Prosperity vs Demise

KnottiKnotti Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
What direction would you like to see your server take?

Prosperity in Ashes is going to take collective effort. Would you like to see your guild take a more PVE approach conquering the game? Creating a spot on the map from PVE content and developing alliances with neighbouring players. Potentially with alliances among all the different areas; allowing for guilds to travel to all PVE content and collect goods to build their spot on the map. All guilds would have access to an abundance of goods to create the best wares and progress through the highest PVE content. Using the castles sieges and colosseums as war games of course. Politics would play a larger role on a server like this; though rules are made to be broken.

Demise in Ashes will come in the form of PvP or lack of goods. Would you like to see your guild be involved more in PvP and conquering map? Attacking your neighbouring players will have benefits in the way of spoils and land. Also potentially shrinking the area of the game you will have access to and making the collection of goods challenging. War among players will be expensive. Not only will it damage the person you’re attacking but your equipment decays as well. Having the goods to create a head of steam for a war effort will take time. A server like this would be chaos; where some people would thrive.

Comments

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    Both. Welcome to PvX. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • VarganVargan Member
    "Prosperity"? More like Banality...
    Only conflict can breed triumph.
    Too bad, you lose! The correct sequence was blood - blood - blood.
  • War
  • Both, only one part of content is boring.
    PvX!
  • KnottiKnotti Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 8
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Both. Welcome to PvX. ;)
    Knotti wrote: »
    Using the castles sieges and colosseums as war games of course. Politics would play a larger role on a server like this; though rules are made to be broken.
    That was implied.

Would you like to fight or barter your way to PvE content. Yes there will also be conflict; but will you seek out alliances over enemies.

• Depends on who’s asking to barter and what they’re asking for as fair trade in return. There has to be a level of respect if you ask for something reasonable it’s considerable if not then that’s a whole different story. However I personally don’t like people who gatekeep especially bigger guilds bullying smaller guild out of content so would make sense to seek allies and fight if it’s over a PvX objective in the open world.

• Knotti wrote: »

Prosperity in Ashes is going to take collective effort. Would you like to see your guild take a more PVE approach conquering the game? Creating a spot on the map from PVE content and developing alliances with neighbouring players. Potentially with alliances among all the different areas; allowing for guilds to travel to all PVE content and collect goods to build their spot on the map. All guilds would have access to an abundance of goods to create the best wares and progress through the highest PVE content. Using the castles sieges and colosseums as war games of course. Politics would play a larger role on a server like this; though rules are made to be broken.

Demise in Ashes will come in the form of PvP or lack of goods. Would you like to see your guild be involved more in PvP and conquering map? Attacking your neighbouring players will have benefits in the way of spoils and land. Also potentially shrinking the area of the game you will have access to and making the collection of goods challenging. War among players will be expensive. Not only will it damage the person you’re attacking but your equipment decays as well. Having the goods to create a head of steam for a war effort will take time. A server like this would be chaos; where some people would thrive.

why do you think pve brings prosperity and PVP brings ruin? lmao

you think the PVP fols arent going to develop their nodes and make sure everything can be crafted? pvers are usually the selfish players, just playing the way they want.i can imagine some major wanting to RP a mining metro when there's already 3 of those and the server needs tailoring or leatherworking.

the PVP folks will destroy nodes and rebuilt them with the things will allow them to make gear for everyone.

there wont be lack of goods. pvpers will farm farm farm to become stronger. servers will thrive.will make it so.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Both. Welcome to PvX. ;)
    Using the castles sieges and colosseums as war games of course. Politics would play a larger role on a server like this; though rules are made to be broken.
    That was implied.

Would you like to fight or barter your way to PvE content. Yes there will also be conflict; but will you seek out alliances over enemies.

this is living in fantasy land. why do you think 10000 players will be friendly towards each other 100% of the time?

what happens when that raid boss spawns and there are 100 guilds after it? do you think they will wait in line for their turn to kill it one guild per day? oh yeah lets wait 3 months until we have a chance at it.

the game thrives with conflict. its the catalyst for change.
  • I would like to see both work together. The big concern is how to control Zergs. I.e In Throne and liberty you can create 1 guild and have 3 alliances. Essentially the 3 alliances are the same guild. These 4 guilds dominate the field and own all the good items.

