List of reasons to allow Shadow computers

JeanPhilippeGungharJeanPhilippeGunghar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I know Shadow computers may have a bad reputation when it comes to MMORPGs. However, I will provide some reasons why Intrepid should allow them to log in to Ashes of Creation and let them play. Here is a list of good reasons, in my opinion:

Shadow has a 2FA option: A few months ago, Shadow introduced the option to add two-factor authentication (2FA) to our accounts. 2FA is well-known as a security standard. Perhaps Intrepid could make it a requirement to allow us onto the server? After all, who doesn’t have a mobile device these days?

Inflation and rig high price: Since the COVID pandemic, inflation has hit us hard. Food, rent, mortgages, shampoo, and so on are nearly unaffordable. The dollar where I live fluctuates between 0.70 and 0.76 of an American dollar. Most countries are in a similar situation. Computer hardware has not been spared; for example, GPU prices were at their highest during the early to mid-pandemic. Allowing Shadow could enable people like me, who are struggling financially, to pay the $15 subscription fee and play without having to spend $2,000 to $2,500 on a rig that will be outdated in a year anyway. Otherwise, it seems that only people with substantial incomes would be able to log in—essentially the elite.

Shadow has a rule against emulation: Emulation, as software that mimics a character in an MMORPG, is forbidden and leads to account termination. This means no automatic gold farming and no automatic resource farming. Who would pay $49 for the Power tier (excluding taxes) plus the $15 subscription fee for the game, and risk losing not one but two accounts?

That’s all. I would hold my breath, but…

Comments

• scottstone7scottstone7 Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I didn't even know this was a thing. If it were up to me I'd vote no to shadow computers. Those would allow for to much wiggle room for those bots and gold sellers get into to the game. Who would risk the lost of the $49 power tier and $15 subscription? Those very same people using the bots and trying to sell gold. Why would they spend all that money on multiple PC's to run their bots on if they can rent so many more PC's from that service all for the cost of buying a single PC? Sure they may have a written rule against emulation software, but do they really? How often is it monitored? How long does the bot get to run before it's caught? How often is it enforced when caught? Remember, every time they ban someone for using a bot with their systems they are either losing future potential profit themselves or more likely forcing new potential profit when the gold sellers just rent another of their systems. Gold sellers don't really care, sure they lose that $64, but how much did they make before the bot was caught and potentially banned? $500? $1000? $2000? Most likely more?

I know it sucks to be struggling financially, but there are ways. When I was younger I worked 60hrs a week job still had to sell blood for months to buy a new gaming rig. That may not be an option where you are but I'm sure if you look around and are willing there are ways. That being said, if you go ahead and at the very least take that subscription fee and set it aside every month by the time the game goes live you should have a decent amount saved towards buying a new PC already.
  • JeanPhilippeGungharJeanPhilippeGunghar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I didn't even know this was a thing. If it were up to me I'd vote no to shadow computers. Those would allow for to much wiggle room for those bots and gold sellers get into to the game. Who would risk the lost of the $49 power tier and $15 subscription? Those very same people using the bots and trying to sell gold. Why would they spend all that money on multiple PC's to run their bots on if they can rent so many more PC's from that service all for the cost of buying a single PC? Sure they may have a written rule against emulation software, but do they really? How often is it monitored? How long does the bot get to run before it's caught? How often is it enforced when caught? Remember, every time they ban someone for using a bot with their systems they are either losing future potential profit themselves or more likely forcing new potential profit when the gold sellers just rent another of their systems. Gold sellers don't really care, sure they lose that $64, but how much did they make before the bot was caught and potentially banned? $500? $1000? $2000? Most likely more?

I know it sucks to be struggling financially, but there are ways. When I was younger I worked 60hrs a week job still had to sell blood for months to buy a new gaming rig. That may not be an option where you are but I'm sure if you look around and are willing there are ways. That being said, if you go ahead and at the very least take that subscription fee and set it aside every month by the time the game goes live you should have a decent amount saved towards buying a new PC already.

Leader of men... why I'm not surprised. It's a 1000 dollars kickstarter pack. Elite strikes again.
    15 a month won't be enough if Ashes release in 2-3 years LOL. 2 x 15 is only 360 or something like 700ish. Even if I spare (that's not the problem here), my credit card has a very low limit. Far below the required 2k or 2.5.k. Secondly: Montreal do not have a computer shop to get it up, because I'm not manual at all.

• nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    As long as these vertual computers follow the same security protocols. I don't see the problem. Otherwise no ty :)
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited September 5
    You can get a gaming PC for under $1,000, or upgrade your existing rig for less.

But regardless of cost, no they absolutely should not allow anyone to play through a remote computer system. That’s a horrible idea that just invites gold sellers.

Edit: You say Montreal doesn’t have electronic shops, but even a quick google search says they have Best Buy stores up there
    Caeryl wrote: »
    You can get a gaming PC for under $1,000, or upgrade your existing rig for less.

