Hearthstones and Pistols: Discussion

Hey Gang!
Couple questions if you have the time.
1) and easiest to answer: do you have a hearthstone mechanic planned for Ashes? I know there’s a big emphasis on travel being a mechanic in the game, but the more I think about it, the harder it is to imagine a modern game without some type of travel connivence (Flight paths or a hearthstone)

2) HOW CAN WE GET PISTOLS IN THE GAME??? You guys are building the best pirate simulator since black flag and sea of thieves and yet players don’t have access to pistols??? That’s monstrous (mostly kidding <3) but seriously that seems like the perfect inclusion. I know Steven has mentioned there won’t be gun powder in ashes, but has the team considered something like an arcane pistol? I was thinking maybe the pistol COULD be an alternate skin for the wand. That way you wouldn’t need a new skill tree. I feel like that would satisfy so many fantasies. I would start a petition TODAY to get that in the game.

Thanks again for the hard work and looking forward to the live show tomorrow!

Comments

• I’d love to hear community feedback! Especially on the pistols. How essential do you think pistols are to a true high seas pirate fantasy?
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    No guns, this is high fantasy. Steven also does not have a love for steam punk or gun powered weapons in high fantasy.
  • High fantasy (or epic fantasy) is a fantasy subgenre in which the story takes place in a setting very unlike Earth and deals with world-threatening forces. The story might feature fantastic creatures, historic or unusual technologies, magical elements, and other unearthly elements.

To me magical guns would fit right in! From my understanding high fantasy usually just means lots of magic and not set on earth.
    RonDog98 wrote: »
    High fantasy (or epic fantasy) is a fantasy subgenre in which the story takes place in a setting very unlike Earth and deals with world-threatening forces. The story might feature fantastic creatures, historic or unusual technologies, magical elements, and other unearthly elements.

To me magical guns would fit right in! From my understanding high fantasy usually just means lots of magic and not set on earth.

Sure if said weapon would fit in. Why would you want a weapon that looks, acts like a gun that you need to load with magic ammo, when you can just use a wand that hurls chunks of ice or molten metal? And never needs to be reloaded? Same with a Cannon on a ship. It real high fantasy, why would you not pick the weapon that is like a large wand? What you are asking for at that point is a style over what the world is built on. Magic. Most fantasy stories that have guns as well. Is because everyone does not have access to magic. In Verra, everyone does.
  • What it doesn’t have to reloaded? It has an infinite magic power source just like the wand. It would shoot energy based projectiles! And would fit right in to arcane engineering.
    What it doesn’t have to reloaded? It has an infinite magic power source just like the wand. It would shoot energy based projectiles! And would fit right in to arcane engineering.

Lore wise, whats the advantage? Why would a culture make one? When everyone has access to magic?
  • Okay that’s a very good point. Lore wise, I’m not sure why they would be invented and I guess anytime you introduce anything with a more tech undertone there probably should be a bit of explanation? But at the same time, what’s the reason wands we’re invented? Wands are basically guns in stick form is the only reason I don’t think it would be too much to suspend disbelief for the fantasy of a buccaneer/pirate.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I suppose adding this to the game would have something to do with coming here from Sanctus. Did Sanctus have guns? Where we able to bring anything through the portal to Verra? Do we even have memories of Sanctus, or any knowledge of how to craft such a weapon?
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • iccericcer Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    What it doesn’t have to reloaded? It has an infinite magic power source just like the wand. It would shoot energy based projectiles! And would fit right in to arcane engineering.

Lore wise, whats the advantage? Why would a culture make one? When everyone has access to magic?

Tbf you could always make something up.

Let's say, magic doesn't work in water, or has lower effective range that it can be used at. I mean, if they ever do want to add stuff like that in the future, it's possible to "adjust" the lore.

I'm assuming we will have cannons for naval combat, so having pistols isn't too far off.
  • KilionKilion Member
    edited August 29
    Hearthstones, to my knowledge, are not planned. I could only imagine those as VERY expensive, craftable, droppable, one time use consumables for Arcane Engineering.
    As a permanently and freely usable tool of convenience, this cannot be implemented, it would cripple the economy, because paying a guild to use their Hearthstones to transport low quantity, high value goods by teleportation rather than caravan would rip apart the economic system at the upper end, devaluing everthing that goes into the production line of these high value goods.

So introduction of ANY type of easy, convenient travelling would be a deathblow to this game and therefore has to be avoided. And if any of those will be introduced this will mark the beginning of the end. (And yes, it is that dramatic)
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • SrixunSrixun Member
    No guns, this is high fantasy. Steven also does not have a love for steam punk or gun powered weapons in high fantasy.

No guns!
  • Kilion wrote: »
    As a permanently and freely usable tool of convenience, this cannot be implemented, it would cripple the economy, because paying a guild to use their Hearthstones to transport low quantity, high value goods by teleportation rather than caravan would rip apart the economic system at the upper end, devaluing everthing that goes into the production line of these high value goods.

What about simply allowing a hearthstone as long as you don’t have any useable crafting resources in your inventory?

This seems like a pretty easy thing to implement without breaking the core philosophy of the game. Hell, even make it a day long cool down.
    iccer wrote: »

Let's say, magic doesn't work in water, or has lower effective range that it can be used at. I mean, if they ever do want to add stuff like that in the future, it's possible to "adjust" the lore.

I'm assuming we will have cannons for naval combat, so having pistols isn't too far off.

