Removing Waypoints During Questing: A More Immersive Exploration?

2»

Comments

• Laetitian wrote: »
    If it's a consistent design philosophy, players know the effort and reward associated with unique versus repeatable quests.

True story
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »
    This is actually something you definitely couldn’t do, because Ashes is a competitive game, even with some of the questing. If only X people can complete a quest (such as with particular gathering tasks) then the people using the UI pointers is going to get it done faster.

Why should it interfere with the competitive Nature of the Game at all when the competitive Part is completely voluntarily ? ;)

there is no need to compete with anyone if You choose not do so so. ;)

You have some fundamental misunderstanding of what ‘competitive’ means (and a misunderstanding of Ashes of Creation’s design pillars) if you genuinely think either of these statements are true
  • Also removing waypoints will prevent of player doing exactly the same exp pattern and skipping half of the map/content
  • HeljyHeljy Member
    I personally enjoy games without GPS. In my opinion, quests should be written so that they can be completed without the help of a goal marker. I remember that in the early days, this was the case for WoW and I remember the scenario of the most part of the quests that I did so.

In fact, I consider that the assistance in quests destroys immersion in the universe, and prevents from telling stories that create common among players.

What’s more, I think it would be wise to replace objectives like "kill 5 goblins" by "exterminate the goblins". the objective would be the same, but it would give a different identity to the quests, and break the routine side.

Example for "kill 5 goblins":
    - Attack the goblin camp
    - Avenge the captain who
    - eradicate the goblins
  • eruiluvatareruiluvatar Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree, If the game is designed in a certain way, not having GPS could be an amazing gameplay mechanic.

I kind of doubt that Ashes is gunning for the kind of audience that would enjoy this exclusively though.

IMO it would make the most sense to implement several quests with that kind of design (and perhaps also have a more interesting story), while also having , perhaps "more generic" quests as well (that will probably not be read properly).

Personally I do prefer all quests being well written stories that have to be navigated in world by carefully reading the quests and asking nearby npcs etc.
    tenor.gif