Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Classes living up to their names?

After looking at the classes a long i mean long time and thinking about it and what they said and how subclasses work, do you guys think that its just a name or will they live up to their title. Will a Necromancer really summon undead or is it just spells that also may heal or steal life. That was just an example, im just very weary right now since we haven't heard much about this lol.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, i was hoping for more diverse sub-names 
    • Especially since I put alot of time thinking about the Archetype-Names myself
    So it was kind of a let down ... BUT
    After considering that the Names felt very Old-school, i then reconsidered that and realized that its not so bad - almost fitting  :)

But yeah, i am hoping that each Archetype-Blend will be have vastly different traits ~~ a completely different Archetype ~~ as opposed to having only slight differences. 
  • Options
    I agree b/c this could make or break a game in my opinion. 
  • Options
    I doubt they chose the names just because they sounded cool and fit a spot on a chart. My guess would be that they had specific play-style in mind for Primaries and a good concept of how each secondary is going to augment that primary. Once they had those general concepts down I think they then added names. I would be interested in knowing what names were pitched but not chosen and why.

But... it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that maybe 2 (3 at the most) were filler-names that they didn't have a concept for but needed a name for.
  • Options
    Once we have the mechanics of how the sub-classing works, I imagine that we are going to have an explosion of discussion on the class names.

I think the team is reasonable, and that if a good argument can be put together for why a class name should be changed based on its play style, they will probably be receptive to it.

• Options
    The class name feel very D&D like so I see nothing wrong ^^
  • Options
    I personally don't have much interest in the Class titles names. For me what is important is the balance between the Primary Archetype and the Augments. I hope the augments don't influence the primary archetype too much. I hope class names don't  stray devs away from the idea of the primary archetype being your main role.

I want to be a Bard/Tank (Siren). I don't care for the name so much but I don't need the class to live up to the name. I want to be a bard with a tankier playstyle and Siren will just be a name.

• Options
    Diura said:
    I personally don't have much interest in the Class titles names. For me what is important is the balance between the Primary Archetype and the Augments. I hope the augments don't influence the primary archetype too much. I hope class names don't  stray devs away from the idea of the primary archetype being your main role.

I want to be a Bard/Tank (Siren). I don't care for the name so much but I don't need the class to live up to the name. I want to be a bard with a tankier playstyle and Siren will just be a name.

Pooka want's to know the answer to the real question.....Since frogs are squishy, can they really tank?
  • Options
    I just think that you shouldn't overthink it and pigeonhold the class to a name. I just recently had a discussion about "what a crusader is" and was shocked about the narrow view on it. 
    I umderstand that there is some strong romanticized association to the crusader wars but the word crusader is a lot more diverse than that.
    So "living up to it's name" is a matter of subjective view.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    I want to be a Bard/Tank (Siren).

Can't wait to hear you go NEE NAW NEE NAW NEE NAW on Discord as you ravage helpless folks on transit.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    I want to be a Bard/Tank (Siren).

Can't wait to hear you go NEE NAW NEE NAW NEE NAW on Discord as you ravage helpless folks on transit.

• Options
    I think this is a good question you got discord? Why not ask Steven himself on the next livestream I am sure most people would like to know the answer 
  • Options
    Pooka said:
    Diura said:

Pooka want's to know the answer to the real question.....Since frogs are squishy, can they really tank?
    Froggo tells Pooka that froggo won't be tank cuz froggo picked Bard as primary archetype. Tank as secondary archetype means froggo isn't tank but is still bard DX so froggo still kinda squishy. QQ

@Kratz Okaaaaaaaaaaay now I want a class title name change lmao! I don't want to be the cop class QQ
  • Options
  • Options
    It depends how you interpret the class names, some people might have a different opinion on what those names could stand for, but I do think that something like a Necromancer will be able to summon undead.
  • Options
    Hi there community of Ashes Of Creation, I would like to know if there is a level up systeme and  if its the cases what is going to be the max level at the beginning?

• Options
    @Corblimey. There will be a leveling system, level cap @ release in 2020 has not been 100% confirmed. They have thrown some examples out, like gaining your augment class at 30 IF the cap is 50.

Also, welcome to the Ashes Community!