But regardless of cost, no they absolutely should not allow anyone to play through a remote computer system. That’s a horrible idea that just invites gold sellers.

Edit: You say Montreal doesn’t have electronic shops, but even a quick google search says they have Best Buy stores up there

Some places yes. Some places no.
  • nanfoodle wrote: »

Some places yes. Some places no.

Go to those places then, because there’s no world where they open up the door to gold sellers like this.
  • scottstone7scottstone7 Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Leader of men... why I'm not surprised. It's a 1000 dollars kickstarter pack. Elite strikes again.
    15 a month won't be enough if Ashes release in 2-3 years LOL. 2 x 15 is only 360 or something like 700ish. Even if I spare (that's not the problem here), my credit card has a very low limit. Far below the required 2k or 2.5.k. Secondly: Montreal do not have a computer shop to get it up, because I'm not manual at all.

Well, I was trying to be nice and explain why it’s a bad idea then offer some somewhat obvious advice with an example from my personal experience. That said, I’ll have you know I worked my butt off since I was 14 to get where I am today, I didn’t whine about what I want and what others have. But you must be part of that super whiny needs participation trophy or your life sucks crowd. Since that’s the case, last piece of advice for you. Suck it up buttercup. Life ain’t easy and it ain’t fair. First you learn to grow up, which you don’t seem to have picked up on yet. Next thing you know everyone you love dies for some reason or another, if you’re lucky it’s old age and maybe you’ll die before you have to watch them die. Figure the rest out on your own.
    1st: In Canada no way I can get a rig for 1000 and under. Our dollar is weak (0,76 for 2 single US one)
    2nd: Best Buy is shit. They are expansive for nothing. I want a real gaming rig.
    edited September 5

Well, I was trying to be nice and explain why it’s a bad idea then offer some somewhat obvious advice with an example from my personal experience. That said, I’ll have you know I worked my butt off since I was 14 to get where I am today, I didn’t whine about what I want and what others have. But you must be part of that super whiny needs participation trophy or your life sucks crowd. Since that’s the case, last piece of advice for you. Suck it up buttercup. Life ain’t easy and it ain’t fair. First you learn to grow up, which you don’t seem to have picked up on yet. Next thing you know everyone you love dies for some reason or another, if you’re lucky it’s old age and maybe you’ll die before you have to watch them die. Figure the rest out on your own.

I have an incapacity to work. My income is low. I'm sorry if I offended you.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.

It's can run Ashes on high?
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unknown. They haven't given recommended system spec's yet. But a 4060 card should do really good.
    If you save what you can over the next year you should be ok for launch.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • 1st: In Canada no way I can get a rig for 1000 and under. Our dollar is weak (0,76 for 2 single US one)
    2nd: Best Buy is shit. They are expansive for nothing. I want a real gaming rig.

Then you need to establish some kind of income for yourself. Obviously if you have no income and bad credit, you’re not gonna be getting luxury purchases.
    1st: In Canada no way I can get a rig for 1000 and under. Our dollar is weak (0,76 for 2 single US one)

Then you need to establish some kind of income for yourself. Obviously if you have no income and bad credit, you’re not gonna be getting luxury purchases.

I have an income, but I have an incapacity to work. Income is not so high.

Ya I'm in Canada and I just replaced my CPU and Motherboard. Am4 so last gen and I dropped about $550-600 Canadian on just these two parts. Tax here is nutters. Only using a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.
  • ZehlanZehlan Member
    edited September 5

Absolute b*llsh*t! You can get something used or refurbished that would run AoC for under 500 canadian np! I am also a little confused with your statements? You say you are too poor to get a computer to play ashes but on the other hand you only want a "REAL GAMING RIG"!
    Zehlan wrote: »

Absolute b*llsh*t! You can get something used or refurbished that would run AoC for under 500 canadian np! I am also a little confused with your statements? You say you are too poor to get a computer to play ashes but on the other hand you only want a "REAL GAMING RIG"!

WOW why do people assume over asking questions? First off. Do you live in Canada? I have been to the USA recently. It's shocking the price difference. TV I bought in Canada was when you include taxes was 40% cheaper in the states. Go look up right now on Canadian sites AM4 gaming parts. Not standard pc parts but gaming quality parts. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X is my CPU and norms for about $300 with tax. Used about 180. When I bought my 4070 I paid new just over 1k. My 2060 card I sold used for $350 bucks. That was about 6 or 7 months ago
    nanfoodle wrote: »

WOW why do people assume over asking questions? First off. Do you live in Canada? I have been to the USA recently. It's shocking the price difference. TV I bought in Canada was when you include taxes was 40% cheaper in the states. Go look up right now on Canadian sites AM4 gaming parts. Not standard pc parts but gaming quality parts. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X is my CPU and norms for about $300 with tax. Used about 180. When I bought my 4070 I paid new just over 1k. My 2060 card I sold used for $350 bucks. That was about 6 or 7 months ago

At last someone with common sense.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Without trying to sound insensitive, you aren't really in a position to demand high settings.
    Noaani wrote: »

Without trying to sound insensitive, you aren't really in a position to demand high settings.