This can deter people from contributing to the PvP activities or not play at all.
    kr9ltkpbhsee.png
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited October 9
    You cant control it, same happened to New World. Huge guilds will dominate, if they want. They will form the nodes to their will in a selfish way and on places on the map which they want and like, independent from the desires of smaller guilds or especially more pve oriented players, because pve players are used to play together and cooperate with each other instead of the competitive (one will win, so the other one loses), fighting and destructive behavior.
  • VarganVargan Member
    Fireplay wrote: »
    I would like to see both work together. The big concern is how to control Zergs. I.e In Throne and liberty you can create 1 guild and have 3 alliances. Essentially the 3 alliances are the same guild. These 4 guilds dominate the field and own all the good items.

This can deter people from contributing to the PvP activities or not play at all.

Sounds like they're winning, instead of complaining.
    The response to that should be "let's try and get better", instead of "the game needs to be changed". Everybody is operating under the same rules. Just because some factions lose, doesn't mean that it's not "fair".
    Too bad, you lose! The correct sequence was blood - blood - blood.
  • Chaliux wrote: »
    You cant control it, same happened to New World. Huge guilds will dominate, if they want. They will form the nodes to their will in a selfish way and on places on the map which they want and like, independent from the desires of smaller guilds or especially more pve oriented players, because pve players are used to play together and cooperate with each other instead of the competitive (one will win, so the other one loses), fighting and destructive behavior.

if the winners build the node based on their own selfish desire, isn't building the node based on the smaller guilds and pve players desire selfish too? the argument is why one group should be more important than the other. well, one group won so they get decide, but there isn't any reason why they should build a node based on someone else's desire.

also, how do you pick anyways? because everybody will want different things. there was never a problem in nw with the crafting stations, and you cant stop anybody from progressing even if you own nodes in the map, unless you don't want to develop anything and also stop yourself from progressing.
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited October 9
    Its about the size of the guild (size matters).
    NW is a good reference. Cities were dominated from the biggest guilds, not inevitably from the best guilds, for sure not from small guilds. I‘ve played on two different servers, both with same result and picture on the map (a lot of equally colored regions, domination by size).
  • PendragxnPendragxn Member
    edited October 9
    Chaliux wrote: »
    NW is a good reference. Cities were dominated from the biggest guilds, not inevitably from the best guilds, for sure not from small guilds. I‘ve played on two different servers, both with same result and picture on the map (a lot of equally colored regions, domination by size).

It’s not about the size it’s about the motion in the ocean >:)

I think they really need to balance the guild/alliance perks or buffs so that smaller alliances or guilds can compete otherwise it’s just a numbers game. Honestly it’s like one of the most common complaints in any PvP game that people are just outnumbered by bigger guilds or alliances that dominate the game plus PvP scene.
  • AoC is not prepared for either
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

how does that work?

you can only have 50 people in a territory siege, and no one from the outside can interfere. so how does the best guild lose in a fair 50 vs 50?
  • GithalGithal Member
    edited October 10
    Depraved wrote: »

how does that work?

you can only have 50 people in a territory siege, and no one from the outside can interfere. so how does the best guild lose in a fair 50 vs 50?

There is no Best guild. There will always be challengers that have good chances of winning.
    Its like watching League of legends world championship, And say that the best team cant lose. But in the same time they get 3 wins and 2 loses in the finals. What i mean is: even if 1 team won, it doesnt mean that they will win again next time.

But yes, i think it will be IDEAL for skill to matter, and not just zerg fiesta where 1k player guilds dominate everything
  • Githal wrote: »

how does that work?

There is no Best guild. There will always be challengers that have good chances of winning.
    Its like watching League of legends world championship, And say that the best team cant lose. But in the same time they get 3 wins and 2 loses in the finals. What i mean is: even if 1 team won, it doesnt mean that they will win again next time.

But yes, i think it will be IDEAL for skill to matter, and not just zerg fiesta where 1k player guilds dominate everything

What we need is Ashes of Creation Esports get the commentators I want to see big fights massive damage HUUUUGGGEEE delete the fucking backline!! Yasssss!!!!

• PhamPham Member

I am of the mindset that the fun should be in the journey and not the end goal. Don't try to impose your own will on the future end goal. Just do what is right in the now.

