Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ability Cooldowns. AoE abilities

Where to begin... lemme gather my thoughts for a second...

I like games that use longer or shorter cooldown on individual abilities.
Disabling abilities usually have a high cooldown
Strong abilities have an even higher CD
"Ultimate abilities" have a serious CD and players need to use them when the time os right.
Utility abilities have CD depending wether ther are buffs, movement, debuffs. Some have a very low CD others higher.

Roque classes tend to have low CD abilities that can hurt
Warrior classes have multy effect abilities, each and one with a ususlly high CD.
Mages have a short CD on their main attacking abilities with some serious spells that have great impact usually on higher CD.
Healers have some SAVE THE GROUP abilities on high CD, but they have heals that on low CD, ready for use at any moment.

Then there are games like Eso in which the player can spam an abilty ever second until they run out of MP.

I think it is healthier for an mmorpg if each ability has it's own CD based on how complex or powerful the effects are.

AoE playstylle.
Personslly I find it bad when every character has access to AoE on low CD.
I find it bad when every character has access to a strong AoE that can drop on targets at the save time as their friends resulting in massive wipeouts in an instant.

My first mmorpg was Line][Age.
In the first 5 years of the game there were only 4 out of 30 classes that could use situational AoE abilities.
This resulted in glorious fights in which You would focus on killing the enemy in front of you, your friends next to you would focus on their enemies.
Today it's all an AoE blob mess.

Eso is an example of terrible AoE playstyle.

A group of 24 people will have 2 healers that spam AoE heal every second, 2 tanks that spam AoE root and AoE barriers every second and 20 dps spamming AoE damage every second while they have AoE DoT active that moves together with their character.
In Eso people in mass fights dont look at their character or the enemy in front of them.
They just follow the crown on top of the head of their group leader, spamming their AoE ability, looking out for green circles on the ground(friendly heal) and they stay within it. They look for red circles on the ground, enemy AoE DoT and they stay out of it while their spam their AoE ability.

I believe that AoE should be restricted by:
Cooldown
Strength
Synergy only(perhaps)
Class ability.

I have missed real combat. It like to look at my enemy while I fight them. Id like to look at active combat.
Id like to look at my friends fighting their target beside me.

AoE blobs are not good for mmorpgs.
Not good for videos thast's for sure

Comments

• They just follow the crown on top of the head of their group leader, spamming their AoE ability, looking out for green circles on the ground(friendly heal) and they stay within it. They look for red circles on the ground, enemy AoE DoT and they stay out of it while their spam their AoE ability.

Yeah... sounds rather dreadful.

But then, I always thought that the requirement for only one tank was silly as well. Dozens of goblins and orcs on the field... all of them going for one armour-clad warrior while completely ignoring the squishy mages and healers clustered together in the back? Utter lunacy.
  • Ah the spam in ESO made it feel kind of boring it didnt even feel like Im using abilities but just spaming different basic attacks.
  • @gb1990gaming
    In both your posts, i understand exactly what you mean. I just figured ( and hoped ) everyone would've known that by now tbh
  • @Eragale
    Thank you.
    When I was on the Eso forums people could not understand certain said things. Then I found out that they did not play another mmorpg, but only TES games. (Single player, no CD on abilities)
    The concept of CD is important in mmorpg.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    @gb1990gaming dang ... i guess there's cringe/ cancer in every MMORPG ... but i guess its not surprising  - this is the Era of instant-gratification after all  :/
  • I think with all things, it will need tweaking and balancing over several iterations before everything feels like it should. 

That said, I'm curious to know how the balance of secondary classes come in to play. The possibility of having an OP ability that gets it's CD cut in half due to a quirk of the secondary class might be hard to balance or get nerfed into un-playability.
  • I think with all things, it will need tweaking and balancing over several iterations before everything feels like it should. 

That said, I'm curious to know how the balance of secondary classes come in to play. The possibility of having an OP ability that gets it's CD cut in half due to a quirk of the secondary class might be hard to balance or get nerfed into un-playability.
    I can't see it being any harder to balance than anything else in the game.

Say for example you are a Tank main class and you take the Cleric secondary class and one of the augments is a self-heal whenever you use a specific attack and deal a Crit and it heals for 80% of that Crit damage.

They won't have to really worry about the base skill at all, they can tweak the numbers of the augment bonus separately from the base skill that triggers it.

It's not really much different than most other games that have Talent trees and other similar systems that end up modifying and enhancing existing skills.
  • I'm sorry but I'll defend ESO in this way, If you like action combat oriented play-style then that game is for you. If you want a game like AOC that's trying to be something from both worlds ( action / tab targeting) then you will like it. 

But that doesn't mean ESO combat is bad, in fact it's real fun when you dodge and block and survive. So it's just a matter of opinion and taste into what we want to have in AOC combat.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Im sorry but I have played action combat mmorpgs and ESO is a terrible mess of glitched mechanics.
    It appears to me that you havent played many action combat games that dont have a global CS. Sad

You keep repeating that the dodge block of ESO is the only action combat out there. Eso is bad.
  • If Ashes does take something from ESO combat I hope it won't be the weaving. 
  • Don't even start bringing up ESO combat mechanics for pvp  B) Being hit by 1 player with 16 attacks in 1 second and you just drop dead.....sorry but that's not a play-style where by the time you react to your attacker you are already dead.  :|
  • Draqonin said:
    Don't even start bringing up ESO combat mechanics for pvp  B) Being hit by 1 player with 16 attacks in 1 second and you just drop dead.....sorry but that's not a play-style where by the time you react to your attacker you are already dead.  :|
    There were a few things I believe Zenimax got wrong but the combat weaving was the pits. I really did enjoy the PvP though up until the lightning patch, then I said farewell.
  • Kratz said:
    Draqonin said:
    Don't even start bringing up ESO combat mechanics for pvp  B) Being hit by 1 player with 16 attacks in 1 second and you just drop dead.....sorry but that's not a play-style where by the time you react to your attacker you are already dead.  :|
    There were a few things I believe Zenimax got wrong but the combat weaving was the pits. I really did enjoy the PvP though up until the lightning patch, then I said farewell.
    I'm still playing it :smile:  but it's time for something new. Can't wait for Ashes release,  game sounds promising...we'll see.