Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Auto Attack?

I'm not sure which staff members have experience from which studios, or who is the lead combat designer, but according to the site, at least some come from SOE where they worked on EQ2.

Now as anyone who played it for any length of time may recall, EQ2 used an auto attack combat system. If one was looking to optimize their DPS, this system "urged" certain classes to develop a sort of "cadence" to their combat. If you timed a skill improperly, you would lose an AA costing you DPS. Now I didn't play every class to end-game raid level, but I know this was max DPS efficiency for the dirge at one time; other classes, (tanks, heals, etc. I'm sure this didn't apply. I even used a 3rd party parser (Advanced Combat Tracker) that I set up to produce an audible *ding* to go along with every AA. After a little practice, I almost used it as a sort-of metronome for my combat during raids.

So, do any of you guys have experience with this type of system? What do you think of it? Do you want to see it in Ashes? I kind of liked it.

Comments

• I was a member of some of the top guilds worldwide in EQ2 for several years (quit around 2008 when I and my guild at the time, Chaotic Legion on Kithicor moved to a new game together). The auto-attack timing that you're referring to was definitely necessary for every single class that wanted to do any damage at all. For a short while, the meta was even to have healers standing within auto-attack range just to get the occasional smack in between spell casts. Coupled with the feature that kept your character facing the mob at all times I loved this implementation of attack. It helped enormously with curbing click-fatigue while attacking mobs with a lot of hp while also maintaining a skill gap between players that did or didn't properly time their abilities between auto-attacks.
  • Could you link a video? It sounds interesting to me.

Steven said there's no auto attack in Ashes but there are skills with low cooldown, I guess some stacking with them will be also implemented.
  • [quote quote=11013]I was a member of some of the top guilds worldwide in EQ2 for several years (quit around 2008 when I and my guild at the time, Chaotic Legion on Kithicor moved to a new game together). The auto-attack timing that you’re referring to was definitely necessary for every single class that wanted to do any damage at all. For a short while, the meta was even to have healers standing within auto-attack range just to get the occasional smack in between spell casts. Coupled with the feature that kept your character facing the mob at all times I loved this implementation of attack. It helped enormously with curbing click-fatigue while attacking mobs with a lot of hp while also maintaining a skill gap between players that did or didn’t properly time their abilities between auto-attacks.

[/quote]

I was in several of the top progression guilds on Butcherblock between probably 2005 thru 2008. Dirge was my best / normal raid toon, although I would bring my SK to off-tank once in a while. The only thing I didn't like about dirge was the designated rez bot duty. XD
  • [quote quote=11079]Steven said there’s no auto attack in Ashes[/quote]

Well I guess that answers that. Thanks.
  • auto attack in AOC is not gonna work well because of the mechanics of the skills
  • no autos