Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Suggestion] Disable chat function while character is dead

From a PvP standpoint, we have all experienced very mature and kind behavior after killing a player in combat.

Sarcasm asside, we mostly got nice words about our mothers, our family or other close relatives. Some say they would force sex acts on them or some even go as extreme as saying they would end their lives.

Now, we know this is due to frustration, because some people cannot handle losing, but such behavior is not tolerated, so why should it even be possible?

Companies write community guidelines and behavior rules, but those are never enforced. Well, how could they be? Mute or ban all trashtalkers that use the f, n or other offensive words?

Best way would be to simply disallow players from using the chat function while their characters are dead.

Other than trashtalking, disabling chat for dead characters would also solve some other unfair activities, such as giving away enemy positions as a scout while your character is dead (even though this can still be done externally, but not directly through the game).

Comments

• I think everyone who is dead should not talk unless you have a necromancer around to "talk with the dead" that way its lore friendly and stops the harassment 
  • I think this is a good idea as it adds to the penalty for death and helps keep the game a little more immersive.
  • It's interesting but dead one still can use some progs to chat w/ teammates. So, i think that dead one shouldn't be able to communicate w/ foes (avoiding trashtalking).
  • Or we can stop needing "safe spaces" and stop getting offended over every little thing. Even if you stop in game chat while a character is dead you still have mumble ventrillo discord Skype etc that you can talk on to your team mates... That point is easily argued so what's left is the insults of a person chances are youll probably never meet. 
  • Or we can stop needing "safe spaces" and stop getting offended over every little thing. Even if you stop in game chat while a character is dead you still have mumble ventrillo discord Skype etc that you can talk on to your team mates... That point is easily argued so what's left is the insults of a person chances are youll probably never meet. 
    well not everyone is an adult some people are children and the last thing I want is to see kids verbally abused 
  • What if the murderer actually sends his regards to the mother of the dead player?
    To make it fair, you should block both ways. Which will be annoying as hell. Might as well not implement VOIP to the game at all. So I don't know, for now I am against this idea.
  • nagash said:
    well not everyone is an adult some people are children and the last thing I want is to see kids verbally abused 
    That's like someone upset that they bought their  11 year old GTA 5 and get mad there's violence and nudity in it. If the game gets rated by the ESRB as "E" I can see this being valid. Any kind of violence blood or tobacco will immediately get a teen rating and most MMOs can't get a rating because of the possible actions of others. I'm sure there will be an in game chat filter for mature language and the ability to block people. 
  • nagash said:
    That's like someone upset that they bought their  11 year old GTA 5 and get mad there's violence and nudity in it. If the game gets rated by the ESRB as "E" I can see this being valid. Any kind of violence blood or tobacco will immediately get a teen rating and most MMOs can't get a rating because of the possible actions of others. I'm sure there will be an in game chat filter for mature language and the ability to block people. 
    we dont know the age of the game yet and is it a problem not to be shouted at in games? I play to have fun not to get people pissing me off
  • I'm not saying it's a good thing to get yelled at in games. First thing I do when I get into pubg is mute all sound... Why? The game uses open VoIP and because I know people online are toxic.. as soon as im out of the plane I turn sound back on and mute my mic and use the in game VoIP to my advantage to anyone not smart enough to mute theirs. 

I'd just as soon not have any VoIP in ashes, if it has the ability to toggle team only... Maybe.. but if every time I walk into a city I hear 40 people blaring smash mouth over their mic that would be stupid. 
  • I don't have strong feelings towards either option. I've also had people insult me after getting killed in PvP, but it never really bothered me. Might as well just block them afterwards. They might also just start insulting you once they respawn. But I'm not against it, either, considering it wouldn't impact my gameplay in any way, because I prefer to use voice and have already experienced systems like that.
  • It doesn't bother me personally, I just give it a laugh whenever someone does this to me and it encourages me to kill the person again. However, it is the disrespect and fact that people can do it freely without any warnings and punishment that goes on my nervers.

I am sure if I were to use the exact same sentences in normal chat in a town I'd get muted, if not temporarily banned very quickly, but in PvP it's ok?
  • Quite a few games do this, and I find it always works fine. As has been said, it is just that extra penalty for death, and doesn't allow you to sit there and wallow in defeat while spewing garbage. You can't talk so it's just another incentive to get back on that horse and go and res.

I am not too worried about toxic people in Ashes. If everything holds true, being a gimp will get noticed within the community and will bring its own repercussions. I fully intend on ignoring anyone who displays anti-social or bullying behaviour. The more people that do the same, the better the community will be as so many options (crafting, grouping, etc) will start to narrow for those that are abusive. 

