Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game currency name

SANDALLERS,
but in all seriousness what do you think the currency will be called?
Will they go with the traditional gold or perhaps come up with one of their own?

Comments

• I still think soul stones are a great way to trade 
  • I'm hoping for the traditional mmorpg/fantasy elements:
    Gold, Silver, Copper at the rate of:
    1 gold = 100 silver = 100 copper

Maybe Platinum will also be in the mix, too, if it's a 1 Platinum = 10 gold = 10 silver = 10 copper.

They're creating a whole marketplace and even a stock-market system, so their currency needs to be relatively simple, but also complicated enough to interest people.

If you think about "dollars" and "cents" , it's a 1:100 ratio between the two, creating one or two magnitudes to measure the currency... unless you factor in the "gold standard", but that just makes it more complicated.

Gold:Silver:Copper is three different magnitudes, even if the ratio between them is different.  In some aspects, it makes the cheaper things much much simpler, but also makes the more expensive things a whole different magnitude.

So a 1:100:100 should be plenty to incorporate the whole system.
    Part of the long-run problem that needs to be looked at is the problem with wealth creation in the systems themselves (such as monsters dropping money, or NPCs giving you money for items), and how it balances with wealth reduction (Paying NPCs for items, quests, etc.)

Whatever they choose, I'm excited for it!
  • I'm hoping its those chocolate coins.. you know, the ones that look like money, but they're chocolate on the inside?

That way if you have money, and you want to buy a lamb shank, and some dwarf is like 'we don't sell to your type, sharp ears..' you can just eat your money, and tell the dwarf where he can stick his lamb shank..

you know.. for example.
  • I'm gonna vote for Waffles. Maybe smackers.
  • I know they said that the weight system was going to be in penguins, it seems natural to have fish as the currency. 
  • Whatever it's going to be, I just hope that it doesn't look like a massively inflated currency. I mean those where you have lots of items that go into the 7 digits. A million sounds like a lot and should be a lot. Not something you can earn in a day of farming.
  • I think I'd prefer the traditional way. 
  • @HeckinBamboozled lmao  bro your quote is the best.  Plz tell me thats from the speed dating episode from always sunny
  • It should be simple in my opinion. Take Neverwinter for instance, a million different currencies and each has a special use case, you get lost with what each currency is for.
  • mouth gapes wide.....gold and silver are always the staple currency of medieval fantasy realms.
    Shame on you!
    :tongue:

Dont mind having a few emeralds, sapphires, diamonds and such too.
    But there is always one standard that all else are relative to.
    So for me thats the 'gold standard'.
    :smirk:
  • But at least if we have @Wraeven's chocolate coins we'd all quickly know when there's a meltdown in the financial markets..
  • But at least if we have @Wraeven's chocolate coins we'd all quickly know when there's a meltdown in the financial markets..
    that's why I invest in strawberries 
  • nagash said:
    But at least if we have @Wraeven's chocolate coins we'd all quickly know when there's a meltdown in the financial markets..
    Ah, but the birds love those strawberry fields!
  • Ah, but the birds love those strawberry fields!
    Yes indeed - 'Strawberry Fields Forever!'

Sorry ... just had to put that...!
  • nagash said:
    But at least if we have @Wraeven's chocolate coins we'd all quickly know when there's a meltdown in the financial markets..
    Ah, but the birds love those strawberry fields!
    time to bake a pie then

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Golden Sharif sounds good to me.

EDIT: apologies on a poor quality, I did this quickly on the move on laptop using touch pad.

• No matter, in the end all money will be mine, whatever they're called.
  • We all know it's Verra bucks...lol.

Soul currency is an interesting @nagash

What if the currency was a 1:100:100 but in soul stones, and these soul stones could be used to actually directly increase one's level (something of the magnitude of 10-100G per 1-5% (dependent on the inflation and worth of the currency based on the stockmarket)). This would be created by taking it to a high level alchemist who would convert the G to an experience potion. 

