Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Skills or Abilities

Good Day,

I'm just wondering if in the game there will be "skills" or "abilities"

I ask because during the live stream it was said Skills, skill progression, skill tree, etc.  (October 16 Live Stream)

But in the game-play demo, it shows an abilities screen that appears to be the same things as the mages "skills" 

Just wanting to make sure that the right words are used in some pre-look videos. 

Comments

• Options
    Skill is the word used the most, I can't even remember them using the word "abilities" tbh xD
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Well there more skills then abilitys cause you can "skill" into your ability. So by that it becomes a skill XD :trollface:

• Options
    In very basic terms, abilities are natural or inbuilt while skills are learned behaviors.
    You need the ability to learn a skill. Learning skills builds and strengthens the ability.

Maybe they are following this? In order to build up those abilities you need to learn and use skills?   
    It seems to go in a circle.  lol  

• Options
    Yes its probably a somewhat trivial point, however, I have always considered that words matter.

Especially in situations where Archetypes have skills, but races might have abilities.

"How did you do that?"  Its a Racial/Archetype  thing

• Options
    The devs are mixing terms quite a bit.
    They also use archetype and class interchangeably.

• Options
    They need to put a penalty jar up the during the live streams.   Use the wrong word, in goes a dollar.   

• Options
    English is a confusing language. I believe that these abilities are also skills.
  • Options
    What we see in the screen are not skills or abilities.

What we see are "spells".

You need the ability to even cast the spell, and you need skill to cast it efficiently.
    It's just that people use both these terms inappropriately by habit.
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    They need to put a penalty jar up the during the live streams.   Use the wrong word, in goes a dollar.   

This ^^.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    we should also have one for every time some ask a new combat system ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
    Don't forget one for every time someone says endgame :D
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    Zastro said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
    What's that @Ziltch? :p
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Ziltch said:
    Zastro said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
    Endgame = deadgame 🙃
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Kratz said:
    Ziltch said:
    Zastro said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
    Endgame = deadgame 🙃
    But I like dead games it means my jobs is done and every one is a walking husk 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Zastro said:
    Kratz said:
    Ziltch said:
    Zastro said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Jahlon said:

This ^^.
    I second this ^^
    Endgame = deadgame 🙃
    But I like dead games it means my jobs is done and every one is a walking husk 
    I did not put an "un" in front of that dead. Everyone will be six feet under, unfortunately.
  • Options
    That's what we Necromancers will be for. We put the "un" in undead.
  • Options
    You really need to read what lichs can do my friend one could say it's "thrilling"
  • Options
    I agree with the OP: words matter. Precision in language facilitates effective communication. Games like MtG take this to an extreme and it pays off in clarity for edge cases. Thanks for the question.

I hear several theories here, but I'd like to hear the devs or moderators answer this definitively so we can discuss these topics in an authoritative and meaningful way. Maybe it hasn't been decided yet and maybe they're just using the words interchangeably. That's fine, let's just get clarity.

Thanks,