If we can add notes to our ignore list, or mark certain people as permanent ignores that would be great. I am all for giving people second chances and I can wipe the ignore list at the end of a month, but there are some behaviours I won't forgive and would like to keep those people on permanent ignore.
  • Are you serious?  First off, I am well over 18 and American which gives me the right to free speech.  And you wan to deprive me the right to exercise this right.  When you gank me it ruins my play experience and you want to take away my ability to voice that.  I suck at pvp and will avoid it at all cost.  But I am a professional at making you fell like a piece of dodo for being the douche you are.  Don't take away my only way to fight back, it may even let me continue playing instead of just logging off.  You can mute me if you want, but don't take away my ability to type out my displeasure with you actions.
  • Ahhh....but just like these forums are a private company, your speech in game is not a protected right. You want to show up in a public space and talk about how the aliens are coming to take you back to Nirvana, feel free. But private companies of which Intrepid is one, have no obligation to recognize "Mah God given right, cuz I'm frum 'Murica, see!" I personally think that stopping chat from dead players is a stupid move that will cause more irritation than immersion, but touting my American free speech rights isn't going to win any converts. Those that have the ganking mentality are hardly going to be put off by someone calling them a "griefing c``t", in most cases it will just tickle that part of their sociopathy that gives them the reward response they are looking for.
  • I do agree, but party and guild chat should not be disabled. Since outside forms of communication will happen this allows for people without mics to stll communicate with their party or guild. Especially in raids or seiges when communication is pivital
  • While I am a proponent of free speech. Why is the "Right to Free Speech" never coupled with the "Responsibility To Use it Wisely"?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    just ignore these "kids" and move on.
    And sometimes its even more fun if they die and trashtalk u, how bad u are. ( always funny when they call u bad but they are the ones who died :D )
  • Jubilum said:
    Are you serious?  First off, I am well over 18 and American which gives me the right to free speech.  And you wan to deprive me the right to exercise this right.  When you gank me it ruins my play experience and you want to take away my ability to voice that.  I suck at pvp and will avoid it at all cost.  But I am a professional at making you fell like a piece of dodo for being the douche you are.  Don't take away my only way to fight back, it may even let me continue playing instead of just logging off.  You can mute me if you want, but don't take away my ability to type out my displeasure with you actions.
    Welcome to cyberspace mate, not the USA
  • So I chat with some friend about something, whatever.

Someone attacks me and now my chat with a friend is interrupted? For how long, as long as someone keeps me in combat?

Great way to troll players, just attack them and keep them in combat forever, not killing them. No corruption for you, they can't chat with anyone for the duration. Grief on another level lol.

So I disagree with this proposal. Here is one my statement green players can love me for. No problem greenies, I love you all and I got your back.  B)
  • You disagree because you failed to read correctly.

The suggestions states dead characters, not characters in combat. You may continue chatting while in combat state, but once your character dies, your important discussion will be interrupted for 10 seconds until you respawn.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I see no problem with limiting it. I mean, if you're dead you should not be able to speak to being with. But there's no problem anyways because you cannot run to your corpse, you respawn at the nearest graveyard so if they want to talk they can just respawn right away.
  • Agree @MADE Turning off chat while dead only delays trash talking and makes it so you can't ask other players for a potential resurrection. Immature behavior however annoying is part of the territory for a competitive game. If your to sensitive to listen to someone you just killed you probably shouldn't be playing a pvp oriented game.
  • Or, just have chat off *shrugs*
  • FliP said:

The suggestions states dead characters, not characters in combat.
    Ok, I missed that.

Still I disagree. Ignore list exists so you can ignore whomever you wish. And just delaying trash talk is pointless.

Also agree with what @MADE and @DevonMeep wrote.
  • yeah, the second "respawn" is clicked the ban would be lifted, no point in working on something like that.

if someone's talking mad game just throw them in the black bucket and be done with it
  • Seems kind of pointless to disable it to me.  Maybe perhaps as an option on the player side to disable chat from dead players.
  •   I agree with the proposal, but it is interesting only as adding realism ( 'the dead do not talk, hahaha'), from the inadequacy is not a cure.
      'The victim did not warn of the ambush' - severe group (guild) used voice.
      Killed can criticize you after the resurrection, but you have to ignore, blacklist, sedatives and the administrator, if the person stain World chat =)
    P. S. need to increase the penalty for death, a little 10s, at least 2-3 minutes, let the looks and the silent, muahaha!
  • Words are wind.

Always the words I try to live by. Unless I'm actually trying to make a point in a debate, I don't waste alot of time worrying about what some nerd 2000mi away says in s moment of anger
  • Karthos said:
    Words are wind.

Always the words I try to live by. Unless I'm actually trying to make a point in a debate, I don't waste alot of time worrying about what some nerd 2000mi away says in s moment of anger
    I knew you were going to say that :p
  • Karthos said:
    Words are wind.

And what if it's not a nerd? :p