Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on Realistic Mechanics?

I used to really love when hunters in WoW had to carry ammo for their bow or guns with them.

I personally would really love to see this types of realistic limitations in game, I feel it makes them more fun and more immersive.

What more realistic mechanics would you like to see?

Comments

• Options
    Needing certain reagents to use uber powerful spells or utilities. Like how mages needed portal stones to form portals. Since fast travel will be practically non-existent in Ashes, I don't expect a portal spell to exist for players, but if it did I would definietly like to see it require a rare reagent(s) to be able to cast 
  • Options
    Food and water, light sources, suffering due to the elements, no minimap or automatic compass, sun rising in the east to assist navigation... There is far too much to list.
  • Options
    Would be cool to carry a heavy stone with you to increase fireball dmg as mage.
    Fireball animation would change to the burning stone instead of pure fire, but the stone wouldn't be consumed on cast, instead it would fly back at the end without fire.
    In return the mage would have limited bag space because the stone consumes most of his weight limit.
    So before going out, he can decide to take the stone for strong dmg, or leave the stone at home and have much bag space to carry stuff.

And similar stuff for other spells and various combat utensils.
  • Options
    The stone idea basically sounds like a weapon enchantment.

The general idea of realistic mechanics sounds nice, but I wouldn't overdo it to add unecessary difficulty and inconvenience to players.
  • Options

I'm hoping the realism is:

(a) The World - I'm hoping that Verra feels alive and the communities built will be vibrant and full of NPCs who discuss node development, politics of the time, your character's contribution, dastardly deeds you've done perhaps? It's so important that Intrepid maximise the engine's potential and avoid the static landscapes that have cursed some good MMOs.

(b) The Combat - this is perhaps the most contentious topic post Pax and I truly hope that Intrepid will develop the combat to be realistic in the sense that none of us will feel like we're spamming air when in combat. There's nothing worse than mashing your left mouse key and feel like you're hitting air or that you can just run through folks whilst in combat. They have to get the combat right, because if they don't, no matter how good the other facets of the game are, bad combat will undermine everything.    

• Options
    If you're going to do that, make melee classes carry a whetstone and have to sharpen their blade here and there.

Ultimately, for me, this falls into the same category as having to feed and water my avatar.  There's a level of micro management that I just don't want to have to deal with...

I think the compromise would be as suggested above, have consumables that give you a super effect.  Bows can still fire and use 99/100 of their abilities without arrows in your inventory, but if you want to use that one ability, it's actually tied to a consumable and not necessarily a skill button.  
  • Options
    I used to really love when hunters in WoW had to carry ammo for their bow or guns with them.

I personally would really love to see this types of realistic limitations in game, I feel it makes them more fun and more immersive.

What more realistic mechanics would you like to see?
    I've always been partial to having to carry ammo and the like. The only thing i see posing a problem is bag space in Ashes it looks like they are going for a weight based carry mechanic and its set low. Most games that did the ammo thing had excessively large bags and it didn't matter that you had 1000 arrows on you. I guess on that note i wouldn't want a ranger in my party to run out of arrows mid fight so the human factor comes back in. Unless the ammo is cheap or readily made out in the field it turns into a huge gold sink and a limiting factor exclusive any class combo that requires ammo. 

As far as my opinion goes realistic is awesome, give me lower movement speed in snow, change the way monsters act from night to day, fall damage can kill you etc.
  • Options
    Resistance-Gear that actually matters would be much obliged!
    (Vanilla WoW actually required players to seek-out different types of Gear)

I.e Sapphiron required you to have a high-level of Frost-Resistance-
    The High Priest Venoxis required a high-level of Nature-Resitance.
    (Without the Fights were Impossible)

^This concept was lost on later iterations of WoW
    The Remaster of Nax made Sapphiron a total FAIL!!!

Wow is Dead! I quite shortly after WOTLK when they added Achievements.

