Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Patriarchy/Matriarchy system , Please use asherons call as an example.

I would love it if Ashes of creation took some pointers from Asherons call. You never hear about it these days, but Asherons call was one of the best MMOs I ever played in my life.
It allowed people to "follow" another player which created a patronage. The older, more experienced player would help out a newer, weaker player and a portion of the newer players experience points garnered would flow up to the patron. This created a huge chain of experience that made its way to Patriarchs/Matriarchs. This created HUGE guilds, Mansions served as guild halls, and there was a true fellowship between the players, actual reasons to follow people.  Even their lore development, stat and skill system, crafting system, everything about it was ten times better than any other MMO I have played so far, it's a shame it died out but it was just such an old game. I really hope the devs know of it and draw a bit of inspiration. 

Comments

• Hahahaha...the last thing this game is going to do is create a system where exp flows up. The fervor over Stevens MLM background has died down, but imagine the memes if they instituted a system like that. "It's not a pyramid scheme, it is an inverted trapazoid of exp chains in your downline!"
  • Don't really need this system in Ashes.

Not really the method that Intrepid is using for the game, so it wouldn't really fit.

• The had mentoring in EQ2...which I am pretty sure they are familiar with.  When enough time goes by, it will make more and more sense as the initial wave moves forward.
  • I like the sponsor system of Line][Age.
    I guild member would invite a newbie in the guild academy. The guild would earn points from members leveling up, killing enemies, completing character improvement quests, which could be used to increase the guild lv (lv 1-2 more member slots, 3 enable guild icon, 4 formation alliance)

The academy members would be able to complete a 40min-1h queat that would provide them with a gear set for low lvs 10-15. Once the academy members unlocked the 2nd stage of their class (by a 1-2 day quest) the guild would gain lots of points, the newbie would graduate/expelled a d decide whether they wanna join the guild.

That created bonds between academy members and their sponsors, later to be group members.
  • Not sure if AoC needs this kind of system, the Asherons Call concept is a good system for forming long term relationships between players though. I still play with my guys from 19 years ago, even though none of them are from my home country. 
  • So who pays the wages for babysitting then ? xD
  • Not sure if it will be implemented in the way you talk about but they have mentioned a mentoring program that gives higher level players an incentive to help newer players.

• Depending on how the starting location is implemented, this is what will make location and control of the closest node the MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER.  the influx of newbies to a starting area will provise a unique situation for these towns.

Unless where you are dumped in the world is truly randomized, being a in a place that receives an influx of newbies looking for the fast track will provide a potential(if perhaps disloyal) batch of bodies and contribution.
  • Depending on how the starting location is implemented, this is what will make location and control of the closest node the MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER.  the influx of newbies to a starting area will provise a unique situation for these towns.

Unless where you are dumped in the world is truly randomized, being a in a place that receives an influx of newbies looking for the fast track will provide a potential(if perhaps disloyal) batch of bodies and contribution.
    You can choose from a few nodes to start with if not any of them so while there will be more populated areas I think it's going to be more based on guilds and so on that will spawn in large groups.