Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can we got banned on Alpha-2 for using exploits?

Sometimes when you already found bug or exploit you can go futher and find more
So question is:
Is it real to ge banned for using exploits on A2 that
1) Affect economy?
2) Affect other players in pvp/pve
3) Drop server
4) Your point in comments

Comments

• Options
    Surely Alpha-2 is where they want you to find the exploits?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you find a bug in an alpha, report it, then explore it further.

If they see you exploiting a bug you have not reported, they have no way of knowing if you intended to report it or not - and so a ban is valid.

If they see you exploiting a bug in an alpha but see that you have reported it - especially if in that report you state that you plan to explore it further, then they have no reason to ban you.

This does not hold true for bugs that can cause the server to crash, if you find them, report them and leave it at that.

I really fail to see a reason you would find a bug in an alpha (or live game) and not instantly report it. It isn't as if they are going to fix it immediately, so you have time to explore it a bit.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    If you find a bug in an alpha, report it, then explore it further.

If they see you exploiting a bug you have not reported, they have no way of knowing if you intended to report it or not - and so a ban is valid.

If they see you exploiting a bug in an alpha but see that you have reported it - especially if in that report you state that you plan to explore it further, then they have no reason to ban you.

This does not hold true for bugs that can cause the server to crash, if you find them, report them and leave it at that.

I really fail to see a reason you would find a bug in an alpha (or live game) and not instantly report it. It isn't as if they are going to fix it immediately, so you have time to explore it a bit.

Sounds fair
    Hope admins have same view on topic
    But we don't know yet
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you don't report the exploits - maybe.
    And... the devs will typically state which known exploits are bannable if you continue to use them.

I think A1 had a Gold drop exploit. Primarily the ones who initiated the Gold drop were the ones who were banned, but...
    Once we knew that it was not the devs initiating the Gold drop for testing purposes.... it's not OK to take advantage of the exploit when/if it reoccurs.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    If there is any place where you would want players to double and triple down on exploits its during the Alpha. Obviously (to me) that excludes breaching the terms of service regarding Real Money Transactions and maybe exploits through player abuse.

As for things like Bots: I just hope Intrepid has a professional team try to break those into the game to gather data on bot behavior or to have key players, verified humans to build a decent database on how humans act in contrast to machines. Someting like that. Exploiting a security breach to bot as an Alpha Player should still have consequences.

In general however, I think as long as you report the exploits you found that can break the game, you are in the clear.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    As for things like Bots: I just hope Intrepid has a professional team try to break those into the game to gather data on bot behavior …

I hate bots, too, but at a minimum entry of $75 (USD) for most Alpha-2 players, I don’t think we’re going to see bots during this testing session.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    Kilion wrote: »
    As for things like Bots: I just hope Intrepid has a professional team try to break those into the game to gather data on bot behavior …

I hate bots, too, but at a minimum entry of $75 (USD) for most Alpha-2 players, I don’t think we’re going to see bots during this testing session.

Agreed, but since Intrepid needs to develop their security systems to identify and eliminate them, I think it would make sense for them to try and invade the Alpha with bots themselves.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I think Intrepid has common sens as well... Wouldn't make sens to report a bug and get banned. Even if it's a known bug and you exploit it, they just have to fix their game. Until then, see how far the bug can go 😉
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    If you find them and report them im sure it be fine but if u find them and exploit them definetly not tbh
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Chastiefol wrote: »
    Can we got banned on Alpha-2 for using exploits ?

Curious Question : why would You want to even use Exploits in the first Place ? But to be completely honest,

i don't really care about Exploits or not - AS LONG AS - it doesn't create an unfair Advantage against Someone else. And since Alpha Two is not even the finished Game, i wouldn't mind if someone actually does. It's not a Reason to get upset about Unfairness because it is not the finished Game.

If i could use an " Exploit " - > to give me a Lift in exploring the World - > reaching Places i could never reach without a flying Mount or something else,

then i don't mind at all. In fact i welcome everything that helps this eternal Discovery-Adventurer inside me.

But imagine the Game would be finished one Day. It might happen before we die in Reallife. No Sarcasm here.

When you get swindled, scammed, cheated by some Competition so that You for Example can not get a Tavern, Freehold, whatever else it is in the Game that You would eagerly like to have,

and You simply are prevented from getting it, just because someone cheated - then i can promise You with great Confidence that you don't want that People can use Exploits against you. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Just to reiterate: Alpha 2 is not a game, it’s a testing period. You need to find exploits report them, and retest them once Intrepid publishes their retest focus.

You are not playing early access Ashes.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In my humble opinion, they should reward players for finding Alpha 2 exploits, not ban them. Because in this way a huge number of bugs and dupes will be discovered.
  • Options
    findig exploits is part of the alpha job, and filling forms, you are not there for "playing to win" at the game
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member
    If your actions interfere with other testers' ability to test, I hope you are banned from doing so.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Lineager wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, they should reward players for finding Alpha 2 exploits, not ban them. Because in this way a huge number of bugs and dupes will be discovered.