"Classic-Raider"
    They Nerfed level 60 content for Level 80(s) in 10x better gear.
    (That's when I quite and never looked-back- Blizzard is Terrible)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    @tugowar
    I agree.
    Realistic ammo limitations are great for a low fantasy survival game.
    Doesn't work well in a high fantasy rpg.
  • Options
    How about needing to re-sole your boots after so much running around?

Or maybe requiring your character to stop every few hours of game play to urinate. 

Oh, my favorite. Your character has to do his taxes every year in-game. They could have CPA as a profession!
  • Options
    Having to buy pipeweed everyday :(
  • Options
    There is most definatly a line between tedium and fun and some of the suggestions above would be the former not the latter.
  • Options
    Gods that both terrify and strike you with awe..... I want to feel like an unimportant ant :smiley:

Constellations \ fixed stars, I want to be able to make up tales about them...

Whilst I would love a realistic eco system, I know that's years off from being considered in an mmo. Although population having a real impact upon extinction would be nice. I  started a detailed thread a long while ago about this...

Poisonous! As a forager you learn which foods to take and which to avoid due to 'death by asphyxiation', etc etc...to date most mmos give you slow damage through possums, rather than: what where you thinking? You're dead. you're Deceased, you're no more, your singing with the choir invizibuule

This is a little thing, but given that the Tulnar are subterranean, and the lack of plants underground, I'd love to see them using fungus as cloth textiles... (historically 'amadou' polypore hats do exist..... so mushroom textiles please!)

It's been mentioned before elsewhere, but no trash items...everything historically was useful to somebody...

Appropriate weather clothing.

It'd be great to have to log off at a sensible location, player run roadside inns
    would be fantastic, buttbut this is a totally unrealistic thing to add to a game

pets thatthat intactinteract with the world 

• Options
    For combat realism, I don't think it needs to be "Hollywood Realism", but it needs to be responsive and have set of momentum and physics rule.

Wow, people here really do want Minecraft and Sims 3 in the game.
  • Options
    How so?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Megs said:
    How so?

Disclaimer: I'm only quoting the comments in this thread solely because @Megs asked me to explain the resemblance of suggestion, no objections on the comments themselves.

" Like how mages needed portal stones to form portals. "

In MC, you can telerport to End dimension by special crystal items which used for teleporting

"Food and water, light sources, suffering due to the elements, no minimap or automatic compass, sun rising in the east to assist navigation..."

MC doesn't direclty give you a compass and minimap though it takes time to craft them, until those, you use Sun. Also needs is a mini version of Sims needs.

"Poisonous! As a forager you learn which foods to take and which to avoid due to 'death by asphyxiation', etc etc.."

In MC you can get poisoned by the food you eat, like Raw Meat or Zombie Flesh. Same goes with Sims, when you eat spoiled or poisonous item, it will give you a negative moodlet.

"Would be cool to carry a heavy stone with you to increase fireball dmg as mage.
    Fireball animation would change to the burning stone instead of pure fire, but the stone wouldn't be consumed on cast, instead it would fly back at the end without fire."

This part reminded me Sims 2: AL, Sims 3: Supernatural and Sims 1: MM, that you need to gather some gems or plants to achieve something. And through item, the animation changes.

"I used to really love when hunters in WoW had to carry ammo for their bow or guns with them. "

In MC, arrows and all other throwable things are also limited and you have to stack them in your inventory.

"If you're going to do that, make melee classes carry a whetstone and have to sharpen their blade here and there."

In MC, weapons lose durability point, so you carry anvil and materials to repair it when it's about to be broken completely.

In general, survival, realism and needs reminded me MC and Sims.

• Options
    I am all for reagents and consumables for things. Ammo for a bow seems logical to me.
  • Options
    Ammo seems like a great idea, I played a hunter in vanilla WoW and although having to stop and buy bullets or arrows could be an inconvenience from time to time I feel that once it was removed something was missing.

