
    Ah, then the inverse too, if certain conditions were met by a passive node then pvp would not be possible too!
  • Options
    YES!
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    akabear wrote: »
    Ah, then the inverse too, if certain conditions were met by a passive node then pvp would not be possible too!

in a world of PvX, if a full PvP area is added, one could ask for a full PvE area too.
    But placing nodes or freeholds into those areas is not a good idea.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    I would love a Dark node with full PVP enabled.. similar to runescapes full pvp zone
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Unless it’s tied in to advancing or destabilizing nearby nodes, I’m not a fan. Creating segmented pvp nodes pushes Ashes toward the already existing PvE games with partitioned PvP: wow, eso, gw2, Albion online, etc, etc, etc.

Ashes is PvX, so players and mobs make up the risk (and rewards) for making your way into the world. Creating segmented zones will erode this entire concept - turning Ashes into another wow clone.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited May 19
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Unless it’s tied in to advancing or destabilizing nearby nodes, I’m not a fan. Creating segmented pvp nodes pushes Ashes toward the already existing PvE games with partitioned PvP: wow, eso, gw2, Albion online, etc, etc, etc.

Ashes is PvX, so players and mobs make up the risk (and rewards) for making your way into the world. Creating segmented zones will erode this entire concept - turning Ashes into another wow clone.

As long as the corrupted node could be destroyed it would be fine, basically just make the specific set of circumstances difficult to achieve, hard to make, harder than normal to destroy as well.

You could make it so that while the corrupted node is max level no other node in the game can progress, but they can all still be destroyed, then add in monster coin events on all remaining nodes until the corrupted node is destroyed
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    It would
    CROW3 wrote: »

As long as the corrupted node could be destroyed it would be fine, basically just make the specific set of circumstances difficult to achieve, hard to make, harder than normal to destroy as well.

You could make it so that while the corrupted node is max level no other node in the game can progress, but they can all still be destroyed, then add in monster coin events on all remaining nodes until the corrupted node is destroyed

Probably the best way to approach it would be to have the dark node slowly destroy the surrounding nodes - resource drain, increase corruption reach, and node level degradation - then tie pvp objectives to closing the dark node (or keeping it open if it supports an enemy node’s objectives).

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    kinda been daydreaming of a system like that, maybe player killing can lead to a lawless node where you're automatically flagged for pvp in that nodes region, or even a desiccated node from getting stomped into the ground by the other node in open world pvp.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    They said int he last live stream they aren't going to do anything like this. Only way i could see it working atm until things change is if the node citizens are auto flagged as purple. That is as far as a dark node gets.