Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Trash drops

Just a minor concern. I'm really hoping ashes doesn't do any junk drop items like gw2 does. Its pointless, waste of time and waste of bag space. For revolutionizing the mmo genre, i hope every drop item has meaning and potential to be used in an effective manner. Granted it might be time consuming for devs but i really hope junk drops aren't a thing.

While i'm at it, hopefully filler mobs wont be a thing either. As long as drops have meaning and use though, no mob can be considered filler in my opinion.

And lastly a question: Do drop items appear in our bad or will they actually drop and we have to pick them up?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    They stated in a livestream a long time ago that loot should have use and meaning and that they were not "fans of junk drops." As to the actual looting mechanic, nothing has been confirmed. Systems that you may have seen in A0 videos are not indicative of final systems/decisions on loot mechanics.
  • Options
    Hi @MADE, you know you CAN get your point across just as well without throwing insults like that. Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't make them "dumb", it just makes you seem narrow minded. 
  • Options
    Mama always said, "Waste not, want not."  All that trash others left behind I looted and sold. It sure adds up.  Bones make decent tooth picks for ogres and dwarfs like practice smashing rocks.   Sticks and feathers are needed to make arrows.  Oh, that cog you discarded was used by the farmer down the road!    Bah junk!  Who needs it?
  • Options
    As i recall, trash drops just appeared in my bag in gw2 so th option to not loot wasn't there. Yes trash money does add up. I won't deny that but theres better ways to do things than give trash drops. You know like give a better purpose to trash items so they no longer remain trash. Bones can be made into tools/weapons/jewelery. feathers can be made into arrows, sticks... can be made into pulp for paper? idk just throwing ideas at this point. 

One mans garbage is another mans gold right?
  • Options
    Mama always said, "Waste not, want not."  All that trash others left behind I looted and sold. It sure adds up.  Bones make decent tooth picks for ogres and dwarfs like practice smashing rocks.   Sticks and feathers are needed to make arrows.  Oh, that cog you discarded was used by the farmer down the road!    Bah junk!  Who needs it?
    Never underestimate bone. I can make war machines of the most dangerous type - animated golems of bone, bolt throwers that fire the thigh bones of Giants, catapults that throw screaming skulls and many more good stuff ^^
  • Options
    For me, I just want realistic drops. I never understood why a wolf would be walking around with a longsword and some silver... unless he was moonlighting as a merc >.>
  • Options
    I don't recall where I heard it, but I remember a dev (NOT an AoC dev) talking about trash/bagspace. Referred to it as a type of minigame with bag management. I think I can understand where they were coming from, and I can agree from a high level design perspective, but if the purpose of trash items is just to generate gold for you, I'd rather the items have value to players and then the free market of players will determine the actual value of something.

You can sell a Jade Breastplate in WoW to a vendor for a few gold pieces, but to players its value is in the tens of thousands due to the demand for transmog.

If mobs drop some random body part that has no function to anyone except to sell to a vendor, I'm not sure I'm thrilled about that. But if it can be used in a crafting recipe, that would make me happy, even if 90% of the time it just got vendored anyway.
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    For me, I just want realistic drops. I never understood why a wolf would be walking around with a longsword and some silver... unless he was moonlighting as a merc >.>
    have you seen the Sif he uses a huge sword ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Never underestimate bone. I can make war machines of the most dangerous type - animated golems of bone, bolt throwers that fire the thigh bones of Giants, catapults that throw screaming skulls and many more good stuff ^^
    Toss a bone or two into the pot for a hearty soup! Then use it to reinforce your fence or sharpen your dino's teeth.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I'd rather get extra money than trash loot.

But Trash loot serves a purpose - it lets you loot something....imagine killing your first 6 mobs and only getting a few coins - kinda disappointing.

Maybe they will let the trash be processed into something slightly more valuable like a low level crafting ingredient.
  • Options

But Trash loot serves a purpose - it lets you loot something....imagine killing your first 6 mobs and only getting a few coins - kinda disappointing.

Maybe they will let the trash be processed into something slightly more valuable like a low level crafting ingredient.
    I'm the opposite.. I would rather only see worthwhile things drop. 

See I don't think meat and hide should drop from animals unless you are a butcher or skinner. It would take some sort of knowledge and tools to be able to harvest these without damaging them. I'd like to see a leather or cloth processor be able to spot salvageable materials off of slain humanoids. 

This game is suppose to have semi-realistic inventory capacity. So I really don't understand what the point of trash drops are. I don't know what would help by having broken/useless weapons and armor quickly filling up your inventory.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I never really thought about this up until I read this thread, but I think I agree with the OP. I'd rather everything that drops be useful for something or someone, this way you can go sell it in town later, instead of spamming a button to sell it at the vendor. It's another reason to use the market, move the economy and interact with people to sell or trade things.
  • Options

I am quite sure that mobs (humanoids) drop money and useable items. The items can be sold or salvaged back to some crafting materials. Animals drops crafting ingredients which makes sense like skins, hides, furs, meat, fangs, teeth, bones f.e. 

People can then either sold looted items/ingredients to another players in marketplace or use those to crafting by themself. So there is absolutly zero reason to have trash loot in game, which only purpose is been sold to NPC vendor to get few coins. 

