Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

where should gold come from

When i say "come from" i mean where does it enter the server at.

most games  gold comes from pve

AA mostly from turning in packs

others its mostly from quests

Is there a better option out there ?

another option is player gold mine and coin smith.

just want to see what everyone is thinking here. Side question (which could be its own thread) should the server allow an unlimited amount of gold to be present or should there be a hard cap.

Comments

• Options
    I'd think that there'll be copper, silver and gold to mine.  Perhaps nodes of a certain size will be able to mint coins.
  • Options
    I'm quite partial  to looting a monster and hearing the clinks. 
  • Options
    Kadin said:
    This is a deep and interesting question! I think that gold dropping from mobs (preferably humanoid, because animals dropping currency seems a bit silly!) is easier for the economics team to control; as the loot drop chances will be in drop tables where they can adjust the percentages and amounts to stimulate or slow down the economy as needed. This would be more difficult to justify or implement in a quest reward mechanic, given that there aren't going to be many repeatable quests. Only my opinion though :)
  • Options
    For that matter, why gold at all? Let the currency be cinnamon or something! :)
  • Options
    Since there's no unifying empire that controls all the kingdoms that will be at play, and all the kingdoms will be built up by the players, doesn't that mean that there won't be an official currency? No "coin of the realm" in play or such.

That'd allow for a bartering system in the beginning, and then multiple currencies if "coin minting" became a thing. Each kingdom having their own decided system of wealth, whether that be gold, silver, bronze, all three, or an official coin of the realm that held more value in that territory than the others.

That way a player doesn't become permanently wealthy and just stay there. They'd need to make sure to move onto items of value or trade for an upcoming gold(or equivalent)standard. If they chose to not play that game for a few months, they might find their colossal wealth is just a colossal amount of paperweights.
  • Options
    it comes from treasure chests
  • Options
    Oh I think it would be excellent  if currency only comes into being as a result of a development by an economic metropolis... and until one is created, people just have to barter instead .  
  • Options
    Bartering would be fine with me. ;)
  • Options
    Angry Birds rainbow pig fart angry birds GIF
  • Options
    I'm a massage therapist. We live for barter!
  • Options
    Isende  thats an unfair advantage ;)

I think the idea of barter system or maybe player created coins works too.  Barter can make the rich poor in no time :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    lexmax said:
    Kadin said:
    This is a deep and interesting question! I think that gold dropping from mobs (preferably humanoid, because animals dropping currency seems a bit silly!) is easier for the economics team to control; as the loot drop chances will be in drop tables where they can adjust the percentages and amounts to stimulate or slow down the economy as needed. This would be more difficult to justify or implement in a quest reward mechanic, given that there aren't going to be many repeatable quests. Only my opinion though :)
    Humanoid mobs dropping currency might be the best solution and can be controlled by devs quite easily. Even that would be the main way, treasure chests and some quests can be good addition to the side. Game just needs some good moneysinks to balance this system out.

Players actually forging the currency by themselfs sounds quite problematic to balance well. Or does anyone know a MMO game where this has done succesfully?

EDIT: MMO game with player driven economy* 
  • Options
    @Ferryman

I am not sure that i have, but again what should coin even be used for. For an example take a look at what happens a disaster paper money becomes worthless people start kicking down doors for food. So im good with player created coins or things like that as long as they are limitedly usful
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    so i think as a player base we should be responsible for De-monetizing the economy this would work exceptionally well for bringing down an economic node, Its allot easier to store 500 gold coins then its a caravan load of ore.

Little shiney chips like paper bills are only good to own when whoever has what you want, wants them. If that smith says "that sword cost you 3 tigers teeth and 40 iron ingots" then well gold coins are not going to help you.

Also would end gold farming as no universal currency would be hard to farm everything
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If you have a tight knit group that provides everything each other needs for free...you dont need coin.

Anyway, everyone know gold grows on money trees silly.
    Now....bottlecaps. They are a different thing entirely.
  • Options
    @Rune_Relic

every time i have seen that done its always been a bot farm.
  • Options
    Gold should come from (for example) activities that aren't solo content so BOTS aren't able to farm it.

