Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A simple text adventure: Chapter one, the sandal in the stone!

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited October 2017 in Fan Stories
Now I can't draw for toffee, but I thought this'll be a little bit of a distraction.

I would love for folks to add ideas for other characters to my wall, with possible strengths and weaknesses  or any other random ideas. Heck, if anyone wanted to put together a chapter of their own, go wild !!! <3  <3  :D

Add your moves below, theres no limit on how many you do a day, just let me answer before adding a new one, I have no problem with lots of people playing at the same time, (I hope) but I'm sure it'll be fun to see where this goes, also I'll only be letting one significant move / action a day occur each :D

[Edit]
This is intended as an old school text adventure for the community to play.
There are only five locations in this first chapter with five / six characters to meet.
I will be able to let you know what the consequences/results of your actions are.
It may help you to know some of the community
For any that don't remember , you got to use simple commands such as
> Go east
> look
> examine potato
> Use the sword of Azeroth on the monstrous jabberwocky.

They were reknowned for not understanding complex commands :D
See also: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Text_adventure
- - - 

> You awake one morning, to find yourself lying on damp grass. Sitting up, you can clearly see that you are in a woodland glade, pathways heading off to all sides. 
A smell of bluebells fills the air, and delicate butterflies dance about in pairs.

At the centre of the clearing, lit up in an otherworldly beam of sunlight is a glowing golden sandal, seemingly firmly embedded into a rock.

>

Comments

• > Tempted to pull out the golden sandal, to sell it for value rather then becoming a kind, you walk closer, bend your knees and attempt to pull it out. The sandal won't move.

You try even harder, it still won't move an inch. Instead of pulling out the sandal, you try to break the stone instead. It didn't go so well by hand, so you decide to call it a day and return with better equipment tomorrow.

*To be continued*
  • You are right that it wouldn't budge, but I can let you know that. :smiley: 

By the way, which direction are you trying to go in?
  • Love it ^^
  • Since the story is about a sandal, I was thinking about a comedy adventure.

The person returns the next day with bags full of equipment, but someone already took the sandal so the quest to find the sandal thief begins. But I didn't think this through yet, just brainstorming.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    As the title suggests this is intended as an old school text adventure, with old school commands such as : go east, look, examine, use etc etc <3

I know what has to happen for the sandal to come out and have five locations that can be visited. :D

I probably could have explained better. Sorry. :blush:
    I've re-edited the original post
  • Enjoyed it @Megs, great stuff! ;)^^
  • Remember this?

• Amazing!
    edited October 2017
    Edited the op again as I realised I was giving the wrong impression that you were limited to one action a day. Derpage brain.
    edited October 2017
    08 / 10 / 17

Location - Woodland glade:

@Nagash - You attempt to love the sandal in the stone, it is oddly unresponsive. 
    @Kratz - You remember having enjoyed the sandal a long time ago on a holiday to Barbados.
    @Lexmax - You are successful at remembering an old text adventure, sadly it fails to persuade the sandal
    @Karthos, @Megs - I don't understand that.

@FliP Intrepid persuasion level: Basic. Level required, Legendary. Sandal persuasion Fail. 

@FliP - You attempt to remove the sandal from the stone, no matter how much you pull it fails to budge. Whilst doing so however, you get a feeling.... like an itch in the back of your brain, you are sure that it could come out, it just requires a little pursuading.
    You then proceed to walk around in circles whilst trying to go in an undetermined direction

>Look

You are still all in a woodland glade, pathways heading off to all sides. (I will be adding a map to op too :) )
    A smell of bluebells fills the air, and delicate butterflies dance about in pairs.

At the centre of the clearing, lit up in an otherworldly beam of sunlight is a glowing golden sandal, seemingly firmly embedded into a rock.

You see some sort of meteor plummet down to the north of you.

>
  • Sigh same shit different world its the end time all over again 
  • I approach the sandal and put my foot in it.
  • @T-Elf , sadly the sandal is too large, so not only do you fail to go to the ball, but it also appears that it'd be a rather big shoe to fill.
    There is an itchy feeling from the back of your skull that could possibly be translated as a belly laugh at the sight of you with your leg in the air... This is obviously a great way to entertain it, unfortunately it does nothing to persuade it.

:D

edited October 2017
    Speak to sandal:
    "Dearest Sandal, if you would consent for me to free you from this stone prison, I would gladly make it my mission to take you around Verra and permit the noblest males to try you on til the proper fit is made to find our deserve'd king.  I will carry you in grand style and take good care of you."  Deep curtsey.

Short version: <speak to sandal> <persuade> <deep curtsey>
  • @Flip The sandal does indeed appear to be moved, as instead of the chuckling you now feel respect...

Intrepid persuasion level: Basic. Level required, Legendary. Sandal persuasion Fail. 

