Food and Food Buffs

Will there be vegetarian and vegan food for the vegetarian and vegan community?

Buffs:
A lot of MMOs center cooking around meat being the main source of protein with each type of meat when prepared in many different ways give different stat bonuses. It would deter a lot of players from wanting to take up cooking or eating specific foods for specific buffs which could be important. Which sequentially would prevent players from being welcomed in a party because min/maxers wouldn't allow unbuffed players.

Fantasy and Immersion:
Plant based cooking would allow players to insert themselves in the game and help others roleplay elves, druidic classes, hunters, Chefs, perhaps even priests who wouldn't want to harm natural animals.

Stats Bonuses:
Hypothetically, for every +10 str. stated meat dish could have a +10 str. stat bean/lentil dish.

Meat dish: Meat, Beans, Potatoes, Magical bug legs (or w/e)
Vegetarian dish: Lentils, Magical flowers, Nuts, Kale.

Anyway, Thanks for reading. I really hope to be able to place myself in the game entirely, as well as probably others. My wife and I unfortunately never pick up fishing or cooking unless it's to feed our pet in World of Warcraft Classic and we both love cooking in our home.

Comments

• LodrigLodrig Member
    edited September 10
    I'm sure their will be non-meat recipies, but I think it is unlikely that they will be a vegitarian equivilent alternative to of every recipie as that would make too many gathering professions in hunting and fishing redundant.

Players wishing to RolePlay may just need to utilize a subset of available recipies and plan their play around what types of bonusues they provide, I would expect the highest levels of bonuses would still be accessible, but likely not all KINDS, so vegan elfs Dextarity bonus might be maxed from that tripple decker Carrot cake, but not their Strength.

BtW Dose anyone find it odd that Cooking is listed under processing and not Crafting? Cooking makes final products ready for consumption, and is itself consuming some processed goods like flour so it really seems to be that it's misplaced. Being under processing also puts the top tier crafting stations for it out in Freeholds rather then in Nodes which just seems odd as it runs contrary to fine dining being a thing found in urban areas.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    As usual, gonna ask a few things so I know that I understand.

You don't seem to be complaining that the game has no veg options, it's that you expect to need the boosts that meat, specifically, gives (I'm checking if you just happened to play a lot of games where there aren't even non-meat or fish options generally).

You seem to want there to be direct analogs for the same effects? But maybe not? You then mention min maxing groups and so on.

So it's not clear if you'd find it acceptable to have alternate effects on those things, such as Physical Penetration or cooldown reduction that would lead to different, but viable, 'Vegan builds', or if you will only be satisfied if you can get the exact same stats on an alternate, vegan version of the same food.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• iccericcer Member
    edited September 10
    First off, I don't even know if this is a serious or a troll post.

I don't want to sound offensive or anything, even though it's probably going to come across that way, and I'm going to try and choose my words here, but I think this whole post is just pointless.

Do you want this just because you want to roleplay as a vegan in game, or does your choice in real life matter so much to you that the game has to cater to you and your choices?
    Because one of these options is way more unhinged than the other.

If you just wanted this in game, because you are an RP player and you want your character to be a vegan, then I guess it would be whatever. If they have the time, and if it doesn't take a lot of effort to do so, they could do something like that. But I don't know if this game is really meant for that level of roleplay, especially where other players have so much influence over your gameplay.
    My wife and I unfortunately never pick up fishing or cooking unless it's to feed our pet in World of Warcraft Classic and we both love cooking in our home.

This leads me to believe it's the 2nd option though.

It would deter a lot of players from wanting to take up cooking or eating specific foods for specific buffs which could be important.

No it wouldn't, it's only going to deter a very tiny minority of players, like yourself. I'd even go as far to say majority of vegans wouldn't care so much about this either. So should they do it just to make a few dozen players happy? No.

I'm not going to go into your real life choices, as they could be for various reasons, most of which simply do not translate into the game, as it's a fantasy world, that has little connection to the real world.

Even if 5% of the playerbase are vegan in real life, I simply doubt many would go as far as to not only avoid meat IN A VIDEO GAME, and also avoid cooking or interacting with it, but also to ask the game to solve that issue for them.

Actually, you will probably have some soups that don't have any meat in them, or a few other vegan/vegetarian dishes, salads and what not.
    They really do not have to be on par with other "meta" options that have meat in them. After all, it's your choice if you want to roleplay that way, or if you want to be as efficient as possible. You cannot have both.
    I mean this just sounds so self-centered, asking the game to cater to you in this way. What's next, we should ask Intrepid to allow us to level up without killing anything in the world, because that's my choice in real life and I want to roleplay like that in game?
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    OP, will you kill non humanoid mobs to level up?
    Curious to see if such topics get any serious notice.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    Stats Bonuses:
    Hypothetically, for every +10 str. stated meat dish could have a +10 str. stat bean/lentil dish.
    They could, but they shouldn't.

