Consternation surrounding the 8x8 Class system and how to move forward.

12346»

Comments

• Dygz wrote: »
    Rippley wrote: »
    A player who is excited to be a Paladin is not going to be satisfied by a Tank that has Cleric themed abilities. Their expectation is that combining Tank and Cleric yields an entirely unique class. The unique and flavorful names given to each of the class combinations reinforces the idea that they will stand out as unique and flavorful classes that have their OWN unique abilities.
    I don't know how that can be the expectation for Ashes when there has never been any confusion that the labels for Classes are mostly thematic for the combo of Primary and Secondary Archetype.

The whole point of a Primary Archetype is that it will be the primary aspect of the character's combat role.
    In the sense that, by design, Ashes is balanced for an 8-person Group with one of each Primary Archetype.

Thematic is probably a better term than "flavor".
    I don't know what you mean by "OWN unique abilities" when the primary aspect of the Class ability will be the Primary Archetype Active SKill modified significantly with an Augment.

I think you're right here - If anyone remembers the game "RIFT" from a few years back, there were many combinations of class and theme to choose from and they all had signature abilities with precious few themed abilities that added any real variety to playstyles.
    Hunters were hunters, Clerics were clerics, with the only variety being whether you were hitting occasionally in melee range while healing or standing at range while exclusively healing.
    I think phrasing 64 possible combinations as "classes" was marketing spin and our reality will be somewhat different but I'm still eager to try out a number of different themes to see which I like to play most.
    Almost all modern games are all about the meta build for maximum damage or efficiency but I won't care which one is meta, I'll play one one I enjoy the most.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Yep. I agree. It's totally fine to share feedback now regarding the mechanics you hope your Class will have.

The major disconnect is with the accusation: "To be quite honest I'm growing a little impatient with people who engage with these questions by citing back to the commenter CHAPTER and VERSE on what Ashes is or isn't."
    It's really no different than the newbies who jump into the Forums and demand that the Corruption system is flawed and needs to be changed or who demand that the devs must include a PvE server or be doomed to failure.
    And then complain about the people who say - "Well, we should test the devs vision, first, before we demand changes."

"Nightblade should combine the aspects of Fighter and Rogue into something unique. If it DOESNT do that, then dont bother with the multi-class archetypes at all."
    It's OK to share that opinion above here.
    Just as it's fine for people to say they want to play Ashes on a PvE-Only server.
    But, expect veterans to respond with - "That doesn't fit the game design philosophy for Ashes".

Yeah but telling the devs what your expectations are for a system they havent started implementing yet is not the same as asking for a pve server
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 11
    They have started implementing their Class system.
    They have implemented 6 of the 8 Primary Archetypes.

They are not going to drastically change their design before they implement Secondary Archetypes.
    Especially not when the design also includes Augments from Social Orgs, Religions, Races and Nodes.

Always great to share what your dream system would be.
    But, yes... it's not different than sharing expectations for the devs to have a PvE-Only Server - since they haven't started implementing Server types yet. Plenty of time left in development for the devs to add a PvE-Only server if they wanted to.