Also food and water, maybe not 3-5(if your me) times a day for meal time specifically, however I think this sort of downtime for mana and health regen is very important.
  • Options
    I am also a yes vote for more realism. If they were to implement required spell components and arrows, there should also be a requirement for melee casters and healers. Each class should need a consumable they have to manage.
  • Options
    I like the idea of the consumables for "minor" stuff that shouldn't be a pain but I can also see some other folks point about bag weights and what not.

I think it is a good way to keep things from being too easy. Cheap stuff that can be made or bought from vendors is the way to go here imo
  • Options
    @Dolphin You know way too much about the Sims :P
  • Options
    I want my character to permadie if they catch dysentery or bubonic plague if I don't wipe.

Joking aside, I like bonuses derived from realistic things but I don't think they should hamper my gameplay. The good ol' food buffs, sharpening buffs, well-fit clothes, enjoyment and inspiration, bonuses for playing with people you've played with.

There are so many flavor of life bonuses you could add but they should be that, bonuses.
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    @Dolphin You know way too much about the Sims :P

Sims was my Offline RPG where I can kill people, and enjoy doing it.
  • Options
    Excuses...

You play Sims and enjoy it, admit it. There is no shame.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    FliP said:
    Excuses...

You play Sims and enjoy it, admit it. There is no sham
    Haven't I already stated that in my several comments? Even said I enjoyed doing it in my previous comment. What are u tryna diggin'?
  • Options
    I recall my Everquest days and I believe that dungeons / raids / farming / pvp / exploration / grinding should not be an experience where one can just show up and participate indefinitely on a whim. Activities within the game should take preparation and planning.

Utility skills / spells should require materials and reagents. Preferably obtained from other players or ingame activities such as gathering or hunting. Take the Everquest levitate spell as an example. Each cast consumed 1 batwing so buffing your party to safely reach a prime hunting spot would require a handful of reagents. Wipe and have to run back too many times and you would need to go resupply, giving other groups a chance to claim the area.

Bows / guns should require ammo for some skills to compensate for lack of consuming mana / power. Just as there should be different ammo types for different situations. This adds depth, complexity and a need to prepare or adjust for various situations.

The use of reagents / materials should not be overly harsh but should require forethought for a given situation causing players to become invested in the activity they are participating in, rather than the willy nilly zero preparation approach we often see in other games.
  • Options
    Ammo limits is a good idea, and it helps keep crafting relevant. I would like to play a class that never had to use magic, and only relied on real stats like stamina or strength, or intellect. Having to compensate for lack of magic by potion or jewelcraft.

I would fight to the ends of a world just to have the option of never having to use magic at all. I would grind for months just to unlock such an option. With an elf of course.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Noonie said:
    Ammo limits is a good idea, and it helps keep crafting relevant. I would like to play a class that never had to use magic, and only relied on real stats like stamina or strength, or intellect. Having to compensate for lack of magic by potion or jewelcraft.

I would fight to the ends of a world just to have the option of never having to use magic at all. I would grind for months just to unlock such an option. With an elf of course.
    "Magic killed my mother, and **** my father."

i assume that's your backstory at least. 
  • Options
    I am good for most forms of realism but please don't punish me for not logging in every day.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm completely against limiting the ammo.

It would affect only archers, who would be severely disadvantaged due to game not having fast travel (replenishing the ammo would take a loads of your time).

Just... no.

- Will magic casters be limited with consumable talismans which expire as they cast their spells?

- Will tanks warriors and rogues be limited by needing to carry sharpening stones to re-sharp their melee weapons all the time or their weapons become unusable?

- Will clerics be limited by needing to consume holy talismans to cast their heals, and when they are out they can't heal no more?

- Will bards be limited by needing to carry extra strings for their instrument, which would keep breaking after playing for a while?

Why would you only limit the archers?

Not to mention its very annoying to think about ammo all the time.