Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What would be your choice regarding a Mage.

Pick one and please explain why?

Comments

• Because Melee Magic is dope!

Really hoping I can find an appropriate way to mix magic into being a melee kind of style and be effective for PvPing. Otherwise I'll go Mage/Mage for pure power
  • You're not a real mage unless you're a mage/mage.
  • Necro for life  
  • Mage/mage.. 
    Cos if you're going to play a glass cannon, may aswell go all out on one that hits hardest.
  • KingOelc said:
    Necro for life  
    Necro is Summoner/Cleric. Mage/Summoner is Warlock according to their class list. Just fyi.

And I went Mage/Mage. This is what appeals to me the most. I could be persuaded to try Mage/Bard and go Sorcerer. It will just depend on the aesthetic more than anything for me honestly. But mage is my life. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I can imagine the purist magic users would want to lynch me for choosing Mage/Rogue, but I can see it as being a good utility player. Area effect invisibility cloaking. Group teleport for GTFO situations. Probably some other stuff I cant think of right now. 
  • give me a summoner anything and I will be happy ^^
  • I always go full on mage, I might make a mage bard for a more support like alt though. 

but my main will be all pew pew 
  • I believe the Mage/Mage will put out a little more dpsbut will be not as helpful to the party.  My opinion is that there will be a need for the added flavor of mixed classes than traditional games.
  • Tank, simply cause I always play tanks
    edited August 2018
    Between Mage / Mage and Mage / Rouge I would go for the latter if the invisibility is on the Rouge tree, other wise I would stick with Mage / Mage 
  • Necromancer or Warlock....We Draugar know our place in the Underworld.  Hoping the game includes the ability to use my plot of land to add a crypt!
  • The biggest amount of firepower, who needs some fancy gimmicks when you can drop a meteorite or maybe create a black hole and be done with the pesky insects.
  • Which of these specialize in crowd control?  I like the illusionist in EQ2.  Maybe that is mage/bard.
    edited August 2018
    I say mage/bard, if I can make you dance and sing out loud at the top of your lungs as you try to attack me!
  • I’d be a holy fireballer.
  • This one got me thinking about the physicality of a mage, so I went with spellstone. 
  • Draugar said:
    Necromancer or Warlock....We Draugar know our place in the Underworld.  Hoping the game includes the ability to use my plot of land to add a crypt!
    Did we just become undead friends?
  • nagash said:
    Draugar said:
    Necromancer or Warlock....We Draugar know our place in the Underworld.  Hoping the game includes the ability to use my plot of land to add a crypt!
    “So no one told me unlife was gonna be this way...”
  • If the old games taught us anything, its that the scariest solo player option is often the mage with a pet.
  • A mage that can transform 1handed swords into greatswords and can boost physical strength in order to wield them xD
  • Lythawan said:
    If the old games taught us anything, its that the scariest solo player option is often the mage with a pet.
    Or a Bard with movement speed buffs that can charm high level monsters.  :p
  • Mage combined with anything sounds cool so hard to choose, but I would have to go with mage rogue even though I have no clue how rogue subclass would augment mages skills lold.
  • I've always been fascinated with the concept of the fighter-mage (or mage-fighter, since they are two different things in AoC). Combining magical enhancement and enchantment with melee expertise just screams 'fun' to me.

Of course, since I've discovered the joys of healing with Rift, a mage-cleric (or cleric-mage) also tickles my fancy.
  • Nefelia said:
    I've always been fascinated with the concept of the fighter-mage (or mage-fighter, since they are two different things in AoC). Combining magical enhancement and enchantment with melee expertise just screams 'fun' to me.

Of course, since I've discovered the joys of healing with Rift, a mage-cleric (or cleric-mage) also tickles my fancy.
    Same here! 

I'm interested in what actually influences damage in Ashes of Creation and that will directly effect wether It will be a viable way to pvp or not.

Take ESO for example, You can use the Sword and shield line passives to get the defense, use it to gain stamina back. But you can spec all you "attribute" points into Magic so you have a large magic pool and this also increases your damage with magic in conjuction with your Armor sets you wear. 

I know AoC will be very unique and different in how combat and damage flows, But I hope it allows for a similar way to allow melee magic to be a viable PvP progression path as it has been my staple in most every game I play :)
  • Mage/Mage for big fights for sure. Might as well have that high DPS. Mage/Rogue for contested areas (assuming they get a sort of stealth).
  • Atama said:
    nagash said:
    Draugar said:
    “So no one told me unlife was gonna be this way...”

lifen´t deadn´t
    edited August 2018
    accidental double post o.o
    edited August 2018
    Surprised so few Mage Tanks.....must not be a lot of Ultima Online Players here lul
  • I'm leaning towards Mage/Cleric. I guess it really just depends on how the class system works though and how fun the combat is. If Mage/Fighter really is a true melee spell caster that could be pretty cool.

However, I enjoy "Warlock" type classes that deal damage and have some healing. So I think Mage/Cleric is that ticket so far. (I could be wrong)