"The mind of a person plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

Things will develop naturally and it will be more fun if you're not overthinking or constantly worrying about how to make certain things happen in a certain way and rather just experiencing the adventure.
    "Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes." - Ephesians 6:11
  • Pendragxn wrote: »
    Githal wrote: »

how does that work?

What we need is Ashes of Creation Esports get the commentators I want to see big fights massive damage HUUUUGGGEEE delete the fucking backline!! Yasssss!!!!

We will need Esports 100%. This can be a way to get the best guilds from all servers, that cant compete against each other. To fight for money reward and a cup in the Esports. Will be really cool to see Castle fights, or node sieges. Maybe even some unique mode Castle vs Castle where both sides own a castle that are close to each other and winner is the one who first captures the enemy castle. Both sides having some dragons. Just imagining it makes me excited :D
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited October 10
    how does that work?

Because there are 3 factions and depending on the hardcore players within the faction and their online activity/availability (so grinding, contributing) regions where dominated from that faction. On both severs I've played that was (by accident?) purple, the Syndicate.

Example picture (from a website, no screenshot from me).

tdyb677z64k0.png

That was no fun for Covenant and Marauder players.

Or maybe Covenant dominated?

a22sbabn2z48.jpg

Depeding on luck during server choice, it was an ugly gaming experience.

Whatever Ashes designed to avoid this, it should be avoided and it needs developer intervention (with mechanics, systems, designs) to decrease this domination risk (or to have possibilities to solve the issue once domination starts). The more balanced a realm is, the better it is for the overal game and community health.
    how does that work?

Because there are 3 factions and depending on the hardcore players within the faction and their online activity/availability (so grinding, contributing) regions where dominated from that faction. On both severs I've played that was (by accident?) purple, the Syndicate.

Example picture (from a website, no screenshot from me).

tdyb677z64k0.png

That was no fun for Covenant and Marauder players.

Or maybe Covenant dominated?

a22sbabn2z48.jpg

Depeding on luck during server choice, it was an ugly gaming experience.

Whatever Ashes designed to avoid this, it should be avoided and it needs developer intervention (with mechanics, systems, designs) to decrease this domination risk (or to have possibilities to solve the issue once domination starts). The more balanced a realm is, the better it is for the overal game and community health.

no developer intervention pls.

what I mean is, territory sieges are fair giths. its a 50 vs 50 instanced fight. you don't need to fight 50 vs 1000, just 50 vs 50. even if the enemy do more quest and attack more often, you could win 50 vs 50...unless they were better, you know.

anyways, in nw it didn't matter too much if a faction had all the territories since they couldn't stop the other factions to do anything to progress their chars.
  • The more challenging and difficult it is, the more I enjoy it
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Flanker wrote: »
    The more challenging and difficult it is, the more I enjoy it
    So you should play a soulslike game? B)

• DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited October 11
    Both, only one part of content is boring.
    PvX!

Whatever it will be, I doubt it will be good for Ashes health if players cannot choose.
    Maybe it is just the times we are living in but I believe to notice a big part of the overall global playerbase not being interested in forced PvP anymore.
    Which "PvX" pretty much is.

Reason why I think that?
    Witnessed behaviour in World of Warcraft, League of Legends and Sea of Thieves.
    In all three games PvP is very toxic due to its either mandatory nature to get certain rewards and League being an exclusive PvP game, at least as far as I know only from watching, is universally known in the internet for being a toxic game.
    rage.gif

:D

I believe that we have lived long enough now in a videogame culture that there are a lot of people who are tired of so called "competitive elements".
    And if Ashes will not offer this part of the demographic, which seems very big at the very least, a pure PvE server model, they might not join the game.
    Wether or not Intrepit is willing and able to tank that financially, who knows?

World of Warcraft:
    Professional PvP even among random grouped instance PvP, has completely deteriorated since... pfffff... "Cataclysm" first released? I stopped playing in "The Burning Crusade" already but I have seen Aszkalon play a few expansions later and oh god, was this a s°°°show.
    The unwillingness to organize shows the overall evaluation of PvP in general.
    The amount of people willing to organize is as many as those who are not willing.

Sea of Thieves:
    Every few updates it feels like it is a battle from the developers against the players, to lure or force them into more PvP and the ever unwilling, broad part of the SoT playerbase, always finding new ways to avoid it.
    Or participate only for the least necessary time to get some kind of achievement/reward and then never joining those interactions ever again.