First of all Steven has been fairly clear about keeping real world politics out of Ashes - and veganism as it is in the world today is more of a political issue than a dietry one.

Second, in game production isn't about anything more than an even distribution of the work required to get the items and consumables players want and use, and so any time you add in a means to get the same result but without using one of the professions that would otherwise be needed, you are sidelining that profession.

In a manner similar to the real world, perhaps we could get characters with the animal handling profession to clear out the millions of rodents that need to be killed off in order to guarantee the success of high protein plants - that could be a way to keep them involved (this is sarcasm, even if it is what happens for real).
  • Why are people complaining? This wouldn't add any dev time and would make people happy. Yall are bringing politics into a chat about veganism SMH.
    k06ntelshhej.png
    Blackrock Guard
    Guild Forum Post
  • OP, will you kill non humanoid mobs to level up?

What does veganism have to do with that? Do y'all get off making strawmen?
    k06ntelshhej.png
    Blackrock Guard
    Guild Forum Post
    Why are people complaining? This wouldn't add any dev time and would make people happy. Yall are bringing politics into a chat about veganism SMH.

I'm specifically not, I'm talking about gameplay.

If I can get a 10 str buff using just items grown in a field, or I can get a different 10 str buff using items grown in the field and also items from raising and butchering farm animals, only one of them makes sense to use in a game.

Also, veganism is almost exclusively a political issue. Don't go accusing people of bringing politics in to an issue that is already mostly a political issue.
  • This entire thread has made my day.

Thank you so much! :D
    Too bad, you lose! The correct sequence was blood - blood - blood.
  • FlankerFlanker Member, Alpha Two
    edited September 11
    If you follow that path, you will trigger 100x more of such requests:
    1. Players from India might complain about getting beef from cows
    2. Muslims and Jews could complain about pork in recipes
    3. Religious people could complain about in-game religion (there was actually a topic about it already)
    4. People with arachnophobia could complain about spiders
    5. Environmental activists could complain about players chopping down the trees
    And so on and so forth

While I don't mind all that taken into consideration, this would never stop. And I still hope to play Ashes of Creation before I die.

P.S. Obviously, meaning to offence to anyone
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Will there be vegetarian and vegan food for the vegetarian and vegan community?
    Vegetarian cooking skill tree is coming in Phase 4 of Alpha 2. Together with the Pacifist class archetype.
  • OtrOtr Member, Alpha Two
    Food should give long duration buffs.
    Players should not eat while fighting mobs.
  • OceanSunwindOceanSunwind Member, Alpha Two
    Lodrig wrote: »
    I'm sure their will be non-meat recipies, but I think it is unlikely that they will be a vegitarian equivilent alternative to of every recipie as that would make too many gathering professions in hunting and fishing redundant.

Players wishing to RolePlay may just need to utilize a subset of available recipies and plan their play around what types of bonusues they provide, I would expect the highest levels of bonuses would still be accessible, but likely not all KINDS, so vegan elfs Dextarity bonus might be maxed from that tripple decker Carrot cake, but not their Strength.

BtW Dose anyone find it odd that Cooking is listed under processing and not Crafting? Cooking makes final products ready for consumption, and is itself consuming some processed goods like flour so it really seems to be that it's misplaced. Being under processing also puts the top tier crafting stations for it out in Freeholds rather then in Nodes which just seems odd as it runs contrary to fine dining being a thing found in urban areas.

Perhaps you’re right. The triple dex carrot cake is a cool idea. But str bonuses could be done. We have vegan/vegetarian olympians who’ve won gold so why not apply that to a fantasy world where we have magical ingredients further making it possible.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    To make everyone happy we will have only once choice now. 84tg2ceicnlr.jpg
    vmw4o7x2etm1.png
  • Otr wrote: »
    Food should give long duration buffs.
    Players should not eat while fighting mobs.

Agree, generally their are two ways to do this. Individual food items being eaten give a very long duration (20-30 miniute), or Albion strategy of having 'stacks' of food which the player equips and which then get drawn down in a kind of auto-eating that happens in the background without player input.