Anything that bots couldn't do in automated way, there is where gold should come from.
  • Options
    Sadly@Gothix I think they would just make bot groups. Saw allot of that kinda thing in wow and linage, or the bot trains of archeage.
  • Options
    Kadin said:
    Sadly@Gothix I think they would just make bot groups. Saw allot of that kinda thing in wow and linage, or the bot trains of archeage.
    True but, if it's activities that also require intelligent thought, that could possibly help.

For example dungeons. I doubt bot group could do a dungeon with half decent mechanics.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Good point!

edit: at the very least make them use software that makes them more identifiable packet sniffers / sql injection etc. Bans can happen faster that way.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I think bartering opens the game up to cheating 'cause you can pass stuff from fake accounts to main accounts easily. The currency should be big salt licks and when you kill a monster the salt lick gets broken up into pieces between the team. When you acquire enough pieces you can reassemble it into a big wheel thing and roll it home. Or grind it into bags of salt if you don't have enough to make a wheel. 
  • Options
    Bartering is something players can done if they want to and i am sure it will also happen at least inside smaller communities. But bartering should not be the official trading system, because i just cant see anyone can create healthy economical system around it.

Its quite common style to make humanoid mobs to drop money. It makes sense and it can be done way that those wont everytime drop the full amount of money and that way it discourages to repeatly kill the same mobs. Once mob is killed and it respwans a little bit later, it has just that minimum amount of money which raises with time towards to maximum amount if that mob is not killed. So its quite easy to control money coming into the game and really easy to adjust if needed. 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Obviously you guys are missing the befits of fractional reserve banking and fiat currency.

edit: I mean really how do you expect an oligarchy to prosper if they cant miracle currency out of the air.

• Options
    My main issue with the humanoid npc solution is that... who would be walking around Verra with money in the first place? Everyone is corrupted, and the players are the only real source of civilization, so I don't see how you would get enough enemies able to drop coins to seed a market.

In my opinion quests are a much better way do handle things. You mention non-repeatable quests as an issue, but I see that as a feature to limit inflation. Once the money enters the server, it will just change hands between players on the open market. Just avoid creating sinks for the money to leave, and have it so all shops, inns, ect are player run freeholds or shops in towns. That way, the non-repeatable quest money only needs to seed the coins into the market once anyways, and could be balanced to easily create a good per capital wealth level, where after finishing up your tutorial you have a decent amount of money and off you go into the free market to make it or break it.

This would just be a kind of kickstart for the server's economy during the start. Once players start building up nodes, I'd really love to see nodes of certain levels being able to mint coins, either by reaching a certain level of city, or by holding a gold, silver, or copper mine, which would only make players want to control that node more, leading to all kinds of interesting political and military conflicts. Personally, I'd like to see it separated into mining the metals needed, and then having them shipped to a node that is a high enough level to have a mint in order to sell the refined metal and have it minted into coins. This would create high value trade routes that would help create conflict, as well as providing a player driven economy in the truest sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Coins should have decay and upkeep costs...

I'm joking... or am I?   :wink:
  • Options
    I think a mix of items that get you some money when you sell them/turn them in at an NPC and group activities make sense. The group option should make more, but the single player option shouldn't be neglected, for days on which you can't find a group, don't have much time to stay on your computer or really can't be bothered to do anything else at that moment.
  • Options
    Gold from mobs as usual.

Mining ore to turn into money is a interesting idea, but I wouldn't want to mine all day long just to make some money, I'd rather grind for it (raw money) or make money by crafting and selling for profit or trading.
  • Options
    Player Merchant vendors / auction house.

Working the auction house can generate a ton of wealth. 
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Gold from mobs as usual.

This is the worst option possible.

Welcome to bots grinding everywhere.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    FliP said:
    Gold from mobs as usual.

This is the worst option possible.

Welcome to bots grinding everywhere.
    Please explain how removing gold drops from mobs will stop botting.

There will be gathering bots, mining bots.. Name it and there will be someone writing a tool or bot for it. It has nothing to do with gold drops from mobs.

Also, I never stated that gold drops would be the main source of income, rather that mobs should also drop gold because mining ore to turn into money as a main way to make money is not convenient.

I'd rather do something more meaningful with my gametime, eg. farming mobs for crafting materials, and it wouldn't hurt to get a coin or two while doing it.

Besides, the above suggested idea of mining ore to turn into money is even a worse idea if you're afraid of botters.