A telling story. In SoT I am or was a PvX player and it was good as long as Rare did not exaggerate the PvP for too much, which they inevitably did. And since then it feels like the game's friendly population took a nosedive.
    And all that is left are the usual addicts, simps, whales and people still in the conflict phase between either letting the game go and leave, but still playing and undecided.

And in general when all is finished & done, every weapon used, every cannonball shot, every dagger thrown, every curse used and every treasure stolen... what is left is the generall & overall atmosphere of the game.
    Which is lacking in ways that Ashes probably never will.
    But I hope the overall ambience will hopefully not be this toxic mixture that PvX brings with it like in SoT.

A rancid, annoyed grunting whenever you see another playership nearby and notice it also stays suspiciously close no matter where you sail off to.
    And somehow always tries to stay in between you and the next nearest outpost.
    ... and then I lower my rowboat full of treasure, sneak off and their plotting never works. =)

But it can be pretty annoying and exhausting.
    Especially when people are so loaded like I am, with 20 million gold and more doubloons than I can ever spend and I know the only reason these people do it, is truly because they are griefers and wanna enjoy the disappointment or rage of someone else.
    And if there is no real incentive in a game to do this except for ruining another players day, then my respect is gone and not existent anymore.

I do hope that does not happen in Ashes and the Node-guilds will somehow "get along".
    And that no Cringelords can hold a server in a chokehold for who knows how long?
    F°°° I did it again.
    This became a "concern post" didn't it? :grin:
    Dayum. ^^
    m3h60maohz8f.jpg
  • It’s a simple fix you just have PvX zones that are forced flag PvP. The PvE’s have the choice not to go into those zones it’s risk vs reward you want better stuff you risk getting PK’d. Obviously in the game you will have the choice to do PvE or PvP anyways but not having PvX is a bad design especially in a competitive MMO. I can see there being a lot of PvP/PvX around caravans and transporting it makes sense though, and if you just want to transport safely without any risk you might as well go play an economy simulator to just farm currency all day.

I’m not saying PvP environments don’t get toxic however that’s just the competitive nature of the players. Also I can make an economy as a ganker or by hijacking caravans getting the loot it’s just the circle of life. I’m not ganking or PK’ing someone to grief them it’s an opportunity to make money while doing something I enjoy. However I feel like transporting safely is kind of your job to organise a group transport with your guild or friends or hire mercenaries if you’ve got so much money to transport. I don’t blame the PvP or PvX player they’re just doing what’s in their nature and what they enjoy which is also a big part of the experience, community and player base.

I’ve experienced the edgelord cringe myself when one group dominates the whole server it can be unfair yes. However hopefully there is some balance or sense of the community or players to come together to fight this kind of thing to group up. Having a villain that the whole server can be against is not necessarily a bad thing it creates content but everyone is too afraid to oppose them. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire and do the same tactics to the enemy that they’re doing to you, and as the saying goes the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • GithalGithal Member
    edited October 11
    Dripyula wrote: »
    Both, only one part of content is boring.
    PvX!

Whatever it will be, I doubt it will be good for Ashes health if players cannot choose.
    Maybe it is just the times we are living in but I believe to notice a big part of the overall global playerbase not being interested in forced PvP anymore.
    Which "PvX" pretty much is.

Reason why I think that?
    Witnessed behaviour in World of Warcraft, League of Legends and Sea of Thieves.
    In all three games PvP is very toxic due to its either mandatory nature to get certain rewards and League being an exclusive PvP game, at least as far as I know only from watching, is universally known in the internet for being a toxic game.

I believe that we have lived long enough now in a videogame culture that there are a lot of people who are tired of so called "competitive elements".
    And if Ashes will not offer this part of the demographic, which seems very big at the very least, a pure PvE server model, they might not join the game.
    Wether or not Intrepit is willing and able to tank that financially, who knows?

World of Warcraft:
    Professional PvP even among random grouped instance PvP, has completely deteriorated since... pfffff... "Cataclysm" first released? I stopped playing in "The Burning Crusade" already but I have seen Aszkalon play a few expansions later and oh god, was this a s°°°show.
    The unwillingness to organize shows the overall evaluation of PvP in general.
    The amount of people willing to organize is as many as those who are not willing.