*On a more serious note i'd prefer it to be the standard gold/silver/copper method also.

• Gothix said:

EDIT: apologies on a poor quality, I did this quickly on the move on laptop using touch pad.

As long as there is a sandal on the other side, this wins hands down.
  • Guildart said:
    We all know it's Verra bucks...lol.

Soul currency is an interesting @nagash

What if the currency was a 1:100:100 but in soul stones, and these soul stones could be used to actually directly increase one's level (something of the magnitude of 10-100G per 1-5% (dependent on the inflation and worth of the currency based on the stockmarket)). This would be created by taking it to a high level alchemist who would convert the G to an experience potion. 

*On a more serious note i'd prefer it to be the standard gold/silver/copper method also.

im glad to see someone else like me ^^
  • Steven confirmed pygmy whales. So I'm going with gold/silver/copper pygmy whales. 
  • Gothix said:

Nailed it Gothix! I am all for plat-gold-silver-copper   style.
  • Caelron said:
    I'm hoping for the traditional mmorpg/fantasy elements:
    Gold, Silver, Copper at the rate of:
    1 gold = 100 silver = 100 copper

Maybe Platinum will also be in the mix, too, if it's a 1 Platinum = 10 gold = 10 silver = 10 copper.

They're creating a whole marketplace and even a stock-market system, so their currency needs to be relatively simple, but also complicated enough to interest people.

If you think about "dollars" and "cents" , it's a 1:100 ratio between the two, creating one or two magnitudes to measure the currency... unless you factor in the "gold standard", but that just makes it more complicated.

Gold:Silver:Copper is three different magnitudes, even if the ratio between them is different.  In some aspects, it makes the cheaper things much much simpler, but also makes the more expensive things a whole different magnitude.

So a 1:100:100 should be plenty to incorporate the whole system.
    Part of the long-run problem that needs to be looked at is the problem with wealth creation in the systems themselves (such as monsters dropping money, or NPCs giving you money for items), and how it balances with wealth reduction (Paying NPCs for items, quests, etc.)

Whatever they choose, I'm excited for it!
    I agree. Add gem stones of any value to help lower weight issues.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Currency should be dependent on the region. Each region should have a value to their currency, not just universal gold. Sand region should have the "cuna" and Grass region should have the "dilin"... names should be thought out... but the point is that the currency needs to be dependent on the activity in the region, where the dilin be worth x0.5 more than the cuna because of less nodes being built there.
  • Gothix said:
    I know this was meant a little tongue-in-cheek, but I think the Sharif actually sounds quite cool. Obviously don't have his face on it, but the name itself I think really fits. Not like he needs to be immortalised or anything, but I think that would be fun.

I am happy with the old standard of Gold/Silver/Copper though, and having this be the accepted global currency. The economy is shaping up to be complex enough without the addition of currency conversion rates!
  • to be mean if you bring in currency from another City State (node) you have to go to the money changer to get local currency at a 5 - 10 % charge.
  • I like this idea. It shows a true world economy. Values could make or break a node.
  • Crymoar said:
    to be mean if you bring in currency from another City State (node) you have to go to the money changer to get local currency at a 5 - 10 % charge.
    I like this idea.it sets up a true world economy. Value vs. Value could make or break an Node.
  • FliP said:
    It should be simple in my opinion. Take Neverwinter for instance, a million different currencies and each has a special use case, you get lost with what each currency is for.
    Oh God please no...that drove me nuts...
  • Bajjer said:
    Gothix said:
    I know this was meant a little tongue-in-cheek, but I think the Sharif actually sounds quite cool. Obviously don't have his face on it, but the name itself I think really fits. Not like he needs to be immortalised or anything, but I think that would be fun.

I am happy with the old standard of Gold/Silver/Copper though, and having this be the accepted global currency. The economy is shaping up to be complex enough without the addition of currency conversion rates!
    I  like the thought of a gold Sharif...if there's going to be a giant named Bacon toating a guitar... Why not?