Given the existence of Taverns which are supposed to sell food and provide other long duration XP buffs I think they will go with the former strategy, and eating the same food in a Tavern might make your buffs even longer/higher. But their will still be some way to eat food out in the wild, likely around campfires and other brief downtime. It will still only be a brief event every half hour or so I think, Intrepid has always said they do not intend to go down the survival game route.
  • AlmostDeadAlmostDead Member, Alpha Two
    edited September 13
    @OceanSunwind

This was actually addressed by Steven here, timestamp 14:33:

I don't think you all quite understand that being politically correct isn't the only reason why people choose to eat vegetables over animals. I'm not wanting to teach it either. Just wanting more options for people who want food buffs and want to only eat vegetables.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Stats Bonuses:

First of all Steven has been fairly clear about keeping real world politics out of Ashes - and veganism as it is in the world today is more of a political issue than a dietry one.

Second, in game production isn't about anything more than an even distribution of the work required to get the items and consumables players want and use, and so any time you add in a means to get the same result but without using one of the professions that would otherwise be needed, you are sidelining that profession.

In a manner similar to the real world, perhaps we could get characters with the animal handling profession to clear out the millions of rodents that need to be killed off in order to guarantee the success of high protein plants - that could be a way to keep them involved (this is sarcasm, even if it is what happens for real).

small mind
    Stats Bonuses:

small mind

Why?

Because I am keeping real world politics out of a fantasy game, or because I suggested that gameplay needs to be put first?

Or is it just becasue I disagree with you, but you don't have the capacity to actually forumlate an argument?
  • Clearly the Vegans seek to establish a Theocracy.

They call it a Kalephate :wink:
  • FlankerFlanker Member, Alpha Two
    Tacquito wrote: »
    This was actually addressed by Steven here, timestamp 14:33:
    Dude, you're a savage xD
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member, Alpha Two

Buffs:
    A lot of MMOs center cooking around meat being the main source of protein with each type of meat when prepared in many different ways give different stat bonuses. It would deter a lot of players from wanting to take up cooking or eating specific foods for specific buffs which could be important. Which sequentially would prevent players from being welcomed in a party because min/maxers wouldn't allow unbuffed players.

Fantasy and Immersion:
    Plant based cooking would allow players to insert themselves in the game and help others roleplay elves, druidic classes, hunters, Chefs, perhaps even priests who wouldn't want to harm natural animals.

Stats Bonuses:

Anyway, Thanks for reading. I really hope to be able to place myself in the game entirely, as well as probably others. My wife and I unfortunately never pick up fishing or cooking unless it's to feed our pet in World of Warcraft Classic and we both love cooking in our home.

I'd be very surprised if it deterred "a lot of players", given that there's still only a very small percentage of people that are vegetarian/vegan, and presumably most of those will be able to make the distinction between real life and gaming.
    And, if you were doing it properly, the +10 Str meat dish would have a +3 Str lentil dish. But yeah, most games have a good selection of recipes, so I'm sure there'll be plenty for you to make :)

Also, I just feel that I should point out that you're likely going to have to kill things in this game, at some point.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member, Alpha Two
    OP, will you kill non humanoid mobs to level up?

OP specifically mentioned those not wanting to harm animals. George is asking if that's going to carry over into the levelling system, where they'll then be unable to fight NPCs.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Will there be vegetarian and vegan food for the vegetarian and vegan community?

Buffs:

Fantasy and Immersion:

Stats Bonuses:

I am vegetarian. I really dont care about the welfare of digital animals. It is a scource of healing or whatever. No animals were harmed in making those dishes! :)
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member, Alpha Two

PLEASE Everybody stay calm, but ... ... ... ... :D

Should we ask for "Vegan"-type of Food to give buffs valuable in PvP Encounters,
    and "MEAT"-kind of Food giving buffs for PvP ? :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • CawwCaww Member, Alpha Two
    I hate beans... they do things to me...
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member, Alpha Two
    pre buffing is just a silly mechanic. takes 0 thought process or skill.
    P0GG0 wrote: »

If it is a purchased or player crafted buff, it is a way of bringing your economic activity in to a fight, giving those that are good in that area a slight advantage.

This is a good thing.

It isn't supposed to take skill to activate a buff, it is supposed to be a representation of the non-combat aspects of your gameplay.
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member, Alpha Two
    P0GG0 wrote: »

If it is a purchased or player crafted buff, it is a way of bringing your economic activity in to a fight, giving those that are good in that area a slight advantage.

This is a good thing.

It isn't supposed to take skill to activate a buff, it is supposed to be a representation of the non-combat aspects of your gameplay.

we already have like 15 slots of gear the economy does not need this. and no pre buffing is just boring af.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I thought the point of veganism was to respect, protect and honor the lives of animals?
    What are you going to do with the carcasses of all the animals you slaughter? Just let them rot?