I do hope that does not happen in Ashes and the Node-guilds will somehow "get along".
    And that no Cringelords can hold a server in a chokehold for who knows how long?
    F°°° I did it again.
    This became a "concern post" didn't it? :grin:
    Dayum. ^^

There are some big miscalculations here in your comment.
    The players in WOW are not engaging in PvP because THE PVP THERE SUCK! Yes WOTLK expansion was the last where the pvp was actually good, fun, engaging, tactical, skill based, diverse.... By Cataclism it became much worse. and every next expansion is making it even worse.

In League of legends - no one argues that the players are not toxic. BUT... did you ever ask yourself why is this? The answer is quit simple actually. Its because you play with RANDOM players that you cant do anything about. you cant kick them from group, you cant leave the game, you are just stuck with those players for 30-40 min. There are mods where you choose the players you play with, and even if they are not your real life friends, the toxicity is much much much less. And even if there is someone toxic you can just kick him from the group.

I have never played Sea of Thieves. So i wont comment on it at all.

And 1 last thing. The PVE model WoW has is the most boring sh*t ever. Like Blizard releases new expansion. You get the 10 levels to cap for 1 day. After this you do the same dungeons and raids over and over and over and over again. Like the first 2-3 times you do them its fun. After this you engage in some Mythic+ where the same dungeon feels bit different, which again keeps it somewhat interesting for another few runs. And then what? you do the dungeon for the 83th time. you know the place and count of every mob in the dungeon. You playing like a robot to increase your best time of the run with 1 sec.
    So if you like this sort of mindless grind, then you gotta come in love with AOC PvX dynamic model.
  • Knotti wrote: »

Demise in Ashes will come in the form of PvP or lack of goods. Would you like to see your guild be involved more in PvP and conquering map? Attacking your neighboring players will have benefits in the way of spoils and land. Also potentially shrinking the area of the game you will have access to and making the collection of goods challenging. War among players will be expensive. Not only will it damage the person you’re attacking but your equipment decays as well. Having the goods to create a head of steam for a war effort will take time. A server like this would be chaos; where some people would thrive.

I have an example from my NW experience about PVP bringing prosperous. Didn't know this before my guild picked a server but apparently an infamous racist streamer and his community picked our server and a specific faction (I think yellow) and this caused a coalition of various players working together to always attack the yellow faction. Prosperity came in the form of PVP because players worked together to fight the guild. Players would build up the purple and green towns with solid control instead of the battleground areas because the yellow faction would always max all taxes and never build anything. Any time the players PVP'd the yellow faction to control an area, it actively brought prosperity to the area when they won.

As for the direction I would like, given I would have no control over the way it goes, I would hope for a server open to bartering before deciding to murder each other. Guild politics would add spice to the game instead of just big guilds zerging without care.
    Theoretically - yeah. Practically, I don't really like/play single-player games with a couple of rare exceptions that exist because solely because of my nostalgia
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • KnottiKnotti Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 12
    Managing a governance among a coalition of guilds will be a very fortifying and lucrative. So is conquering the land around you; though spreading your production out and increasing lands while being on the offensive can have its downfalls. PVP will always exist. Pirates and mercenaries are always going to be roaming around. There will always be guild disputes that escalate. But something that will empower you greatly is to network and trade with other people to get the goods and benefit from the content in their area of the game. I’m not saying that everyone has to be totally kumbaya; just partially. If the server norm is to attack and ask questions later, it won’t be nonfunctional or unfruitful; perhaps it will be the most progressive server. But as I see it a server with a more collective overall effort throughout (most but obviously not all) will most likely create greater empires.
  • ChaliuxChaliux Member
    edited October 12
    Flanker wrote: »
    Theoretically - yeah. Practically, I don't really like/play single-player games with a couple of rare exceptions that exist because solely because of my nostalgia
    Offtopic: Understandable. The first cut is the deepest, usually. Your cut was L2 from teenager (?) until mid/end of 20? So, fully understandable (or did I get your „nostalgia“ wrong?)

I love fantasy RPGs, both singleplayer and multiplayer (the main aspect is the type of game and setting, not the social one, thats secondary for me, as I would not play a game I dont like in setting but my friends would do, that alone wouldnt convince me to waste my rare time). I‘ve played nearly all (popular, well known, good) Singleplayer Fantasy RPGs during the point where I started to play on PCs, and that was up from the point they were available for private use, my father bought one family pc that time, and it was placed in the living room for all of us.