Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PvP servers/regions

You walk outside the safety of the town to embark on your quest - then are immediately ganked. Sound annoying? Yeah it's not for everyone, that's why in World of Warcraft they had PvP servers for the weirdos who enjoyed that kind of thing, and PvE servers for those that didn't. There are a certain class of players who like the freedom to be able to do what they want in the open world, and if they want to kill players, they would rather be able to do so without too much consequence, aside from reputation damage.

I personally prefer a game with a punishing and unforgiving PvP system, so that I can feel a sense of danger upon leaving the safety of a city or town, rather than just a pretty landscape to look at. Having to keep an eye open for who might be around the corner whilst gathering resources or doing quests is exactly what keeps me ticking; expected PvP events, such as guild wars, sieges, and arena, as much as I love fully engaged PvP events like this, are just not the same!

I know AoC still has a while to go yet in regards to it's combat and PvP systems, so I understand nothing is finalised yet, but I am just wondering if there's any plans to cater towards this particular class of players, such as having different types of servers where perhaps the corruption system is more relaxed, or certain regions that could be considered "out in the wilderness", where the corruption system does not apply?

Comments

• Intrepid has said no to specific servers such as PVE only or PVP servers or Even Specific RP servers. All the servers will be the same according to IS.
  • World of Warcraft is a themepark, not a game based around building the world around you.

The corruption system they have designed is the best way to allow for open world PvP but to prevent unnecessary PKing or turning the game into a gankbox.

With that said, there will not be PvE servers because they couldn't function given the game design.   

• It's a shame there's so few games out there now days with a free open world PvP system :(

Modern WoW's OW PVP system was destroyed after flying mounts, so if Chronicles of Elyria flops after it's release, I guess it's back to classic WoW next year!
  • PvP is an integral part of the game, be it military conflict or economic conflict.

Based on what we know so far, the further outside towns and cities you venture the more dangerous that it's going to be and venturing from the safety of the town guardsmen is always going to come with an inherent risk.

It's not going to be a mindless gankfest for the most part but it's certainly going to require players to watch their backs if they're out adventuring as some other players are naturally going to want to take what you have by force.

• The problem with the punishing and unforgiving PvP system you describe is that it attracts serial gankers - players who delight in seeking out and killing defensless players again and again and again. This frequent victimization drives the PvE-focused players out of the game, leading to a massive loss of revenue, and then maintenance mode as the population becomes to small to support a large development team.

Modern WoW's OW PVP system was destroyed after flying mounts, so if Chronicles of Elyria flops after it's release, I guess it's back to classic WoW next year!

Best of luck, and may you find the ganking game play you are looking for. :)
  • People tend to forget that the corruption system is not something people can 'enjoy' but at the same time there will be pvp zones that will allow those crazy weirdos *raises hand in chair* to go all out and kill each other. The corruption is something that gives you a feeling of danger from players in the open world but you know that they will probably not attack.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    @peppergrind there could be environmental hazards. I'm sure the seasons will play a larger role
  • ok thanks guys, I'll be giving this game a try when it comes out and i'll see where I go from there :)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Nefelia said:

The problem with the punishing and unforgiving PvP system you describe is that it attracts serial gankers - players who delight in seeking out and killing defensless players again and again and again. This frequent victimization drives the PvE-focused players out of the game, leading to a massive loss of revenue, and then maintenance mode as the population becomes to small to support a large development team.

Best of luck, and may you find the ganking game play you are looking for. :)
    this is why there should be PvP nodes where people are forced into combatant mode, or just servers where the corruption rules are more relaxed. If PvE'ers want to stay away from these, they can easily do just that.

At the moment we have the worst of both worlds (to quote my other thread): Non-combatants lose *more* than combatants, and then there's corruption. i.e. non-PvPers will be forced to do something they don't want, and punished for it if they don't, while PvPers will *also* be punished for doing what they love.
  • Its not the worst of both worlds

You have so many different meaningful PvP opportunities AND you have open world PvP.  You just have to accept that there are people who won't fight back.  At that point you have to decide, do you kill them and get corruption or stop and walk away.   

Not really a hard decision and in no way makes this "the worst of both worlds"
  • Oh no. Not this again
    For the love of god please no. Close this thread before it gets nasty
  • Oh no. Not this again
    Folks are being nice providing information and the OP has accepted their responses well and will be trying out the game regardless, I think itll be okay xD
  • Alluring said:
    Oh no. Not this again
    Folks are being nice providing information and the OP has accepted their responses well and will be trying out the game regardless, I think itll be okay xD
    give it a week  :*
  • @VoidShadow tbh there's nothing to debate over - PvP is an essential part of this MMO - it'll fail to function without it 
  • @nagash
    Wait til I get back from work tomorrow...  >:)
  • Zukias said:
    this is why there should be PvP nodes where people are forced into combatant mode, or just servers where the corruption rules are more relaxed. If PvE'ers want to stay away from these, they can easily do just that.

At the moment we have the worst of both worlds (to quote my other thread): Non-combatants lose *more* than combatants, and then there's corruption. i.e. non-PvPers will be forced to do something they don't want, and punished for it if they don't, while PvPers will *also* be punished for doing what they love.

From what I've seen, there will be plenty of opportunity for casual murder: caravans, guild and node wars (separate from actual sieges), open world dungeons, and contested zones.

If open world murder is your thing, then you should consider forming or joining a guild that plans on warring frequently. That should afford plenty of OWPvP play without being burdened with corruption.
  • I'm hoping the devs are taking an approach of relative safe zones out in the world. Zones where you can PK if you'd like, but you'll have the guards after you in addition to the corruption!

Players who venture into other zones in hopes of better resources or experiences need to be prepared for the consequences.

Something like EvE is what I imagine, places of relative safety, but we all know the moto 'don't undock what you can't afford to lose'. Maybe Ashes could be, 'don't unsheath what you can't reforge'. :)