Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will Clerics be the only class that can heal?

Just a quick question, will other classes than cleric be able to heal? I do not mean that all classes should be able to become healers but will for example summoners be able to life steal? The reason I'm asking is that I love the class fantasy "norm" of shamans, and in the games that I can, I play a healer shaman. I enjoy the fantasy of using the elements and nature to defend, protect and heal my allies. I do realize that this will not be the case in Ashes since shaman is not under the cleric category but instead under the summoner category. I'm just wondering if I could use some minor healing spells as a dps/tank? I've seen games were the lines are never crossed and tanks tank, dmg does dmg. I do find it more fun tho when for example the healer is out of mana and I can panic heal the tank for ten seconds until the healer is back on his feet. It just makes me feel more useful and fulfilling, it also raises the skill gap and importance of coms, which in my eyes is a good thing. 

So what do you guys think, never cross the line or mix and match as much as possible? :D   

Comments

• With Ashes class system, you could have a lot of classes able to heal if you pick Cleric as your secondary Class. But I think Steven said somewhere that Clerics where supposed to be the main healers whilst having cleric as a secondary would give your Main class some self-healing augments to your skills.
  • Exactly what @Zinnie said. The cleric will be the primary healing class. Healing skills are all upon the cleric archetype. The secondary class grants augmentations to the skills of the primary class. This might include life-stealing etc, but I'm pretty sure that as a primary ranger you'll never be able to heal your allies (even though you might be able to heal your pet).
  • Continuing what Herdo said I would also imagine that Bards will have some limited heal-over-time capacity that comes from a song as a support class. So perhaps you could combine that with another class for some very limited healing. It's all speculation at this point sadly :P
  • Well i am actually also interested about the main roles of classses. Are those just like this:
    • Tank = Tank
    • Fighter = Damage dealer
    • Mage = Damage dealer
    • Ranger = Damage dealer
    • Rogue = Damage dealer
    • Summoner = Damage dealer ?
    • Cleric = Healer
    • Bard = Support
  • Ferryman said:
    Well i am actually also interested about the main roles of classses. Are those just like this:
    • Tank = Tank
    • Fighter = Damage dealer
    • Mage = Damage dealer
    • Ranger = Damage dealer
    • Rogue = Damage dealer
    • Summoner = Damage dealer ?
    • Cleric = Healer
    • Bard = Support
    I think the direction they want to go with summoner and bard is a hybrid damage/support which was a bit of a let down for me. Been really hoping for a good pet class game.. have to wait and see. 

Has for the main question it looks like main sources of healing and purifying abilities is going to come directly from the cleric. None of the other classes we know about seem to have healing ability but I'm sure we will know more in the next couple months. 
  • I think the direction they want to go with summoner and bard is a hybrid damage/support which was a bit of a let down for me. Been really hoping for a good pet class game.. have to wait and see. 

Has for the main question it looks like main sources of healing and purifying abilities is going to come directly from the cleric. None of the other classes we know about seem to have healing ability but I'm sure we will know more in the next couple months. 
    Hmmmm. I think i saw somewhere that bard could heal a bit (and not talking about bard/cleric), so it can be played as off healer, but i am not sure about this.

What it comes to damage dealers, i guess mage, ranger or rogue could easily have set of skills, which are more about CC than damage, so you could play those kind hybrid of Damage and support. Support which distracts, debuffs and CC's enemies. I would really like that option. That way we would have basically 5 different roles where support are divided to buffers (support) and debuffers (distractor).