There will be on top of that rare items and can be vanity items, but vanities can be separated from trash drops as being cosmetics and/or for decoration.
  • Options
    I still think the devs will go with an 'ingredients instead of trash' system - they do need to keep global crafting alive.  With the amount of  killing, I highly doubt only dropping useful gear will happen.
  • Options
    One of the easiest ways to deal with trash drops would be to make them into some sort of materials for alchemy/construction/blacksmithing anything really.
  • Options
    I just don't like the idea of needing every mob to drop something. If you make every mob drop stuff that is useful for crafting it'll ruin the market. If every animal dropped skin and meat and bones and fangs you'd destroy so many markets. If you have have drops require some proficiency to gather something (butchers for meat and bones/fangs) (skinners for hide) then you'd put these materials into the hands of the gatherers which is the ones that should be setting the prices and providing the supply. 

I'd rather see money come from crafting and adventuring or working the market.  
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I just don't like the idea of needing every mob to drop something. If you make every mob drop stuff that is useful for crafting it'll ruin the market. 

Whos idea that was?

If you were referring to my post, i just gave examples what animals could drop instead of trash loot. And yes some things like hides could be got from skinning for example, but butcher goes to process category to make most sense.
  • Options
    As I always say , One mans trash is another mans treasure.
    Lol seriously wether its trash or not i want realistic drops  as mentioned by other commentators already. No Wolves with longswords and silver is my vote!!!
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I just don't like the idea of needing every mob to drop something. If you make every mob drop stuff that is useful for crafting it'll ruin the market. If every animal dropped skin and meat and bones and fangs you'd destroy so many markets. If you have have drops require some proficiency to gather something (butchers for meat and bones/fangs) (skinners for hide) then you'd put these materials into the hands of the gatherers which is the ones that should be setting the prices and providing the supply. 

I'd rather see money come from crafting and adventuring or working the market.  
    Even every mob would drop something (no need but if), that does not mean it will ruin markets. All depends how the whole system is implemented, because you dont know how many tiger fangs you need to craft a necklace for example. So what i am saying, that it is easy to raise the number of needed fangs to necklace if it looks like there is too many of fangs in sell.

I agree with you that skinner as gatherer should be the one who gathers the hides from corpse, but the killer should get loot drops something like fangs, horns and chunk of deer meat. And that chunk of deer meat can be sold to butcher (processor), which process the chunk to fillets. Now those fillets goes for cooks. Maybe in butchering process, butcher gets on top of fillets bones, which can be used for tools or accessories and if butchering birds, maybe butcher can get feathers too, which are needed to make arrows for example. 

And the money needs to come in game from somewhere. Common way is make humanoids drop money. Also there should be other ways too like treasure chests and such. To balance the amount of money in game it needs to sink out of the game somehow. That can be used via different kind of taxes, NPC vendors, cash shop etc...

And generally i think people have different idea what trash/junk item means. To me every item which have its purpose as part of some kind of crafting are not categorized as trash. Those are ingredients and have meaning.

Trash items are imo those, which have nothing other use than just fill your bag space and you can sell those later to NPC vendor to get few coins. Usually you just throw those out of bag. This happens a lot in WoW f.e. That kind of items is not needed at all and should not be implemented at first place. 
  • Options
    To expand on @Ferryman point, i agree that every mob dropping skin meat fangs has potential to ruin markets but like ferryman said, depends on the system. Not every fang meat and bone type is the same. I dont expect a serpent to be dropping the same fangs as a wolf. if theres variety in drops and variety in crafting recipes and end product values, then things will always have their respective uses
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Loyheta said:
    I just don't like the idea of needing every mob to drop something. If you make every mob drop stuff that is useful for crafting it'll ruin the market. If every animal dropped skin and meat and bones and fangs you'd destroy so many markets.
    Unless they drop something like "Hide Shreds" and it takes 100.  A Gatherer could gather "Whole Hide" and a Processor could convert either the 100 shreds or the whole hide into 'Leather.'

All drops are valuable, and skills remain valuable as well.  Process-er can use the 'trash loot' fueling the global economy while the Gather-er is worth several dozen of those regular kills.
  • Options
    Even if butcher is a processing profession I don't see how they couldn't grant passives to increase the amount of animal parts harvested. 

When I say that something can ruin the market, I mean that if every single thing drops meat and hide, unless there is an equal or greater amount of demand, it'll flood the market and tank its value. So yeah I don't really see why the standard adventurer couldn't gather 3 fangs and 5 broken fangs; two torn hide and a hide piece; 1 chunk of meat and 2 units of fat; which they could bring to the appropriate processor to have them processed into usable goods (broken fangs into bone powder for alchemy, torn hide into leather strips, units of fat into soap or candles) I'd like to see a processor be more proficient and get more of the higher quality stuff. 

That said whole fangs should yield more powder so that you don't only need the lesser/junkier versions to get those. 

My counter would be just have less items drop to the normal players.. enough to trickle into the economy and have butchers able to gather more. That way you add more value to the profession. You can do this with all professions to give them additional value and actually make them feel useful. Remove the broken parts and just write them off as useless junk and inventory clutter. 

I personally don't see the point of collecting 3 broken and 1 good when you can just gather 2 good and have a relevant profession gather 4. Why needlessly complicate when you can just refine?