...however sadly, your personal level of ability to persuade the intrepid sandal is not high enough to make it change it's mind and leave it's current resting place.
    Possibly there is something around that might raise your ability to influence intrepid?
  • @Megs, I can't believe you sent me to Barbados, but fear not, I forgive you ;)

• Megs said:
    @Flip The sandal does indeed appear to be moved, as instead of the chuckling you now feel respect...

Intrepid persuasion level: Basic. Level required, Legendary. Sandal persuasion Fail. 

...however sadly, your personal level of ability to persuade the intrepid sandal is not high enough to make it change it's mind and leave it's current resting place.
    Possibly there is something around that might raise your ability to influence intrepid?

Was this meant for Flip or for me, T-Elf? as I did the persuade and was the post before the answer.
  • I hate myself. yes, it was for you. sorry :( I have no idea where FliP came from, with the possible exception of my stupid Kindle... or my stupid brain  Sorry.

• Goes to the nearest Carnagie class to learn the art of persuasion. 
    edited October 2017
    So it's become obvious to me that my brain is failing right now, taking me once more upon downward slope that will likely end up in some other new fun place that I've not been before.

Because of this, I think I'm going to be happier posting all of my planned text adventure as a 'walkthrough / story'

Thank you so much @T-Elf and everyone for getting involved <3

I apologize for all of the cliches that are about to come :)
    ----

> You awake one morning, to find yourself lying on damp grass. Sitting up, you can clearly see that you are in a woodland glade, pathways heading off to all sides. 

[spoiler]

[\spoiler]
    ---

Going North you would come across another glade, filled with scented bluebells and a picnic blanket set up, you'd see a floral thermos (filled with warm tea) and a heavy locked wooden box (this is something that you wouldn't be able to open and it's too heavy to carry) Because I was trying to get people moving I also included the following:
    You also see a dead body, it's head bashed in by what appears to have been a pot plant.
    This is almost entirely likely to have been the falling meteor, which is almost definitely a bowl of petunias.
    And the gentleman, who's lying there, his personal effects include a 'funky' torch (aka flashlight) and a handwritten note:

"Dearest Snuggleypoo, I'm sorry I can't get away off-world, however it would fill my heart with joy to see you on Tuesday. I agree with you, the curse is just superstitious nonsense. My love always, your Nooplings x x x x

He is garbed in an unusual military style formal uniform with an odd insignia on his chest. It's a red uniform. 

---
    Going south from the sandal glade would take you to the edge of a boggy swamp Where, lurking under a lilypad you would have found a very embarrassed frog that clearly thought it was a dwarf. Yes you've found an @DiuraFroggie
     [spoiler]

[\spoiler]
    Speaking strongly in a thick scottish accent she'd explain that she was naked and needed something to wear.

----

Going east from the sandal glade you'd find yourself in a dark cave. Without the torch you'd most likely be eaten by a Groo. Definately, absolutely not the same as a grue (tm) Though you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a line up. 

Going deeper into the cave you'd come across the @yeahitsreallyreallydefinatelynotnagashlich
    [spoiler]

[\spoiler]
    He keeps on trying to talk to you, but keeps on coughing.
    You also see that the cave is tastefully decorated with walls packed with bookcases, which close inspection would show include the book: "Tartans of the highlands, the scottish love of kilts"

----

Going East from the sandal glade would take you to a earthy mound filled with rabbit holes, including one with a door (yes I did a drawing, and it had a knocker but that's irrelevant to the walkthrough )

Knocking on the door you are greeted by a grumpy dwarvern bunny, and his whole family. Yes it's @Karthosbunny with @MrsKarthosbunny and @NanaKarthosbunny and all the multitude of their family!

[spoiler]

[\spoiler]

It appears he's desperate for something to make him get through the day with all of his family.

----
    So what do you do (continuing on next post due to post size)

• Spoiler faaaaaiiiiiiil

You take the thermos of tea and give it to Nagash, he's so grateful for something to get rid of his tickly throat that he lets you loose in his pantry and wine cellar where you find some home brewed carrot ale.

You take the carrot ale to Karthos but he's picky and wants to drink it out of something dwarfish.

You take the picnic blanket, notice it's tartan and give it to Diura who rewards you with a water snail horn, perfect for Karthos to drink out of.

Karthos rewards you with a really useful axe, which is great for opening the strong locked wooden box in the picnic glade.

The picnic box is full of sandwiches, tuna, cheese salad and blt's . It's odd, but there's rock music coming from the blt's.

Further inspection reveals a baconite! :

You take the baconite to the sandal, they have a chat, and because you've saved the sandals bacon, it thanks you and you get to wear it. 

End of chapter one.

I doubt they'll be a chapter two :D:D
  • This was quite enjoyable to say the least.  To say the most, it was wacky!
    Nice Megs!  
  • A very amusing story; it gave me a smile.  :)
  • Thanks @Megs! This was soo....@Megs :p