Opinions on Drop Tables and rates being hidden or public?

2»

Comments

• I am a bit conflicted.
    On one hand I really want players to know what the probabilites and values of certain encounters and areas are, so there's more concrete incentive to fight over the great ones, rather than having everyone just avoid conflict and choosing the path of least resistance all the time, simply because they don't even know what they're missing out on, and they never have a chance to find out.

On the other hand, if there are a few places that are 30-100% more efficient to farm at than others, and then no one ever goes anywhere else because the objective numbers make people's hyper-efficency kick in, and everyone refuses for less than the best - then too much game design effort will be wasted, most of the world will feel empty, and

So I guess it depends. If objective control over areas distinguishes between zones with fairly close reward schemes, I'd appreciate transparent information, so people play competitively.
    If there are obvious stark differences between areas, I think obscured information would be perfect, because players won't be discouraged from still making the most of other zones, when they can't win undisturbed access to the most highly contested areas.
    The only one who can validate you for all the posts you didn't write is you.