Sure, forget just hand guns. Lets make magic machine guns, AR14, Rocket launchers and grenade launchers that all shoot magic ammo. Lore and the asteictics of the world you are trying to make matters. You want that type of game play, there is games that do that. Why make Ashes into a different game?
  • nanfoodle wrote: »

Sure, forget just hand guns. Lets make magic machine guns, AR14, Rocket launchers and grenade launchers that all shoot magic ammo. Lore and the asteictics of the world you are trying to make matters. You want that type of game play, there is games that do that. Why make Ashes into a different game?

I would argue that since ships will already have either magic or potion cannons, a magic hand gun is hardly a stretch.

I would argue that since ships will already have either magic or potion cannons, a magic hand gun is hardly a stretch.

Sure, come up with a design for a handgun that fits the game Aesthetics. Come up with a lore that make sense why someone would make one. :)
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    They said no to pistols or anything that looks like them.
  • CawwCaww Member
    New World covers both firearms, fast travel and fantasy/magic so it's always an option...
  • Guild Wars 2 is a fantasy world and yet they have rifles and pistols. It doesn't change the fantasy setting IMO. But Intrepid doesn't see that that way and it's okay.

Fantasy isn't just magical components in the world. There are things that are natural like trees, herbs, water physics, etc. They clearly can mix rifles and pistols and implement them well, but they don't want to. I think it would be great to create a future archetype, but let's see how they develop their game.
  • RonDog98 wrote: »
    I’d love to hear community feedback!

Especially on the pistols.

How essential do you think pistols are to a true high seas pirate fantasy ?

It might not be impossible for Pistols to come out in a future Expansion of the Game, in Case Ashes of Creation will ever get some Expansions.

But i wouldn't count on it anytime soon in the next Years. :sweat_smile:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • Aszkalon wrote: »

It might not be impossible for Pistols to come out in a future Expansion of the Game, in Case Ashes of Creation will ever get some Expansions.

UGH BUT THINK OF THE PIRATE FANTASY :(
  • OtrOtr Member
    I’d love to hear community feedback! Especially on the pistols. How essential do you think pistols are to a true high seas pirate fantasy?

I wouldn't mind them added decorative pistols and related animations and attempt to use them and see how they don't work properly on this side of the portal. But maybe they were not using pistols there either.
    I expect the ships to have some defense to protect their hull and some anti ship weapons to replace the cannons with something. I've seen long time ago the potion launcher being mentioned. Maybe it will replace cannons successfully.
    For me the most important is the gameplay, not having the guns.
    I am ok with a universe like in old rpg games.
    What I don't like is people carrying in their inventory mounts and ships, pulling them out from their pockets and mounting them. Pulling them out from the inventory of a stable or a dockhouse is ok.
  • KilionKilion Member
    Kilion wrote: »

What about simply allowing a hearthstone as long as you don’t have any useable crafting resources in your inventory?

This seems like a pretty easy thing to implement without breaking the core philosophy of the game. Hell, even make it a day long cool down.

Then you still take away a lot of traffic from all the dynamic world events happening all around.

Why would you even want a mechanic to skip the very thing you are paying for: The game's world?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 30

What you seem to want here is a differently shaped wand.

As to your idea for a "call home" mechanic, that goes against what Ashes is.

Steven wants you to look at going from one part of the world to another as a form of gameplay. The fact that even a game as low quality (in gameplay terms) as WoW understands that traveling isn't gameplay doesn't come in to play here.
  • OtrOtr Member
    Hey Gang!
    Couple questions if you have the time.
    1) and easiest to answer: do you have a hearthstone mechanic planned for Ashes? I know there’s a big emphasis on travel being a mechanic in the game, but the more I think about it, the harder it is to imagine a modern game without some type of travel connivence (Flight paths or a hearthstone)
    I see from other posts that a hearthstone means teleportation.
    There will be a family summon mechanic to help players in a group join together when they start playing.
    You will not be able to transport resources this way.

Also scientific nodes will allow fast travel
    If there are multiple scientific metropolises, then an airship will provide faster travel between those scientific metropolises for citizens of those nodes and their vassal nodes, so long as the metropolises are not at war.[2]

I think the wiki matches with my expectations. A little of fast travel bit but not much.
    People will be bound together by where they play more often. That is a game pillar
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_interaction
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Design_pillars
    and lack of teleportation helps achieving that.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aszkalon wrote: »

You're focusing on the pirate fantasy and not the overarching story and theme of the world verras in.

We could get pistols in an expansion but for now they just don't fit and Steven doesn't want them in his story.
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • RonDog98 wrote: »

There were pirates before pistols were invented.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Kilion wrote: »
    So introduction of ANY type of easy, convenient travelling would be a deathblow to this game and therefore has to be avoided. And if any of those will be introduced this will mark the beginning of the end. (And yes, it is that dramatic)

Liiiiiike, the Family Summon, for example....?

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • iccericcer Member

Bruh. I never suggested that I want to add this, or have gone nearly as far as you went with your example.

I just pointed out, that it's not so impossible to add, if they ever decide to do so, because you can always make up lore.

Also, to be clear, I don't want these added.

People just need to read, and stop assuming things, but it seems impossible on these forums.
  • iccer wrote: »

Bruh. I never suggested that I want to add this, or have gone nearly as far as you went with your example.

I just pointed out, that it's not so impossible to add, if they ever decide to do so, because you can always make up lore.

Also, to be clear, I don't want these added.

People just need to read, and stop assuming things, but it seems impossible on these forums.

I think it was the "cannon" part in your message.

"Ship weapons can damage both players and structures.[4]
    Damage done by ship weapons such as potion launchers will generate threat.[5]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Naval_combat

• KilionKilion Member
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Kilion wrote: »

Liiiiiike, the Family Summon, for example....?

Valid point, that actually is something I will look into. My first impulse would be to say that this is heavily limited by the family status, but you 100% brought something noteworthy up here. I'll see what I can find on that.