I know I'm not part of the elite Steven is targeting (psychologist, doctor, dentist, things like that).
  • ZehlanZehlan Member
    edited September 5

I am going by the info he has provided he stated he has a low income and "wants a real gaming rig" but also claims you can't get a rig to game on for under a 1000 dollars in canada which is a pile of BS. . Yes I do live in canada and I understand how much parts are I build my own computers used to do it for work at one time.

Here ya go 23 min drive from montreal to vanier. Oh and just an FYI if you pay with visa you can do 12 equal payments at that place.
    https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_4527_1448&item_id=211036

I know I'm not part of the elite Steven is targeting (psychologist, doctor, dentist, things like that).

Nothing to do with that.

The bulk of the people that play MMORPG's at the top end don't do so with a good computer. Even those that have a good computer tend to turn the graphics settings down, as all the flash and shit just gets in the way.

RIght now, on Newegg.CA you can get a 5700X3D and 32gb ram for $315, a fan for $30, a suitable motherboard for $100, a reputable power supply for $75, SSD for $45, and a case for $60.

The above is $620, and all you need to do is add a second hand GPU - which you can get something servicable for $250 - 300.

While it isn't top of the line, it also isn't entry level (despite everything being at least a generation old at this point). It will run Ashes when it releases (assuming it's still on UE5) at reasonable settings at 1440p.

So, you are right that it probably isn't possible to get something viable for under $500, but it is possible to get something for around $850-900, and the above is all without actually shopping around (one website).

The problems start coming - imo - when someone that can't get that starts also demanding high settings.
    I will buy one I pay in 12 equal payments. Thanks everyone!

I am going by the info he has provided he stated he has a low income and "wants a real gaming rig" but also claims you can't get a rig to game on for under a 1000 dollars in canada which is a pile of BS. . Yes I do live in canada and I understand how much parts are I build my own computers used to do it for work at one time.

Here ya go 23 min drive from montreal to vanier. Oh and just an FYI if you pay with visa you can do 12 equal payments at that place.
    https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_4527_1448&item_id=211036

Now add 18% tax your at $1180. Dont forget recycling fee's we have in most provinces, that does not show up till your at the register. =-)
    edited September 5

RIght now, on Newegg.CA you can get a 5700X3D and 32gb ram for $315, a fan for $30, a suitable motherboard for $100, a reputable power supply for $75, SSD for $45, and a case for $60.

The above is $620, and all you need to do is add a second hand GPU - which you can get something servicable for $250 - 300.

While it isn't top of the line, it also isn't entry level (despite everything being at least a generation old at this point). It will run Ashes when it releases (assuming it's still on UE5) at reasonable settings at 1440p.

So, you are right that it probably isn't possible to get something viable for under $500, but it is possible to get something for around $850-900, and the above is all without actually shopping around (one website).

The problems start coming - imo - when someone that can't get that starts also demanding high settings.

Did you remember to add in a copy of windows? Tax, recycling fees?
    edited September 5
    Im am happy to build my PC and I love building PCs. The OP here is saying PCs are expensive for him and there is many places in the world its even harder. $1000 PC at $15 a month for a shadow computer is 66 months of renting a shadow computer. How many upgrades will you make if you own a PC over 66 months? Again thats a 1k PC without taking into account taxes. So it would be more then 66 months.
  • ZehlanZehlan Member
    edited September 5
    Im am happy to build my PC and I love building PCs. The OP here is saying PCs are expensive for him and there is many places in the world its even harder. $1000 PC at $15 a month for a shadow computer is 66 months of renting a shadow computer. How many upgrades will you make if you own a PC over 66 months? Again thats a 1k PC without taking into account taxes. So it would be more then 66 months.

I am guessing you have never been poor or broke lol. For starters with the 500 dollar computer it's pretty simple most companies will sell their older computers in lots at auction and used computer stores buy them. So you can go get an old 6th to 10th gen intel i5 to i7 for example for 200 to 300 bucks it will come with windows and be fully working. Buy a decent graphics card used or new you can get a rtx 2070 for a 200 off market place. So 500 bucks your playin Ashes on decent settings!

Oh and what shit province do u live in that has 18% tax?

Did you remember to add in a copy of windows? Tax, recycling fees?

Don't need to pay for Windows if you can accept a watermark on your screen - which, again, is a solution if you don't have the money.

If tax and additional fees arn't listed on a Canadian website selling to Canadians, that seems like a "your country" issue.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Secondly: Montreal do not have a computer shop to get it up, because I'm not manual at all.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/
    Appears to sell hardware pieces and has location(s) in Montreal