So they should be reward for exploiting until its fixed even if it is at the cost of a server wipe from over use? Asking since post is directed towards more exploiting then simply finding it and testing some elements of it to give proper feedback.
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »

So they should be reward for exploiting until its fixed even if it is at the cost of a server wipe from over use? Asking since post is directed towards more exploiting then simply finding it and testing some elements of it to give proper feedback.

Whoever first reports a bug, dupe, or exploit receives a reward. Others will not be given a reward for the same report.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 16
    For using serious exploits and deliberately not reporting them, sure, a ban might be in order, Like, discovering a duping exploit and keeping it to yourself. That should be a perma-ban if found out.

As long as people report the exploits and don't overuse them if they are big and it thus seriously affects the quality of the testing, it's all good IMO. I know Intrepid has said they don't want to wipe often, and I hope so as well, but realistically I think we are going to have many wipes in A2 anyway, so any damage from exploits will be limited.
  • Options
    honestly if theres a serious exploit and you are found exploiting it should just have your whole A2 account reset and a strike put against your account and then 2-3 strikes your account is permabanned till release / the next full A2 wipe.

obviously for really bad exploits perma ban off the bat but other ones where a bunch of people are doing it and its not too gamebreaking then a account reset wouldnt hurt
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    My self, if I found a bug I would just report it and try and find everyway to exploit it. Everything I learned I would just report. If you fear this process. Testing may not be for you. Testing is all about transparency. If you struggle with that. Don't test. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    Korela wrote: »
    If your actions interfere with other testers' ability to test, I hope you are banned from doing so.

You see, these are exactly the kinds of things that we need people to be doing, so that they can be fixed. The more things the Alpha-2 testers break, the better the game will be on launch. And that's what we're all after.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please find them. Please report them. And please don't abuse them outside testing reasons.
    Chastiefol wrote: »
    Sounds fair
    Hope admins have same view on topic
    But we don't know yet

I can guarantee you that they have the same viewpoint. The dude that was in Alpha1 that hacked the GM scripts and flooded the server with gold and didn't report it got banned. If they would have reported it and didn't completely ruin the economy, then they wouldn't have gotten banned.
    h2vohwwirjqd.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Korela wrote: »

You see, these are exactly the kinds of things that we need people to be doing, so that they can be fixed.

No, that doesn't make sense. If you allow someone to abuse product defects that prevent other testers from testing, you are effectively blocking the ability to find currently unknown bugs. This principle provides less knowledge about bugs than allowing known bugs to be reproduced uncontrollably.
    Although I agree with the second part of the message.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited June 17
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Just to reiterate: Alpha 2 is not a game, it’s a testing period. You need to find exploits report them, and retest them once Intrepid publishes their retest focus.

You are not playing early access Ashes.

And yet it gives People hope that the Game will even get finished someday at all, lol.

I am aware that Narc is not right when he says " a Game that quite literally doesn't exist " . - but i get why he keeps saying it like that.

What is this ? Duke Nuke Forever all over again ? lol
    The only Part on all of this which makes this REALLY annoying is the Fact - that we all know -> if Sir Steven and his mighty Crew don't have/use as much Time as they do,

then Ashes will never become the amazing MMO they plan it to be. So it simply can't be helped. :sweat_smile:

Meanwhile,
    Worst of Warcraft with it's more than "FAT" belly brings out the next Expansion and continues to more or less flourish, after ruining the Legacy of Warcraft III and turning Characters like Sylvanas into a complete Disaster.

It's been Years since i last got the Energy and Motivation to still be pissed about the Situation. How many People's Bodies "gave out" by now, since they bought Pre-Order Stuff for Ashes since 2018 ? ;)

This Period of being an MMO Lover among VideoGamers feels like being punished for loving MMO's.

And the only Reason to not lose my Sanity - > like it happened to Narc (lol) - is to not care. I feel the nauseating Vibe of Cynism, Apathy and Stoicism trying to completely envelop my disappointed Heart and let it rot.

I refuse to let that disgusting Feeling win.

I think of Alpha Two as a Cure. A Cure before whatever is left of me that loved MMO's for Years and Years, finally turns into a rotting Corpse which the Undead Characters in my Signatur and Avatar can not keep up with.

At this Point i would embrace nearly everything.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I feel the nauseating Vibe of Cynism, Apathy and Stoicism trying to completely envelop my disappointed Heart and let it rot.

believe-motivation.gif
  • Options
    GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Whoever first reports a bug, dupe, or exploit receives a reward. Others will not be given a reward for the same report.

Kingdom of Loathing had this as a guiding philosophy since its launch many years ago, and after an initial flurry of bug bounty swords given out, the rewards have become incredibly rare due to the impact of reporting and patching all those holes.

I strongly believe that giving out a unique reward for being the first to report an exploit results in a safer code base.
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!